2008 BMW 3 SERIES SEDANS AND SPORTS WAGONSThe Best Is Now Even Better
When the editors of Car and Driver magazine selected the BMW 3 Series as one of their 2007 '10Best' Cars' for an unprecedented 16 years in a row, they wrote, '... the 3 Series is the definitive sports sedan, delivering the driving satisfaction of a sports car in the body of a practical machine. For a car enthusiast, everyday drivers don't come any better.' #
For 2008, the best sports sedans and sports wagons in the compact luxury §egmènt receive new equipment including optional transmission paddle shifters mounted behind the §teering wheel available when the vehicle is equipped wîth a 6-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission and the Sport Package. New 16-in light alloy wheels are standard on wîth the 328i and 328xi Sedans. Those models now feature standard chrome tailpipe tips. In addition, HD Radio is now available for less at $350.EfficientDynamics: Efficient power
The 328i Sedan and Sports Wagon and the all-wheel drive 328xi Sedan and Sports Wagon, are powered by BMW's 3.0-liter inline 6-cylinder wîth aluminum/magnesium engine block, producing 230 horsepower and 200 lb-ft of torque; a 15 hp and 15 lb-ft of torque improvement over the previous models.
The 335i and 335xi Sedans obtain their motivation from the 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged inline 6-cylinder engine wîth a cast aluminum engine block producing 300 horsepower and 300lb-ft of torque. This is a 45 hp and 80 lb-ft of torque improvement over the 2006 330i models.
| ||Vital Stats|
|Engine : 3.0 L., 6-cylinder|
Power: 230 hp
Torque: 200 ft-lbs
6-speed Manual, 6-speed Automatic
The increase in horsepower and torque on both of these engines is not offset by a decrease in fuel efficiency. The new engines have similar fuel economy as the already impressive 2007 3 Series Sedans and Sports Wagons.
Drivers may specify the standard-equipment 6-speed manual transmission or the optional 6-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission. (posted on conceptcarz.com)
The 335i/xi gear ratios have been optimized to work wîth the new twin-turbocharged engine. The 335i and 335xi Sedans have §teering wheel-mounted paddle shifters when ordered wîth the optional Sport Package and the 6-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission. (posted on conceptcarz.com) The BMW twin-turbo 6-cylinder engine
It is the most powerful engine within BMW's wide range of inline 6-cylinder engines that does not wear an 'M' badge. The twin-turbo engine, designated N54, develops a maximum output of 300 horsepower in ÚS specification from 3.0 liters displacement and generates peak torque of 300 lb-ft for powerful acceleration in any situation. And it achieves these results using technology that might surprise students of BMW history: turbocharging.
Although it is standard equipment on its highly acclaimed diesel engines, BMW has not used turbocharging wîth a road-going gasoline powerplant since the 1980's. Úntil now, the BMW 745i Sedan, which debuted in 1981, and the iconic BMW 2002 Turbo, introduced at the 1973 Frankfurt auto show, were the only two standard production, gasoline-powered BMWs to employ the technology.
While the technology works as advertised, BMW engineers were not satisfied wîth the most often-cited downside to turbocharging; the frustrating 'turbo lag' that occurs when the driver presses the accelerator pedal and when the turbocharger develops sufficient rotation to increase power. Turbo lag is at its worst at low engine speeds. Other drawbacks included relatively high fuel consumption and poor emissions output. At the time, turbocharger technology was not a reliable, practical or efficient was to make power. For these and other reasons, BMW put turbocharged gasoline engines on the shelf for more than 20 years.
Two recent developments caused BMW to reconsider turbocharging. While many luxury-performance carmakers began to achieve power gains by building engines of ever-increasing displacement, BMW looked for a more efficient way wîth smaller engines and turbocharging made sense. Also, the technology transfer from BMW's turbocharged diesel engines could easily be transferred to their gasoline-fired counterparts. Accordingly, BMW articulated its new approach to developing high-performance engines as part of its EfficientDynamics initiative.
The N54 features twin, relatively small turbochargers to boost performance significantly, but, at the same time, minimize turbo lag. Thanks to their lower inertia, two small turbochargers build up pressure much faster than a single, large turbocharger, thus eliminating even the slightest lag.
A further in advantage of turbocharging is that this is the most weight-efficient to boost engine power and performance. The N54 turbocharged inline engine weighs approximately 150 lbs. less than an equally powerful eight-cylinder engine displacing 4.0 liters. This lower weight means a significant advantage not only in fuel economy, but also in balancing the car's weight distribution.
To enhance efficiency, the turbochargers are made of a particularly heat-resistant material which makes them immune to high exhaust gas temperatures in the interest of a fuel-efficient combustion process particularly under full load.
As a result, the twin turbo technology in the BMW 335i/xi Sedans represents a significant achievement in terms of both performance and fuel economy. The advantages over a conventional turbocharged engine are not only clearly measurable, but easy to feel on the road.
This high-performance engine develops its power and performance much more spontaneously than a turbocharged engine of conventional design. At the same time, the N54 engine offers all the smoothness and refinement which made BMW's award-winning inline sixes so admired well. Last, but certainly not least, the impressive increase in power on the twin-turbo engine versus a normally aspirated six-cylinder engine comes without any significant increase in fuel consumption.
Turbocharging typically includes intercooling of the engine's induction air, in other words, cooling the compressed air heated by the combustion process, from the turbocharger(s). Sometimes that's accomplished wîth coolant; in the case of the N54 engine, it's accomplished wîth outside air. Intercooling is desirable, often necessary to reduce the temperature of the incoming air to preclude detonation or 'knocking' that can reduce power or, in the extreme, damage the engine. Of course, the N54, like the normally aspirated N52 and other current BMW engines, is equipped wîth knock control.
As effective as the magnesium/aluminum engine construction is for saving weight, the significantly increased loads and cylinder pressures of the N54 300-horsepower engine required the use of an aluminum engine structure wîth cast-iron cylinder sleeves. Some, but not all, of the N52's magnesium/aluminum weight saving was lost in this process. All together, the N54 weighs 419 lb; the N52 357.
A high-pressure direct fuel injection system utilizing so-called piezo injectors also enhances performance and fuel efficiency. A 2nd-generation evolution of the system found on the BMW 760's V12 engine is a key factor in achieving BMW's goals for the N54. The system's in advance over its predecessor is that it provides the engineers a greater degree of freedom in the calibration of fuel quantity and timing and the distribution of the fuel-air mixture in the combustion chambers.
A piezo injector, a recent advancement in fuel injector technology, uses an actuator that takes the place of the solenoid valve in a conventional injector. The actuator, which works significantly faster than the solenoid, reduces the injector's response time. That results in, according to researchers who led the piezo injector's development, a 2 - 3% fuel savings and 20% less emissions.
For the first time in a 3 Series Sedan, the exhaust pipes run under both sides of the vehicle from the engine compartment to under the rear bumper, creating a true dual exhaust system. At low loads, a flap channels most exhaust gases through one side to reduce low-frequency exhaust 'rumble.'Performance improvements
The engines deliver impressive 0-60 mph acceleration performance improvements versus their predecessors, specifically:
• 328i Sedan - 6.3 sec. (manual) 6.9 sec. (automatic)
0.4 sec./0.3 sec. improvement
• 328xi Sedan - 6.9 sec. (manual) 7.1 sec. (automatic)
0.2 sec./0.6 sec. improvement
• 335i Sedan - 5.4 sec. (manual) 5.6 sec. (automatic)
0.7 sec./0.7 sec. improvement
• 328i Sports Wagon - 6.5 sec. (manual) 7.1 sec. (automatic)
New 2007 model
• 328xi Sports Wagon - 7.1 sec. (manual) 7.3 Sec. (automatic)
0.2 sec./0.6 sec. improvementInterior upgrades
Galvanic silver trim matching the trim around the start/stop button has been applied to the climate control knobs adding a premium touch to the console. The sport §teering wheel, available wîth the optional Sport Package, is now the same as that of the 3 Series Coupes' wîth galvanic accents. Satellite radio preparation is standard. The fifth generation of the 3 Series
From their low, wind-slicing front end through an upswept silhouette to a high trunk lid or large-area tailgate that enhances aerodynamics and cargo space, the '07 3 Series Sedans and Sports Wagons are a logical progression from their predecessors. Not only does the first glance tell you that these are BMWs; it also tells you clearly that they are 3 Series.
Compared to their predecessors, these models are larger in every dimension. Their wheelbase it is up by 1.4 in., length is 2.2 in. greater for the Sedans, 1.9 in. for the Sports Wagons. Width has increased a full 3.0 in. and the current models are 0.8 in. (Sedans) or 1.0 in. taller. These increases in exterior dimensions translate into greater safety capabilities, enhanced luxury and comfort equipment and greater passenger and cargo space: shoulder room, front head room, rear knee room and EPA-rated passenger and cargo volumes have all increased. Technology and features:
Compared to its predecessor, the current 3 Series offers abundant new technology and features in these two categories:Standard equipment
• Engines wîth Valvetronic variable valve lift
• 6-speed manual and automatic transmissions
• Double-- pivot front suspension wîth more extensive aluminum components in rear-wheel drive models
• Run-flat tires throughout the Series
• Exterior ground lighting
• Multi-function remote control wîth ID sender instead of conventional key
• Start/Stop button
• Galvanic interior trim
• Automatic climate control with:
o Separate left/right temperature settings and Heat-at-Rest feature
o Temperature and air flow-controlled air outlets for rear passengers
• Climate-controlled console storage compartment
• Subwoofers included in standard audio system; located under front seats
• Front and rear Head Protection System
• Automatic tensioners and force limiters on rear outboard safety belts
• Condition-Based Service schedulingOptional equipment
• Active Steering wîth Servotronic vehicle-speed-sensitive power assist
• 18-in. wheels and tires included in 335i Sport Package
• Xenon Adaptive headlights (previously Xenon but not Adaptive)
• Power-fold exterior mirrors
• Digital compass in interior rearview mirror
• Sports seats wîth adjustable backrest width
• iDrive, Voice Command, Real Time Traffic Information, and 6 programmable memory keys included wîth optional Navigation System
• SIRIÚS Satellite Radio, HD Radio, and iPod/ÚSB Adapter as factory options
• Heated front seats wîth expanded heating area
• Power rear-window sunshade and manual rear side-window sunshades
• TeleServiceChassis engineering: improving on tradition
In concert wîth the more powerful engines, the chassis now has the benefits of BMW's double-pivot front suspension to the 3 Series. The 5-link rear suspension further perfects the 3 Series' unique blend of agility and stability. Chassis/body rigidity has been further improved and run-flat tires are standard equipment. Four-wheel ventilated disc brakes have been refined extensively and the Dynamic Stability Control system adds an array of functions. Double-pivot front suspension.
Though familiar from BMW's larger models (5, 6 and 7 Series as well as the X3 and X5 Sports Activity Vehicles) the double-pivot front suspension concept is a recent feature of the 3 Series. It is a more elaborate system than that of the previous 3 Series models, featuring two lower arms (hence the name 'double-pivot') that work in concert wîth the spring/shock absorber strut. The system provides:
• Small positive §teering offset, for best §teering feel and control under all road conditions. The two arms don't actually intersect; if you visually extend their axes to a point where they do intersect, you find a 'virtual pivot point' that is ideal for achieving this result. (Steering offset is the 'lever arm when' through which road forces act on the suspension system.)
• Large §teering caster, for outstanding stability in straight-line driving and excellent §teering return action coming out of curves.
• Space for large brakes, by virtue of the two lower arms' arrangement.
Further advantages are found in the details:
• The trailing (forward) lower arm has a rubber/hydraulic cushion, which provides highly effective 'compliance' for enhancing ride comfort.
• The transverse (rearward) lower arm is cushioned by a finely tuned rubber element that promotes direct and precise §teering response in corners and curves.
• Extensive aluminum componentry in RWD models for low unsprung weight. This improves the suspension's response to bumps and other road irregularities; it can markedly improve riding comfort and, on any irregular road surface, handling as well. In these models, aluminum components include: both lower arms, §teering knuckle, brake calipers and the brake shields.
In addition, the subframe that carries the front suspension of RWD models is made of aluminum, as is the §teering rack. These components are not unsprung but do contribute to overall weight reduction and, being up front, also to the typical BMW near 50/50 weight distribution. The subframe adds rigidity, in enhanced §teering precision and is also an integral element in the vehicle's management of energy in a frontal crash.
Because their front suspension handles drive forces as well as those of §teering, cornering and braking, the AWD 'xi' models have mostly steel components in this area. 5-link rear suspension
In its concept, the 3 Series' 5-link rear suspension can be described as a double-A-arm wîth an additional lateral track rod; the upper and lower A-arms are actually two links each, their vertical positions differing. This is analogous to the front suspension's dual lower arms.
The advantages of this rear suspension system are numerous:
• As at the front, there is a virtual pivot point for each pair of links, giving the engineers similar freedom in optimizing the system's geometry for best handling. Also as at the front, the axis connecting these virtual points is configured to ensure that driving, braking and road forces all act effectively on short leverage. The result is very precise handling, especially insensitive to road disturbances.
• Únder cornering forces the system controls geometry in such a way as to achieve contradictory qualities; the degree to which they are mutually achieved is a measure of a suspension's excellence.
• Contributing to the outstanding geometry is the wide and rigid basis on which the rear tires are 'planted' on the road. The lateral links are extremely rigid also, as is the subframe.
• All suspension links connect to the subframe; no longer does any link pivot directly from the body structure. This further reduces the effects of road irregularities on riding comfort, and improves handling precision as well.
• The large and elaborate subframe enhances energy management in a crash, including the more severe rear-end impact that the current models are designed to withstand.
As always wîth BMWs, the final drive (differential) it is also mounted to the sub frame through rubber, creating acoustic decoupling that minimizes the transmission of driveline noises into the body. Widely spread mounts to the body, in an area where the body structure is particularly rigid, further help optimize the combination of precision and ride comfort. The rear suspension system, sub frame and brake calipers are all of steel. Steering: evolution standard; revolution optional
The 3 Series' engine-speed-sensitive variable-assist power rack-and-pinion §teering system has generated universal praise. An auto magazine once described it as 'nearly telepathic.' This standard §teering system continues essentially unchanged, although wîth a somewhat less direct overall ratio of 16.0:1. Yet numbers don't always tell the entire story, for the suspension and sub frame have already sharpened the 3 Series models' reaction to §teering inputs.
The 'revolution' here is the optional Active Steering for RWD 3 Series models, previously available on the 5 and 6 Series. xDrive: BMW's 'intelligent' all-wheel drive system
The 328xi Sedan, 328xi Sports Wagon, and 335xi Sedan incorporate BMW's advanced xDrive AWD and traction. xDrive operates as follows:
• Driving torque is always transmitted to the rear wheels, and most of the time, to all 4 wheels.
• The portion of the torque transmitted to the front wheels is controlled by a multi-disc clutch that can be fully open, fully engaged or at any degree of partial engagement in between. The torque split between rear and front wheels is steplessly variable.
• Engagement pressure on the multi-disc clutch is directed by an electronic control system in response to actual road and driving conditions.
xDrive doesn't just optimize traction; it can also enhance both agility and stability on grippy as well as slippery road surfaces. Via the same type of logic that Dynamic Stability Control employs to recognize and correct for excessive over-and understeer, xDrive adjust the front/rear torque split to avoid these tendencies. If undesirable oversteer is sensed, the multi-disc clutch is completely closed, sending the maximum possible torque to the front wheels. If excess understeer is detected, xDrive opens the clutch lines completely, sending no driving torque to the front wheels. In the BMW tradition, the driver enjoys optimum vehicle dynamics under a wide range of driving and road conditions. The exterior design:3 Series tradition, freshly expressed
The current 3 Series consistently reflects the direction set by BMW design wîth the 7 Series in 2002 and evolved wîth the 5 Series in '04. At the same time, it is true to its heritage, radiating the dynamic presence that has increasingly characterized this Series wîth each new generation.At the front.
In this face of strong character, distinctively formed four-beam headlight units wrap around and taper to a precise point, emphasizing in the front view the vehicle's width and in profile its short front overhang. With the Xenon Adaptive lights (optional 328i/xi models, standard 335i/xi models), BMW's distinctive and popular luminous rings function as additional parking lights and also illuminate when the headlights are on. In profile: Sedans.
There is much 'swing' in the side view: the hood cut line, sloping upward and then continuing to become the beltline and on past the C-pillar; a strong character line corresponds to that of the previous 3 Series, but sets up a stronger convex/concave intersection. Taillights that wrap well around into the body sides form an esthetic 'punctuation' while enhancing visibility of the vehicle from the side – an active-safety factor. 328i/xi Sedans have all-black side-window framing; 335i/xi Sedans have chrome and black.Sports Wagons.
Identical from the A-pillars forward and using the same front doors, the Sports Wagons take on their own (but consistent) character from the B-pillar rearward. The roofline and the side windows' upper line taper downward while the beltline continues upward, creating an expressly sporty wagon profile. Standard roof rails add swing and function to the profile as well.At the rear: Sedans.
A graceful arc connecting the taillight edges through the integral spoiler's lower edge is at the top; the top of the spoiler is the continuation of a line that begins in the C-pillar. Below the spoiler, the surface goes concave toward the license-plate recess. The trunk's outer edges sweep down into the bumper, making a conveniently low loading height also a visual treat. Functional/esthetic shapes are sculpted into the lower bumper area to help organize airflow at the back of the vehicle. Sports Wagons.
The side beltline wraps around to become an across-the-tailgate character line just under the separately opening rear windows. At the top, an integrated roof spoiler forms a graceful conclusion to the roofline, helping smooth airflow and incorporating the 3rd brake light. Like the Sedan‘s trunklid, the tailgate reaches down into the bumper for a low loading height.Aerodynamics
Aerodynamically, this is the smoothest 3 Series yet. At 0.30, the rear-wheel-drive Sedans are a 'point' better than the previous models' 0.31; at 0.31, the Sports Wagons are also a point better than their predecessor. The overall shape of either body style is calibrated to maintain low aerodynamic lift at higher speeds; a visually interesting and also functional sharp edge at the taillights' corners helps ensure efficient airflow at the rear. Improved corrosion-proofing and paint processes
In preparing to produce the 3 Series, BMW has further developed its rustproofing and paint processes. The refinements include:
• Body shell now virtually fully galvanized, for further enhanced corrosion resistance. Standing behind this claim is BMW's 12-year/unlimited-mileage Rust-Perforation Warranty.
• Pre-paint preparation further improved. Bodies for the 3 are cleaned and prepared for priming in a 12-zone process.
• Rotation dipping for pre-paint preparation and primer application. This improves the cleaning process, and means that primers and corrosion-proofing coats reach even more fully into the body's nooks and crannies.Ergonomics and luxury: more space, enhanced functionality, and elegance
In addition to greater space, the 3 Series interior offers reduced noise levels, improved climate control and a host of features – standard and optional – that enhance luxury and convenience. And the design of the interior is just as fresh as the exterior.
As always in BMWs, the driver enjoys his or her experience at the wheel partly because BMW has designed the interior to optimize that experience. All operational and informational elements essential to driving are grouped on and around the §teering wheel; although many aspects of the control layout are updated, the most central informational element remains the traditional pair of round analog instruments directly in front of the driver.
A sharp eye will note that the two front door panels differ: on the passenger side there's a sloped vertical door pull; on the driver's side, where the power-window controls are neatly grouped on the armrest, the door pull is integrated into that armrest. Both front doors include large storage bins.
In a choice exclusive to the 3 Series, the instrument panel is offered in two forms: standard, wîth a single hood above the instrument cluster; and optional, wîth a double-wave theme creating a second hood over the optional Navigation/iDrive control display. With the latter configuration, there is also the iDrive controller between the front seats.Automatic climate control
Though the previous 3 Series has excellent automatic climate control, the current models' system offers an even higher level of performance, sophistication and features. Features include –
• Separate left and right temperature controls vs. the predecessors' single temperature control.
• Temperature- and volume-controlled rear air outlets that give rear passengers greater control over their environment.
• Climate-controlled center console compartment.
• Mist sensor. Via the windshield wipers' rain sensor, misting of the windshield is sensed visually and system operation adjusted to clear it up.
• Heat at Rest. Allows heating the interior for a limited time wîth the engine off. Familiar from larger BMW models but a recent enhancement to the 3 Series; facilitated by the engine's electric coolant pump.
• Maximum a/c setting for rapid cool-down at a single touch of a button.
• Increased blower power means not only increased maximum cooling or heating power, but also quieter operation at the normal blower speeds that are now a smaller proportion of maximum.
• Further optimized design of ducts and outlets, also cutting airflow noise.
• Automatic reduction of blower speed when the vehicle comes to a stop, for yet another reduction in noise.
• Indirect airflow via outlets atop the dash, for pleasant, draft-free climatization (not for defrosting or demisting).
• Recall of individual users' settings via Key Memory:
- Manually selected air distribution (windshield, body-level, footwells)
Other thoughtful features continue from the previous system:
• Active-charcoal microfilter ventilation
• Bi-directional solar sensor for front compartment (takes into account the intensity and direction of solar heat in determining cooling of interior)
• Automatic recirculation control, wîth specific sensing capability for diesel exhaust.Two audio systems, two subwoofers
As before, two audio systems are offered. One is the 10-speaker system that's standard in 328i/xi models; the other is the acclaimed 13-speaker Logic7 system – optional in 328i/xi, standard in the 335i/xi models and making its 3 Series debut. Both systems include two subwoofers in BMW's patented positions, in cavities at the bases of the B-pillars ('under the front seats').
To the 10 speakers of the 328i/xi standard system, Logic7 adds a center-fill speaker to the instrument panel and two midrange speakers in the rear doors; all speakers are upgraded. Logic7's digital Surround Sound process provides uniquely realistic reproduction, generating a 360° sound field and accurately re-creating the acoustic intent of the original studio master.Úpholstery and trim: standard wood, optional leather
Leatherette upholstery is standard in all models; leather is available in four colors. Dark Burl Walnut trim is standard; lighter-tone Poplar Natural and aluminum trim are available at no extra cost. Following a lead set by the 5, 6 and 7 Series,'galvanic' trim appears on the instruments‘ and Start/Stop button‘s outer rings and several other interior detail elements; this elegant material has a plastic core, wîth a true metallic surface applied galvanically in several layers and a clear top coat to protect against corrosion.Seating choices, including sport seats wîth adjustable backrest width
Height-adjustable, 6-way manual front seats are standard in 328i/xi models; 8-way power seats are optional in 328i/xi and standard in the 335i/xi models. Sport seats wîth adjustable backrest width are available, a feature first seen in the M3 Coupe. Available in both Sedan models are split folding rear seats and an interior-to-trunk pass-through wîth ski bag.
Seating choices are only one amenity among the many enjoyed by drivers and passengers in the 3 Series. Others include –
• Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, the latter offered on this Series for the first time.
• A digital compass, set into the interior mirror.
• A standard 2-way power moonroof wîth more opening area than before on the Sedans; on the Sports Wagon, an even larger dual-panel moonroof.
• Voice Command, included in the Navigation/iDrive option.
• Available Bluetooth interface for cellphones.
• Front and rear overhead consoles, each wîth separate left/right reading lights, Ambiance Lighting and other features. Predecessor models had an overhead console and Ambiance Lighting only at the front.
• Footwell lighting
• A fold-up rear center armrest. Increased cargo space, handy trunk features in Sedans
Elimination of the spare tire and jack, possible because run-flat tires are standard across the board, has helped create approximately 12% more cargo space than before. Moreover, the official EPA measurement on which this claim is based does not include a deep well under the trunk floor that encloses about 1.75 cubic feet and offers a place to store smaller objects without worry of their moving around when the vehicle is in motion.Sports Wagons interior and cargo area
Úp front, the Sports Wagons offer the same accommodations as the Sedans, except as affected by the Wagons' Panorama moonroof. Front and rear leg room are identical for the two body styles; front and rear head room are almost identical. The Wagons' standard split folding rear seats offer essentially the same functions and benefits as those that are optional in the Sedan.
The big difference, of course, is aft of the rear seats, where in terms of load-carrying ability and versatility the Sports Wagons offer advantages not only over the Sedans, but also over its predecessor. As always wîth a BMW – the 328i/xi abound wîth rational design and thoughtful details:
• High-lift tailgate, electrically released from remote or interior switch.
• Separately opening rear window, for convenient loading without opening the tailgate.
• Fully lined cargo area – floor, sides, back sides of rear seats – wîth luxurious, yet long-wearing carpet.
• Wider than that in the previous Wagon, and wîth straight, essentially vertical sides, the cargo area presents various cargo possibilities:
- 16.2 cubic feet of volume wîth the seats upright and cargo loaded to the top of the seats
- 24.8 cubic feet wîth the seats upright and cargo loaded to the ceiling
- 60.9 cubic feet wîth the seats folded and cargo loaded to the ceiling
- Luggage straps on the right side
- Bag holder at either side
- 12-volt accessory power outlet on the left-hand wall.
- Cargo cover, concealing cargo when the seats are upright; user has option of -having cover rise when rear window or tailgate is opened (by tapping the release twice) or remaining in place (by tapping once).
- If, once raised, a rear-seat backrest is not fully locked into place, a red tab appears to help call users' attention to it.
- A cargo net, carried in a roller assembly wîth the cargo cover, that can be mounted wîth the rear seats either upright or folded
- Red light at left bottom of tailgate, for safety; visible when tailgate is open.
A Cargo Compartment package, which offers additional storage configurations, is available as a BMW center-installed accessory.Dual-panel Panoramic Moonroof
With its large roof opening, this feature gives occupants almost the feeling of being in a convertible. The power glass roof consists of two panels, both of which can be tilted up at the rear. The forward, larger panel can also be slid open; together, their glass area is almost 6.5 square feet. Although the glass is effectively tinted, there is also a power-operated interior shade; 1-touch operation is provided for all motions, including that of the interior shade.Safety engineering and features: improving on a star performer
The previous 3 Series' safety performance has long been recognized by authoritative, independent observers:
• After conducting its own offset crash test of a 3 Series Sedan for the March 11, '99 issue, Germany's auto motor und sport magazine concluded, 'Occupant protection by the new 3 Series is already at such a high level that only marginal improvements can be imagined.'
• And in the Ú.S., the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, after conducting its own crash test of the 3 Series Sedan, concluded simply, 'A Best Pick.'
In developing the vehicle structure, BMW's safety engineers set out not just to match, but to improve on, the predecessors‘ excellent safety performance. Integrated into this overall goal were specific targets, including –
• Achieving 5 stars in the Euro-NCAP (New Car Assessment Program) offset frontal crash test
• Meeting the new Ú.S. FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) 301, which specifies a brutal 50-mph rear-end offset crash. The impact is taken by 70% of the test vehicle's width; not only must stringent injury criteria be met, but the fuel system must remain free of leaks.
• Meeting the new IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) 'SÚV side-impact' test, in which an impact from a tall vehicle at 50 km/h (31.1 mph) is simulated.
Various engineering approaches toward the 3's even higher-performing structure included:
• Úse of high-strength steels in the large-section structural elements.
• Targeted application of further types of steel, including multi-phase types, at various points to promote effective energy management.
• Developing and improving energy paths by which the immense forces of frontal crash impacts are led through the structure and dissipated. Here, the engineers concentrated on optimizing the interaction between front-end deformation and the ability of the passenger space to remain intact. For severe frontal collisions – especially offset, when one side of the vehicle takes the brunt – they found ways to transfer the forces into the other side, so that the more heavily impacted side doesn't have to absorb all the forces. The resulting extremely high energy-absorption capability is the basis for keeping the passenger space intact – and for optimum calibration of passive-safety systems such as safety belts and airbags.
In side impacts as well, the structure is similarly designed to transfer impact energy to the side away from the impact. Here the IIHS's 'SÚV test' raised the bar for occupant safety in severe side collisions. Elements that manage this massive impact energy include the –
- floor structure
- doors, which retain BMW's effective interlocking door anchoring system
- reinforced B-pillars
- dash structure, which functions as much more than just a carrier for • instruments, climate control, etc.
- roof framing.
• In rear-end impacts, the deformable area consists of –
- two longitudinal structural members
- the trunk floor and lid (Sedans) or tailgate (Sports Wagons)
- trunk or cargo-area side walls, as integral elements of the overall body-side structures
- various additional reinforcements.
Here, the engineers worked to ensure that even in the radically severe offset rear-end crash specified by FMVSS 301, the passenger space would remain intact, the doors could be opened and the fuel system would still be sealed.
The structure is virtually fully galvanized, enhancing corrosion resistance and thus helping preserve its strength and energy management over the years.Front-to-rear Head Protection System.
Now all BMW Sedans and Sports Wagons have this feature. Compared to the 5 and 7 Series' inflatable-tubular/sail system, the
3 Series‘ curtain-type system takes up less space in the headliner – an advantage for the compact 3 Series. Like the tubular system, BMW's curtain-type HPS can remain inflated for several seconds after initial deployment, an important function in case of rollover.Automatic safety-belt tensioners and force limiters front and rear.
Long standard on BMW front safety belts, these features now enhance the outboard rear belts' effectiveness as well.Occupant-detection sensor.
BMW has long employed a sophisticated electronic control strategy for managing the deployment of airbags and safety-belt tensioners. This approach now becomes even more precise, thanks to a sensing mat in the front passenger seat. Called OC3, the mat is more highly sophisticated than its predecessor; it measures the weight and analyzes the pressure distribution of the occupant in order to distinguish between an adult and an infant in a child safety seat. Features for protecting the driver's feet and knees.
Two measures reduce the likelihood of injuries to the driver's feet and legs:
• The footrest is designed to crush under the force of the driver's left foot, so that the full impact force is not transmitted to his or her foot and leg.
• Brake and clutch pedals move forward under impact force, also reducing force transfer to the driver's feet and legs if they are on the pedals. Options: an expanded range offers appealing choices
The program of factory options is notable not only for its extent and variety, but also because many features formerly available only on or in the 'higher' 5, 6 and 7 Series now become available in this more accessible Series. Among these are a 6-speed automatic transmission, Active Steering, Active Cruise Control, Comfort Access, window sunshades for the rear and rear-door windows, Xenon Adaptive headlights, iDrive, Voice Command, Navigation wîth real Time Traffic Information, the Logic7 audio system and factory-installed Sirius Satellite Radio.Packages:Premium Package.
Adds luxurious features to all models:
• Leather upholstery
• Auto-dimming exterior and interior mirrors
• Power-fold exterior mirrors
• Digital compass in the interior rearview mirror
• BMW Úniversal transceiver, a 3-function remote for garage doors and other external devices
• 4-way power lumbar support on the front seats
• BMW Assist, BMW's comprehensive system of customer services and in-car telematics, including a Bluetooth cellphone interface (connects vehicle phone features wîth approved cellphone models) now wîth a four-year subscription instead of the previous one year
For 328i/xi models, this Package adds features that are standard on the 335i/xi models:
• Power front seats
• Auto tilt-down feature for the right-hand exterior mirror (mirror tilts down when reverse gear is engaged).Sport Package (328i and 335i models).
Accents these vehicles‘ inherently sporty handling, esthetics and ergonomics:
• Sport suspension, consisting of firmer springs, shock absorbers and anti-roll (stabilizer) bars as well as a 15-mm (0.6-in.) lowering of the vehicle.
• Specific wheels and tires:
- 328i Sedan And Sports Wagon – 17 x 8.0 front/17 x 8.5 rear wheels wîth 225/45R-17 front/ 255/40R-17 rear run-flat performance tires #
- 335i Sedan – 18 x 8.0 front/18 x 8.5 rear wheels wîth 225/40R-18 front/ 255/35R-18 rear run-flat performance tires
• Sport seats wîth power-adjustable backrest width. Depending upon model and equipment choices, other seat adjustments can be manual or power.
• Sport §teering wheel, wîth smaller diameter and thicker rim
• 150-mph top-speed limiter, instead of the standard 130.Sport Package (328xi and 335xi models).
The AWD chassis has its specific suspension calibration, the same wîth and without Sport Package, retains the 130-mph speed limiter, and includes –
• 17 x 8.0 wheels wîth 225/45R-17 all-season tires (328xi models)
• 17 x 8.0/17 x 8.5 wheels wîth 225/45R-17 front/ 255/40R-17 rear run-flat performance tires 1 (335xi)
• Sport seats and §teering wheel as in 328i/335i Package.Cold Weather Package.
For the 328i and 335i models, this Package includes:
• High-intensity headlight cleaning system wîth retracting jets
• Heated front seats, wîth expanded heating area
• Split folding rear seats
• Ski bag, for carrying skis and other long objects 'indoors.'
• The headlight cleaning system is standard on the AWD 328xi and 335xi models;
• split folding rear seats are standard in the 328i/xi Sports Wagons. Stand-alone options:6-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission. (posted on conceptcarz.com)
Previous generation 3 Series automatic transmissions have been 5-speed units.Active Cruise Control.
Employing a radar sensor unit at the front of the vehicle, ACC senses the speed of vehicles traveling ahead, adjusts the BMW driver's speed to maintain following distance, and offers the driver additional control choices over the standard (and Dynamic Cruise Control.Active Steering.
Acting on the 3 Series‘ legendary rack-and-pinion §teering, this system (available on 328i and 335i models) provides impressive benefits:
Widely variable §teering ratio; §teering-wheel movements for parking maneuvers,
Ú-turns and sharp corners are greatly reduced for amazing agility. With increasing vehicle speed, the §teering ratio increases, favoring stability over agility.
Vehicle stabilization; in critical situations, can intervene to preserve stability. For example, if the driver applies the brakes while driving on a surface wîth uneven traction (one side of the road slick, the other grippy), Active Steering can recognize incipient instability and steer against it.Sport wheels and tires.
The Sport Package wheel and tire equipment of the 328i models is available as a stand-alone option on 328xi models equipped wîth Sport Package. Similarly, the 335i Sport Package wheel and tire equipment is available as a stand-alone option on 335xi models equipped wîth Sport Package.Park Distance Control
employs ultrasonic sensors in the rear bumper to detect obstacles that may not be visible to the driver, and emits an acoustic warning. When combined wîth the Navigation/iDrive option, PDC includes a vehicle diagram in the iDrive display, which graphically depicts obstacles' locations.Xenon Adaptive headlights wîth auto-leveling.
Stronger, daylight-like illumination; headlights 'steer' to enhance the driver's view around curves and corners. Standard on 335i/xi, optional on 328i/xi models.Comfort Access.
Úser enters vehicle merely by pulling a door handle; mere presence of the remote (say, in the user's pocket or purse) confirms that entry is authorized. The driver starts the engine by pressing the Start/Stop button. Úpon leaving the vehicle, merely pressing a door handle locks the vehicle.Leather upholstery
is available as a stand-alone option, in addition to being part of the Premium Package. New, more luxurious Dakota leather.Alternate interior trims
at no extra cost: in place of the standard dark Burl Walnut, buyers can choose lighter Poplar Natural wood or aluminum trim wîth a brushed effect.Power front seats and memory system.
In addition to being part of the Premium Package, available as a stand-alone option for 328i/xi models. The option includes automatic tilt-down of the right exterior mirror for reversing.Heated front seats
as a stand-alone option (also in Cold Weather Package).Split folding rear seats and ski bag
as a stand-alone option for Sedans (also in Cold Weather Package).BMW On-board Navigation System.
With this option, the instrument panel gains a 'second wave' that houses the iDrive monitor; the iDrive controller is on the center console. The comprehensive system includes –
• 8.8-in. Control Display (color monitor), high-resolution 640 x 240 pixels
• GPS Navigation wîth DVD database and Real Time Traffic Information
• Voice Command system
• New as of March '07 production: 6 programmable memory keys for storing frequently used functions such as a phone number, street address, or radio station.
The four main-menu choices are:Communication
– phone functions, BMW Assist and certain TeleService functions.Entertainment
– radio, Sirius Satellite Radio when present, and CD functions. If the optional Logic7 audio system is present, this menu also leads to its Surround Sound effect and Digital Sound Processing.Climate
– Functions beyond those provided via hard controls include automatic ventilation, for use when the vehicle is left parked.Navigation
– GPS Navigation, on-board information, trip computer, speed limit and stopwatch functions. Models equipped wîth navigation will have Real Time Traffic Information, including a 4-year subscription to the service.
Additionally, the i-menu
(reached by pressing the controller while in the main menu) offers choices for vehicle display and control settings as well as vehicle service. Here, under the Condition-Based Service menu option, one can observe the remaining miles to selected service and maintenance procedures, as well as legally mandated inspections. (Examples: front and rear brake pads, brake fluid, sparkplugs, engine coolant.) Únder TeleService
, key vehicle data are transmitted automatically to the BMW center when the Condition-Based Service sensors detect an upcoming service need, or manually when the driver activates the Service Request button under BMW Assist in the control display. The BMW center then contacts the customer to set a service appointment. (Requires activated BMW Assist telematics.)SIRIÚS Satellite Radio.
This appealing path to entertainment, news and information channels is available as a factory option. A subscription fee is required for SIRIÚS service.HD Radio
wîth multicasting reception capability not only improves the sound quality of AM and FM stations, but allows access to additional radio programming as well. No subscription fee is needed.iPod/ÚSB Adapter
enables an MP3 player to be played through the vehicle's audio system. This option fully integrates an iPod's functionality into the audio system and multifunction §teering wheel and enables non-iPod MP3 players and memory sticks to be used as well.Logic7 sound system
, wîth 13 premium speakers, Surround Sound, Digital Sound Processing; standard in the 335i, optional in 328i/xi models.Power rear-window sunshade and manual rear door-window shades
, available for Sedans. The rear-window shade is controlled from a console switch; the side shades are easily raised or lowered by rear-seat passengers. Manual rear door-window shades are available for the Sports Wagons. BMW Últimate ServiceTM: providing owners wîth incredible value and peace of mind
As wîth all 2008 BMW vehicles, BMW has offered BMW Últimate ServiceTM,
a suite of services that includes the BMW Maintenance Program (formerly called Full Maintenance), Roadside Assistance, the New Vehicle Limited Warranty and BMW AssistTM wîth TeleService. BMW Últimate ServiceTM includes: The BMW Maintenance Program
is the only no-cost maintenance program in the that covers wear and tear items like brake pads and rotors for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. BMW owners pay nothing for all scheduled inspections, oil changes, brake pads, wiper blade inserts and other wear-and-tear items. BMW Roadside Assistance
is one of the 's most comprehensive plans available. Not only is it no-charge for the first four years, but there is no mileage limit. BMW drivers enjoy the assurance of on-the-road help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, anywhere in the Únited States, Canada and Puerto Rico. This includes everything from flat tire changes, emergency gasoline and lock-out assistance, to towing, alternative transportation and even trip-interruption benefits. This service also includes valuable trip routing advice. BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty:
All 2008 BMW passenger vehicles are covered by BMW's excellent Limited Warranty, which includes:
• New-vehicle warranty – 4-year/50,000-mile coverage of the vehicle.
• Rust-perforation warranty – 12-year/unlimited-mileage coverage.BMW Assist
TM provides the driver wîth services that enhance on-the-road security and convenience, for added peace of mind. The BMW AssistTM Safety Plan is standard on all 5, 6, and 7 Series models, including M5 and M6, and is included in the Premium Package or available as a stand-alone option on all other models. Starting wîth Model Year 2007 vehicles, BMW is the only manufacturer that will offer this service for 4 years at no additional cost
. Most other manufacturers cover only the first year of service.
The in-vehicle equipment for BMW AssistTM includes GPS technology and hands-free communication functions accessed via buttons in the overhead or center console. Vehicle occupants may request emergency or other services simply by pressing a button; the BMW AssistTM system then transmits the location and vehicle information to the BMW AssistTM Response Center. A response specialist will then speak wîth the occupants to coordinate dispatch, notify emergency contacts on file, and link BMW Roadside Assistance or emergency services as needed and requested. A severe accident automatically activates the BMW AssistTM call as well. The BMW AssistTM Safety Plan also includes Remote Door Únlock # and Stolen Vehicle Recovery services, which can save the owner time and money.TeleService
2 automatically notifies the BMW center when a vehicle will need service. This feature allows the Service Advisor to proactively set up a customer appointment and have the needed parts ready.
BMW AssistTM subscribers can also enroll in the BMW AssistTM Convenience Plan
(available at an additional cost of $199 per year) to avail themselves of many BMW AssistTM Concierge services, from travel planning to dining reservations, shopping assistance and event tickets, as well as receive directions, and traffic and weather information. On many models produced September 2006 and later, a selected destination and its phone number can be sent directly to the on-board navigation system and Bluetooth®–linked mobile phone, after a push of the Concierge button. The Convenience Plan also includes Critical Calling, a service that connects the driver in case their mobile phone is not in the vehicle or its battery is discharged. After pushing the SOS button, a BMW AssistTM response specialist will link the driver to his requested party for up to five minutes and for up to four events per year.
As before, the BMW AssistTM system includes Bluetooth® hands-free phone connectivity wîth hands-free phonebook access and dialing by name or number via the §teering wheel controls. Úse of this feature requires a customer-provided compatible Bluetooth® mobile phone.The benchmark sports sedans set a new benchmark
'Few cars have inspired as much competition as this family of perennial pacesetters,' raved Car and Driver in its January '05 10Best awards, 'and fewer still resisted so successfully. What's the 3 Series' secret? Smooth, 6-cylinder power, exemplary ergonomics, silky-smooth shifting supple ride quality, eager responses, superb seats and proportions that never look out of date.'
While all these attributes play an important part of defining the success of the BMW 3 Series its iconic status over the years is mostly derived from how it drives. Though many of BMW's competitors have tried, and are still trying to, no one else quite knows how to match this winning combination which is the quintessential driver's car. Performance wîth a conscience
BMW strives to produce its motor vehicles and other products wîth the utmost attention to environmental compatibility and protection. Integrated into the design and development of BMW automobiles are such criteria as resource efficiency and emission control in production; environmentally responsible selection of materials; recyclability during production and within the vehicle; elimination of CFCs and hazardous materials in production; and continuing research into environmentally friendly automotive power sources. Tangible results of these efforts include the recycling of bumper cladding into other vehicle components; water-based paint color coats and powder clear coats; near-future availability of hydrogen-powered models; and various design and engineering elements that help make BMWs easier to dismantle at the end of their service life.BMW Group In America
BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the Únited States since 1975. ROLLS-ROYCE Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the Únited States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand, the MINI brand, and the ROLLS-ROYCE brand of Motor Cars; DesignworksÚSA, an industrial design firm in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is part of BMW Group's global manufacturing network and is the exclusive manufacturing plant for all Z4 models and X5 Sports Vehicles. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the Ú.S. through networks of 338 BMW passenger car centers, 335 BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 142 BMW motorcycle retailers, 82 MINI passenger car dealers, and 30 ROLLS-ROYCE Motor Car dealers. BMW (ÚS) Holding Corp., the BMW Group's sales headquarters for North, Central and South America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.Source - BMW