The Pierce-Arrow Model 48 continued the company's reputation for luxury and innovation. On December 12, 1912 the company applied for a patent that concerned headlights mounted on the crown of the fenders to allow for improved lighting. The grant was granted on February 24th of 1914 and was first seen of a Model 48-B2. The car also included electric side lights integrated into the cowl.
The average price for a seven passenger Tourer would set the buyer back nearly $5000. The cars were powered by a six-cylinder, 525 cubic-inch engine which was capable of producing 48 horsepower. The car was controlled by a four-speed sliding gear transmission and had rear wheel brakes. The suspension was comprised of a semi-floating rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs.
Two extra folding seats came standard on the Model 48. An electric generator and starter, electric Klaxon
By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2016
Sold for $165,000 at 2012 RM Sothebys
As many other luxury automobiles moved to new V-8s and V-12 engines, Pierce-Arrow continued to produce large-displacement sixes through 1927. Their engine featured a T-head engine layout and was produced in several sizes. They were available in 38-, 48- and 66-horsepower variants. In 1918, the 38 and 66 were both discontinued and the 48 was redesigned with dual-valve cylinder heads providing high efficiency with four valves per cylinder. The Dual-Valve Six offered plenty of power and new silence.
The Pierce-Arrow was priced from $5,200 for the bare chassis and $8,200 for the Vestibule Suburban and its variants. The Model 48 was also available in close-coupled Four-Seat Roadster form from $6,400.
This Dual-Valve Four-Passenger Roadster is powered by a 524 cubic-inch T-head dual-valve six-cylinder engine capable of producing nearly 50 horsepower. It has a four-speed selective sliding-gear manual transmission and rear-wheel mechanical drum brakes.
It is believed to be one of two 1919 Model 48 Dual-Valve Four-Passenger Roadsters known to exist. It is equipped with drum-style 'New York' headlights, unlike the majority of Pierces built after 1913 with Herbert Dawley's patented fender-mounted units.
This vehicle was part of the Raymond Brown Collection during the 1980s and 1990s. During that time it received a show-quality cosmetic restoration. Following the passing of Mr. Brown, the car was sold in 1999 and acquired by Stuart Laidlaw, later passing to the McBride collection of the Pacific Northwest, under whom a mechanical refurbishment was undertaken.
IN 2008, the current owner acquired the car.
In 2012, this vehicle was offered for sale at RM Auctions sale in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was estimated to sell for $240,000-$280,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $165,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2012
The Pierce-Arrow Company of Buffalo, NY was in business for 38 years, from 1901 to 1938. They built some of the finest automobiles on the market and could often be seen with the rich and powerful, including the White House and royal families throughout the world.
George N. Pierce manufactured birdcages, bathtubs, iceboxes and later bicycles. He later began tinkering with automobiles, his first effort being the two-cylinder Motorette, from 1901 to 1903. In 1904, Pierce produced the Great Arrow, a touring car fitted with a 4-cylinder engine and featuring aluminum body panels. They were very capable and durable vehicles, winning endurance trials, and gaining the attention of the public.
After the company won five Glidden trophies, in 1908, Pierce changed their name to the Pierce-Arrow. The company employed major working artists, including N.C. Wyeth, to make the car ads 'works of art.'
In 1909, President William H. Taft ordered two Pierce-Arrows for official use. Pierce-Arrows were used by United States presidents through 1935.
In 1910, six-cylinder engines were made standard. In 1914, the trademark fender-mounted headlamps made their debut.
The Pierce-Arrow company pioneered power brakes, aluminum bodies, and hydraulic tappets. They also used right-hand steering until 1920.
This example, currently on display at the Swigart Museum, has the Dual-Valve Six ('Twin Six') rated at 48.6 horsepower. It has two intake and two exhaust valves per cylinder.