1961 Porsche 356B news, pictures, specifications, and information
Cabriolet
The 356B was yet another refinement of Porsche's 356, which had defined Porsche through its short lifespan. The 356B was introduced at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1959, but without a Carrera model. The Carrera model was reintroduced at the same show two years later, aimed at elite Porsche buyers and racers. The fastest model offered, it was powered by a 1.6-liter, four-cam engine producing 134 horsepower.
Cabriolet
Chassis Num: 154048
Engine Num: 87401
Vin Num: 40024
Sold for $140,250 at 2014 RM Auctions.
In 1954, Max Hoffman brought 15 Special Roadsters to the United States. Between 1954 and 1958, there were 4,144 examples built. This particular example is a 356 B 1600 Super Cabriolet by Reutter, one of 3,367 Cabriolets built.

While the Speedsters were Spartan and minimalistic, the Cabriolets offered more practical and usable features, such as a real top and roll-up windows.

This car is finished in Aetna Blue, with a Light Grey leather and corduroy interior. The car was in regular use as late as 2003, before being placed in storage. The current owner purchased the car in 2010 from Robert Blair, who had inherited it from his father. At the time, it had 77,600 miles, which are believed to be original.

The car was given an extensive $50,000 body-off rotisserie restoration, which was completed in November of 2013.

The car was equipped from new with an exterior mirror, a Cabriolet cover, and Michelin tires. The interior is refinished in the original Light Grey leather with corduroy inserts, and it has the correct square-weave carpet. The car also has the correct date-coded wheels, a fitted top, a tool roll, and an owner's manual.
By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2014
Cabriolet
The T5 body type 356 B Roadster bodies were built by the Belgian Porsche importer, and coachbuilders Anciens Etablissement d'Iterem Frieres S.A. in Brussels. In essence the Roadster was a development of the A Speedster and Convertible D with a larger windshield and rear window, and larger side windows with conventional winders. The top, like the Speedster, was unlined but it did give more headroom than previous models. Both 60 and 75 horsepower engines were offered. Perhaps not quite as handsome as the Speedster, the Roadster was at least much more practical.
Roadster
The T5 body 356B Roadster bodies were built by the Belgian Porsche importer, using coachbuilders Anciens Etablissement d'Iterem Frieres S.A. in Brussels. In essence the Roadster was a development of the A Speedster and Convertible D with a larger windshield and rear window, and larger side windows with conventional winders. The top, like the Speedster, was unlined but it did give more headroom than previous models. Two engines were offered, the Super 90 taking full advantage of the extra horsepower version. Perhaps not quite as racy as the Speedster, the Roadster was at least infinitely more practical.
Coupe
Chassis Num: 112930
High bid of $60,000 at 2008 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
This 1961 Porsche 356 Super 90 Coupe was modified in the mid 2000s by Klub Sport of West Palm Beach, Florida specifically for historic racing purposes. It complies with the majority of vintage regulations for competing in any sporting event. There is a full roll cage, modern and safer suspension components, disc brakes, and a fuel cell. The 1600cc air-cooled engine produces about 90 horsepower and is mated to a four-speed gearbox.

In 2008, this vehicle was offered for sale at the 'Sports & Classics of Monterey' presented by RM Auctions. It had an estimated value of $75,000 - $95,000 and was offered without reserve. Though it was listed without a reserve, it was not sold for the high bid of $60,000.
By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2009
Cabriolet
Chassis Num: 154790
Engine Num: 604735
Gearbox Num: 43339
Sold for $176,000 at 2014 RM Auctions.
The Porsche 356 Cabriolet, priced at $4,103 POE, had a top speed of almost 100 mph and offered comfortable seats and thickly padded top. This 356 Cabriolet is believed to have been the 229th example of 1,008 Reutter-bodied cabriolets built for the 1961 model year. It was delivered on February 22, 1961, to Celia Elkey, of Iowa City, Iowa, who purchased the car from Porsche dealer Empire Motors in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The next owner was Dick Grosser of Hiawatha, Iowa, after which the car relocated to the Oklahoma City area, where its current owner acquired it from James Robertson, of Norman, Oklahoma.

Mr. Robertson treated the car to its correct original mechanical and cosmetic specifications, with the work being completed in late 2011. It is finished in Aetna Blue and has a red leather interior with a black top and matching tonneau cover.

At some point in the car's history, its original 1600 engine (number 604996) was replaced. It currently runs a period-correct block, which is only 261 digits off the original.

The current odometer reading is 78,750 miles.
By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2014
During the war Ferdinand 'Ferry' Porsche and a handful of his proven, faithful employees had started work on development number 356 in their workshops moved to the town of Gmünd in Kärnten. The first design drawings were completed on 17 July 1947 and on 8 June 1948 the Kärnten state government issued a special permit homologating the car. Returning home after being held by the French as a prisoner of war and bailed out of custody by his family, Professor Dr.-Ing.h.c.Ferdinand Porsche, Ferry's father, stated right away that 'every single bolt was just right'. No 1 was then followed by a small series of 52 additional cars built in Gmünd, production in Stuttgart from 1950 - 1965 subsequently amounting to 78,000 units of the 356 model Porsche No 1, a mid-engined roadster, is completed and homologated in the Austrian town of Gmünd. The engine displaces 1131 cc and develops maximum output of 35 bhp(26 kW). The first few 356 coupes are made of light alloy.
The Porsche 1500 S ('Super') was launched in 1952 and was capable of producing 70 bhp.

In 1953, the Porsceh 1300 S producing 60 horsepower was added to the Porsche line-up. This was also the year the Porsche was introduced to the Únited States. The split windshields are also replaced by bent windshields during this year.

1954 marked the production of the first 200 Porsche Speedsters.

In 1955, the Speedster becomes a genuine sales success. Production of the 356 A series starts in autumn wîth the proven 1300 and 1300 S power units soon joined by the 1600(1582 cc, 60 bhp/44 kW), 1600 S (1582 cc, 75 bhp/55 kW) and 1500 GS -the first Carrera marking the introduction of the new sports engine wîth four overhead camshafts - (1498 cc, 100 bhp/74 kW). The 1100-ccengines are dropped from the range.

During the 1956 model year, Porsche produces its 10,000th 356 model.

In 1957, the sporting and Spartan Porsche 1500 GS Carrera is joined by the more comfortable 1500GS de Luxe model.

In 1958, output of the Porsche 356 A 1500 GS Carrera GT is boosted to 110 bhp/81 kW. The Speedster is replaced by the Convertible D wîth a larger windscreen and winding windows at the side. The 1300-cc engines are dropped from the range.

In 1959, the Carrera receives extra power and is now called the 1600 GS-GT, wîth the sports version offering more output (1588 cc, 115 bhp/85 kW) than the de Luxe model (105 bhp/77 kW). The 356 B series is introduced in autumn, the Convertible D being renamed the Roadster.

Source - Porsche
The Porsche 365C has been named the number ten on the list of Top Sports Cars of the 1960s by Sports Car International in 2004. The Porsche 356 is still widely regarded as a collector car that has capably stood the test of time.

There is some debate over which vehicle was the first official Porsche, the pre-war Porsche 64 being actually a VW racing automobile. The 356 was a sports car designed by Porsche that sold from 1948 through 1964 and was Porsche's first production automobile. A prototype for the 356, the 'Number 1' had a mid-engine. The name for the 356 was chosen as it was the 356th project off the Porsche design desk. In 1949, production officially began in Stuttgart, Germany.

Designed and fabricated by Ferdinand 'Ferry' Porsche (the son of well-known Dr. Ing Ferdinand Porsche, founder of Porsche motors), the Project # 356 concept was then styled by Irwin Komenda. Bailed out of custody by his family, Professor Dr.-Ing.h.c.Ferdinand Porsche was a held as a prisoner of war by the French. During the war, Ferry Porsche and a small handful of his faithful employees began work on the 356 in their workshops moved to the town of Gmünd in Kärnten. On Dr. Porsche's return to his family, he stated right away that 'every single bolt was just right'.

On July 17th, 1947, the first design drawings were completed, and it was an entire year later when the Kärnten state government issued a special permit homologating the car on June 8th, 1948.

Komenda, born in 1904 in Austria, was also responsible for contributing substantially to the construction of the Volkswagen, Cistalia, Auto Union racers, and other vehicles of the day. Joining Porsche's design bureau in 1931, Komenda held various positions at Steyr, Daimler-Benz and other coach shops in both Austria and Germany. He is responsible for contributing to a variety of other designs in Porsche's history, and was the chief engineer and head of Porsche's coachwork from 1955 until he died in 1966. The 'confidential clerk' for Porsche, Karl Peter-Rabe became the chief business manager, after Dr. Ing Albert Prizing, until 1965. Prizing was a business manager who is famous for bringing 37 orders back to the factory following one importer's conference in Wolfsberg in 1950.

The prototype was taken various times by Ferry, often with just the rolling chassis without body, up the steep mountain roads surrounding the city to test its agile handling and durability. Ferdinand Porsche went on to live a long life, and died on March 27th, at the age of 88. Contributing to the handling of the prototype was the gearbox and suspension specialist Karl Frolich.

Evolving through several updates through the years, the 365 was originally available as a coupe, a cabriolet and finally a roadster. The vehicle changed from mid-engine to rear, along with a myriad of details that evolved over the 22 year run of the model, though the recognizable shape of the vehicle remained the same, a timeless classic. The most desirable versions were the Porsche 356 Carrera, which came with a special racing engine, and the 'Super 90' and 'Speedster' models. The same price as a Cadillac at the time, the price of a late 1950's Porsche was nearly $4,000. Today, a 356 Carrera model can sell for well over $150,000.

The very first Porsche sport car was hand built in Gmünd/Kärnten, Austria. The entire aluminum body was hand beaten over a wooden buck. Without the benefits of a machine shop, all of the engine and drive-train components were made completely. Over 50 Gmünd cars were built and sold primarily in Austria and Germany. To be closer to parts suppliers, the Porsche Firm, located to Zuffenhausen, Austria, near the Reutter coachworks following the war. The only Porsche to ever have the engine mounted in front of the rear axle, the 356/1 was open top 2-seater. Designed with a tubular chassis, the vehicle was air-cooled and came with a 110 cc engine that remarkably light and quick for the times. Following this first ever radical design, every Porsche 356 to follow was constructed with the engine in the rear, behind the axle.
The Reutter Company, located in Stuttgart Germany, was given the assignment in late 1949 to construct 500 body works for an adjusted model of the 356 unit. This classic 356 was capable of reaching a speed of 140 kph. Under the belief that selling more than 500 units was an impossible feat, it was a pleasant surprise on March 15, 1954, car no. 5,000 left the factory.

Over the years, the 356 was updated with various mechanical refinements, though the basic shape was retained and remained instantly recognizable from year to year. The final 356B Roadster was built in early 1963, while both Coupe and Cabriolet models continued to be built every year up until 1965.

With a top speed of over 85 mph (135kph), a total of only 4 models of the 356 were produced in 1948. The 356/1 came with a 1.1 liter engine that was capable of making 40 horsepower. Less than 60 units were produced during 1949 and the earlier part of 1950. These very rare and unique models are known today as the Gmünd Coupes. The tiny sport cars continued to be built during 1950, but now at a factory in Stuttgart where Porsche moved production. A total of 298 units were built and delivered to their owners by the end of 1950.

One year later, three engines, all of them were flat-4's 'boxers' that were air cooled and were available from the factory. They were available at the 1,100cc, the 1,300cc, and the 1,500cc. The 1500 Super was the top power-plant during late 1952, which came with a synchromesh transmission. That same year the America Roadster was designed and created. Only a total of sixteen models were produced, and all units were an aluminum cabriolet body that came with a removable windshield. In 1992, this vehicle inspired the 40th Anniversary 1992 911 America Roadster.

Under the advice of Max Hoffman, the sole importer of Porsches into the U.S., the 356 'Speedster' was introduced in late 1954. The idea was to produce a lower cost vehicle that was a racier version that would appeal to the American market. Proving to be an instantaneous hit, the Speedster came with a low, raked windshield that was easily removed, bucket seats, and a minimal folding top. In 1954, the Speedster was available for $2,995. This unit was available in a variety of six different engine types, the 1100, 1300, 1300A, 1300S, 1500 and 1500S. The 1500Super was the top of the line model, while the Coupe and Cabriolet wore the 'Continental' badge designation. In 1955 the 1600 motor went into production.

In 1956, the 356A was unveiled to the world, and had an all steel body, curved windshield and smaller wheels. When the cars were introduced, numerous subtle differences in the shape of the body and features were highlighted. In 1956 the 10,000th 356 unit rolled off the assembly line. The 356 Carrera was introduced at the same time, which came with a 1500GS engine. Before being replaced in 1959 by the Convertible D model, the Speedster peaked at a total of 1,171 units produced. In this same year, the 1300 engine was dropped from the line. A new project was the result from continued improvements to the 356A, the Type 2 or 'T-2', now with a new transmission, the 644 replaced the earlier 519 with an improved shifter, better synchros, dual nose mounts and a split case design. A higher horsepower is achieved in 1958 as continuous improvements were made in the Carrera engines.

The D model featured more comfortable seating, along with a more practical windshield, and glass side windows. In an attempt to boost sinking sales, around 1300 of these models were produced. While previous models were developed by Reutter coachbuilders, the Convertible D model was developed by Drauz, which is what the ‘D' stands for. The D model falls somewhere between a Speedster and a Cabriolet in both luxury and lightweight appointments. In the later months of 1959, the Convertible D became a roadster with the new T-5 body style. Today to the convertible D is considered very desirable, due to the low number of units produced.

In 1960 the 356B offered the S90, or 'Super 90' motor as an available option. The vehicle also had a counterweighted crank, sodium-filled valves and Solex P40-II carburetors. The Karmann Coachworks were employed in 1961 to produce the 'Hardtop', a Cabriolet body with a fixed hard roof. The nickname 'Notchback' was affixed to these cars because of their profile. Nearly 1750 of these vehicles were produced during the two years of its production.

It was one year later when the 356B was introduced, updated with an entirely new body and Super 90 engine. In 1962 and 1963, the engine was once again revised, and changed body styles. A very small number of 356B 4-seater coupes were produced by a Swiss company. Though rare, several models are still around today. Next was the introduction of the Carrera 2 in April of 1962, and only around 450 models were produced in both Coupe and Cabriolet form. In the same year, Karmann produced 2170 coupes, and Reutter produced 4100. The production for the year topped 7900 when the almost 1600 Cabriolets are added into the count. The discussion is broached by Porsche with Reutter to purchase the coachmaker, and finally, after 12-years of co-operation, the successes are consolidated. 'Christophorus', a customer magazine filled with news and background on the Porsche lifestyle is launched by the Porsche factory.

Finally the 356C, the final model, known also as the Type 6 (T-6), was available in 1964 with an engine that came from the same lines as previous Spyder engines, the most powerful pushrod engine Porsche every produced, was cable of producing 130 horsepower. Offering the 1600C, 1600SC and Carrerra 2 engines, the 356C featured 4-wheel disc brakes. Both the C and SC were available for purchase in either Coupe or Cabriolet form.

In 1964, a total of 14,151 356 units were produced. Porsche had achieved a production rate higher in that year alone than the entire line production of the first 10 years of the Porsche 356. The 911 was introduced at this time, presaging the end of the 356 run. Through the end of 1965, the company continued to sell the 365C in North America as a lower-cost vehicle.

Achieving a victory in the 1100cc class during its first outing, the original 356-001 vehicle was raced at the Innsbruck city race. In Austria, on the 8th of June 1948, the Porsche was homologated by the state government of Kärnten. Frequently touring the world for special car shows and historic events, the original Porsche '001' vehicle is in the Factory Museum.

Near the end of 1965, more than 76,000 Porsche 356 models were produced and sold. Following 17 years of production, the model 912 eventually took over the 356's stance in the market. The push-rod engine from the 356 was reused to power the 'entry level' 912 model that was produced from 1965 to 1969.

The Porsche '901' was introduced at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1963. Later after a protest by Peugeot, the name was changed to '911'. In 1964 the Porsche 911 began production.

By Jessica Donaldson
 
Recent Vehicle Additions

2017 Seat Arona

2018 BMW X3

2018 Lincoln Navigator Black Label

1923 Rickenbacker Model B

1940 Ford Lloyd Rockey Special

2017 Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer
Coys Returns To Essen Techno Classica With Multi-Million Euro Classic And Sports Car Auction
International auctioneers Coys return to Techno Classica Essen with multi-million classic and sports car auction on April 8th in the Gruga Halle at the Messe Essen, Germany. The 120-car auction features a 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing, one of the first 200 produced and estimated between €950,000 and €1,100,000, a 1987 Porsche 959 Speedster with only 8,000km from new (€1,200,000 - €1,500,000), a 1968 Ferrari 330 GTC (€550,000 - €600,000), a 1938 BMW 328 Roadster (€700,000 - €800,000) and ...[Read more...]
CORVETTE RACING AT DAYTONA: HISTORIC 1-2 FINISH FOR CORVETTE C7.R AT ROLEX 24
Gavin, Milner, Fassler take 0.034-second victory in No. 4 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R · Closest finish in Rolex 24 race history · Garcia, Magnussen, Rockenfeller second in No. 3 Corvette · Second straight Rolex 24 win for Corvette Racing and third since 2001 DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Jan. 31, 2016) – A 24-hour race came down to 0.034 seconds Sunday as Corvette Racing won the 54th Rolex 24 At Daytona when the team's pair of Chevrolet Corvette C7.R race cars finished 1-2 in the GT Le ...[Read more...]
FORMULA E CAR COMPLETES SUCCESSFUL TEST DEBUT
• Fully-electric Spark-Renault SRT_01E breaks cover at La Ferte Gaucher circuit
LA FERTÉ GAUCHER, FRANCE, (21 November, 2013) – Formula E's new fully-electric race car, the Spark-Renault SRT_01E, completed is successful test debut recently at the La Ferté Gaucher circuit near Choisy-le-Roi, France. Unveiled earlier this year (September) at the Frankfurt Motor Show, the new single-seater was driven by Lucas di Grassi who will be undertaking the early test and development work...[Read more...]
BMW TEAM RLL READY TO GET BACK ON TRACK AT LIME ROCK PARK
 Woodcliff Lake, N.J. – July 1, 2013 . . . The American Le Mans Series re-starts its 2013 season at Lime Rock Park, in Lakeville, Conn. on July 6th after an eight week hiatus for teams competing in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The Western Connecticut circuit BMW of North America, LLC calls home has been the site of many important races and wins for the brand and the two BMW Z4 GTE racing cars will roll out of the BMW Team RLL transporters for this weekend's race ready to address some unfini...[Read more...]
Six Decades Of Ferrari At Mecum's Daytime Auction
1954 Ferrari 750 Monza Headlines Select Offering of Italian Illuminati Mecum Auctions will present its 4th annual Monterey Daytime Auction, Aug. 16-18, 2012 at the Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf course, featuring some of finest machines Ferrari has ever produced headlined by a 1954 750 Monza Spyder Scaglietti. By turns part of the Engelbert Stieger, Brando Wang, Walter Burani and Roberto Crippa collections, 1954 Ferrari 750 Monza Spyder Scaglietti S/N 0462MD...[Read more...]

356
550/718 Sports Racing Cars
597
904
906
907
908
911
911 GT1
912
914
917
918 Spyder
924
928
934/935
936
944
956 and 962
968
Beutler 356B
Boxster
Carrera GT
Cayenne
Cayman
GT3
Macan
Panamera
Type 959

Image Left 1960 356 Carrera GTImage Left 1960 356BImage Left 1960 356 GS/GT
© 1998-2017. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.