Sold for $32,556 (€25,200) at 2012 RM Auctions
The Orsis family, which were owners of Maserati, sold out to Citroen in 1969. Shortly thereafter, Maserati introduced the V-6 powered Merak in 1971. It shared its platform and Giorgetto Giugiaro's Italdesign styling with the V-8 engined Bora.
In 1976, Alejandro de Tomaso took over Maserati and in 1978 improved the Merak by abandoning the Citroen hydraulically-assisted brake system and adopting the Bora's ZF five-speed transaxle and larger wheel and tire package. Not only did the balance and performance improve, so did the build quality.
This Maserati Merak SS is a matching numbers example finished in red with original checkered cloth interior. The V-6 dual overhead camshaft engine offers 220 horsepower and there is a five-speed synchronized gearbox.
The car was originally delivered to Parma and has remained in Italy ever since. The car was given a restoration in the early 1990s.
In 2012, this car was offered for sale at the Monaco sale presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for €25.000-€35.000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of €25.200 inclusive of buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2012
The Maserati Merak was essential a study in the art of producing a super-car on a budget. The Merak shared many design similarities to the Bora, Maserati's other super-car during this time. The engine and gearbox were supplied by Citroen, a French automobile manufacturer and major stakeholder of Maserati.
The interior of the car was also influenced by Citroen. However, in 1975 the interior dash was redesigned to eliminate some of the frustations caused by the hard-to-read gauges and too many warning lights. A new engine was introduced which increased the displacement to 3.0 liters. Weber 44DCNF were now used.
In 1977 the Bora production ceased. The Merak was now the only super-car being produced by Maserati. The interior was once again updated and a new badge, the Merak SS, adorned the car. Due to US introduction of the Merak, an electric motor was used in-place of the hydraulic system that controled the headlight raising.
By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2007
|Historic racing greats and magnificent tourers join the starting grid for RM Sotheby's multi-million Euro Monaco sale|
|• RM Sotheby's prepares for biennial Monaco sale, 14 May, during the Grand Prix de Monaco Historique weekend
• Latest highlights led by the only road-registered Porsche 911 GT1 Evolution in existence, and Niki Lauda's first Formula One car - a 1971 March 711
• Sale also features pre-war grand touring greats including a 1936 Mercedes-Benz 540 K Cabriolet A and a 1932 Horch 670 Cabriolet
• Handpicked roster of blue-chip automobiles also features a 1948 Tucker 48, a rare addition to any European...[Read more...]|
|SHOW-STOPPING AUTOMOBILES AT RM SOTHEBY'S AMELIA ISLAND CONCOURS D'ELEGANCE SALE|
|• RM Sotheby's readies for its 18th annual Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance sale, March 12 in Florida
• Star attractions: 1939 Mercedes-Benz 540 K Spezial Cabriolet A and 1962 Ferrari 400 Superamerica LWB Coupe Aerodinamico lead roster of more than 90 blue-chip collector cars
• Sale features over a century of automotive design and styling, from Brass Era greats including a stunning Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP Silver Ghost, to modern exotics represented by a highly-optioned 2014 Pagani Huayra
• ...[Read more...]|
|FAST FERRARIS LEAD EARLY ENTRIES FOR RM SOTHEBY'S PARIS SALE DURING RETROMOBILE WEEK|
| ||• RM Sotheby's returns to Paris for its third annual sale during the Retromobile week, 3 February, 2016
• Auction to feature in excess of 60 of the world's finest automobiles
• Early entries led by the ex-Stefano Casiraghi 1989 Ferrari F40 and a special 2004 Ferrari Enzo
• Auction to be held at Place Vauban immediately after the Festival Automobile International
• Frequently updated list of entries available at www.rmsothebys.com
LONDON (05 November, 2015) – RM Sotheby's, the world'...[Read more...]|
|LANDMARK FERRARI 275S/340 AMERICA BARCHETTA LEADS EARLY HIGHLIGHTS FOR RM SOTHEBY'S FLAGSHIP MONTEREY AUCTION|
|• RM Sotheby's secures 1950 Ferrari 275S/340 America Barchetta, chassis 0030 MT, for its flagship Monterey sale, August 14-15 in California
• A Scuderia Ferrari 12-cylinder Barchetta, 0030 MT was raced by such legends in period as Alberto Ascari, Giovanni Bracco and Gianni Marzotto
• 0030 MT to be displayed at this weekend's celebrated Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance and RM Amelia Island sale in Florida
• Further event information and frequently updated list of entries available online ...[Read more...]|
|RM To Sell Magnificent 1905 Fiat 60HP|
|MAGNIFICENT 1905 FIAT 60HP HEADS LIST OF INCREDIBLE NEW ENTRIES FOR RM'S SALE DURING THE CONCORSO D'ELEGANZA VILLA D'ESTE WEEKEND
• RM Auctions announces additional stunning consignments for its forthcoming sale during the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este weekend, 25th May
• Offered for sale publicly for the first time in 108 years, this thundering and unique early 60HP FIAT presents collectors with the rarest of opportunities to buy a piece of motoring history
• A simply exquisite and...[Read more...]|