The Series 490 received its named after the price of the two base models and was first introduced in 1916. It would remain in production until 1923, when a new Chevrolet naming scheme was introduced. By 1923, the cost of the base model had increased to $510, with the top-of-the-line Series 490 four-door Sedan selling for $875.
There were two bodystyles available on the Series 490 in 1916, a roadster and a touring car. Both bodystyles were both void of a left front door. It was a simple, utilitarian vehicle offered at an affordable price and powered by a four-cylinder engine. The engine displaced 171 cubic-inches and produced a modest 24 horsepower.
The windshield was vertical and lacked side splash guards. Included in the purchase price was a top, a top hoop, and a windshield. Options included electric lighting and starting system which boosted the price to $550. If this option was selected, they were fitted with a Connecticut automatic ignition system rather than a magneto. Other options included a front bumper, spare tire, Moto-meter, Southern gauge, and an outside rearview mirror.
Sales were rather impressive, with around 18,000 examples of the Series 490 sold during 1916. Total Chevrolet production was 62,898. By Daniel Vaughan | May 2008
For more information and related vehicles, click here
In a busy year, Volkswagen will also add a new Golf SportWagen, an all-new Golf R, a redesigned Touareg SUV, and the company's first U.S.-market EV, the e-Golf
• All-new Golf is bigger, lighter, and more fuel-efficient than the previous model, seats five, and has a larger trunk than any midsize sedan
• New Golf GTI has 210-horsepower engine, with improved fuel efficiency and performance
• e-Golf is Volkswagen's first full Battery Electric Vehicle for sale in the U.S.
• Redesigned Jett...[Read more...]
June sales total 28,827 units
• Golf GTI delivered 1,927 units for the month, the best month since March 2006
• Passat delivered 7,222 units for the month
• Jetta sedan delivered 10,102 units for the month
• Tiguan delivered 2,416 units for the month
• High-mileage, TDI® Clean Diesel models accounted for 6,456 units, representing 22.4 percent of sales in June • Year-to-date TDI sales were 42,140, representing 23.5 percent of sales
• Passat TDI sales were 2,316, representing 32.1 percent...[Read more...]
• The Golf is the first imported car to win Japan's top award
• Germany's No. 1 scores 504 out of 600 points - a new record
Wolfsburg / Tokyo - The Golf is 'Car of the Year 2013/14' in Japan. Thus, for the first time in the 34-year history of this prestigious award a foreign car has beaten the local competition. Particularly impressive was the score awarded by the 60-strong jury to the latest generation Golf, which has been available in Japan only since 25th June: 50...[Read more...]
Passat 1.8T priced from $20,895 for S model: gains 3 mpg on EPA highway estimated fuel economy over outgoing 2.5 modelHerndon, VA - Having launched the new EA888 1.8-liter turbocharged and direct-injection TSI® engine in the Jetta lineup and in the Passat 1.8T SEL Premium, Volkswagen of America has announced pricing for the remainder of the Passat 1.8T lineup—the 1.8T S, 1.8T Wolfsburg Edition, 1.8T SE, 1.8T SE with Sunroof, and 1.8T SE with Sunroof and Navigation.
The ba...[Read more...]
Tuned Jetta sedans featuring new EA888 turbocharged TSI® engines on display in Las Vegas; First North American tuned seventh-generation Golf debuts before market launch in 2014Las Vegas, NV - With U.S. sales having more than doubled since 2009, Volkswagen continues its march to sustainable growth with the brand's most compelling lineup in its history and plans to add several exciting new products and innovations in the near future. Two significant enhancements to the VW lineup...[Read more...]