Sold for $170,500 at 2007 Gooding & Company. Sold for $200,750 at 2010 Gooding & Company. For 1938 Packard introduced their new modern designs including enclosed coachwork. There were hydraulic brakes and an independent front suspension making these some of the more refined and sophisticated cars on the market. The V12 engine rested at a 67-degree angle, displaced 473 cubic-inches, and provided a hefty 175 horsepower.
Packard refined their catalogue offerings with a new line of factory bodies, such as the 1607 Coupe Roadster. It had enclosed dual side mounts and a sporty two-seat design resting on a short 134.3 inch wheelbase. It retained many of the classic lines and elements of the prior Packard's, but brought the designs to a new level of modernization.
One of the more distinctive features of the 1938 Packard was their bold, wide-framed windshields. The early 1930s had seen a slew of thin, chrome windshield frames, but the 1938 designs broke away from that tradition with their body-color designs.
This example was sold new to the Schlitz family of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The car would remain in the family until 1977 when it was sold for the first time. Tom Crook of Seattle became the cars next care-taker. He kept it for a year before selling to William Vaccaro in Bedminster, New Jersey. 23 years later, Vaccaro sold it back to Tom Cook. In 2004, Otis Chandler acquired the car.
Over the years the car has had minor paint touch-ups and a little engine compartment cleaning. It remains a highly-original example that has an odometer reading of 74,869 miles. In November of 1988 it had 68,522 miles and was the last year it was titled.
In 2007 it was brought to the Gooding & Company auction held in Pebble Beach, Ca where it was estimated to sell for $200,000 - $275,000. Those estimates were not achieved, but the lot was still sold. Including buyer's premium, the lot was sold for $170,500.
In 2010, this Packard 1607 was offered for sale at Gooding & Company Auction held in Amelia Island, Florida. The car was estimated to sell for $200,000 - $275,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $200,750, inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2010
The Packard Twelve set the standard for refinement, class and distinction. This example is a 59,000 mile original Classic that was only repainted in 1995 in its original color of Chinese Red. It has had only four owners since new. Among the unusual features of this car are dash, bumper supports and hubcap trim stripes painted in body color.
The Twelve was available in two wheelbases and fourteen body styles. This body style was the most expensive of the 1607 series at $5320. A total of 566 Packard Twelves were produced in 1938.
This Packard Twelve Convertible Victoria is powered by a 175 horsepower V-12 engine. The wheelbase measures 134.5 inches, and the car weighs 5345 pounds. By Daniel Vaughan | Jul 2010
While you could still order a Packard with custom coachwork, the Raymond Dietrich designed Convertible Victoria was the most expensive in-house production model offered.
The Victoria body was supplied to Packard by Murray Company. Due to the Depression, Murray Co. downsized its Dietrich Inc. subsidiary in 1931 and Raymond Dietrich left the firm. Murray continued to use his designs and the Deitrich name badge through 1938.
This V12 Victoria is one of only eleven produced in 1938, a year when Packard only manufactured 566 V-12 models. This model was the most expensive of the V12 models riding on a 134-inch wheelbase and sold new for $5,230. The vehicle weighs 5,345 pounds.
It is powered by the 12-cylinder L-head engine producing 175 horsepower coupled to a three-speed manual transmission. It is also equipped with four-wheel power assisted brakes. The car is fitted with side mounted spare tires, deluxe steering wheel, radio and heater. This car has been restored and had recent top and service with new tires and cooling system.
Sold for $143,000 at 2012 RM Auctions. The 1938 Packard Twelve was powered by an engine with a modified L configuration with valve stems almost horizontal and operated by a camshaft deep in the engine's head through roller rockers on hydraulically adjusted eccentrics. The result was an engine that was almost completely silent. In 1935 aluminum heads and a longer stroke boosted the engine displacement to 473 cubic inches and the horsepower to 175.
This Packard was sold new by Packard of Manhattan in New York City. It has been treated to a restoration which earned it a Classic Car of America Senior First place Trophy number 1609. The car is finished in black paint with red leather interior, banjo steering wheel and grey dash that was only used for the 1938 model year. The black canvas top has red piping, and the car carries twin side-mounts with mirrors, twin spotlights and a rear trunk rack.
In 2012, this car was offered for sale at the Amelia Island auction presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $175,000 - $225,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for $143,000 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2012
The Twelve was introduced as Packard's entry to the super-luxury car market, and produced from 1933 to 1939. In 1938 they introduced their new modern designs including enclosed coachwork and many body changes, such as smoother, more rounded fenders and split windshields on many models. This example is a 1938 Packard Twelve 1607 Formal Sedan.
Only 556 Packard Twelves were produced in 1938. Of the formal sedan bodies produced, only a handful have survived. This example sports a divider window, rear rapid controls, vanities, a secretary fold-out seat, and an oval rear opera window.
The 473 cubic-inch L-head V12 engine produced around 175 horsepower, and each new Twelve produced underwent a 250-mile road test at Packard's Utica, Michigan test track before delivery. The large engines were decreasing in popularity in a still-uncertain economy, however, so the Twelve was discontinued in 1939.
Powerful, elegant, and rare, the Packard Twelve is a highly admired Classic.
The 1938 Packard Model 1607 Twelve Convertible Coupe represents the perfect marriage of timeless elegance and technological innovation. The Twelve was offered in two models: the 1607 on a 134-inch wheelbase and the 1608 on a 139-inch wheelbase. For the Twelve's penultimate year of production, Packard modernized the styling, adding pontoon-style wings and a split-V windscreen. This new enclosed coachwork was combined with hydraulic brakes, independent front suspension and Packard's iconic 473-cubic-inch L-Head V12 engine producing 175 horsepower. The Twelve convertible coupe proved to be an elegant, spirited, and refined automobile for the lucky few who could afford the $4,370 price tag to obtain one during the Great Depression. By 1938, production of the Twelve had dwindled to just 556 cars.
The short wheelbase, V12-engined Packard Twelve Club Sedan was intended for the motoring enthusiast and is exceptionally rare. Only 27 were built by Packard in 1938 and fewer than a handful still exist. The Club Sedan is distinguished by the V-shaped split-windscreen with central chromed moulding.
This 1938 Packard Twelve Club Sedan was exported new to France to the family of writer Maurice Maeterlinck, the 1911 winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature. Although Maeterlinck died in 1949, the Packard remained with his family for another four decades. The car recently returned to the United States and is in excellent condition, having been driven only 65,000 miles. The interior is complete, the dashboard instruments work, the original woodwork is intact, and the original blue paint shows a lovely patina.
The Packard Twelve was produced from 1933 to 1939 with over 35,000 examples produced. It is considered by many to be one of the finest automobiles produced by Packard and one of the most significant creations of the classic car era. The long and flowing front hood hid a 445 cubic-inch side-valve twelve cylinder engine that was refined, powerful, smooth, and quiet.
The engine was originally destined for a front wheel drive project which eventually proved to have weaknesses. That and the anticipated development cost were too much to be practical so Packard decided to scrap the idea. Cadillac had introduced their 16-cylinder engine and other marques such as Pierce-Arrow were improving the performance of their offerings. Packard was feeling the pressure and decided to place the engine into the Deluxe Eight Chassis and dubbed it the Twin Six. The name was in honor of Packard's achievement fifteen years earlier when the introduced their first 12-cylinder engine. By 1933 the name was changed to Twelve to be inline with the rest of the Packard models.
Most of the Packard production Twelve's received factory bodies. Only a handful received custom coachwork by such greats as LeBaron and Dietrich.
In 1935 Packard introduced more horsepower and mechanical improvements. The suspension became more plush and comfortable while the steering became easier to operate. The cars were designed and built as one unit including the fenders, running boards, hood and body.
1936 the final year for 17 inch wire wheels and the double blade bumpers with hydraulic dampers. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2008
When these two vehicles won Best of Show honors at major Concours dElegance events, they both were owned by Judge Joseph Cassini III. The green colored Chrysler 4 door Phaeton with tan convertible top...