Skip to main content

1922 Wills Sainte Claire A68 news, pictures, specifications, and information
Four Passenger Coupe
 
Childe Harold Wills began his automotive career with the Ford Motor Company. He was the chief metallurgist and was responsible for helping Henry Ford incorporate a new material, vanadium steel, into the production of the Model T. Vanadium steel was a lightweight material that was not only strong but flexible and it would become the principal material for most of the Model T's chassis parts.

Wills worked for Ford until the end of World War I, when he decided he wanted to build his own automobile. When he left Ford, he took with him $1.5 million which he would use to start his own company. The new C.H. Wills and Company was located in Marysville, Michigan and in 1921, they built their first automobile which was called the Wills St. Claire. Unlike the Model T, which was an affordable, mass produced vehicle, the Wills St. Claire was an expensive luxury car that was built using the latest technologies and materials. For the cast components, Wills incorporated another new material, molybdenum, which like vanadium steel, was lightweight and very durable. Wills St. Claire vehicles were powered by either V8 or I-6 overhead valve engines. Unfortunately, the Wills St. Claire never achieved the success that other vehicles did during this period and by 1927 the company closed its doors.

Today, Wills St. Claires are extremely rare automobiles and it is estimated that fewer than eighty examples remain.
Roadster
Chassis Num: 6336
Engine Num: 7367
 
Sold for $151,250 at 2015 Bonhams.
The Wills St. Claire Company was introduced in 1919 but their experience with automobiles began many years before. Engineer C. Harold Wills was an expert metallurgist who had introduced Henry Ford to vanadium steel, which added to the Model T's legendary durability. Wills also designed the famous Ford script logo. In 1919, Wills left Ford and began building his own automobile. He used the $1.5 million he'd received in severance from Henry Ford to help capitalize on his new car. His new car was dubbed the Wills Sainte Claire, after himself and the river that ran near his new Marysville, Michigan factory. The Canada grey goose was portrayed on the new car's radiator ornament.

The engine was a 265 cubic-inch monobloc V8 with two overhead camshafts. It was designed in similar fashion to the Hispano-Suiza World War I aircraft engines. Precise bevel drive gears improved upon the noisy straight gears of the Hispano design, making the Wills' V8 much quieter. The engine breathed through a dual throat carburetor and offered exceptional performance.

Wills used castings of molybdenum steel to help keep their 121-inch wheelbase Wills Sainte Claire light and nimble. Beginning in 1925, the company offered a SOHC 6-cylinder engine along with the V8.

Between 1922 and 1927, more than 12,000 examples of the Wills Sainte Claire were produced. Though the cars were well engineered, the business model was not as fine-tuned. Wills often shut down the production line so he could make improvements. The V-8 engine was very expensive to produce and the low output of the company would never yield a profit.

This particular example is a Model A-68 V-8 Rumble-Seat Roadster. It is one of the 2,162 Wills Sainte Claire cars produced during 1924. It features high ratio gearing, distinctive headlamps and the driver's courtesy light. It wears an older restoration that still shows well in modern times. It has its original Wills bumpers, golf club bracket and a mechanical directional system. The Wills includes a full set of side curtains.

By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2015
FORD BEGINS BUILDING ALL-NEW F-150; CUSTOMER INTEREST FOR TRUCK AT RECORD LEVELS
◾2015 Ford F-150 starts production at historic Ford Rouge Center; facilities transformed with the latest in manufacturing technology to build the first mass-produced truck in its class featuring a high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy body and bed ◾All-new F-150 is completely redesigned - establishing a new standard for full-size pickups by bringing together improved capability and efficiency, along with cutting-edge smart vehicle technology ◾New F-150 goes on sale in December in the U...[Read more...]
FORD DEARBORN TRUCK PLANT CELEBRATES 10 YEARS OF SUSTAINABLE MANUFACTURING; PREPARES TO BUILD ALL-NEW 2015 FORD F-150
◾Along with Dearborn Truck Plant marking 10 years of sustainable manufacturing and 2.6 million units of Ford F-150 production, Ford Rouge factory tour celebrates its 10th year; a complete tour renovation starts this summer ◾Dearborn Truck Plant upholds Ford's blueprint for sustainability through its living roof and recycling programs; the facility has recycled more than 20 million pounds of cardboard, paper, plastic and wood since its opening ◾Dearborn Truck Plant will begin building the all-n...[Read more...]
FORD MUSTANG HERO CAR FROM UPCOMING 'NEED FOR SPEED' MOVIE HEADED TO BARRETT-JACKSON AUCTION BLOCK
◾Ford-designed and built custom wide body Mustang used in the new movie 'Need for Speed' will be auctioned for charity ◾All-new 2015 Ford Mustang and 2015 Ford F-150 will be on display at the auction in West Palm Beach, Fla. ◾Ford will offer ride-and-drives at the auction in vehicles from its 2014 lineup; Shelby GT500, Focus ST and Fiesta ST are primed for hot-lap experiences A custom 2014 Ford Mustang GT starring in the new movie, 'Need for Speed,' will be auctioned off for charity by Ford...[Read more...]
Ford Motor Company Fund Donates $1 Million To College For Creative Studies
 The College for Creative Studies (CCS) announced today that Ford Motor Company Fund will donate $1 million over five years, strengthening its commitment to one of the world's leading art and design colleges and providing educational opportunities to Detroit youth. The funds are being used to establish the Henry Ford Academy: School for Creative Studies (HFA: SCS) College and Career Transitions Office at CCS, as well as start a Ford Blue Oval Scholarship fund at CCS for graduates of HFA: SCS t...[Read more...]
Edsel Ford's Restored 1934 Model 40 Special Speedster Returns to Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance
It has been 13 years since Edsel Ford's 1934 Model 40 Special Speedster first made headlines when it rolled onto the field at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. The elegant roadster, which was rediscovered in 1999 by the show's founder and Chairman Bill Warner, will return again on Sunday, March 11 to the 17 the annual Concours; this time as part of the collection of the historic Edsel Eleanor Ford House (Ford House) and completely restored to its timeless elegance. The Speedster's ...[Read more...]

© 1998-2014. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.