1955 Messerschmitt KR200 news, pictures, specifications, and information
The Messerschmitt was designed by aircraft engineer, Fritz Fend, and was manufactured in the former Messerschmitt Aircraft Company located in Regensburg, Germany. The Messerschmitt KR-200 was produced between February 1955 and December 1966. The KR stands for 'Kabinenroller' which means 'cabin scooter'. The KR-200 is noted for its three-wheel design and is immediately identifiable by its distinctive bubble canopy. The engine is an air-cooled 199cc 1-cylinder, 2-stroke that develops 10 bhp at 5250 RPM. 16,000 were produced.
The Messerschmitt was designed by aircraft engineer, Fritz Fend, and was manufactured in the former Messerschmitt Aircraft Company located in Regensburg, Germany. The KR stands for 'Kabinenroller' which means 'cabin scooter'. The KR-200 is noted for its three-wheel design and is immediately identifiable by its distinctive bubble canopy. The engine is an air-cooled 199cc 1-cylinder, 2-stroke that develops 10 horsepower at 5250 RPM. The Messerschmitt KR-200 was produced between February 1955 and December 1966. 16,000 were produced. The car has been in the owner's family since 1959.
One of several post-WWII minicars, the Messerschmitt is associated with the famous aircraft works. But its design came from Fritz Fend, an aeronautical engineer who had established a company producing scooters for invalids in 1946.
Around 1950, Fend began thinking about a design for a tiny, inexpensive car, but lacked the means to implement production, and approached Messerschmitt with his idea in 1951. The company was limited by a post-war ban on aircraft enterprises at the time, and its management was receptive.
Messerschmitt's engineering staff worked with Fend to develop the concept, and in the spring of 1953 the little three-wheeler went on sale. Classified as a 'kabinenroller,' German for 'cabin scooter' or 'bubble car,' the original KR175 was driven by a 171cc Fichtel & Sachs single-cylinder air-cooled 2-stroke engine sending 9 horsepower to the rear-wheel by a 4-speed manual gearbox and chain drive.
Introduced in 1955, the KR200 had a bigger engine - 191cc - generating 10 horsepower. A foot throttle replaced the previous twist-grip, and backing up was achieved by reversing the engine's rotation, a little-known 2-storke trait. Just 111 inches long and 48 inches wide, the flip-top kabinenroller seated two in tandem. It weighed less than 400 pounds, and was reportedly capable of 62 mph and 100 mpg.
This example was acquired by his father in 1959 as a basket case project. Re-assembled, it became the son's first driving experience, at age 11. The car was passed to his son in 1999, and in 2003 conducted a comprehensive restoration.
Sold for $25,155 at 2011 Bonhams
Microcars have always had a strong following for a number of reasons. Pioneered by the Austin Seven, microcars were often scaled down versions of their larger motoring brethren. This was not always the case, as some companies went in another direction, including a company formerly known for its fearsome fighter planes. Messerschmitt was run by the mechanical and aeronautical genius Wilhelm 'Willy' Messerschmitt. They had produced the BF109 and Me262 (among others) that had battled against the Allies. After World War II came to a close, their expertise was no longer needed in the same capacity. So, they turned to cars. The result of their work was a road-going vehicle like nothing else traveling on the pavement. It featured three wheels (which was advantageous tax wise, since it was technically a motorcycle), and was powered by a rear mounted 175cc Sach two-stroke single engine. It had cockpit-like seating and Plexiglas canopy. Steering was performed through motorcycle handlebars. The first model was the KR-175 and over the years evolved into the four-wheeled Tiger.
The KR-200 was an evolution of the KR-175. It had a wider track, redesigned rubber-in-torsion suspension, and a larger 191cc Sachs motor. Reverse was still tricky - requiring the driver to shut off the motor and restart it spinning backwards - but this could now be done electronically. Luxury was taken to a new level with the addition of ivory-colored handlebars in place of the old chrome pieces.
This example has had only two owners since new. It was originally purchased by a very tall individual in New York and used as a daily driver. It eventually passed from his estate to the current owner, who had the car restored in 2003. The bubble-top canopy was removed and replaced with a cabrio top (which was introduced in 1959).
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the Quail Lodge presented by Bonhams auction. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $25,155 inclusive of buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2011
Sold for $37,400 at 2014 Bonhams
The Messerschmitt Kabinenroller micro-car was introduced in 1953 as the 'Fend', after its co-designer Fritz Fend. Soon, the car was being manufactured under its manufacturer's name. The change in the name coincided with a switch from the original's 148cc Fichtel & Sachs engine to a 174cc unit. The single-cylinder two-stroke engine, located in the rear, produced 9 horsepower and was capable of carrying the lightweight and aerodynamic KR175 to around 55 mph. They had a Plexiglas canopy, reminiscent of Messerschmitt's wartime aircraft, hinged sideways to enable access for two occupants with sat tandem style, one behind the other.
The KR200 of 1955 featured revised bodywork, an improved turning circle and a floor-mounted accelerator and clutch. The KR200 cabriolet and KR201 roadster versions followed. Production ceased in 1964 after more than 30,000 KR200s had been produced.
This example has been treated to a restoration and finished in a period-correct ivory color, and trimmed in bright red. It is optioned with an Agortone radio and a spare wheel.By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2014
During World War II, the Messerschmitt Company produced German fighter planes such as the popular ME109 fighter. The company came into existence in 1923 and founded by Professor Willy Messerschmitt. When WWII came to a close, the company switched to manufacturing automobile parts, as well as other industries such as sewing machine production.
Designs for the Messerschmitt automobiles began as early as 1953 by Fritz Fend. The Messerschmitt three-wheeled KR175 Kabinenroller (cabin scooter) was the original Messerschmitt. Power was from a one-cylinder, two-stroke, engine that displaced 175cc and produced 9.5 horsepower. The rear mounted engine powered the single rear wheel and mated to a four-speed manual gearbox. The cars were suspended by a rubber torsilastic suspension and braking was handled by four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Steering was by a handlebar-type system. The interior cockpit had room for two, though seating was in tandem with the passenger sitting behind the driver.
In total, around 10,000 examples were sold.
The KR200 was introduced a short time later and powered by a large, two-stroke engine that displaced 191cc. Horsepower rose to 10. There was a tilt-over, cockpit-style bubble canopy top formed from plexiglas. The KR200 had a reverse gear (the engine could be spun the opposite way to go backwards) and a self-starter. The KR175 did not have reverse and had to be pick-up or pushed in order to go backwards.
By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2009
One of a kind, the quirky three-wheeled Messerschmitt KR200 was a bubble car designed by Fritz Fend, aircraft engineer. The KR200, also dubbed Kabinenroller or cabin scooter, was produced from 1955 through 1964 in the German aircraft manufacturer Messerschmitt's factory.
The year was 1952 and Messerschmitt was temporarily banned from manufacturing aircraft, so they turned their attention and resources to other production. Fend took his idea of a small motor vehicle based on a invalid carriage, Fend Flitzer, to the German company. The result of their collaboration was the KR175, which would be the first of Fend's vehicles to enter production at Messerschmitt's Regensburg factory. The car wore the Messerschmitt name and insignia, but a separate company Regensburger Stahl- und Metallbau GmbH was created to both manufacture and market the car.
In 1955 the KR200 was born. Taking the same basic frame as the KR175, the KR200 sported an improved canopy design and updated bodywork that included wheel cutouts in the front fenders. Hydraulic shock absorbers were now found at all three wheels, the tire sizes were enlarged to 4.00x8 and the rear suspension and engine mountings were revamped. Retailing around $1724.71, or DM 2,500, the KR200 was met with immediate fanfare. Nearly 12,000 models were constructed in its first year alone. Amazingly light, the KR200 had a maximum speed around 56 mph and a claimed power output of only 10 PS.
When 1956 rolled around and Messerschmitt was once again allowed to manufacture aircrafts, they lost their interest in Fend's microcars. The German company sold the Regensburg works to Fend who partnered with Valentin Knott, brake and hub supplier, with the end result being Fahrzeug- und Maschinenbau GmbH Regensburg (FMR). The new company continued to produce the KR200 along with Fend's other vehicles.
The KR200 Kabrio model was debuted in 1957. Sporting a cloth convertible top, the Kabrio had fixed side window frames. Soon after the KR201 Roadster was introduced, with a folding cloth top, a windscreen, removable side curtains and no window frames. Closely following the arrival of these models was a Sport Roadster with no top and a fixed in place canopy. The driver had to climb in and out of the vehicle via the top of the car. The early KR200 models carried some of the KR175 characteristics that included yellow ochre-colored interior primer, beige-colored interior trim and double-strip front bumper trim.
The spunky little KR200 and its four-wheeled derivative, the FMR Tg500 shared the narrow little body that was a microcar trademark and the transparent acrylic bubble canopy. One had to enter the car via a canopy door hinged on the right side of the vehicle. For most vehicles except the Roadster, the door included all the windows and the frame in which it was set, and extended from the right side of the monocoque tub to the left. The canopy was fixed in place on the Sport Roadster model and only a tonneau cover was in place of a top or any windows at all. A larger curved glass windshield that formed A-pillars with the side window frames on the KR200 was a much more simplified version from the previous KR175. This made the bubble much more compact, easier and less expensive to produce.
The KR200 featured an electric windshield wiper, which was an upgrade from the manual KR175 one. Tandem seating was used in the narrow body of the KR200, which allowed the body to 'taper like an aircraft fuselage', within a practical length. The microcar had an mpg around 87. The KR200 featured capable handling thanks to the tandem seating and centralized mass of the car with the longitudinal axis, low weight, and low center of gravity and wheel placement. The tandem seating also made an export version to left-hand drive countries unnecessary.
Powering the KR200 was a 11.7 cu in Fichtel & Sachs air-cooled single cylinder two-stroke engine nestled in front of the rear wheel, right behind the passenger's seat. With two sets of contact breaker points, to reverse the KR200, the engine was stopped, and then restarted, going backwards. Whether intentionally or not, this was achieved by pushing the key further into the ignition switch than normal. The same four gear ratios were available in reverse as in the forward movement thanks to the positive-stop transmission.
Similar to flying an aircraft, the controls inside the KR200 were all operated by pushing instead of turning. The steering bar provided a very direct response best suited to small, measured inputs thanks to its connection directly to the track rods of the front wheels. Putting the car in neutral no matter what gear it had been in before when actuated, the gearshift lever had a secondary lever on it. Transmission would have to be shifted back to first before the car would be able to move from a direct stop. The KR200 featured a full set of pedals that included brake, clutch and accelerator unlike its predecessor the KR175. Using cables the brake pedal still operated mechanical brakes.
Messerschmitt prepared a KR200 to break the 24-hour speed record in 1955 for three-wheeled vehicles under 15.3 cu in. to prove the durability under the hood of the microcar. Tested mercilessly for 25,000 kilometers, the prototype broke 22 international speed records in its class, including the 24-hour speed record (which is set at 64 mph). The record car had a highly modified engine and a special single-seat low-drag body, while the steering, suspension and braking components were stock. The throttle, brake and clutch cables were replicated.
Factory-converted Service Cars were manufactured by Messerschmitt, and eventually FMR, to order by the automobile service industry. An estimated twelve Service Cars were built, and only one is thought to have survived. The idea behind the concept was similar to the service offered by the Harley-Davidson Servi-Car and the Indian Dispatch Tow. The Service Car featured a detachable tow bar and clamp, and a revamped front suspension that housed the tow bar when it wasn't used, and a storage system inside the car to accommodate the tow bar when not used. The idea was that the service tech would tow the disabled car by attached the tow bar to the front of the Service Car and clamp the other end to the bumper of the customer's car and drive it back to the garage.
Sales unfortunately drooped significantly in 1962 and by 1964 sales of the KR200 ceased completely. The German economy was booming and demand for basic economy transport in Germany had dwindled. This was also happening in other parts of Europe, including the U.K. where the biggest export location was the U.S. whose fascination was focusing on the arrival of the popular Mini.
Today there is a small niche for the microcar lover, and fan could pay upwards of €20,000 for a well-maintained 'Schmitt'. Aftermarket reproduction marks are made for the KR200 and include reproduction bubble tops constructed from car-safe polymethyl methacrylate. Sources:
By Jessica Donaldson
Recent Vehicle Additions
|Auctions America Presents Renowned JLG Autocrib Porsche Collection 'Without Reserve'|
|• Auctions America presents JLG Autocrib Porsche Collection 'without reserve' at its annual Fort Lauderdale sale, March 31 – April 2 in Florida
• Comprising 26 vehicles, spanning 48 years of Porsche production, prized collection traces the evolution of the esteemed German marque, running the gamut from a 1955 356 1600 Speedster through to a 2003 996 Turbo
• Car docket complemented by hundreds of lots of rare Porsche automobilia
• Celebrating its 15th anniversary in 2017, Auctions America's ...[Read more...]|
|RM Group of Companies Leads the Market in 2016 with $450 Million in Global Auction Sales|
|• RM group of companies—RM Sotheby's and Auctions America—posts $450 million in auction sales in 2016
• RM Sotheby's generates market-leading $380 million with strong international growth and many auction records
• Auctions America rounds out 2016 calendar with $68.7 million and 40 percent new clients
• Upcoming 2017 event calendars available at www.rmsothebys.com and www.auctionsamerica.com
BLENHEIM, ON (December 21, 2016) – The RM group of companies, incorporating RM Sotheby'...[Read more...]|
|NEWEST BESPOKE COMMISSIONS OF SINGER VEHICLE DESIGN PRESENTED AT AMELIA ISLAND AND THE PALM EVENT|
|Extravagance Equates With Perfection as Two Customer-Owned Porsche 911s, Reimagined by Singer Vehicle Design, Display Breathtaking Style and Exquisite Results in Optimization
LOS ANGELES – March 9, 2016 – As the annual Concours season begins, Southern California-based Singer Vehicle Design joins the 'best of the best' in the collectible world, with two of the brand's newest east coast commissions at two highly anticipated Florida showcases – the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance...[Read more...]|
|TATRA UNSEEN FOR DECADES BEGINS LONG JOURNEY FROM CZECH REPUBLIC TO PEBBLE BEACH|
|Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance to Feature Streamlined Tatras for First Time
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (July 16, 2014) -- This past week Pavel Kasik bid farewell to his beloved Tatra T77 only days after completing its 20-year restoration. The Tatra started its overseas journey of 4,279 miles from the Czech Republic to the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, which will host an exclusive feature of streamlined Tatra automobiles for the first time. A passionate car enthusiast, Kasik will...[Read more...]|
|MASERATI AND RUXTON AMONG FEATURED MARQUES AT 2014 PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS d'ELEGANCE|
|PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (February 20, 2014) -- Maserati, a marque renowned for its racing greats as well as road cars offering both elegance and sporting performance, takes center stage at the 64th annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. The event, often said to be the most intense collector car competition in the world, will be held on Sunday, August 17, at The Lodge at Pebble Beach.
Additional 2014 features range from rainbow-hued Ruxtons and antique steamers to the elegant coachwork...[Read more...]|