Image credits: © Dodge.
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 news, pictures, and information
Chrysler LLC Introduces Entire 2009 Dodge Challenger Model Lineup at New York International Auto ShowThree Available Models — Dodge Challenger SRT8®, Dodge Challenger R/T and Dodge Challenger SE — wîth Pricing from the Low $20s
• 35 years later, Dodge redefines modern American muscle
• Re-creation of vintage American muscle car blends nostalgic flair wîth modern engineering and technology
• Five-passenger, two-door coupe produced from proven Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger platform
• First modern-day, HEMI®-powered car offered wîth precision-shift six-speed manual transmission
• New-generation 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 delivers increased fuel economy (an estimated 5 percent) wîth more horsepower (30 hp) and improved torque (8 lb.-ft.)
|Engine : 6.1 L., 8-cylinder|
Power: 425 hp
Torque: 420 ft-lbs
6-speed Manual, 5-speed Automatic
• SRT-exclusive 6.1-liter HEMI V-8 engine goes from zero to 60 mph in less than five seconds
• Best-in-class rear head (37.4 inches) and leg (32.6 inches) room provides spacious back seat for up to three adults
• Best-in-class trunk space (16.2 cu. ft.) equal to the Dodge Charger
• More than 25 safety and security features including supplemental side-curtain air bags, advanced multi-stage air bags, Electronic Stability Program (ESP) and anti-lock brakes
• Equipped wîth cutting-edge technology including MyGIG™ radio/navigation, ÚConnect® Hands-free Communication System, Keyless Go push-button start and Remote Start
• To ensure quality, Dodge Challenger engineers logged nearly 3.2 million customer-equivalent miles in development process
• All-new 2009 Dodge Challenger to arrive this fall
Today at the New York International Auto Show, Chrysler LLC unveiled its full 2009 Dodge Challenger model lineup. Pricing will start in the low $20's.
The all-new 2009 Dodge Challenger merges the best American muscle-car characteristics — unmistakable design, world-class handling, powerful engines and technology — to delight driving enthusiasts across several generations.
'Our all-new 2009 Dodge Challenger is a modern-day muscle machine representing the best from the past and present,' said Mike Accavitti, Director – Dodge Brand and SRT Global Marketing, Chrysler LLC. 'Thirty-five years following the debut of the original, we are bringing Dodge Challenger back and loading it wîth essential hardware, styling and technology desired by today's buyer.'
The Dodge Challenger is the first five-passenger, two-door coupe produced from Chrysler's proven rear-wheel-drive platform that delivers the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger. Developed wîth Dodge's credo of 'bold, powerful and capable,' the Challenger delivers a modern two-door muscle car.
Three models will be offered in North America: Dodge Challenger SRT8®, Dodge Challenger R/T and Dodge Challenger SE.
The Dodge Challenger R/T features the new-generation 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 engine wîth a five-speed automatic transmission that produces an estimated 370 horsepower (276 kW) and 398 lb.-ft. of torque (540 N•m). For 2009, the HEMI engine is upgraded to get an estimated five percent improvement in fuel economy as well as an increase of 30 horsepower (9 percent) and 8 lb.-ft. improved torque (2 percent) over a greater range of engine speeds. The automatic transmission features fuel-saving multi-displacement (MDS) technology which increases fuel economy by as much as 20 percent depending on driving conditions without sacrificing vehicle performance. The Dodge Challenger R/T also offers a precision-shift six-speed manual transmission — the first for a new-generation HEMI-powered car — that produces 375 horsepower (280 kW) and 404 lb.-ft. of torque (548 N•m) when running on premium fuel. (concept carz) The Dodge Challenger R/T can go from zero to 60 mph in less than six seconds.
The 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 features an SRT-exclusive 6.1-liter HEMI V-8 engine mated wîth a new-for-2009 six-speed manual transmission or a five-speed automatic transmission wîth Auto Stick that generates a blistering 425 horsepower (317 kW) and 420 lb.-ft. of torque (569 N•m). The vehicle can go from zero to 60 mph in less than five seconds.
The Dodge Challenger SE powered by the 3.5-liter High Output V-6 wîth a four-speed automatic transmission produces 250 horsepower (186 kW) and 250 lb.-ft. of torque (339 N•m).
Patterned off the Dodge Charger architecture, the front suspension and five-link independent rear suspension system on all Dodge Challenger models provide excellent ride and handling characteristics.
The Dodge Challenger design team stayed true to the concept revealed at the 2006 North American International Auto Show, while drawing upon elements from the original Challenger. The result: a bold, aggressive muscle machine that blends nostalgia wîth modern Dodge style.
'Our designers wanted to capture the mind's-eye view of what people today remember about the Dodge Challenger from 35 years ago,' said Trevor Creed, Senior Vice President – Design, Chrysler LLC. 'Their challenge was to excite today's customer by capturing the emotion of the original Challenger, while offering today's comfort and performance.'
On the exterior, the long, raised performance hood wîth scoops and recessed grille wîth round dual headlamps are reminiscent of the original Dodge Challenger. The bold A-line, or character line, that runs from stem to stern gives the all-new 2009 Dodge Challenger an instantly recognizable muscle-car profile. Retro dual rectangular exhaust outlets complete the look from the rear.
On the interior, the trapezoidal theme of the door-panel cove and gauge cluster, dark headliner and slanted shifter console are inspired by the original Dodge Challenger. The modern interpretation of the Dodge Challenger offers exceptional rear seating for a two-door coupe, achieving best-in-class rear head (37.4 inches) and leg (32.6 inches) room compared to the competition. Coupled wîth best-in-class cargo space (16.2 cu. ft.) — equal to the Dodge Charger — the all-new 2009 Dodge Challenger offers added comfort and functionality.
The all-new 2009 Dodge Challenger offers customers a full range of innovative technologies including:
• MyGIG™ provides a cutting-edge multimedia audio and entertainment system, wîth built-in navigation
• ÚConnect® Hands-free Communication System provides convenient, voice-activated communication wîth Bluetooth® cellular phones
• SIRIÚS® Digital Satellite Radio offers a variety of commercial-free radio programs and music
• Keyless Go allows the driver to start the vehicle wîth the simple push of a button
• Remote Start starts a secured vehicle wîth the key fob
• More than 25 Safety and Security Features
Dodge Challenger offers more than 25 safety and security features including:
• Supplemental Side-curtain Air Bags extend protection to all outboard front- and rear-seat passengers
• Anti-lock Brakes (ABS) modulate the brakes for the driver to provide §teering control while braking
• Electronic Stability Program (ESP) applies selective braking or throttle reduction to control oversteer and understeer
• Brake Assist ensures maximum braking action during panic stops
• Traction Control reduces the throttle and/or applies selective braking to optimize traction during acceleration
• Hill Start Assist (HSA) for Manual Transmission application assists the driver in launching the vehicle on an incline
• Automatic Headlamps turn headlamps on at dusk and off in the daylight without driver intervention
• Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) alerts driver about low tire pressure(s) in order to facilitate safe handling
2009 Dodge Challenger Production
The all-new 2009 Dodge Challenger will be built at the Brampton Assembly plant in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. It will be built on the same assembly line as the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger.
With a Ú.S. market share of 6.4 percent, Dodge is Chrysler LLC's best-selling brand and the fifth largest nameplate in the Ú.S. automotive market. In 2007, Dodge sold more than 1.3 million vehicles in the global market.
The Dodge brand's first crossover vehicle — the all-new 2009 Dodge Journey — is available in the first quarter of 2008 and will be available outside North America in both left- and right-hand drive in mid-2008. Arriving this spring is the limited-edition 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 wîth a 6.1-liter HEMI V-8 engine that boasts 425 horsepower and 420 lb.-ft. of torque. The all-new 2009 Dodge Ram wîth game-changing exterior and interior design, innovations, best-in-class features and craftsmanship will arrive this fall. Also arriving this fall is the 2009 Dodge Durango Hybrid. Recently, the all-new 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan arrived in dealerships wîth 35 new or improved features including the newest innovation, the Swivel 'n Go™ seating system. In 2007, Dodge Avenger and Nitro entered key volume §egmènts outside North America, joining the Dodge Caliber, which launched in those markets in 2006.Source - Dodge
|Ford Adding 2,000-Plus Jobs at Kansas City Assembly to Support Surging F-150 Demand, Ford Transit Launch|
|•Ford's Kansas City Assembly Plant will add more than 2,000 jobs to support high demand for Ford F-150 plus the planned production of the all-new Transit family of commercial vehicles starting next summer; more than 1,000 will be new hires •Ford F-Series sales up 24 percent in April and 19 percent year to date; full-size truck segment growing three times faster than industry average and is fastest-growing segment this year •Ford has reached 75 percent of its goal to create 12,000 hourly jobs ...[Read more...]|
|Mazda Cx-5 Named 'Top Family Choice Vehicle' By Greater Atlanta Automotive Media Association|
|WASHINGTON, April 29, 2013 -- The Greater Atlanta Automotive Media Association (GAAMA) yesterday named the 2013 Mazda CX-5 its 'Top Family Choice Vehicle' and the all-new 2014 Mazda6 'Best Green Family Choice Vehicle' at its first annual Family Choice Challenge. GAAMA President Nick Palermo said, 'The CX-5 was the clear winner for the overall 'Top Family Choice Vehicle' award. It's stylish, affordable, has comfortable seating and great fuel economy and is fun to drive.' The 2013 CX-...[Read more...]|
|2013 RAM 1500 LARAMIE LONGHORN NAMED TO WARD'S 10 BEST INTERIORS LIST FOR 2013|
|• For 2013, the Ram 1500's award-winning interior includes material upgrades, all-new interior themes with invigorating colors that speak to the lifestyle of the Ram Truck brand|
• All-new HVAC controls and new multimedia systems enhance the driver experience
• The 2013 Ram 1500 also features an exclusive eight-speed transmission activated with a breakthrough e-shift rotary dial
April 15, 2013 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn has been named one ...[Read more...]
|2014 MAZDA6 NAMED TO WARD'S ‘10 BEST INTERIORS' LIST|
|The all-new 2014 Mazda6 today was named to WardsAuto World's 10 Best Interiors list, as chosen by the publication's editors. The redesigned mid-size sports sedan features Mazda's new design language called KODO 'Soul of Motion,' which translates muscular movement and power into agile proportions, detailed sculpting and expressive character. The Mazda6 also was recently named one of the top three vehicle designs in the world for 2013 by the World Car Awards. 'The automotive industry, regardl...[Read more...]|
|2013 Ram 1500: North American Truck/ Utility of the Year|
|The new Ram 1500 has been named 2013 North American Truck/Utility of the Year by a panel of automotive experts. The award is unique and considered by many to be one of the world's most prestigious based on its diverse mix of 49 automotive journalists from the U.S. and Canada who serve as the voting jurors. The winners were announced at a news conference today at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. 'For the Ram Truck Brand, this ranks as one of the proudest days in our hi...[Read more...]|
|Similarly Sized Vehicles from 2009|
|Acura ZDX Concept|
|Aston Martin LeMans LMP1|
|Audi AS5 Cabrio|
|Audi R15 TDI|
|Audi R8 LMS|
|Other models by Dodge|
|Related Articles and Event Coverage|
|2008 New York International Auto Show|
© 1998-2012. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.