Sold for $112,750 at 2007 RM Auctions. Elwood Haynes designed and built a petrol-driven buggy as early as 1894, and on that Fourth of July the car took to the road just outside of Kokomo, Indiana, becoming the one of the first ever self-propelled gasoline vehicles in America. (The Duryea brothers were first in September 1893.) This 1914 Haynes 27 with touring style bodywork remained with the same family in Mason City, Iowa, from 1915 through 1986. Purchased by the current owner in 2006, the car is completely original, including top and interior, side curtains, seat covers, tools and the then-much-needed tire chains.
This 1914 Haynes Model 27 50 HP Touring was awarded the Preservation Class Award at the 2007 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. It is powered by a six-cylinder engine that displaces 7763cc and is capable of producing 50 horsepower. There is a three-speed selective gear transmission with Vulcan Electric gearshift, contracting and expanding brakes on rear wheels. It is an original and low mileage example.
A few months later it was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars sale at Hershey, PA presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $125,000 - $175,000. As the gavel fell, the lot had been sold for $112,750 including buyer's premium.
Elwood Haynes was a very talented individual who, along with the Apperson brothers, built their first horseless carriage in 1893. It was driven on the streets on July 4th of 1894. It traveled at speeds of about five or six miles per hour near Kokomo, Indiana. It was, as Haynes proclaimed, 'America's First Car' and 'America's First Gasoline Automobile.' The original Haynes horseless car is no a permanent fixture in the Smithsonian museum.
Along with being famous for automobile production, Haynes also was an inventor and held many patents. He was renowned for his metal work and in 1911 invented stainless steel which was patented in 1919. He invented a number of other alloys including tungsten chrome steel, chromium and cobalt alloy, and a chromium and nickel alloy.
In 1898, a building was purchased and used for production of automobiles and the company was formed, known as the Haynes-Apperson Automobile Company. In 1901 Haynes and the Apperson brothers ceased their working relationship, with Haynes continuing to produce cars using the company name until 1905. At that time he established the Haynes Automobile Company in Kokomo, Indiana. The company would sell their cars powered by four-cylinder engines until a six was introduced in 1913.
By 1911, Haynes became the first company to offer an open car with a top, windshield, head lamps and a speedometer as standard equipment. In 1914 they were one of the first companies to offer the Vulcan Electric Gear Shift.
The company would stay in the automobile industry for the next twenty years; it went into receivership when a merger between Winton and Dorris failed. Elwood Haynes died from pneumonia a few years later and the company was sold. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2007
Sold for $112,750 at 2007 RM Auctions. This 1914 Haynes Model 27 features a Vulcan electric gear shift. There were 1,883 examples produced of all bodystyles and models by Haynes in 1914. The list price was $2,785. It features a 6/12 volt split electrical system, starting and charging on 12-volts, lights running on 6-volts.
This unrestored car has been in the same family for 70 years and lived in the same city (Mason City, Iowa) until 2007. It is believed to have 4,187 actual miles. It wears its original top, interior and paint. The car was shown at the 2007 Pebble Beach Concours and participated in the Pebble Beach Motoring Tour.