1962 Aston Martin DB4 news, pictures, specifications, and information
Coupe
Chassis Num: 0153/L GT
Engine Num: 0152 GT
Sold for $880,000 at 2007 Gooding & Company.
When Aston Martin introduced their DB2 in 1950, it was clear that the clean, modern body with its 2.6-liter engine was destined for greatness. The DB3 racer that followed was very fast but its Achilles heal was its poor reliability. It successor, the DB3S, improved upon its siblings shortcomings, but it was the DBR1 of 1959 that would capture the World Championship for Makes for the Aston Martin marque. 1959 was the same year the new series of road cars was introduced, the DB4. It wore styling courtesy of Italy's Carrozzeria Touring and built with their 'superleggera', meaning super-light construction, techniques. It was a grand touring car with a newly developed twin-cam engine that offered an impressive 236 horsepower.

The ultimate version of the DB4 was the limited-production GT version. It was built atop a shortened wheelbase of light-gauge alloy panels and fitted with a more powerful version of the dual overhead cam six-cylinder engine. With triple Weber carburetors, dual ignition system, and a higher compression ratio, the GT version had 68 more horsepower than the standard DB4 engine. They were fitted with a limited-slip differential to help get that power to the road. Additional modifications were made throughout the vehicle, including the interior, which were given light-weight seats built from alloy tubular frames. One of the most distinguishable features between the GT series and the standard DB4's were the covered headlights.

This car is a DB4GT and has chassis number 0153/L GT. It is a left-hand drive car meaning it was designed specifically for the US. This was the New York Auto Show display car in 1961. It is painted in silver with a black leather interior and retains its original engine and rides on correct Michelin X tires. Part of its life was spent in the care of a single owner for 35 years.

In 2007 this car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Pebble Beach, CA where it was estimated to sell for $900,000-$1,100,000. Those estimates proved nearly accurate as the lot was sold for $880,000 including buyer's premium.
By Daniel Vaughan | May 2008
Convertible Coupe
Chassis Num: DB4C/1064/R
Engine Num: 370/1016/SS
Of the entire production of 1,213 Aston Martin DB4's, only 70 were convertibles, 32 of these were 'Vantage' models fitted with Special Series engines. The Special series engines carry triple SU carburetors and 9 to 1 compression ratio, developing 266 horsepower. The vantage package included, in addition to the upgraded engine, oil cooler and DB4GT instrument cluster with oil temperature and pressure gauges. Originally sold to a buyer in England, chassis $1064 was right hand drive until it was imported to the United States in 1984 and converted to left hand drive. This is a matching number car, with documented ownership since new.
Fastback Coupe
Coachwork: Touring
Chassis Num: B4/910/R
Development work began on an all-new Aston Martin in 1956, running concurrently with the DB2-derived DB Mark III, which was produced in 1959. The new car was dubbed the DB4 and introduced at the Paris Motor Show during the autumn of 1958. With 'Superleggera' construction and styling by Touring of Milan, it was immediately popular. Mounted up-front was an all-new engine designed by Tadek Marek, the Polish-born engineer who became synonymous with Aston Martin engine design and engineering. The chassis was designed by Harold Beach and was more rigid than its predecessors, using a new pressed-steel platform frame. At all four corners were Dunlop disc brakes (later replaced with Girling discs).

The dual overhead camshft engine displaced 3670cc and was constructed from aluminum. It offered 240 bhp in standard tune with its dual SU carburetors. 0-100-0 mph was achieved in less than 30 seconds.

Although the factory did not distinguish between the various versions of the DB4, today there are generally categorized in five series. The Series II had a switch to front-hinged bonnet, as the car's high-speed capabilities had the Series I (on occasion) to catch the wind with predictable results. Other improvements included a two-pint increase in oil capacity to address high-speed overheating and enlarged brake calipers. Series III brought separate tail lamps on a polished aluminum plate, dual bonnet stays, an electric tachometer and other interior improvements. Series IV cars introduced the highly desirable overdrive unit availability, rendering the four-speed gearbox truly expressway capable for the first time. They also had a revised grille with seven fine vertical elements, a lower-profile hood scoop and a recessed tail lamp mounting. Both of these improvements were carries over to the succeeding DB5 models.

This Aston Martin DB4 Coupe is a late-production example. It is a matching-numbers example with right-hand drive. It has overdrive and is finished in its original color combination of Black Pearl with Terra Cotta leather upholstery and tan carpeting. It was delivered new via Brooklands on February 15th of 1962 to Royal Navy Commander Simon Borrett of Norfolk. Years later, the car was exported to the United States and has remained in single-family ownership in Southampton, New York since the 1970s.

In the 1990s, the car was restored, which included an engine and gearbox rebuilding plus the addition of an oil cooler. The car has traveled 20,000 miles since the restoration.

In 2012, this vehicle was offered for sale at RM Auction's sale in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was estimated to sell for $250,000-$300,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $363,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.
By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2012
Fastback Coupe
Coachwork: Touring
Chassis Num: DB4/589/L
Engine Num: 370/565
Sold for $407,000 at 2010 Gooding & Company.
This Touring bodied Series II fastback was completed at the Newport Pagnell factory on March 24, 1961. Three days later it was sent to Charles Hornburg's Sunset Boulevard dealership. At the time, the car finished in black with a fawn interior and fitted with chrome wire wheels, Dunlop whitewall tires and a Motorola 6060 radio.

The original owner of this car was Mr. G. Alpoginjes. It later was sold to Bill Lynch before it was acquired by its current owner in the early 2000s. The car has spent its entire life in California.

In 2000, the car was given a comprehensive nut-and-bolt restoration.

In 2010, this DB4 was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was estimated to sell for $300,000 - $400,000. As bidding came to a close, the lot had been sold for the sum of $407,000, including buyer's premium.
By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2010
Fastback Coupe
Coachwork: Touring
Chassis Num: 778
This Aston Martin DB4 Mark IV is chassis number 778. It was the Los Angeles Auto Show display car and equipped by the factory with several rare options including the most powerful Vantage engine, four-speed overdrive gearbox, special series DB4 GT gauge package, covered headlights and DB4 GT Borrani wire wheels. It was originally sold to Satori Motors in September 1961. Aston Martin re-purchased the car in June of 1963 and the car was on the roads of Southern California until the late 1990s when it was parked and stored. Under the current ownership, the car has recently undergone a four-year restoration.
Fastback Coupe
Coachwork: Touring
Chassis Num: DB4/870/R
Engine Num: 370/879
Sold for $423,500 at 2014 RM Auctions.
The 1962 Aston Martin DB4 finished in maroon paintwork with ivory leather interior was offered for sale at the 2006 RM Auction in Monterey CA where it was estimated to sell between $175,000-$225,000. It is powered by a 3670-cc six-cylinder engine which is matted to a four-speed manual gearbox with overdrive. The coachwork is courtesy of Touring.

It is the recipient of an older restoration. At auction the vehicle found a new owner, though the price was below the estimated value. Since there was no reserve on the vehicle, the vehicle was sold for $130,000.

The 1962 Aston Martin DB4 finished in maroon paintwork with ivory leather interior was offered for sale at the 2006 RM Auction in Monterey CA where it was estimated to sell between $175,000-$225,000. It is powered by a 3670-cc six-cylinder engine which is matted to a four-speed manual gearbox with overdrive. The coachwork is courtesy of Touring.

It is the recipient of an older restoration. At auction the vehicle found a new owner, though the price was below the estimated value. Since there was no reserve on the vehicle, the vehicle was sold for $130,000.

This car is a Series IV DB4 that was delivered new to Mary Handley-Page, of Chesterfield Gardens, London, in January 1962. It left the factory as a right-hand-drive model finished in Show Shadow Grey over a white gold interior. It was equipped with optional extras including overdrive, Marchal head lamps and fog lamps, twin SU-type HD8 carburetors, and Amstrong shock absorbers.

It is not clear how long Mary Handley-Page owned her Aston Martin, she did put almost 14,000 miles on the odometer during her first 18 months of ownership. By 1978, the car was in the care of a Mr. T. Perry, of Essex, and then it was purchased by a Brian Hatson. It is believed that Hatson undertook a full concours-level restoration to the car to its current red over tan, left-hand-drive configuration in the early 1980s. The work was completed in 1981, after which it was shown at a variety of concours events with the Aston Martin Owners Club in 1981 and 1982, where it received numerous accolades.

The next owner, Robert Murray MacGregor of London, purchased the car on June 14, 1984, who also continued to show the car at AMOC concours events in the U.K. It continued to win awards until 1987. The last private owner in the U.K. was John Anthony Smith, of Wareham, who purchased the car on April 13, 1989.

Bob Pond purchased this DB4 from Taylor & Crawley Ltd., of London, in November 1990 for $85,000, and he immediately shipped it stateside.
By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2014
Chassis Num: DB4/559/L
This Aston Martin DB4, chassis number DB4/559/L, is one of two known replica DB214s based on DB4 and DB5GT chassis. It was built for Martin Brewer of Runnymede Motor Company and used DB4/559/L as the basis. The work was completed in 2005 and given the registration number 'DSL 449', but has since been re-registered as '5 BVY' - in similar fashion to the surviving, original car: '5 NBP.' This car has raced at the Le Mans Legends race on June 16th of 2007 and at the 2011 Monterey Historics.
By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2012
Fastback Coupe
Coachwork: Touring
Chassis Num: DB4/794/L
Engine Num: 370/841
High bid of $572,000 at 2012 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
The Aston Martin DB4 was a totally new car that was unveiled at the 1958 Paris Salon. It had a new and robust steel platform chassis engineered by Harold Beech, who had taken over as Aston Martin chief designer from Robert Eberan von Eberhorst. It was given an independent front suspension and a liver rear axle well-located by trailing arms and a Watt's linkage. Four-wheel disc brakes, plus rack-and-pinion steering, were specified for the first time. Under the bonnet was an innovative, alloy twin-cam 3.7 liter straight six-engine, created by Tadek Marek and based upon the DBR2 racing motor. It was fitted with twin SU carburetors and offered 240 horsepower.

This example is a fourth series example that was equipped from new with the desirable overdrive feature. It is an original California, factory left-hand drive car that was purchased by the current owner in Oregon, in a disassembled state, though remarkably complete. The former long term owner had ambitious plans for a restoration, however the project proved to be too complex.

The car is finished in Rolls-Royce Deep Claret with Aston Martin Terra Cotta upholstery, and given a set of complementary beige Wilton wool carpets that are piped in Terra Cotta. It is fitted with a correct jack, hammer, owner's handbook, and a reproduction factory tool roll.

In 2012, this car was offered for sale at RM Auctions Monterey, California sale. It was estimated to sell for $475,000 - $550,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car was sold for the sum of $572,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.
By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2012
Convertible Coupe
Chassis Num: DB4C/1175/L
Engine Num: 370/1178
Last left hand drive convertible made. The Series DB4 was the last refinement of the model. With a lengthened chassis of 3.5 inches, this added the needed leg and head room to the car. The dash panel had a full array of GT gauges. This car is fitted with a standard 3670cc engine with 2 carburetors. Some extra features on this car are chrome wire wheels, Motorola radio and power aerial. This car is one of forty series five convertibles and the LAST left hand drive convertible made.
Fastback Coupe
Coachwork: Touring
The DB4 with its Superleggera (tube framed) body designed by Carrozzeria Touring of Italy, and an all-new 3.7 liter, six-cylinder twin overhead cam engine, rushed in a new modern era for Aston Martin. With servo-assisted disc brakes, independent front suspension, live rear axle and a custom built four-speed transmission, it was the first production car capable of going from 0-100 mph in less than 30 seconds. Production of the DB4 took place in Aston Martin's new Newport Pagnell works in Buckinghamshire, England.

This vehicle was purchased new in Arizona in March of 1962. Having only seen three registered owners, the car was purchased by the current owner in 2002. After many years of enjoyable driving the vehicle was recently restored to its original driving splendor.
Fastback Coupe
Coachwork: Zagato
Chassis Num: DB4GT/0186/R
Sold for $14,300,000 at 2015 RM Auctions.
Aston Martin unveiled the first Zagato-bodied DB4GT at the 1960 London Motor Show, and over a period of two years 19 examples were built by Zagato in Italy. Built to compete in the World Sports Car Championship, several of these Zagato-bodied coupes competed in international races between 1960 and 1962.

This car, the 14th to be built, was the only one delivered to Australia, where it had a short but successful racing career in 1962. Its first owner, Laurie O'Neill, shared the driving there with Doug Whiteford and Ian Georghegan, and the trio scored many class and overall wins down under. After O'Neill sold the car, it remained in Australia for the next 30 years but was rarely seen. The current owner recently acquired the car from Peter Read, who restored it in 2002.
Aston Martin unveiled their DB4 at the 1958 Paris Salon. This was a big achievement for the small British manufacturer as it was a totally new car on a completely new steel platform chassis and disc brakes on all four corners. It was powered by an alloy twin-cam 3.7-liter straight six engine and bodied by Touring of Milan in an elegant fastback aluminum body. This combination was performance oriented with all the necessary criteria such as potent engine, lightweight body, excellent stopping power provided by the disc brakes, and finished in an attractive and elegant fastback configuration. It was state-of-the-art at the time, a modern masterpiece of British engineering and Italian styling.

Harold Beech was involved with the engineering of the chassis, including the fitting of an independent front suspension and a live rear axle located by trailing arms and a Watt's linkage. The coachwork was constructed by Aston Martin under license from Touring

At the September 1959 London Motor Show, Aston Martin introduced their competition variant dubbed the DB4 GT. It was based on the race-winning prototype SP199/1. In the very capable hands of Sterling Moss, the GT prototype had won its first outing in May 1959 at Silverstone.

The Aston Martin DB4 GT sat on a shortened wheelbase, made lighter, and given a more powerful engine. The engine was given a higher compression ratio, twin plug cylinder heads, and triple dual-throat Weber 45 DCOE carburetors. Weight was reduced by 91 kg overall, partly by reducing the wheelbase by around 5 inches. The Standard DB4 produced 240 horsepower while the DB4GT produced 302 BHP making it the most powerful British car of its era. Top speed was achieved at just over 150 mph and zero-to-sixty took a mere 6.1 seconds.

The DB4 and DB4GT were visually distinguishable by the faired in headlamps, a feature that was later made standard on the DB5. The DB4 GT had a quick-release 'Monza' fuel fillers on each of the rear wings, bumper overrider deletes, and frameless roll-down windows within the doors. The interior of the DB4 GT was rather luxurious with Connolly hides and Wilton wool carpeting. An oil temperature gauge was added to the array of instrumentation, along with an 8000 RPM tachometer.

The Ferrari SWB 250 Berlinetta was a very dominate and competitive car in FIA racing, but the DB4 GTs were able to mount a strong challenge in 1959 by both the Works team and Jon Ogier's Essex Racing stable. Individuals usually found behind the wheel included Stirling Moss, Jim Clark, Roy Salvadori and Innes Ireland.

Production of the Aston Martin DB4 GT lasted from 1959 through 1963 with a total of 75 examples produced, plus an additional 19 created by Zagato in various configuration. 45 of the 75 were right hand drive with the other 30 having left hand drive. Six of the 75 are known to have full Factory lightweight construction details. These six are further divided into two additional categories. The first group consisting of four examples were originally ordered as 'Build Sheet GTs' meaning they were ordered with this lightweight specification. Two were Right Hand Drive and the other two were Left Hand Drive. The other lightweight group is referred to as 'BESPOKE' or Service Department created GTs. Meaning they were modified to the lightweight specification after the factory had performed the original build.

Thus, most of the DB4 GTs created were suitable for competition or Grand Touring, for road or track.
By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2007
The Aston Martin DB4 was first introduced to the public at the 1958 Paris Salon and powered by a 3.7-liter straight eight and clothed in an aluminum body. Touring of Milan was tasked with creating the design. The Aston Martin DB4 GT was introduced a year later at the London Motor Show and was based on the race winning prototype SP199/1. 1959 was a great year for Aston martin as they had won the World Sportscar Championship title. The GT prototype inaugural race was in May of 1959 at Silverstone where it finished in first place at the hands of Stirling Moss.

The Aston Martin DB4 GT was lighter, shorter, and more powerful than the base DB4. In an effort to reduce the weight of the vehicle the bodywork was made thinner using 18 gauge alloy. The wheelbase was reduced by 13cm which made the rear seats obsolete. In total, 200 pounds had been shed. Under the graceful hood was the six-cylinder engine modified with twin plug cylinder heads and triple dual-throat Weber 45 DCOE carburetors. Horsepower was raised to over 300, bettering the standard DB4 engine by 60 horsepower, and making it the most powerful British sports car of its era.

Most of the DB4 GT's had Plexiglas rear screen and quarter windows. Disc brakes could be found on all four corners, as could the alloy Boranni wire wheels. The roll-down windows were frameless within the doors. A high-capacity fuel tank could be found in the rear. Quick-release 'Monza' fuel fillers were placed atop of the rear wings. All of this equated to a car that had a top speed over 150 mph and could race from zero-to-sixty in just over 6 seconds. Visually, in comparison to the DB4, the GT has cowled headlights and a very prominent hood scoop.

The interior of the cars were race inspired but still filled with luxurious amenities.

The DB4 GT was produced from 1959 through 1963 with only 75 examples being produced plus another 19 examples bodied by Zagato. 45 were right-hand drive and 30 were left hand drive. The Zagato bodied cars were necessary to keep pace with Ferrari's 250 GT machines. Zagato was legendary in the world or automotive weight reduction and their skills were in high demand. Ercole Spada of Zagato was given the task of performing the necessary modifications. Even after Zagato worked his magic, the Ferrari's proved to competitive for the DB4 GT's. Though the DB4 GT's suffered from oversteer and and low rigidity, its Achilles' heal was the fact that it was born from a road going car.

The final DB4 GT constructed was sent to Bertone who fitted it with a body and had it sent to the 1961 Geneva and Turin Motorshows. It was styled by Giorgietto Giugiaro who was in the infancy of his career. This, the 76th and final DB4 GT produced, was given an attractive steel body.
By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2007
 
Recent Vehicle Additions

The Highly Desirable 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB/C Roars Its Way To The Pebble Beach Auctions Presented By Gooding & Company

One of only 12 ever built, this unrivaled offering is the ultimate evolution of the single-cam Ferrari Berlinetta, and its auction debut will headline The Pebble Beach Auctions this August SANTA...

RENAULT ZOE ARRIVES IN THE UK WITH 250 MILE RANGE

ZOE now offers best range of any mainstream electric vehicle New Z.E.40 battery provides 250 miles (NEDC) of driving on a single charge New top-of-the-range Signature Nav tri...

From Russo With Love! Ferrari with 007 Pedigree to Cross the Block at Russo and Steele Monterey!

1970 Ferrari 365 22 with 007 Pedigree Set to Cross the Block at Russo and Steeles 16th Annual Monterey Collector Automobile Auction Event! Scottsdale, Arizona (June 24th, 2016) – First...

Very Early, Extremely Low Production Lamborghini 350 GT Promises to Ignite the Block at Russo and Steele's 2016 Arizona Auction Event

Scottsdale, Arizona (December 8th, 2015) – The 350400 GT Series represented Ferruccio Lamborghinis intention to construct the finest Grand Touring automobiles ever assembled. Many automotive...

Land Rover Celebrates 65 Years Of Technology And Innovation

SIXTY-FIVE YEARS OF LAND ROVER From our earliest days, the desire to create a vehicle that will tackle any terrain has made Land Rover famous around the world. Over the past 65 years, the Land...

15/98
2-Liter Type A Speed Model
Aston V8
Cygnet
DB2
DB3
DB4
DB5
DB6
DB7
DB9
DBR1
DBR9
DBS
International
Lagonda
Le Mans
Mk II
One-77
T-Type
Type C Speed Model
Ulster
V12 Vantage
V12 Zagato
V8 Vantage
Vanquish
Virage

Image Left 1961 DB4 GT Touring1963 DP214 Image Right
© 1998-2017. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Vehicle information, history, and
specifications from concept to production.

Follow ConceptCarz on Facebook  Follow ConceptCarz on Twitter RSS News Feed

Conceptcarz.com
© 1998-2017 Conceptcarz.com Reproduction or reuse prohibited without written consent.