Chassis Num: V169
Engine Num: 192/6C
Sold for $96,941 (£51,000) at 2006 Bonhams
Sold for $128,000 at 2008 Bonhams
Sold for $53,958 (£33,000) at 2009 RM Sothebys
This remarkable car was delivered new in March of 1905 to Dr. Davidson, of Bournemouth, England, for use in his medical practice. The car remained in use until 1917, during which time it had six registered owners. The car was then laid up until 1934, when veteran pioneer car enthusiast R.G.J. Nash discovered it in a coal dump in Devon and rescued it for preservation. The car has been a regular participant in the famed 'London to Brighton Run,' and is equipped with brass Lucas King of the Road paraffin oil lamps, double-twist bulb horn, and rear view mirror. The car is conventional and easy to drive, with a three-speed transmission and chain drive to the rear axle.
In 1939, the car took part in a race for veteran cars at Brooklans circuit. This 6hp Two Seater is believed to have finished, but did not distinguish itself.
In modern times, it has been driven on several long distance drives including the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run. It is currently painted in navy blue livery with fine yellow coachlinging. It is equipped with brass Lucas King of the Road paraffin oil lamps, double-twist bulb horn and rear view mirrors. It has black leather upholstery.
In 2008, this 1904 Siddeley was brought to the 'Quail Lodge, A Sale of Exceptional Motorcars and Automobilia' presented by Bonhams Auction. It was sold for $128,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.
In 1919 the British based Armstrong Siddeley was formed and founded by John Davenport Siddeley. Siddeley had a history in the automotive business that dates back to the early 1890s. He was a bicycle racer and designer who was hired by the Humber Cycle Company to help in their efforts. A year later he was employed by Dunlop. By 1902 he had formed the Siddeley Autocar Company which imported Peugeots from France. It was later purchased by Wolseley of Coventry. Siddeley worked with the Wolseley company until resigning in 1909 to manage the Deasy Motor Company. The company later became the Siddeley-Deasy Company, growing in size and employing thousands of workers. After World War I the company merged with Armstrong-Whitworth and became known as Armstrong Siddeley. Siddeley remained with the company until 1935 and the company was in business until 1960.
By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2008