1969 was the last year of the first series of Giulia 105-series convertibles. Launched in 1966 as a Weber-carbureted 1570cc roundtail spider (Osso di Sepia, or cuttlefish) nicknamed the Duetto - featured in the iconic movie, The Graduate
- it was replaced in late 1967 by a 1779cc version which for the USA came with SPICA mechanical fuel injection. A 1300 Junior version was introduced in 1968 and then the whole program changed for 1970 with the cut-off, Coda Tronca,
Kamm tail version, to be followed the next year with a 1962cc motor. This example is an all-original, virtually 'untouched' example.
1966 saw the introduction of the new Alfa Spider to replace the aging Giulietta Spider. Pininfarina designed and built the car based on the Giulia 105 chassis, with a shorter wheelbase. In 1967, the 1750 Spider Veloce was introduced. A four-cylinder 1,779cc engine motivated models sold in the States, which featured mechanical fuel injection by Spica. Performance was brisk with a 0-60 mph time of 9.2 seconds and a top speed of nearly 120 mph. Additional upgrades were made to the suspension, brakes, electrics, wheels and tires.
This straw colored 1969 Alfa Romeo Spider was traded to Brumos Porsche in 1973 by a University of Florida professor. The car was mechanically in excellent condition, but cosmetically below average. As a gift to his father, Robert Snodgrass Jr. had the car totally restored to original condition. The car remains in remarkable condition due to careful use by its owner and the car of the Brumos staff.
The Alfa Romeo 1750 was introduced in 1967 and offered in a variety of body styles and designs. The 1750 Berlina sedan and 1750 GTV coupes were introduced in 1967. Inspiration came from the Giulia cars which used the body shell but had changes to the trim. The coupe version sat on a shorter wheelbase. In 1968 a spider version was introduced. Production continued until 1972 when the 1750 series was replaced by the 2000 series. In total over 100,000 examples were produced during this time.
Power was courtesy of a 1779 cc twin-car four-cylinder engine which produced about 130 horsepower and 140 foot-pounds of torque. The five-speed manual gearbox was all-synchromesh with a hydraulic clutch.
By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2008
'Every time I see an Alfa Romeo, I tip my hat,' said Henry Ford. A class completely on its own, the Milan based company has produced both auto sport and sports vehicles since 1910.
In 1967 Alfa Romeo produced the 1750/2000; which was a range of Compact executive vehicles offered in a variety of body styles and designs. During this same year the 1750 Berlina sedan and 1750 GTV coupes debuted, carrying designs by Bertone. The Giulia cars used the body shell but had trim changes, which inspired the 1750 design. The 1750 models replaced the Giulia Berlina. The 1750 had a much bigger engine and revised bodywork in comparison to its predecessor. It shared a majority of its parts with other concurrent models in the Alfa Romeo range. In comparison though the 1750 sold less successfully than the Giulia Berlina.
The 1750 coupe was featured on a shorter wheelbase. Power came from the 1779 cc twin-car four-cylinder engine that produced around 130 hp and 140 lb/ft of torque. With a hydraulic clutch the five-speed manual gearbox was all synchromesh. The 1.8 L engine piped out 118 PS with two twin side draught carbs. The 1750 was outfitted with SPICA fuel injection for the United States market. The 1750 range was designed to top the sedan range, right above the 1,300 cc and 1,600 cc version of the Giulia, but in the U.S. the Giulia sedan was removed from the lineup and replaced entirely by the 1750 Berlina.
Sharing many of the same internal panels, the 1750 body shell was designed with a longer wheelbase than the Giulia, but with updated external panels. It featured the same windscreen too. Bertone was responsible for the revision on the 1750, and though it still slightly resembled the Giulia, special care was taken to differentiate the models. The cars distinctive creases were smoothed out and trim changes were made.
The 1750 Berlina was given an experimental three-speed ZF automatic gearbox in 1971 and dubbed the 1750A Berlina. Only 252 units were produced according to official Alfa Romeo records, and very few are thought to have survived today. Some models didn't have the model plate with embossed production date. Unfortunately the automatic gearbox wasn't a good fit with the four-cylinder motor and acceleration was slow while fuel consumption was sky high.
In 1968 the spider version was debuted. In 1972 the 2000 series replaced the 1750 series. More than 100,000 examples were produced during its lifespan. Sources:
By Jessica Donaldson
|Design-Driven Performance Cars Lead the Way to Gooding & Company's Scottsdale Auctions|
|Highlights Include the 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB Long Nose Alloy, the 1965 Ferrari 500 Superfast, the 1969 American Motors AMX/3 and the 1975 Lancia Stratos HF Stradale.
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (December 9, 2016) – Gooding & Company, the auction house acclaimed for selling the world's most significant and valuable collector cars, is honored to announce exceptional performance cars from Ferrari, American Motors, and Lancia at its 10th annual two-day Scottsdale Auctions on January 20 and 2...[Read more...]|
|ONE OF THE GREAT FERRARI MASTERPIECES LEADS BONHAMS GRAND PALAIS SALE|
|Bonhams returns to Paris for the annual Grand Palais Sale on 4 February 2016, led by the magnificent 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB, estimated at €2,500,000-3,500,000 and offered without reserve.
Developed by marque founder, Enzo Ferrari, the 275 GTB is considered a masterpiece of motor car design. Boasting a V12, 300 bhp engine, it was the successor to the 250 series, spearheaded by the legendary 250 GTO (currently the most valuable motor car sold at auction, following Bonhams $38,115,000 sale ...[Read more...]|
|Postwar Ferrari Named Best of Show at 2014 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance|
| ||1954 Ferrari 375 MM Scaglietti Coupe Named 'Best of Show'
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 17, 2014) -- Excited cheers echoed across the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links Sunday when a 1954 Ferrari 375 MM Scaglietti Coupe was named Best of Show at the 64th annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. The car, owned by Jon Shirley of Medina, Washington, was the first postwar car to take the top award at the prestigious event in nearly five decades. It was also the first Ferrari to win.
|1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi is IMRRC's 2013 Raffle Car|
|WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. (July 18, 2013) – A 1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi, one of the most recognized of all Ferrari models, is being offered by the International Motor Racing Research Center as its 2013 raffle car.
Ferrari-red, this icon of the 1970s and '80s was generously donated to the Center by Governing Council member Greg Galdi.
The car has been driven fewer than 1,500 miles.
The mid-engined, targa-topped 308 GTS was introduced in 1977 and is well-known to most Americans as the car ...[Read more...]|
|Factory Certified Short Wheelbase California spyder Latest Star Attraction For RM's Monterey Auction|
|RM Auctions, the world's largest collector car auction house for investment-quality automobiles, is honored to announce the addition of a stunning 1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder, chassis 3119 GT, to its Monterey sale, August 17–18 in California.
Considered one of the most beautiful and desirable Ferraris in existence, the California Spyder is the epitome of prestige and magnificent styling, featuring stunning bodywork designed by Pininfarina and masterfully executed by Scaglietti, ...[Read more...]|