AT A GLANCE: INFINITI G37 COUPE
The all-new 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe, which makes its world debut at the 2007 New York International Auto Show, combines the exhilarating performance, stunning styling and modern, sporty interior of the original Infiniti G Coupe, accelerating each to new levels. The new, second generation G Coupe is set to arrive at Infiniti retailers nationwide in August 2007.
Leading the enhancements to the G37 Coupe is the first-ever application of the new 3.7-litre V6 engine wîth VVEL (for Variable Valve Event and Lift). Estimated at 330 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque, the VQ37VHR contains approximately 35 percent unique parts content from the new VQ35HR engine introduced in the 2007 G35 Sedan last year.
Along wîth utilising a larger displacement than the previous 3.5-litre powerplant, the VVEL system combines hydraulic-controlled variable valve timing and electronically controlled variable valve lift on the intake side, helping to improve not only performance and response but also emissions and fuel efficiency. Overall vehicle fuel economy improvements are estimated to be nearly one mpg better than the G35 Sedan and nearly two mpg better than the previous generation G35 Coupe (actual EPA ratings will be announced at a later date).
The engine is backed by a choice of an upgraded electronically controlled 5-speed automatic transmission wîth available paddle shifters or a significantly revised and more refined 6-speed manual transmission. (posted on conceptcarz.com)
The G37 Coupe's enhanced platform and chassis also includes an available advanced 4-Wheel Active Steer system (4WAS), which helps improve vehicle handling performance by adjusting both the front §teering gear ratios and the rear suspension geometry according to §teering input and vehicle speed. Braking and handling is targeted to be among the best in the luxury sport coupe class.
All of these advanced performance systems are wrapped in an all-new seductive skin. The G37 Coupe exterior design features flowing front fender curves, a wave-style hood, smooth front fascia wîth Infiniti's signature double-arch grille and L-shaped headlights. The side character line and side sills, as well as large wheel and tyre packages transmit an added sense of power and vibrancy.
Inside, Infiniti-levels of craftsmanship are apparent throughout the all-new interior design, including the use of unique materials and finishes wîth traditional Japanese design cues. The new G Coupe also includes an extensive list of available technological features – a touch screen navigation system wîth XM® NavTraffic™ real-time traffic function, RearView Monitor and an available 11-speaker Infiniti 'Studio on Wheels'™ by Bose® audio system wîth 24-bit Burr Brown DAC, 3-way door speaker arrays wîth 10-inch woofers and a 9.3-gigabyte Music Box hard drive. Highlights of the 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe include:
· All-new exterior design, featuring seductive and muscular shapes, including flowing front fender lines wîth low silhouette roofline, strong side character lines and side sills, wave-form hood Aggressive zero-lift front end styling wîth smooth front fascia, integrated fog lamps and double-arch grille
· Infiniti signature L-shape High Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-xenon headlights, available Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS)
· Large LED Infiniti G-style taillights, large trunk opening and available integrated RearView Monitor
· Standard rear underbody air diffusers
· Large diameter dual exhaust outlets wîth chrome finishers
· New 18-inch or 19-inch wheel and tyre packages
· Únique front fascia and side sills on G37 Coupe Journey wîth Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT
· Available rear spoiler on G37 Coupe Journey wîth Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT model, achieving zero rear lift
· Available sliding glass moonroof wîth tilt and one-touch open/close feature
· Available heated outside mirrors
· Eight exterior colours available
Engine and Driveline
· New 3.7-litre VVEL 24-valve DOHC V6 producing an estimated 330 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque
· Variable Valve Event and Lift (VVEL) intake camshafts, incorporated wîth the Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS), allows for 7500 rpm redline
· Ram air dual intake, equal length exhaust manifold and dual exhaust system wîth laser-welded rear mufflers produce an authentic performance sound
· Choice of electronically controlled 5-speed automatic transmission wîth Downshift Rev Matching and quick-shift DS mode and ASC (Adaptive Shift Control), or newly revised close-ratio lightweight 6-speed manual transmission
· Rear Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD) on G37 Coupe Journey wîth Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT model
Suspension, Steering and Braking
· Enhanced FM platform, 36 percent stiffer than previous generation, lower in overall height, wîth increased front and rear track width
· 4-wheel independent multi-link suspension (front single pivot double-wishbone design) wîth extensive use of lightweight aluminium components and large front and rear stabiliser bars
· Power-assisted twin-orifice vehicle-speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion §teering
· Exclusive Infiniti 4-Wheel Active Steer (4WAS) (available on G37 Coupe Journey wîth Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT model) – includes unique chassis configuration, adjustable geometry rear suspension and automatically variable front §teering ratio
· Standard Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)
· 4-wheel power-assisted vented disc brakes, 4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA)
· G37 Coupe Journey wîth Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT model brakes feature 14-inch rotors wîth 4-piston front callipers and 13.8-inch rotors wîth 2-piston callipers rear wîth 'Infiniti' lettering
· Available Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) wîth Preview Braking
· Standard 'split 5-spoke' 18x8-inch aluminium alloy wheel design wîth 225/50VR18 all-season tyres
· New 10-spoke 19x8.5-inch front wheels and 225/45WR19 front tyres and 19x9-inch rear wheels wîth 245/40WR19 rear tyres (available on G37 Coupe Journey, standard on G37 Journey wîth Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT model)
· Standard Tyre Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
· Driver-oriented sporty interior wîth luxurious passenger space
· Infiniti signature 'double-wave' instrument panel and Infiniti-signature analogue clock
· Dramatic, full-length centre console wîth a leather and aluminium-clad shifter
· Available magnesium automatic transmission paddle shifters
· Special aluminium-alloy accents, inspired by elegant, handmade Japanese 'Washi' paper, on centre console, instrument panel and door panels; available genuine African Rosewood trim
· Standard 7.0-inch colour monitor display, available RearView Monitor
· Standard leather-appointed seating, available in Wheat, Graphite or Stone
· Standard 8-way power-adjustable driver's seat and 4-way power-adjustable front passenger's seat (G37 Coupe); 8-way power-adjustable driver's seat and 8-way power-adjustable front passenger's seat (G37 Coupe Journey); 14-way power-adjustable driver's seat and 8-way power adjustable front passenger's seat (G37 Coupe Journey wîth Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT model)
· G37 Coupe Journey wîth Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT model feature sport-styled seats wîth thigh extensions, driver's power adjustable torso and thigh bolsters and aluminium pedals
· Hand-stitched leather-wrapped §teering wheel wîth §teering wheel-mounted audio and cruise control switches, tilt and telescopic §teering column wîth unique stitching on G37 Coupe Journey wîth Sport Package and Sport 6MT model
· Electroluminescent instrumentation wîth white and violet illumination
· Standard Infiniti Intelligent Key wîth Push Button Ignition
· Available 11-speaker Infiniti 'Studio on Wheels'™ by Bose® audio system wîth 24-bit Burr Brown DAC, 3-way door speaker arrays wîth 10-inch woofers
· Standard audio system featuring in-dash CD player wîth Radio Data System (RDS), auxiliary audio input, mp3 playback capability and 6 speakers; standard XM® satellite radio
· Available Infiniti Navigation System wîth available XM® NavTraffic™ real-time traffic information; voice activation for navigation, audio and HVAC functions; 9.3-gigabyte Music Box hard drive wîth compact flash drive slot
· Available Bluetooth® hands-free phone system
· Digital automatic temperature control wîth standard micro filtration and rear floor heater vents, available dual HVAC control wîth available centre rear air conditioning vents (not available on Sport 6MT model)
Safety and Security
· Standard Infiniti Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) wîth dual-stage front supplemental air bags wîth seat belt sensors and occupant classification sensor
· Standard front-seat and roof-mounted front and rear curtain side-impact supplemental air bags
· 3-point ALR/ELR seat belts (driver's seat ELR only)
· Front seat belt adjustable upper anchors wîth pretensioners and load limiters
· Available pre-crash seat belts wîth motion sensor on the brake pedal
· Front seat Active Head Restraints
· Zone Body construction wîth energy-dispersing side structure
· Engine mount breakaway design wîth breakaway driveshaft
· Retracting brake pedal to help reduce lower leg injuries in a severe crash
· LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether for CHildren) child seat anchorage system
Models and Manufacturing
· Available in G37 Coupe, G37 Coupe Journey and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT models
· Assembled by Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. In Tochigi, Japan
ALL-NEW INFINITI G37 COÚPE DEBÚTS AT NEW YORK AÚTO SHOW
SETS NEW STANDARDS FOR STYLE, PERFORMANCE AND LÚXÚRY
– Highlights Include New 330 Horsepower* V6, Seductive Styling and Luxury Appointments –
The all-new 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe, which makes its world debut at the 2007 New York International Auto Show, combines the exhilarating performance, stunning styling and modern, sporty interior of the original Infiniti G Coupe and accelerates each to new levels. Among the key enhancements to the new second-generation G Coupe are a larger, more powerful 3.7-litre V6 engine, available advanced 4-Wheel Active Steer system, a dramatic new exterior design and a refined interior wîth intuitive, integrated technology. The G37 Coupe joins the recently introduced, all-new 2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan in Infiniti showrooms nationwide in August.
'The new G35 Sedan, which has been named to both Car and Driver's '10 Best Cars' and Automobile magazine's 'All-Stars' list, has set the stage for the introduction of the new G37 Coupe,' said Mark Igo, vice president and general manager, Infiniti Division. 'The new Coupe builds on the styling, performance and interior enhancements of the G Sedan, adding the dynamic style, sporty atmosphere and expressive driving character expected of a class-leading luxury sport coupe. The line starts here.'
Exhilarating Performance From a New Engine Design
Leading the enhancements to the 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe is the first-ever application of the new 3.7-litre V6 engine wîth VVEL (for Variable Valve Event and Lift).
Estimated at 330 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque, the new 'VQ37VHR' contains approximately 35 percent new and unique parts from the new VQ35HR engine introduced in the 2007 G35 Sedan just last year. Both the Coupe's VQ37VHR and the Sedan's VQ35HR engines are based on the award-winning VQ engine series, named one of the 'Ten Best Engines' by Ward's Auto World magazine for 13 consecutive years.
Along wîth utilising a larger displacement than the previous 3.5-litre powerplant, the G37 Coupe's new VVEL system combines hydraulic-controlled variable valve timing and electronically controlled variable valve lift on the intake side to help improve performance and response. The VVEL system is also expected to improve emissions and fuel efficiency. The VVEL intake camshafts, featuring continuously variable lift control teamed wîth the Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS), allow for a 7,500 rpm redline.
The engine also features increased cylinder block height (from the previous 3.5-litre design), ladder frame construction for greater rigidity, large crank journal and pin diameters, asymmetric piston skirts, twin knock sensors, an electronically controlled 'drive-by-wire' throttle system, molybdenum coated lightweight pistons, Iridium spark plugs and a symmetric twin air intake system.
A new, specially tuned dual exhaust system has been designed wîth equal length exhaust manifolds and low muffler exhaust backpressure to help improve engine breathing. Both intake and exhaust enhance driving pleasure wîth their authentic performance notes.
Rated at an estimated 330 horsepower, the new engine is not only considerably more powerful than the previous generation G Coupe (rated at 275 hp wîth 5AT, 293 hp wîth 6MT), but is expected to offer increased fuel mileage and reduced emissions levels. Overall vehicle fuel economy improvements are estimated to be nearly one mpg better than the G35 Sedan and nearly two mpg better than the previous generation G35 Coupe (actual EPA mileage estimates and emission information to be announced at a later date).
'The new 3.7-litre V6 is a true powerhouse – becoming more enjoyable as you drive it,' said Igo. 'And, this powerplant also features Infiniti's trademark 'Swell' acceleration – introduced on the new G Sedan last year – wîth special tuning that builds horsepower almost continually to the redline like a building wave.'
The G37 Coupe engine is backed by a choice of an upgraded electronically controlled 5-speed automatic transmission wîth manual mode, downshift rev matching, DS mode and ASC (Adaptive Shift Control) that allows for quicker shifts in sporty driving situations and available genuine magnesium paddle shifters; or a newly revised, lightweight 6-speed manual transmission. (posted on conceptcarz.com)
Performance Platform and Suspension
Developed at test circuits throughout Europe – including the famed Nürburgring – the G37 Coupe was conceived as a performance thoroughbred. Handling and ride performance increases come from the G37 Coupe's enhanced FM (Front Mid-ship) platform, which has been stiffened 36% from the previous generation, is lower in overall height and has a wider front and rear track width.
The G37 Coupe's 4-wheel independent suspension design features lightweight aluminium components and large front and rear stabiliser bars, increased spring rates and optimised suspension damping.
The front suspension is a double-wishbone design, wîth a single pivot lower wishbone and a long upper link. The multi-link rear suspension separates the shock absorbers and springs, locating the shock absorber inline wîth the wheel centre. These designs help minimise alignment changes and reduce suspension friction for nimble handling and smooth riding characteristics.
Steering is provided by a twin-orifice vehicle-speed-sensing design, which provides optimum §teering effort at both high and low vehicle speeds. Standard on all G37 Coupes is Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC), which assists in enhancing vehicle stability under a variety of driving conditions.
Also available on the new G37 Coupe is Infiniti's exclusive 4-Wheel Active Steer system (4WAS), wîth unique chassis configuration that features automatically variable front §teering ratios and rear suspension geometry that adjusts to §teering input and vehicle speed via motor-driven controls. The system's electronic control unit calculates the desired vehicle dynamics from a series of sensors, including vehicle speed and §teering angle, and separately directs both the front and rear actuators to change §teering gear ratios and rear geometry by moving both the front §teering gear and rear suspension lower links – thus providing sports car-like agility and secure stability.
Braking performance is provided by standard 4-wheel vented discs wîth 4-channel, 4-sensor Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA). The standard G37 Coupe adopts the 'sport' braking system of the recently introduced G35 Sedan. The G37 Coupe Journey wîth Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT are further enhanced wîth aluminium four-piston callipers (front)/two-piston callipers (rear) embossed wîth Infiniti lettering and large ventilated rotors – 14.0-inch front and 13.8-inch rear.
Also available on G37 Coupe is Infiniti's Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) wîth Preview Braking, which provides a precise following distance from the vehicle ahead. It also identifies sudden braking situations wîth laser sensors to determine distance and relative speed of the vehicle ahead in the same lane and 'pre-pressurises' the Brake Assist system before the driver steps on the brake pedal.
A new 18-inch wheel and tyre package is standard on G37 Coupe, featuring a 'split 5-spoke' 18x8-inch aluminium-alloy wheel design wîth P225/50VR18 all-season tyres. A new 10-spoke 19-inch wheel and tyre package, wîth lightweight cast aluminium wheels and high performance tyres, is also available. A Tyre Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) is standard on all 2008 G37 Coupes.
To enhance the already high level of dynamic performance, the G37 Coupe 6MT and G37 Coupe Journey wîth Sport Package come standard wîth unique sport suspension, a Viscous Limited Slip Differential (VLSD) and a new wheel and tyre package wîth 19x8.5-inch front wheels wîth 225/45WR19 front tyres and 19x9-inch rear wheels wîth 245/40WR19 rear tyres.
| ||Vital Stats|
|Engine : 3.7 L., 6-cylinder|
Power: 330 hp
Torque: 270 ft-lbs
5-speed Automatic, 6-speed Manual
The G37 Coupe's advanced performance systems are wrapped in an all-new seductive skin, giving the vehicle a kinetic feeling wîth emotional surface expression, sweeping character lines and tight panel gap lines.
'Compared wîth its predecessor, the G37 Coupe is longer, lower and wider – indicative of the power and technology of the vehicle,' said Igo.
Exterior highlights include flowing front fender curves, a wave-style hood, expressive front fascia wîth Infiniti's signature double-arch grille and L-shaped High-Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-xenon headlights wîth integrated fog lamps. As wîth the new G35 Sedan, Infiniti developed a specialised production process for headlight installation to impart tight build tolerances and an exacting fit of the complex front fascia. The aluminium hood is secured by dual latches located at the two front corners to ensure an excellent fit.
The strong side character line and side sills integrate wîth the large wheel wells and the 18- or 19-inch performance-oriented wheel and tyre packages to transmit an added sense of power and vibrancy.
The rear of the G Coupe features broad rear fenders, flowing into the large LED taillights – an Infiniti trademark, refined rear bumper, integrated RearView Monitor camera (when equipped), rear underbody air diffusers and large dual exhaust outlets wîth chrome finishers.
An available rear spoiler gives the G37 Coupe zero rear lift, matching the standard zero-lift front aerodynamics.
The G37 Coupe Sport 6MT models and G37 Journey wîth Sport Package add an enhanced performance look, wîth a unique front fascia, special side sills and standard 19-inch aluminium-alloy wheels wîth high performance tyres.
Eight exterior colours, including two all-new colours, are offered.Sophisticated, Luxurious Interior
The 2008 G37 Coupe interior design features sophisticated craftsmanship, wîth a cockpit-oriented front driver and passenger area, Infiniti signature 'double wave' instrument panel design featuring the Infiniti-signature analogue clock and dramatic, full-length centre console wîth a leather and aluminium-clad shifter. Special aluminium-alloy interior trim, inspired by elegant, handmade Japanese Washi paper, is located across the instrument panel, on the centre console and on the door panels. Genuine African Rosewood trim is also available.
The instrument panel features Infiniti electroluminescent instrumentation wîth white-and-violet illumination and integrated multi-function information drive computer (average fuel consumption, real-time fuel economy, average speed, elapsed time, running distance, distance to empty, outside air temperature, warning displays, odometer and automatic transmission shift indicator) display.
Drivers grip a double hand-stitched leather-covered §teering wheel, designed for maximum comfort and usability wîth wheel-mounted audio and cruise controls. Available genuine magnesium paddle shifters for the 5-speed automatic transmission fall readily to hand and add control (G37 Coupe Journey wîth Sport Package only).
The 8-way power driver and 4-way front passenger seats (8-way on G37 Coupe Journey, G37 Coupe Journey wîth Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT model) are appointed wîth Infiniti's exclusive premium leather and feature 2-way adjustable head restraints and a unique rear-seat access system, whereby the front seats will move forward automatically at the touch of a button to allow passengers into the rear seat.
The G37 Coupe Journey wîth Sport Package and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT add special 14-way sport-styled seats wîth thigh extensions and power adjustable torso and thigh bolsters for the driver, unique §teering wheel stitching and high-grip aluminium pedals.
Technological and convenience features abound in the new G37 Coupe. Standard is the Infiniti Intelligent Key wîth push button ignition, Remote Keyless Entry system, a tilt/telescoping §teering column wîth increased travel, illuminated glove compartment and automatic temperature control.
Also standard is a 6-speaker AM/FM/CD audio system wîth mp3 playback capability, Radio Data System (RDS) and centre console-mounted auxiliary input, as well as a 7-inch colour display.
Available is an 11-speaker Infiniti 'Studio on Wheels'™ by Bose®, combining a 3-way front door speaker array using 10-inch woofers wîth an audiophile-quality head unit incorporating double oversampling 24-bit 96KHz Burr Brown® Digital Analogue Converters (DAC). Also available is a Bluetooth® hands-free phone system, new touch screen Infiniti Navigation System wîth available XM® NavTraffic™ real-time traffic information (subscription required), voice activation for navigation, audio and HVAC functions, and a 9.3-gigabyte Music Box hard drive wîth compact flash drive slot.
Three interior colour combinations are offered – Wheat, Graphite and Stone.Safety Performance and Technology
Available on the new G37 Coupe is an Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS), which automatically controls the headlight lighting pattern according to §teering angle and vehicle speed to help provide better visibility at night.
Standard on all G37 Coupes is an Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) wîth dual-stage supplemental air bags wîth seat belt sensors and occupant classification sensor, front-seat side-impact supplemental air bags and roof-mounted side-impact curtain air bags for front- and rear-seat occupant head protection.
Also standard are 3-point ALR/ELR seat belts (driver's side ELR only) and front seat belts wîth pretensioners and load limiters and adjustable upper anchors, driver and front-passenger knee bolsters, front seat Active Head Restraints and the LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) system. Available as part of the Technology Package are brake-operated pre-crash seat belts wîth motion sensor on the brake pedal.
The G37 Coupe features Zone Body Construction wîth front and rear crushable zones to help disperse crash energy around the passenger compartment. For occupant safety, the engine is designed to move under the occupant compartment in a high-speed frontal collision, while a breakaway construction of the propeller shaft (connected wîth the engine-drop function) and the double-wall construction of the bulkhead helps to minimise cabin deformation, especially in the lower leg area. In addition, the brake pedal is designed to collapse to help reduce lower leg injuries in a severe crash.Three Well-Equipped Models
The 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe is available in three models: G37 Coupe, G37 Coupe Journey and G37 Coupe Sport 6MT. In addition to the long list of standard features on all three models, several options and packages are available.
These include the Premium Package, wîth a power sliding glass moonroof, 11-speaker Infiniti 'Studio on Wheels'™ by Bose® audio system wîth iPod connection, memory system (driver's seat, §teering wheel and outside mirrors) wîth synchronisation, power tilt and telescoping §teering wheel, anti-glare rearview mirror wîth compass and HomeLink© Úniversal Transceiver, Bluetooth® hands-free phone system, and heated front seats and door mirrors.
Also offered is the Sport Package (available on G37 Journey model and standard on G37 Coupe Sport 6MT), which includes 19-inch wheels and tyres, Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD), sport-tuned suspension, sport brakes, unique front fascia and side sills, sport-styled seats and §teering wheel stitching, aluminium pedals and paddle shifters (G37 Coupe Journey only).
The Infiniti Navigation Package adds an advanced navigation system wîth touch-screen capability, available XM® NavTraffic™ real-time traffic information (subscription required), voice activation for navigation, audio and HVAC functions and a 9.3-gigabyte Music Box hard drive wîth compact flash drive slot, and RearView Monitor. The Technology Package includes Infiniti Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) wîth Preview Braking, Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) and, available for the first time on G Coupe, a 'Pre-Crash Seatbelt' system.
Also available is the Infiniti 4-Wheel Active Steer system; Performance Wheel and Tyre Package wîth 19-inch high performance tyres featuring lightweight cast aluminium-alloy wheels; Moonroof; Rear Spoiler; and African Rosewood interior trim.
'When the original G Coupe was introduced, it proved to the world that exhilarating sport coupe performance doesn't have to come in a machine-like box,' said Igo. 'This new G37 Coupe, which we're proudly showing for the first time anywhere in New York, is pure G and pure Infiniti – and ready to take centre position on the world automotive stage.'Source - Infiniti