'The New Ninety Degree Cadillac' debuted in 1926 and the 1927 was a continuation of the series. Cadillac's sales literature used the catch phrase, 'Fifty body styles and types - Five hundred colors and upholstery combinations.' This fine example features the now standard nickel-plated radiator shell and 12-spoke wooden artillery wheels. It is particularly special to its present owner because his grandfather was its first owner, and it has remained in his family ever since.
This Series 314 Cadillac is one of 50,619 vehicles produced in 1926 and 1927. This 4,615-pound vehicle rides on a 138-inch wheelbase and is powered by a side-valve, 314.5-cubic-inch (5.15 liter) V8 engine developing 80 horsepower, coupled to a 3-speed manual transmission.
During 1926-1927, Cadillac models outsold 8-cylinder rivals from Lincoln, Packard, Peerless and Stutz combined. The powerful, reliable and quiet Cadillac engine was a major contributor to this accomplishment. First offered in 1915, the pioneering 314.5 cid (5.15L) V8 carried an 80 horsepower rating for 1927.
Buyers were also choosing Cadillac to partake of the unprecedented color and trim selections offered by the marque. When General Motors introduced fast-drying Dupont 'Duco' lacquer finishes in 1924, it opened the door to the automotive 'color revolution.' By 1927, Cadillac and its new LaSalle companion car were advertising the availability of 500 interior/exterior combinations.
This 1927 Cadillac is a 138-inch wheelbase model and carries a 7-passenger sedan body built by Fisher. It weighs about 6,000 lbs. The car appeared in the 1956 movie, 'The Eddy Duchin Story,' starring Tyrone Power and Kim Novak.
Over the past eight decades, the Cadillac has had but three owners. It was delivered new to a New York customer, who would carefully maintain it for three decades. The second owner obtained it in the late 1950s, bringing it to Michigan. A painstaking restoration was begun in the late 1980s. In 2007, third owner Mr. Rand acquired the Cadillac and has since refreshed the restoration, while carefully preserving the stately sedan's many authentic details.
The roaring twenties were well underway when Harley Earl created the art and color selection at General Motors. For 1927, Cadillac offered an incredible 50 body types and styles featuring 500 color and upholstery combinations. Taking advantage of this wide range of choices, Mr. F.J. Baumann of Binghampton, NY took delivery of his new Bambalina blue roadster on August 14, 1926. Special ordered were body-color fenders, chassis, radiator shell and lamps with white enamel hickory spoke wheels. This vehicle was dormant for 35 years and after nearly five years of restoration it has been brought back to its original glory.