Splitting into two lines in 1932, the Lincoln K-Series featured the carryover Model KA and the new V12 powered Model KB. Producing 150 horsepower the KB featured the marque's new V12, 447.9 cubic-inch 65-degree L-head engine. The KB featured a new grille with less of a surround, vent hood doors rather than vertical louvers on the sides of the hood, a parking light on top of each front fender and lower profile 18-inch wire wheels.
This automobile features custom built Brunn coachwork. Hermann Brunn of Buffalo, NY founded the Brunn and Company in 1908. His reputation began to grow and as time progressed, became renowned for his quality and style. His son, Hermann C. Brunn, later joined the business after an apprenticeship at Kellner in Paris. The company had a long and prosperous career that lasted until World War II. Hermann C. Brunn continued his career at Ford working in their design department.
This Lincoln features Custom Coachwork by Brunn of Buffalo, New York. A fashionable statement of the time was to have open front town cars for chauffeur driven automobiles - reminiscent of the days of prominence by having your carriage manned by a driver and footman. These Brunn Broughams were made in limited numbers being highly individualistic with each being created exclusively for the owner in their choice of color, upholstery, striping, inside hardware and features.
The KB Lincoln is powered by an L-head 448 cubic-inch, 150 horsepower V-12 engine that maintains Lincoln's then tradition of 'Fork and Blade' rod technology.
Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton Chassis Num: KB2178 Engine Num: KB2178
Sold for $242,000 at 2008 RM Auctions. The Lincoln Motor Company was founded by Henry Martyn Leland during the First World War with the intent to build aero engines. Leland's first automobile company was Cadillac. The Lincoln name was chosen for the first president. The company was founded in 1917 and its stint in the production of aero engines was very brief, as war's end led to cancelled contracts and an idle workforce. Leland, having a history in the production of automobiles, naturally moved into that arena.
The first Lincoln automobiles appeared several years later, in September of 1920. There was a single model dubbed the 'L' built atop two different wheelbase sizes, either 130 or 136-inches. Power was from a 60-degree V8 that displaced 357.8 cubic-inches and featured 'fork-and-blade' connecting rods. This allowed the cylinders to be directly opposite one another. The bare chassis cost a staggering $4,000 and with town car clothing, the price rose to $6,600. This put the new Lincoln automobiles in direct competition with the well-established and well-known Cadillac Company.
Demand for the Lincoln automobiles was slow, partly due to a recession. This led to receivership for Lincoln. The company was rescued by Ford for the price of eight million dollars in 1922. The Lincoln Company became Ford's flagship and became the special project for Henry's son Edsel. Under his direction and with his guidance and designs, the Lincoln Company would excel. Relationships with prominent coachbuilders such as Locke, Willoughby, LeBaron and Brunn created some of the most elegant and eye-catching creations of the day. Most of the Lincoln open cars were bodied by Locke or Brunn through 1928. Some of the coachwork was moved 'in-house' in 1929, such as this Style 176 Phaeton which was available with and without the tonneau cowl and windshield.
Mechanical improvements were added to Lincoln vehicles every year. In 1927, four-wheel brakes were fitted. The following year the engine was bored out to 385 cubic-inches and in 1929, rubber engine mounts were added which greatly reduced vibration. That same year, the brakes were changed to the internal expanding type, and cooling fins were added to the rear.
In 1931, Lincoln introduced the Model K which rode on a very larger, 145-inch platform. The chassis was cruciform-braced allowing the vehicle a lower stance and better center-of-gravity. The design incorporated flowing fenders, a longer hood, and a new peaked radiator. Synchromesh and free-wheeling were added to the transmission, and cable-operated Bendix Duo-Servo brakes provided improved stopping power. The engine's compression was improved and better manifolding drove the horsepower even further.
In 1932, the Lincoln V12 engine was introduced and the new KB Model was born. The engine had an L-head design and mounted at a 65-degree angle. It displaced 447.9 cubic-inches and offered 150 horsepower. The Model KA rode on a 136-inch wheelbase and powered by a V8 engine. This would be the final year for the V8 as the new V12 engine would become the standard for Ford flagship company.
The 1933 Lincoln catalog contained 26 KB body styles and 17 styles from custom coachbuilders. Only 533 buyers were found, mostly due to the Great Depression and the increase in competition from other luxury car makers. There were only nine examples of the 252-A Dual Cowl Phaeton produced, such as this example. These cars, along with the 252-B models (which did not have the tonneau cowl or windshield) were the last fully-open cars in the Lincoln catalog. They were available in future years but only on special order.
This Lincoln Model KB Dual Cowl Phaeton was built in the spring of 1933. The list of owners include Lou Andola, Tony Porta, and a long-time ownership in the Browning Collection in Utah. While in the Browning Collection, it was treated to a frame-off restoration. The car is painted in two-tone blue and has a tan canvas top. The interior is tan leather and the odometer reads just over 44,000 miles.
In 2008, this car was brought to the 2nd Annual Vintage Motor Cars of Hershey presented by RM Auctions where it was estimated to sell for $250,000-$400,000. Those estimates were nearly proven accurate as bidding reached $242,000 including buyer's premium. This was enough to satisfy the vehicles reserve and the lot was sold. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2008
The big news for Lincoln in 1932 was the introduction of its magnificent V-12 motor, which was the last 'fork and blade' motor built by Lincoln. The 447.9 cubic-inch engine develops 150 horsepower. The forged steel crankshaft sits on seven main bearings.
For 1932, Lincoln offered a variety of body styles, both factory and custom-built, including this seven-passenger limousine, which features an unusual sliding division window instead of the customary 'up-down' crank mechanism.
This Lincoln is an all original car, never having been restored. It appears in the just-released film 'Public Enemies,' which is especially appropriate since it's believed the car was sold new to Chicago underworld figure Frank Nitti.
This is an example of Lincoln's flagship KB V-12 series for 1933; it bears elegant Convertible Victoria coachwork built by Brunn and Company of Buffalo, New York. Brunn had a long history with Lincoln, dating back to the 1920s when young Edsel Ford used the addition of custom coachwork offerings to help establish Lincoln's place in the luxury market.
The 1932 and 1933 KB Lincolns have achieved legendary status. Although similar under the skin the 1933 featured updated styling with skirted fenders and a new V-shaped and slanted grille shell. Lincoln's 1933 catalog contained 26 body styles from 17 custom coachbuilders. Only 533 cars were delivered due to economic conditions.
The brand-new 448 cubic-inch 65-degree L-head V12 engine produced 150 horsepower. It was introduced in 1932 as Lincoln's answer to the multi-cylinder engines of marques such as Cadillac and Packard. The KB also featured a new grille with less of a surround, vent hood doors rather than vertical louvers on the sides of the hood, a parking light on top of each front fender and lower profile 18-inch wire wheels.
The KB utilized a new cruciform double-drop chassis frame. It was also given new vacuum booster brakes, and the shock absorbers gained thermostatic control to compensate for various weather conditions. The transmission was redesigned, and free-wheeling was made optional.
This Lincoln features a 150 horsepower, 448 cubic-inch, seven main bearings fork-and-blade V12 engine, three-speed synchromesh transmission with integrated free-wheeling solid front axle and four-wheel vacuum servo-assisted mechanical drum brakes. The 1933 KB featured updated styling, with more attractive skirted fender, a new 'V' shaped grille shell and a host of other minor updates. Driven by Edsel Ford, Lincoln was unwavering in its commitment to the coach-built car. Simple and clean, it managed to be both sporty and elegant at the same time. It has received Best in Class awards at various Concours and earned First Place awards with both AACA and CCCA.
This Lincoln Model KB Convertible Coupe was designed and built by LeBaron Carrosiers. Only 37 were built in 1933. It has fork and blade connecting rods, three-speed transmission, solid front axle and live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs and four-wheel vacuum booster assisted mechanical drum brakes on a 145 inch wheelbase. It was originally sold to John Traphagen in Nyack, New York as a birthday gift for his wife. His wife kept the car until the late 1930s when it was sold to Don Lober of Closter, New Jersey. After the war it was traded to house painter Roy Abbott of Tenafly, New Jersey. Don Friar of North Branford, Connecticut purchased the car but left it untouched for many years until Rocky Romeo of Ohio purchased it and fully restored it to concours condition.
The current owner of this 1933 Lincoln KB 7-Passenger Phaeton is only the third for this car. It is one of only six of this body style produced in 1933 with side windows at a 45-degree angle and is believed to be the only one to survive. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt rode in this vehicle in 1939. By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2010
This vehicle is one of just 15 Dietrich Convertible Sedans produced, and one of only 533 KB chassis's produced for 1933. It is believed that only six examples remain. This open coachwork sedan has a raked, V-shaped windscreen and 'suicide'-style doors. In the mid-1970s, this Convertible Sedan joined the Rosenblatt collection. In the 1980s, it was given a professional and mechanical, no expense restoration. It earned a First in Class at Pebble Beach, as well as winning Junior and Senior awards from both the AACA and CCCA, along with the James Melton Cup from the AACA.
After Mr. Rosenblatt's death, the vehicle was sold through Christie's to a new owner, who used it sparingly for approximately one year. It was then acquired by collector Don Williams, who in turn sold it at Hershey, PA. Mr. Milton Robson acquired the car and retained it until 2007, when it was sold to the current owner.
In 2010, this car was offered for sale at the Sports & Classics of Monterey presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $350,000 - $400,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $385,000, inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2010
Henry and Wilford LeLand's Lincoln Motor Company began producing Liberty airplane engines in 1917. Leland decided to enter the automobile production business after the contract for the Liberty engines were fulfilled. The first cars were produced in 1920 but by 1922, after facing financial difficulties, Lincoln was acquired by the Ford Motor Company. Edsel Ford took the helm and saw the need to upgrade the styling of the Lincoln product line. He enlisted the finest American coachbuilders to produce new stylish bodies for the company.
By 1930 Lincoln was well established as a premier luxury automobile manufacturer. They exhibited many special custom bodied cars at the major auto shows. Their popular L Series remained in production until 1930. The L series V-8 engine was upgraded in 1931 to the K Series.
In 1932 Lincoln introduced the KB V-12. The 60 degree L-head V-12 utilized seven main bearings, blade and fork rods, and aluminum crankcase. The 448 cubic-inch produced 150 horsepower at 3400 RPM. The new in 1933 145-inch wheelbase double drop frame lent itself to the custom body trade. Designed to compete with the best the automobile world had to offer, the KB was built with no expense spared as it was the flagship of Henry Ford's automobile empire. Only 587 KB Lincolns were produced with 37 carrying LeBaron Roadster coachwork.
Of the original 37 roadsters, 6 are known to exist. This car was originally owned by land speed record holder Sir Malcolm Campbell and later by comedian W.C. Fields. The car was originally delivered in March of 1933. The color was black with dark brown leather interior.
Sold for $134,750 at 2011 RM Auctions. In 1908, the Hermann A. Brunn Coachwork business was established and their first corporate customer was the Leland-owned Lincoln Company. Brunn, who had a strong understanding of Fords, was ideally situated to continue with Lincoln upon Ford's takeover. Brunn was assigned 'Four' as the body builder number from Lincoln. This Brunn Convertible Coupe has its original body tag, located under the passenger's seat, indicating body 4-6. 4 is for the body builder, and 6 refers to being the sixth body of fifteen in this style built by Brunn in 1933.
There were 26 body styles offered by Lincoln in their 1933 catalog for their large 12-cylidner KB model. 17 were from custom coachbuilders, however, only 533 cars were delivered due to the economy. This car, described by the 1933 sales catalog as a five-passenger convertible coupe, is more commonly known in American automobile circles as the 'convertible victoria.' There were only 15 examples produced, and this is one of just three known to remain in existence.
The earliest known owner was from 1959. At the time, the car needed work but still ran very well. The car was in the same family ownership for almost 48 years. In 2007, it was offered for sale in Hemmings.
The car remains in its original red and black configuration.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the St. Johns auction presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $125,000 - $175,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $134,750, including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2011
High bid of $210,000 at 2012 RM Auctions. (did not sell) Lincoln offered 26 KB body styles for 1933 with 17 from custom coachbuilders. In total, there were just 533 examples produced, some styles selling in very modest quantities. Among them was the 261, the Dietrich Convertible Sedan, of which only 15 were built. Similar to the Style 241 Convertible Sedan built for Lincoln by Dietrich in 1932, the 261 differed in several details. The body moldings and window reveals were revised, and the rear body contour became convex rather than concave. These changes gave room for an enclosed luggage compartment, although an exterior trunk rack was still provided. The rear passengers were treated to smoking sets and hassocks.
This Model KB Convertible Sedan has been in single-family ownership for nearly half-a-century. The current owner's father purchased it in 1966 from W.B. Adams of Camillus, New York, who owned it for at least a decade. A former president of the Lincoln Owners Club, the owner's father was a recognized expert on prewar Lincolns. The car received CCCA First Primary status in 1966 at Buck Hill Falls in Pennsylvania and was issued medallion number 276, which it still wears. The following May it achieved First: Senior Division at Minneapolis. It received many AACA and CCCA awards over the following decade.
In 2009, the car was brought back to show and touring condition. Work included completely rebuilding the V-12 engine, repainting of the cowl, hood, fenders and wheels, all new glass, a new top, boot and exterior trunk cover and new tires. Upon completion, it was judged at 96.5 points, taking First Place in the Custom Senior Division at the January 2011 CCCA National Grand Classic at Palm Beach, Florida. The car is painted in two shades of blue and wears late-style skirted fenders. Inside there is black leather interior.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at the Amelia Island sale presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $275,000 - $375,000. Bidding reached $210,000 but was not enough to satisfy the vehicle's reserve. It would leave the auction unsold. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2012
The Lincoln Motor Company was launched in 1917 by Henry Leland, formerly of Cadillac, and his son Wilfred. They began assembling Liberty aircraft engines to fulfill World War One government contracts. After the war, Lincoln factories were reorganized to begin producing luxury automobiles. In 1922, Lincoln was bought by Ford Motor Company and became Ford's luxury brand.
Produced from 1932 until 1934, the 'legendary' KB is considered by many as the 'archetypal American car of the 1930s.' The 1933 catalogue offered twenty-six body styles, seventeen of which were by custom coachbuilders. This Convertible Victoria features one of only seven bodies by renowned coachbuilder Brunn. 'With its low windshield, clean top lines, close coupled body, lovely front end and sweeping fender lines, it is a masterpiece of classic-era design and one of about three known to exist.'
The 448 cubic-inch 65-degree L-head V12 engine produced 150 horsepower. It was Lincoln's answer to multi-cylinder Cadillacs and Packards. It featured a new grille with less of a surround, vent hood doors rather than vertical louvers on the sides of the hood, a parking light on top of each front fender and lower profile 18-inch wire wheels. It utilized a new cruciform double-drop chassis frame, new vacuum booster brakes, and the shock absorbers gained thermostatic control to compensate for various weather conditions. The transmission was redesigned, and free-wheel was made optional.
The flagship car for the entire Ford Motor Company was the Lincoln KB with its smooth-running V12 engine and well-appointed bodies. Body styles for the 1933 model adapted to the new sloping radiator, independent headlights, and skirted fenders. The Lincoln catalogue announced 26 different body styles built by 17 different coachbuilders.
This example is one of just 15 Dietrich Convertible Sedans produced. Its fashionably raked, V-shaped windscreen and rear hinged 'suicide' style doors are emblematic of Dietrich's inspired designs. It was previously owned by Mr. J. Quail, the President of the Lincoln Owners Club, who enjoyed the car for over 50 years.
The flagship car for the early 1930s Ford range was the Lincoln K. Built with the smooth-running V12 and in a range of body styles, they rivaled the Cadillacs and Packards of the time. In 1932, the Lincoln K series was split into two lines: the KA with V8 and the new V12-powered KB. These two lines featured a new grille with less of a surround and vent doors, rather than vertical louvers, on the sides of the hood. This original and unrestored Lincoln KB with coupe coachwork by Judkins was ordered in 1933 by G. Henry Stetson, son of world-famous hat company founder John Stetson.
The flagship car for the entire Ford range in the early 1930s was the Lincoln Model K. For 1932, Lincoln followed Cadillac and introduced a V12 engine in its new KB model. For 1933, Lincoln kept their 448 cubic-inch V12 engine in the KB but made a smaller version for the KA. Other changes in the 1933 model year included a reinforced chassis, an adjustable vacuum booster, a new transmission and a new suspension. Body styles for the 1933 model adapted to the new sloping radiator with independent headlights and skirted fenders. Lincoln announced 26 different body styles from 17 different coachbuilders that year! The total production run of the 1933 Lincoln KB reached 533 units. This Phaeton is one of nine similar phaetons.
In 1933 the Lincoln KB, with its new smooth-running 447.9 cubic-inch 65-degree L-head V12 engine, was the flagship car for Ford Motor Company. Lincoln offered a staggering 26 different body styles built by 17 different coachbuilders. Lincoln used an abundance of brass and bronze in lieu of pot metal while most of the castings on the car are brass.
This particular KB-2005, with its fashionably raked, V-windscreen and rear hinged 'suicide' doors, is one of just 15 Dietrich Convertible Sedans produced, and it is believed to be the earliest of only six examples that remain and the only one to have the early style open fenders. It was restored to perfect condition in 1991 by marque expert Fran Roxas and was then acquired by Otis Chandler in 1997. It has just been freshly restored.
Lincoln offered more custom bodies in their catalog than any other manufacturer. Unfortunately, the era of the true custom body car was nearing the end. This car sits on a 145-inch wheelbase and it weighs 5,700 pounds. Cost was $6,400 when new.
The KB was the ultimate Lincoln. It was typically offered as a chassis for custom coachwork. Inspired by Edsel Ford, Lincoln was committed to a custom coachwork car. The quality of the KB chassis and engine combination made the marriage of a custom body a perfect match. The Dietrich styled design is evident in the windshield and door lines. With the convertible sedan, the ability to go top down, with the power of the V12, and the beautiful lines of the Dietrich design makes this KB one of the most desirable and beautiful cars Lincoln has ever produced.
With a variety of companies throughout the world in the custom body business in the 20's, only a few established themselves as the cream of the crop. Dietrich was certainly one of them.
Dietrich, Inc. was an American coachbuilder founded in 1925 by Raymond H. Dietrich, who was also the co-founder of LeBaron Incorporated in New York. He was known to be a close friend to Edsel Ford, who introduced him to Fred Murray, owner of the Murray Body Corporation. Ford was able to convince him to partly finance Dietrich to start his own body company. Murray had hoped for an in-house source for designing and building custom bodies for luxury cars. It is said that Dietrich himself held 50% of the stock.
Dietrich, Inc. did styling work for standard bodies for Packard, Franklin, and Erskine. Dietrich, Inc. also built custom bodies to single orders, and proposed semi-customs for Lincoln, which was then headed by Edsel Ford.
By September 1930, Dietrich was out of his company and Dietrich, Inc. was closed in 1936. In 1932, Raymond Dietrich became the first head of design of Chrysler (until 1938).
Produced in an effort to prove that he could compete with the best Automobile manufacturers in the world, Henry Ford built the Lincoln. Rivaling the most beautiful vehicles of the Classic Era, this vehicle is a demonstration of the success of his venture.
With a body that built by the Dietrich coach building firm, the elegant Lincoln KB was introduced in 1932. A total of 2,108 units were produced during the one year of the Lincoln KB's production.
With a 145 inch wheelbase, the KB had an amazing production rate of 150 horses, with power being supplied by a massive 448 cubic inch V12. There was also a compression ratio of 5.25 to 1 with seven main bearings. Stunning lines swept the sides of the vehicle along with wire wheels and dual side-mount space tires.
With a relatively short sedan body, the rumble seat allowed drivers to carry passengers in the rear. One could also carry additional baggage on the folding luggage rack that was made by Beals and Selkirk.
The interior of the vehicle was ensconced with only the most elegant and luxurious materials that included quality wool broadcloth, burled hardwoods, the best materials, and the perfect amount of bright work.By Jessica Donaldson
Becoming a vehicle that was known for luxury, the Lincoln underwent a total transformation in 1931. Re-powered, re-styled, and becoming lower-priced, this entire transformation was done under the censorship of Edsel Ford. The Lincoln Model K replaced the Model L, and only a total of forty five models were ever produced.
With an increased horsepower from 90 to 120, the newly added Stromberg carburetor increased the engine with 384.8 cubic inches. With a price significantly lower than any other Lincolns, the Model K 7-passenger Touring vehicle was used primarily as a limousine. Though at $4,400, the model K still cost ten times the amount of a Ford.
The largest updates were contained in the body style. The wheel base was now increased to 145 inches with a longer hood, and rounded bumpers which now gave it a low and sleek profile. Dual trumpet horns and large bowl-shaped head lights now gave the front a stunning look. Utilized mainly as a limousine, sales were less than half of what they were in the late 1920s due to the Depression.
A reflection of the earlier Ford Model K, the Lincoln K-series was a luxury vehicle line that was produced until 1942. A V12 became standard in 1933, while the original K-Series featured a 385 in³ (6.3 L) V8. The option of ordering a fully custom coachwork was available for customers.
Appearing on a new chassis in 1931, the original Model K had a 145 in (3683 mm) wheelbase. Available as a dual cowl model, factory bodies were a 2 or 4-door phaeton. A derivative of the earlier L-series 60° V8, the 384.8 in³ (6.3 L) engine had a dual downdraft Stromberg carburetors, altered timing upped power to 120 hp (89 kW), and higher compression.
Splitting into two lines in 1932, the Lincoln K-series featured the carryover Model KA and the new V12-powered Model KB. The engine output was pushed to 125 hp (93 kW) while the V8 car reverted to a 136 in (3454 mm) wheelbase. Producing 150 hp (112 kW), the KB featured the marque's new V12, 447.9 in³ (7.3 L) 65° L-head unit. These two new lines featured a new grille with less of a surround, and vent doors rather than vertical louvers on the sides of the hood. Both series also featured a parking light on top of each front fender and 18 inch wire wheels.
The Model KA V8 engine was replaced in 1933 with a new 381.7 in³ (6.3 L) V12. The large KB engine shared very few similarities with this new L-head engine. Only a few minor changes that were readily visible occurred on the 1933 K-series. The return of hood louvers and the deletion of the bar linking the headlights were by far the most obvious updates. The chassis was also revised, along with thermostatic shock absorbers and transmission.
In 1934, the V12 engines were replaced by a single 414 in³ (6.8 L) version of the updated model KA V12. The KA and KB nameplates now denoted the wheelbase only. For this year, the only styling updates included the replacement again of the louvers with doors on the side of the hood, and a body-colored grille surround. For 1935, the Lincoln line was trimmed down considerable, as all vehicles where simply referred to as the Model K. Putting focus on the lofty over-$4,000 segment, the marque was attempting to improve profitability, though unfortunately limiting sales in the depression devastated US.
The following year, a more modern Lincoln Zephyr was debuted. Costing much less, the Model K's days were considerably numbered. However, despite its high $4700 price-tag, a 7-passenger Model K limousine was the marque's best-selling model for 1936. A new and improved raked windshield and pressed steel wheels were also part of this years update.
Continuing in production for the next five more years, the Model K unfortunately faced a decrease in sales in comparison to the more modern Zephyr and the new flagship Continental which became more appealing to buyers. Though production was mostly ended with the 1939 model year, one final Model K, the 1942 model was a one-off 'Sunshine Special' convertible limousine that was built especially for President Roosevelt.By Jessica Donaldson
When these two vehicles won Best of Show honors at major Concours dElegance events, they both were owned by Judge Joseph Cassini III. The green colored Chrysler 4 door Phaeton with tan convertible top...
The brand pays tribute to its heritage today, displaying seven of the most influential Lincoln designs
Thursday sees a display full of the all-new MKZ premium midsize sedan and MKZ Hybrid, the future...