Packard: a premier luxury and quality built automobile from 1899 to 1958. While founded in Warren, Ohio, Packard is best known for their Detroit, Michigan produced automobiles. Unique symbols such as the trademark red hexagon and Coat of Arms readily identify the marque. Their radiator ornaments were equally graceful and well known with the most famous being The Goddess of Speed, Adonis at the Well, and the Cormorant. Their most memorable slogan was 'Ask the Man Who Owns One.'
This Packard features engine capable of producing 110 horsepower & 3200 rpm. It is a flathead straight-eight that displaces 321 cubic-inches.
This automobile was restored nearly 35 years ago and is used continuously during the summer for touring.
Packard, for a period of time, was a very successful company, selling more automobiles than all other fine car brands combines. The Packards were popular with the social elite, wealthy, captains of industry, and those who treasured quality automobiles.
With the introduction of the Seventh Series of Packards introduced a single flowing fender line from the crown of the fender to the running board. Underneath the long and graceful bonnet was an eight-cylinder engine mated to a four-speed manual gearbox. The cars featured a Bijur chassis lubrication systems and four-wheel assisted mechanical drum brakes. Amenities that were common to the vehicles were a single center driving lamp, white wall tires, cowl mounted spot lights, grille guard, wind wings, and a single, rear mounted spare tire.
The Seventh Series Packard Standard Eight was available in either the 127.5-inch form (known as the 726), and the 134.5-inch size (known as the 733). In total, there were 15,731 Model 726 sedans produced in 1929, and 12,531 Model 733. The 726 was available only as a sedan while the 733 was available as a Roadster, Phaeton, Sport Phaeton, 7-passenger sedan, sedan Limousine, 4 and 5 passenger coupe, club sedan, and 7-passenger touring car. Power was from a 319.2 cubic-inch straight eight L-head engine capable of producing 90 horsepower. Prices ranged from $2300 - $2775. By Daniel Vaughan | May 2009
It's not generally known that the Packard Motor Company started in Warren, Ohio before moving to Detroit in 1903.
By 1930, when this Packard 733 club sedan was built, the company had established itself as one of the finest luxury automobile manufacturers in the world.
One of the most handsome closed car bodies on any chassis was the club sedan. This seventh series Packard 733 is powered by the famous Packard straight eight engine, which developed 90 horsepower. Wheelbase was 134.5-inches. The club sedan was priced at $2,695. Side mounted spares, wood spoke wheels and Trippe lights were extra.
In 1930, Packard sold 28,318 cars, priced from $2,375 to $5,350. Their sales success made them a leading luxury marque at the start of the Classic era. They were one of the oldest car companies in American, with the first Packard built in 1899. They began life as the Ohio Automobile Company based in Warren, Ohio. In 1902, they became the Packard Motor car Company and a year later, moved to Detroit.
Known as the Seventh Series Packards, all cars were powered by Packard's famous L-head straight eight engine. The 733 Series developed 90 horsepower from 319 cubic-inches. New for 1930 was an updraft Detroit Lubricator carburetor.
By 1930, Packard had become the sales leader among American luxury makes. But tougher times lay ahead as the Great Depression grew worse and independent American automobile manufacturers began to disappear.
This particular Model 733 Packard is a Convertible Coupe riding on a wheelbase that measures 134.5-inches. It is powered by a 90-horsepower straight eight engine. This car has been disassembled and stored in boxes for many years, until the current owner undertook a complete frame-off restoration.
This 1930 Packard 733 Club Sedan was sold by the Earle C. Anthony Packard dealership in California. It was shown at the 2010 Meadow Brook Concours d'Elegance after having just completed a 2.5-year restoration. The car features 19 original Packard accessories and dealer upgrades. By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2010
The Detroit-based Packard Motor Car Company built luxury automobiles from 1899 to 1958. Packard was the top-selling luxury marque from 1924 to 1930, and exported more cars than any other marques of its class.
Seventh Series Packard models debuted on August 29, 1929. The cars feature a 319.2 cubic-inch eight-cylinder engine producing 90 horsepower; a four-speed manual gearbox, a Bijur chassis lubrication system, and four-wheel assisted mechanical drum rakes. New for 1930 was an updraft Detroit Lubricator carburetor.
This 1930 Packard 733 2-4 Coupe was originally sold in July, 1930 and used until the early 1940s when it was bought by the Krashin Bros. Garage. The brothers removed the rumble seat and used the car as a wrecker until 1948.
It was purchased to be used for parts, but it escaped that fate and was acquired by the current owner in 2007. The car was 'very rough' and received a four-and-a-half year restoration. During the restoration, the owner discovered - under five other colors - the original 'Dundee Grey' paint which the car now sports.
Sold for $66,000 at 2015 RM Auctions. The seventh series Packards were introduced on September 12th of 1929. October 29th was Black Tuesday - the day of the stock market crash. Despite this, Auto Sales had been prosperous in 1929, setting a new record for the industry, with some 4.4 million passenger cars being sold.
The seventh series Packards were given a new look, courtesy of designer Raymond Dietrich, who had taken the theme of the 1929 Deluxe Eight and applied it to the entire 1930 line. The side lamps were moved from the cowl to the wings and there were new headlamps.
The Packard sales experienced only a modest decrease in the first quarter of 1930. By the time the model year ended the following August, sales were off by a third. The Standard Eight cars had better sales than the Senior Deluxe and Custom Eight, in part due to their lower prices.
This particular Series 733 Roadster has the standard folding and opening windshield, dual side-mounted spares, Pilot Ray driving lights, side curtains, and a luggage rack. The engine is a 319.2 cubic-inch L-head eight-cylinder unit offering 90 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual transmission and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2015
During the late 1950s, Richie Ginther would begin a relationship with John von Neumann and this partnership would result in one of the most dominant periods of American sportscar racing in which Ginther...