1924 Maxwell Model 25-C news, pictures, specifications, and information
Chassis Num: 465964
|Sold for $8,250 at 2007 RM Auctions.|
The twin-cylinder Maxwell runabouts were popular due to their competitive price tag and durable engines.
In 1907 a fire destroyed the Tarrytown, NY factory. A new location was chosen in New Castle, Indiana and the Maxwell Company created what was, at the time, the largest factory in the world. The factory would be used by Chrysler until its demolition in 2004.
By 1909 the company was third in the industry in terms of production figures. During that year Alice Huyler Ramsey and three female friends made an all-girl coast-to-coast journey in a Maxwell. This was unheard of and unthinkable for an all woman crew at the time, which made the accomplishment even more memorable and astonishing.
The Maxwell company became apart of the United States Motor Company, formed in 1910. It was the only profitable company in the union. The United States Motor Company failed due to conflicts between two of its backers and disbanded in 1913. Maxwell was the only surviving marque to emerge from the failed company.
In 1913, the Maxwell assets were purchased by Walter Flanders who reorganized the company as the Maxwell Motor Company, Inc. The operation was moved to Detroit, Michigan with other facilities located in Dayton, Ohio.
In the post World War I era recession, many manufacturers were devastated by a poor and slow moving economy. Maxwell found themselves in peril after over-extending themselves resulting in large amounts of debt and over half of their production unsold. In 1921, Walter P. Chrysler took a controlling interest in Maxwell and the company was re-incorporated in West Virginia with Walter Chrysler as the chairman. Chrysler, a name associated with Buick and Willys-Overland Company, had stepped in to sort out quality problems and boost sales. Around the same time, Maxwell was merging with the ailing Chalmers Automobile Company. Production of the Chalmers Company ceased in late 1923.
In 1925 Walter Chrysler formed the Chrysler Motor Corporation and the Maxwell line was phased out and its assets were absorbed by Chrysler. The Chrysler automobiles in 1926 were basically four-cylinder Maxwells from the year before.
This 1924 Maxwell Model 25-C Touring Car was created during the Walter Chrysler era. It is powered by a four-cylinder L-head engine that displaces 185.8 cubic-inches and produces 34 horsepower. There is a three-speed manual gearbox and two-wheel mechanical drum brakes. The 109-inch wheelbase is held in place by a solid front axle and a live rear axle, both with semi-elliptic leaf springs.
There is rust throughout the vehicle. The body is straight, the doors close well, the wood steering wheels in in good condition, the chassis has surface rust but there are no discernable weak spots and the engine turns freely. There are dings and dents throughout, the seats have cracked and hardened, and the top has some tears. The odometer reads 24,796 miles and was last inspected in 1930 in Pennsylvania.
This Model 25-C Touring Car was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars sale at Hershey, PA presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $6,000 - $12,000 and offered without reserve. The estimates proved to be fair and the lot was sold for a high bid of $8,250 including buyer's premium.
By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2007
|DAIMLER TRUCKS NORTH AMERICA RECOGNIZES 44 MASTERS OF QUALITY|
|Portland, Ore. - Daimler Trucks North America (DTNA) has recognized 44 North American manufacturers from the United States, Canada, and Mexico as recipients of its highest award for its suppliers: the 2012 Masters of Quality Supplier Award. The selected suppliers provide top quality components for Freightliner and Western Star truck brands. The annual program, now in its 26th year, recognizes suppliers that meet or exceed Daimler Truck North America's stringent quality standards by rec...[Read more...]|
|FORD'S SUPPLIER DIVERSITY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM: 35 YEARS OF EMPOWERING MINORITY, WOMEN AND VETERAN BUSINESS OWNERS|
|◾ Ford's award-winning Supplier Diversity Development (SDD) program celebrates its 35th anniversary; since 1978 Ford has spent more than $67 billion with diverse suppliers ◾ In 2012 Ford spent $5.7 billion with tier-one minority-owned suppliers, $1.2 billion with tier-one women-owned suppliers, and $2.1 billion with tier-one suppliers who use tier-two minority- and women-owned businesses ◾ A diverse supplier base brings a fresh perspective that can lead to cutting-edge innovations and help ac...[Read more...]|
|FULL STEAM AHEAD FOR HISTORICS|
|• Stanley Steamer takes centre stage for spring sale|
Brooklands will provide the backdrop for the ultimate MPV – built long before the category was even invented – when a 1917 20hp Stanley Mountain Wagon crosses the 'block' on Saturday March 9th for Historics' spring sale. Having sold their dry plate photographic business to Eastman Kodak, twin brothers Francis E. Stanley and Freelan O. Stanley decided to set up the Stanley Motor Carriage Company in order to manufacture steam powe...[Read more...]