|2009 Viper SRT10|
Image credits: © Dodge.
2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 news, pictures, and information
2008 Dodge Viper SRT10®: 600 Horsepower Sets New Benchmark for the Ultimate American Sports CarThe 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10® is the ultimate American sports car and the icon of the Dodge brand.
For 2008, the Dodge Viper SRT10 offers even more outrageous power, wîth an 8.4-liter 600-horsepower (450 kW) V-10 engine contributing to blistering acceleration (0-60 mph in less than 4 seconds, 0-100-0 mph in the low 12-second range), setting a new American sports car benchmark.
A dramatic new hood featuring a larger, more efficient hood scoop for air induction and functional hood louvers to facilitate a greater cooling effect enhance Viper's bold, aggressive looks. Viper design hallmarks including deep-cut side scallops, swept-back fenders, lowered hood lines and the signature Dodge crosshair grille remain.
The new 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 will offer a new level of customization wîth a choice of eight exterior colors, five dual-painted stripe colors, five interior colors and three wheel designs.
'A legendary big-game hunter once said, ‘Bring enough gun!' — and wîth the new 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10, we've created some very powerful artillery for sports-car enthusiasts,' said Kipp Owen, Director – Street and Racing Technology (SRT) Engineering, Chrysler Group. 'With 600 horsepower — 90 more than before — and 0-to-60 performance in less than four seconds, the 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 sets a new benchmark for the ultimate American sports car.'
The 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 remains available in two body styles — Roadster and Coupe. Both feature a dramatic new hood wîth a larger, more efficient hood scoop for air induction and larger, functional hood louvers to facilitate a greater cooling effect for the more powerful 8.4-liter 600-horsepower V-10 engine underneath.
Eight exterior colors will be introduced throughout the model year — five of which are all-new including Venom Red, Snakeskin Green, Viper Violet, Viper Orange and Viper Bright Blue. Racing stripes continue to be an option wîth five dual-painted stripe colors available: white, black, silver, graphite and red.
Several exterior differences exist between the 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 Roadster and Coupe. In fact, the only body panels the Roadster and Coupe share are front fascia and fenders, hood and doors. However, all of the iconic Viper SRT10 design cues are consistent in both models, including the signature Dodge crosshair grille, deep-cut side scallops, swept-back fenders and lowered hood lines.
The Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe's hard top wîth its 'double bubble' styling makes it even more torsionally stiff than the Roadster. The 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe offers increased downforce and high-speed stability wîth its sloping roofline and deck-lid spoiler. Plus, the Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe has an additional 6.25 cubic feet of trunk space than the Viper SRT10 Roadster, for a total of 14.65 cubic feet. The roof and headliner structure offer more room to accommodate a safety cage, while maintaining as much head room as possible.
The 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 Roadster and Coupe cockpit retains its characteristic red push-button starter and performance-oriented, highly functional instrument panel wîth center-mounted tachometer and 220-mph speedometer.
Five interior colors will be available in 2008: black, and four new color combinations in black/red, black/blue, black/medium slate or black/natural tan. A choice of bezel finishes on the center instrument panel and console adds to the increased level of customization.
The new Dodge Viper SRT10's deep-skirted V-10 aluminum-block was revised for a 1-millimeter larger bore to 8.4-liters (510 cubic-inch) and generates 600 horsepower (450 kW) and 560 lb.-ft. (760 N•m) of torque. And all that power is compliant wîth stringent regulatory requirements, such as federal Tier 2, Bin 5 and California's Low Emissions Vehicle (LEV) 2 mandates.
The 2008 Viper SRT10 engine features new cylinder heads equipped wîth Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC)-shaped combustion chambers, larger valves and Variable Valve Timing (VVT) featuring new CamInCam® technology. The VVT application used in the 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 electronically adjusts when the exhaust valves are open and closed according to engine speed and load, allowing the engine to 'breathe' more cleanly and efficiently.
The 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 V-10's two-piece intake manifold combines a cast aluminum lower plenum wîth smooth runners for better air flow, bolted to a die-cast aluminum upper plenum. A revised air-cleaner box wîth a low-restriction filter sends air through dual electronic throttle control modules into the intake plenum.
The air-fuel mixture in the cylinders is ignited by platinum-tip spark plugs fired by new individual plug coils mounted on the cylinder-head covers.
Within the cylinders, pistons are equipped wîth larger-diameter floating pins in bronze bushed rods for high-load capability. The forged powder-metal connecting rods are secured wîth aircraft-quality fasteners for increased fatigue strength.
Engine lubrication is managed by a larger oil pump and a swinging oil pickup adapted from the Viper competition coupe engines, to improve oil pressure in high-rpm and hard-cornering conditions.
Spent gases exit through tubular air-gap headers, which not only improve exhaust flow, but also ensure quick catalyst light-off for improved emission control. The headers' stamped stainless-steel outer shell acts as a thermal heat shield for the individual stainless-steel runners that contribute to better flow separation and exhaust tuning.
The 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10's V-10 channels its power through a new, smaller-diameter, twin-disc clutch (a change from the previous larger-diameter, single-disc setup). The new ZF Sachs clutch reduces rotating inertia by 18 percent, reduces clutch-pedal effort and improves engagement feel.
Transferring the Dodge Viper SRT-10's power to the rear wheels is a heavy-duty six speed manual transmission. (posted on conceptcarz.com)
Stopping power is another carefully developed part of the Viper SRT10 equation, wîth 14-inch brake rotors gripped by Brembo 44/40 dual opposing piston calipers in the front and Brembo 42/38 dual opposing calipers in the rear. This system results in a world-class braking performance of 60-to-zero mph in less than 100 feet.
Dodge Viper SRT10 performance is further defined by a race-bred aluminum, fully independent, four-wheel suspension featuring lightweight, high-performance aluminum control arms and knuckles, damped by lightweight coil-over shock absorbers. Power is delivered to the pavement via a Dana M44-4 rear axle and a new 4-pinion GKN ViscoLok speed-sensing limited-slip differential for higher torque capacity and improved traction.
The 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 rides on polished forged aluminum 18 x 10-inch front and 19 x 13-inch rear wheels, clad in Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 non-run-flat tires. Each tire includes low-pressure sensors in the valve stem.
• The 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 generates 600 horsepower (450 kW) and 560 lb.-ft. (760 N•m) of torque from its new 8.4-liter (510 cubic inch) V-10 engine
• SRT performance: 0-60 mph in under 4 seconds, quarter-mile time in the low 12-second range, 0-100-0 mph in the low 12-second range and 60-0 mph braking in under 100 ft
• Dodge Viper SRT10 performance is improved from significantly more horsepower – an additional 90 horses from revisions to cylinder block and heads, intake and exhaust systems, Variable Valve Timing (VVT) and engine calibration
• Dodge Viper SRT10 continues the Viper tradition of setting the definition of extreme, while delivering performance enthusiasts a refined, yet outrageous and powerful American sports car
• Dodge Viper SRT10 features Viper's long-held back-to-basics sports car approach, including a traditional front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout wîth six-speed transmission; race-bred, fully independent four-wheel suspension; massive tires and wheels for maximum grip; and world-class brakes for benchmark stopping power
• Besides its increased horsepower and torque, the 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 features an all-new hood wîth functional air intake and extractors that contributes to its aggressive appearance
• Dodge Viper SRT10 is part of a broad lineup of Street and Racing Technology (SRT) vehicles developed under the credo: 'Race inspired, street legal'
• Offering SRT's signature 'bang for the buck,' the Dodge Viper SRT10 outperforms sports cars costing more than twice as much
Safety And Security
Please refer to the safety glossary in the Safety and Technology section for descriptions of the following available features:
Advanced Multistage Front Air Bags wîth Occupant Classification System (OCS)
Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)
Center High-mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL)
Constant Force Retractors (CFR)
Energy-absorbing Steering Column
Interior Head-impact Protection
Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)
Three-point Seat Belts wîth Pretensioners
Tire-pressure Monitoring (TPM)
• Viper Red
• Viper Black
• Viper GTS Blue
• Viper Bight Blue
• Viper Violet
• Viper Bright Orange
• Venom Red
• Snakeskin Green
• 2008 model year production start: July 2007
• Production location: Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit
• 8.4-liter V-10 engine: Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit
• 6-speed manual transmission: Tremec transmission plant, Queretaro, Mexico
Simply put, there is nothing else like the Dodge Viper SRT10. Offered in Roadster and Coupe versions, Dodge Viper SRT10 delivers serious, race-inspired performance without apology. With its dramatic styling, 600 horsepower (450 kW) and outrageous attitude, the Dodge Viper SRT10 is the ultimate American sports car and the essence of the Dodge brand's unwavering commitment to extreme performance.
• Gender: 96% male / 4% female
• Age: 45 median
• Household income: $173,000 median
• Education: 44% college degree
• Household: 62% married
• Occupation: Primarily executive/entrepreneurial
• Continues to set the definition of extreme performance in a powerful, yet refined American sports car
• Powered by a 8.4L, V-10 engine producing 600 horsepower (450 kW) and 560 lb.-ft. (760 N•m) of torque
• SRT performance: 0-60 mph in less than four seconds, 60-0 mph braking in less than 100 feet, and 0-100-0 mph in the low 12-second range
• Outrageous design in a low-slung shell, wîth lowered hood lines, large hood scoop, functional hood louvers, swept-back fenders and deep-cut side scallops
• Back-to-basics sports car approach: traditional front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout
• Race-bred, fully independent four-wheel suspension
• Massive tires and wheels
• World-class brakes
2006 MODEL YEAR
SRT10 Coupe introduced. Like the Roadster, the Coupe has:
• 8.3-liter 500-horsepower V-10 engine
• Signature crosshair grille design
• Deep-cut side scallops
• Swept-back fenders and lowered hood
Coupe distinguished by:
• 'Double-Bubble' roof
• Únique rear styling wîth wraparound taillamps
• New canopy and deck lid
• Deck-lid spoiler
• New windshield surround, door side glass, rear fascia and quarter panels
• Únique weatherstrip pieces, headliner, carpet and trim panels
Other new features:
• Two wheel options
• Polished forged aluminum five-spoke wheel
• H-spoke polished forged aluminum wheels
• Available SIRIÚS Satellite Radio
2005 MODEL YEAR
• New Viper Race Yellow body color
• New Copperhead Orange body color
• New Copperhead Orange interior package featuring black leather interior wîth contrasting stitching on seats and shift knob accents
2004 MODEL YEAR
• New Viper White body color
• Standard red brake calipers
• Standard folding tonneau cover
• New trunk carpet
2003 MODEL YEAR
• Introduction of the all-new SRT10 two-seat convertible wîth all-new 8.3-liter V-10—500-hp
(372 kW) engine
• Lower hood wîth larger grille opening and integrated louvers
• 2.6-inch longer wheelbase (than 2002 RT/10)
• High-intensity discharge headlamps
• New HVAC system for improved performance and air flow
• New windshield wiper blade design wîth low-profile flat (beam-style) blades
• 1.1-inch shorter overall length than 2002 RT/10
• Power adjustable clutch, throttle and brake pedals (4-inch total pedal travel)
• New driver foot rest (adjustable)
• Next-generation, multistage driver and front passenger air bags(a)
• New four-wheel disc Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)
• Exterior colors: Viper Red, Viper Black, Viper Bright Silver Metallic
2002 MODEL YEAR
• GTS Final Edition—Last 360 Viper Coupes red wîth white stripes, special badging
• Graphite Metallic (RT/10 and GTS) and Graphite Metallic wîth silver stripe (GTS only) color schemes
2001 MODEL YEAR
• Viper Race Yellow and Deep Sapphire Blue Pearl Coat exterior colors
• Optional Black center stripes wîth Viper Race
• Yellow on GTS
• Standard four-wheel disc Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)
2000 MODEL YEAR
• Viper Steel Gray exterior color
• Child seat tether anchorage
• Revised ACR (American Club Racer) Group—Performance oil pan, Dynamic Suspensions adjustable monotube shock absorbers and new nameplate
1999 MODEL YEAR
• 18-inch aluminum wheels wîth Viper logo center caps and Michelin Pilot Sport™ tires
• Cognac Connolly® leather interior group
• Black exterior color wîth or without silver stripe
• GTS ACR Group homologated for club racing
(spring 1999 introduction)
|All-New 2014 Kia Forte Sedan Puts Online Gamers' Skills To The Test In New Facebook Game|
|◾'Kia Forte Techathlete Games' available prizes1include Xbox Kinect®, Go-Pro® camera, Nike+ FuelBand and Beats™ by Dre headphones ◾Tech-savvy players use their computer webcam, mouse, keyboard, microphone and smartphone in a series of interactive games IRVINE, Calif., June 10, 2013 – The technology-laden 2014 Kia Forte sedan made quite an introduction earlier this year with futuristic robots in the 'Hotbots' commercial instructing people to 'Respect the Tech,' and now the Kia Motors m...[Read more...]|
|ALL-NEW 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE TO START AT $22,995|
|◾Jeep® raises the bar with legendary benchmark 4x4 capability, world-class on-road dynamics, fuel economy of more than 30 mpg, modern and progressive new design, world-class craftsmanship, and an array of advanced safety and technology features ◾All-new 2014 Jeep® Cherokee pricing starts at a U.S. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $22,995 ◾2014 Jeep Cherokee is priced less than outgoing Liberty model, but offers more advanced technology and safety features, significantly improved...[Read more...]|
|2014 Corvette Stingray Starts At $51,995|
|The 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray coupe will have a suggested starting retail price of $51,995, and the Corvette Stingray Convertible will start at $56,995. Both prices include a $995 destination fee but exclude tax, title, and license. 'The 2014 Corvette Stingray perfectly embodies Chevrolet's mission to deliver more than expected for our customers,' said Chris Perry, vice president, Chevrolet marketing. 'The Corvette Stingray delivers a combination of performance, design and technology t...[Read more...]|
|Kia Motors Announces Pricing For All-New 2014 Cadenza Premium Sedan|
|Kia's Flagship Sedan Offers Premium Amenities at a Starting Price of $35,1001 MSRP
• The most powerful and technologically advanced Kia in the U.S. market is defined by European-influenced styling and extraordinary levels of refinement and amenities
• Cadenza features class-leading interior room2 and is offered in one trim level with two available option packages
IRVINE, Calif., April 19, 2013 – Kia Motors America (KMA) is pleased to announce pricing for its most powerful and ...[Read more...]
|Powertrain Innovation Comes Standard on 2013 Regal|
|The 2013 Buick Regal luxury sport sedan arrives at dealerships this fall with a standard advanced eAssist powertrain and 36 highway mpg. Two powerful turbocharged four-cylinder engines give Regal one of the most technologically advanced engine ranges in the brand's history. 'With eAssist, Buick is redefining what a 'conventional powertrain' means to customers,' said eAssist global chief engineer Stephen Poulos. 'It changes the fuel economy – but not the experience – for the 97 percent of new...[Read more...]|
|Similarly Sized Vehicles from 2008|
|Alfa Romeo 8C Spider|
|Audi R8 GT3|
|Audi R8 Razor|
|Audi R8 V12 TDI Concept|
|Audi R8 V12 TDI LeMans|
|Other models by Dodge|
|Related Articles and Event Coverage|
|Glenmoor Gathering of Significant Automobiles|
|2008 North American International Auto Show|
|2009 Viper SRT10|