Roamer automobiles were built from 1919 to 1926 in Kalamazoo, Michigan. They were 'assembled' automobiles, which means the components were purchased from automotive supplier companies and then assembled at Roamer's plant. This practice was typical of many low volume automobile companies that did not have the resources to design and build their own parts.
Roamers were known as sporty automobiles and their designs reflected the look of the Roaring 20's with rakish windshields, low body lines, thin fenders and wire wheels. Two models were produced, a lower priced model which was powered by a 54 horsepower, inline, L-head six-cylinder engine manufactured by the Continental engine company and a more expensive model which was powered by a 100 horsepower Rochester-Duesenberg four-cylinder engine. This engine used valves which entered the combustion chambers from the side and were operated by means of a complex, external rocker arm arrangement. This engine design was built in 1914 by the Duesenberg Brothers and used in many race cars during the period as well as a few high performance passenger cars such as the Kenworhty, the Revere and the Roamer.
This extremely rare Roamer roadster is powered by the Rochester-Duesenberg engine. It is one of a handful of Roamers that exists today and is part of the Gilmore Museum's collection which is located in Hickory Corners, Michigan.