Pierce-Arrow motorcars were introduced in 1901 and by the time this car was built, the company had achieved a reputation as a manufacturer of top-of-the-line motor cars. The Buffalo, N.Y. Company was known throughout the world.
This motorcar is powered by a large T-head motor with the cylinders cast-in-pairs, and offers 36 horsepower.
This maroon-and-black example has been owned by the same family for well over a half century. It was purchased at a scrap yard in Philadelphia, PA, in 1934 by Samuel E. Baily, the current owner's grandfather. The present owner's grandfather restored the vehicle and it has been not shown for fifty years. It is powered by a six-cylinder engine of 300 cubic-inch capacity. Pierce's reputation had climbed so much at this point that the supply of cars rarely satisfied the demand. The name Pierce-Arrow was now applied to all of the firm's models.
This vehicle has toured and competed in most of the early AACA and VMCCA events, including the Glidden tour, where the Baily family drove over 2,500 miles to-and-from the event.
In 1909, 35 different Pierce models were available on five chassis. All of these models were 'built,' or completely manufactured in house, rather than 'assembled' from commercially available parts, as so many other cars of the era. [Read More...]