As soon as World War II ended, the Detroit 'Arsenal of Democracy' shifted back to producing new automobiles for a car-hungry America. Cadillac, like other manufacturers, re-introduced slightly revised versions of their short-run 1942 models. The rarely seen 1942 Cadillac Series 62 models had featured completely new, extremely handsome styling that, if anything, became even more desirable with the 1946 adaptation.
The Series 62 Club Coupe was an especially stylish car, with its low roofline and side windows accenting its beautifully flowing lines. The massive car had an overall length of 220 inches and a 129-inch wheelbase. It weighed 4,100 lbs.
The Series 62's basic Fisher 'C-Body' design was also used by Oldsmobile and Buick senior lines. Buick called the 2-door style a 'Sedanette,' Oldsmobile termed it a 'Club Sedan' and Cadillac called their version a 'Club Coupe.' The sleek fastback body was continued into 1947, with minor appearance changes, by all three GM divisions and was used by Buick through 1948.
Only 2,323 buyers were lucky enough to take a new Cadillac Series 62 Club Coupe home during 1946. This example cost its original owner $1972.33, including taxes. The current owner has owned this 1946 Cadillac for 21 years and has driven it more than 45,000 miles, participating in many collector car tours. The car's Fleetwood interior was restored, with new old stock cloth, in 2006.
Sold for $48,400 at 2009 RM Auctions. The Cadillac Series 62, even though it remained largely unchanged from the prewar 1942 models, was an ultra-modern vehicle and very successful in the immediate post-war era. The interior was luxurious and the pricing was considered quite reasonable, resulting in it becoming Cadillac's best-selling model.
Slight changes occurred for the 1946 model year; the grille and front parking lamps were slightly altered, the dashboard was mildly changed, and wrap-around bumpers were added. Optional equipment including the 346 cubic-inch V8 engine with dual downdraft carburetors, and the Hydra-Matic automatic transmission - both of these options were installed on this particular Convertible Coupe. It is an unrestored, mostly original car with a single repaint in light blue. There is a power-operated tan convertible top, and blue painted steel wheels with chrome hubcaps, trim rings, and period correct whitewall tires. The interior is blue leather upholstery with blue carpeting, blue painted dash and three-spoke steering wheel. Amenities include power windows, power front seat and a heater, and a pushbutton-operated radio.
In 2009, this Cadillac Series 62 was offered for sale at the Automobiles of Arizona auction presented by RM Auctions. The lot was estimated to sell for $50,000 - $70,000 and was offered without a reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $48,400 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2009
Convertible Coupe Chassis Num: 8409520 Engine Num: 8409520
Sold for $88,000 at 2015 Bonhams. The Cadillac Automobile Company of Detroit was founded by Henry Leland and Robert Faulconer. Their first car was completed in October of 1902 and it was not long before the company's superior precision manufacturing technology gave them a reputation as one of the foremost builder of quality cars in the United States. Over the years, Cadillac continued to excel in technology, build quality, prestige and design. This was true even during the difficult economic times of the 1930s. Cadillac continued to introduce landmark advancements. The engine lineup included a V8, V12, and V16 options, but by the close of the 1930s, the only engine that remained was the smooth and powerful V8. It had plenty of torque, moderate power, was reliable, and offered smooth operation. For an additional $174, buyers could have the engine mated to a Hydra-matic automatic transmission.
In 1940, the Series 62 Cadillacs featured the Fisher-built 'Projectile' or 'Torpedo' bodies. The following year, they were given a revised front-end treatment, establishing a patter that would continue for several years. The car's stardom was take to new heights when American sportsman Briggs Cunningham entered a Series 62 in the 1950 Le Mans 24 Hour race. The Coupe de Ville finished 10th at Le Mans that year, driven by the Collier brothers.
This particular example is one of fewer than 1,400 examples produced for the 1946 model year. The early history of the car is not known, but it is believed to have resided in the Denver, Colorado area since new. By the mid-1990s, the car was in the care of Mr. Charlie Wisherd. It is believed that Mr. Wisherd had purchased the about a decade earlier from Mr. and Mrs. Norby, and prior to that, the Cadillac is believed to have been in static storage for about 2 decades. In January of 1995, the car was purchased from Mr. Wisherd by Denver, Colorado resident, Mr. Al White. Soon after, a comprehensive overhaul followed, with the paintwork carefully restored upholstery re-done, and the plating receiving attention.
Mr. Tom Kostelecky of Littleton, Colorado purchased the car from Mr. White's estate in 1998, and soon treated the engine to a complete overhaul. When the work was completed, the Kostelecky's took the car on a 10-day, national CCCA CARavan, where the Cadillac reportedly performed faultlessly.
The current caretaker acquired the car in 2004.
The car is powered by a 346 cubic-inch L-Head V8 engine fitted with a single Two-Barrel carburetor and offering 150 horsepower. There is a 3-speed automatic transmission and 4-wheel drum brakes. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2015
The Harley Earl designed Cadillac Series 62 was a very large vehicle that featured a large, 6,390 cc (390 cubic inch) V-8 engine. The back had large fins that did little for performance and handling but was all about the style of the vehicle. The design of the vehicle was inspired by the space program and the era of jet engines. The large, 4400 lb car was fitted with drum brakes. These often wore out quickly. If a U-turn needed to be made, the driver would need a parking lot. The turning radius was 24 feet.
The name 'DeVille' would first be used in 1949 on the Coupe De Ville, and later on the 1956 Sedan deVille. The 1942, 1946 and 1947 versions were similar; they were completely different from the 1941 bodystyles.
The car was a luxury vehicle that could carry six individuals comfortably. The car was a convertible with the top being raised and lowered automatically. The interior had electrical gauges. The head lights would turn on at dusk and were also capable of switching from high beam to low beam when they sensed oncoming traffic. In total, there were eight lights on the front of the vehicle. The four on the top were the driving lights while the lights mounted on the bumper were the parking lamps. To add to the driving comfort, air suspension was used. This aided in providing a very soft ride but there was significant body roll when cornering. With the V8, it was capable of creeping to sixty in 11 seconds. This reinforced the notion that this Cadillac was built for comfort and not for speed. The drivers enjoyed the ride and they looked good cruising along, enjoying the large open road. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2008