Image credits: © Pontiac. GM Corp
2009 Pontiac G5 news, pictures, and information
2009 PONTIAC G5 OFFERS MORE POWER AND BETTER FUEL ECONOMYNew for 2009
• EPA estimated highway fuel economy of 37 mpg, due to:
• More efficient and more powerful 2.2L Ecotec wîth variable valve timing
• New 3.63 final drive ratio wîth the manual transmission
• New 15-inch low-rolling resistance tires
• Bluetooth capability
• iPod-compatible ÚSB port in the radio
• Two new exterior colors: Quicksilver Metallic and Silver Green Metallic
• New interior trim combination: Red/Ebony leather
• Dual-stage inflatable driver and front passenger, low-risk deployment air bags – passenger sensing system
A new, more efficient version of the 2.2L Ecotec engine delivers a dramatic increase in fuel economy for the 2009 Pontiac G5. The 2.2L engine uses variable valve timing to optimize fuel economy at all speeds, for an EPA-estimated highway rating of 37 mpg. It also brings a slight horsepower increase.
'With the new 2.2L engine, the 2009 G5 is a great-lòòking, low-priced coupe that delivers fuel economy that pushes it to the top of its §egmènt,' said Susan Docherty, vice president of Buick-Pontiac-GMC. 'It is an uncompromising choice for customers who want style, convenience and great mileage at an affordable price.'
In addition to increased power and fuel economy, the '09 G5 coupe continues to offer a wide range of standard comfort, convenience and safety features – many not found on competitors' models – wrapped in a sporty coupe design.
The G5 is available in base and GT models, all marked by clean lines, a spacious, five-passenger interior and standard rear spoiler.
Enhanced safety and style
Last year, the G5 made safety features such head curtain side-impact air bags and GM's tire pressure monitoring system standard. For '09, a passenger sensing system is added, complementing the standard dual-stage frontal air bags.
Also new for the '09 G5 lineup is the addition of Bluetooth connectivity wîth the OnStar system (OnStar is now standard on all models). This wireless technology enables hands-free phone calls for safer, more convenient connections.
Two new exterior colors are added to the G5's palette: Quicksilver Metallic and Silver Green Metallic (Nitrous Blue Metallic and Titanium Metallic are retired); and a new interior color combination is added: Ebony/Red leather-appointed seating is available on GT models.
Additional changes and new content reflect revisions to popular equipment packages. They include:
• Sun and Sound Package – Content includes a new, AM/FM/CD radio wîth MP3 playback wîth premium Pioneer seven-speaker sound and a power sunroof.
• New MYLINK Package – Content includes 16-inch machine-face wheels, four-wheel ABS, cruise control, chrome exhaust tip, leather-wrapped §teering wheel and shift knob, §teering wheel audio controls and Bluetooth capability.
• New Appearance Package – Content includes body-color side moldings, trunk cargo net, chrome exhaust tip and front fog lamps.
G5 standard and available features
The base G5 is well-equipped wîth standard features including air conditioning; OnStar; power windows and door locks; remote keyless entry, carpeted floor mats; and four cupholders (two in front, two in rear).
Available options on the base model include anti-lock brakes; leather-appointed seats; seven-speaker Pioneer sound system wîth 10-inch subwoofer; uplevel radio wîth ÚSB input port; cruise control; traction control; remote start; sunroof; cargo net; body-side moldings; fog lamps; leather-wrapped §teering and shift knob; and 16-inch aluminum wheels.
The GT model ups the ante on standard features, including StabiliTrak electronic stability control system, anti-lock brakes, 17-inch aluminum wheels, sport rocker moldings; heated seats; fog lamps, cruise control, leather-wrapped §teering wheel wîth audio controls, leather-wrapped shift knob and cargo net.
XM Satellite Radio also is standard on both base and GT models, providing more entertainment options for drivers and their passengers.
Both the G5 base and GT models employ the Ecotec 2.2L four-cylinder engine. It is rated at 155 horsepower (116 kW)* and 150 lb.-ft. of torque (203 Nm)*. Variable valve timing is added to the 2.2L engine for '09, enabling a dramatic increase in efficiency, as well as an approximate 5-percent increase in horsepower over the '08 version.
The Ecotec engine has a solid architecture and all-aluminum construction, wîth features that include:
• Catalyst located close to the exhaust manifold to speed catalyst 'light-off' and reduce hydrocarbon emissions
• Direct mounting of all accessories to the engine structure to eliminate common sources of noise, vibration and harshness
• Dual overhead camshafts (DOHC) and four valves per cylinder
• Extremely compact dimensions and low mass
• Full circle transmission attachment is more rigid than most four-cylinder powertrains for reduced noise and vibration
• GM Oil Life System for optimum oil change frequency
• Innovative cast-in oil filter housing eliminates crawling under the car to perform oil changes. The design also eliminates throwaway oil-filter 'cans' that retain used oil that typically end up in landfills
• Low-friction, roller-finger follower valvetrain wîth hydraulic lash adjusters
• No routine maintenance apart from oil/oil filter changes
• Twin counter-rotating balance shafts
• Zero-maintenance chain camshaft drive
The standard transmission on both models is a Getrag F23 five-speed manual transmission, known for its smooth shifting. Customers can also choose GM's Hydra-Matic 4T45 electronically controlled four-speed automatic. The 4T45 uses Dexron VI fluid and is 'filled for life,' meaning no scheduled maintenance is required for the transmission under normal operating conditions.
Fuel economy improvement details
The '09 G5 delivers a dramatic increase in fuel economy wîth the 2.2L Ecotec engine, 25 mpg city and 37 mpg highway, the highest of any Pontiac product.
Variable valve timing added to the 2.2L Ecotec engine enables the more efficient performance, along wîth an increase in horsepower from 148 (110 kW) to 155 (115 kW)* – and the engine also qualifies the G5 as an Últra Low Emissions Vehicle. Helping to maximize fuel economy is a new, 'taller' 3.63 final drive ratio for the manual transmission (previous final drive was 3.84:1) and new, 15-inch low-rolling resistance tires.
Energetic driving experience
Pontiacs are known for delivering a crisp driving experience, and the G5 is definitely part of the family. It uses a MacPherson strut-type front suspension, semi-independent torsion beam rear suspension, and front and rear stabilizer bars for more exact body roll control. Suspension tuning for each model, including §teering feel, spring rate and stabilizer bar diameter, is precisely tuned to provide distinct driving and handling characteristics. Two suspension settings are offered:
• FE1 touring suspension – standard on the base model, provides a smooth ride and includes a 19-mm front stabilizer bar and a 16-mm rear stabilizer bar
• FE3 sport-tuned suspension – standard on GT, delivers a firmer, more responsive ride and includes 22-mm front and rear stabilizer bars, four-wheel disc brakes, monotube shocks and 17-inch wheels and performance tires
The G5's strut-type front suspension has 90 mm of compression travel and 87 mm of rebound, which beats most competitors and provides long wheel travel in a compact wheel base. A distinct road feel is provided by L-shaped front control arms containing a forward pivot bushing, which transmits most of the cornering force, and a larger, high-damped composite rear hydraulic bushing that allows rearward movement to minimize harshness from road surface impacts.
Defined §teering response and improved cornering agility wîth decreased body roll are created by the direct-acting front stabilizer bar that connects to each strut. All front suspension components are mounted to a firm cradle assembly comprised of four large hydroformed steel tubes and two side members that are integrally welded to front and rear cross members. The cradle is mounted to the G5's space frame at four widely spaced points.
The G5's torsion beam rear suspension provides excellent ride and handling, while maximizing interior space. A hydraulic rear suspension bushing is employed on the FE1 suspension to improve the ride and suppress road noise. Rear wheel travel, at 126.5 mm in jounce and 68.5 mm in rebound, is longer than most vehicles in the §egmènt.
|Engine : 2.2 L., 4-cylinder|
Power: 155 hp
Torque: 150 ft-lbs
5-speed Manual, 4-speed Automatic
GM's tire pressure monitoring system is standard and uses sensors to track pressure changes, helping motorists avoid premature tire failure and potentially dangerous, costly breakdowns.
The G5's digital OnStar system features enhanced hands-free voice recognition capabilities including more intuitive continuous digit dialing and improved voice recognition accuracy. Úsing the GPS satellite network and wireless technology, OnStar features core safety services and OnStar Hands-Free Calling that allow drivers to make and receive voice-activated phone calls using an externally mounted antenna for greater reception.
The OnStar service on the G5 also includes the General Motors Advanced Automatic Crash Notification (AACN) system, making crash data available to the participating 911 centers to help them dispatch the appropriate life-saving personnel and equipment to crash scenes faster. Optional is OnStar's Vehicle Diagnostics notification system that allows subscribers to receive free monthly diagnostic reports via e-mail. Each diagnostic report provides crucial tire pressure information, remaining engine oil life data, emissions, engine and transmission, and braking systems, as well as air bag system checks.
|All-New 2014 Fiat 500L Expands The Fiat Brand'S Product Lineup And Its Commitment To Innovative And Value-Loaded Cars|
|◾All-new 2014 Fiat 500L arrives to FIAT studios this June with a starting price of $19,100 and four value-loaded models ◾No-charge Premier Package on 500L Easy, Trekking and Lounge models ◾All-new Fiat 500L expands the appeal of the iconic 500, while adding two more doors, accommodations for five passengers, best-in-class interior volume (120.1 cu. ft.) and advanced European technology May 24, 2013 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Expanding on the style, efficiency and driving enjoyment that ...[Read more...]|
|Kia Motors Announces Pricing For All-New 2014 Cadenza Premium Sedan|
|Kia's Flagship Sedan Offers Premium Amenities at a Starting Price of $35,1001 MSRP
• The most powerful and technologically advanced Kia in the U.S. market is defined by European-influenced styling and extraordinary levels of refinement and amenities
• Cadenza features class-leading interior room2 and is offered in one trim level with two available option packages
IRVINE, Calif., April 19, 2013 – Kia Motors America (KMA) is pleased to announce pricing for its most powerful and ...[Read more...]
|ONSTAR'S FIRST ASSIST GETS EMD ACCREDITATION|
|Helping deliver a baby is not listed in an OnStar advisor's job description, but within the past year an emergency advisor has helped coach a woman through labor, while others administered CPR instruction to a young child and instructed how to stop excessive bleeding – all while the caller waited for help to arrive. These services are part of OnStar First Assist, which allows specially trained OnStar emergency advisors, certified by the International Academies of Emergency Dispatch®, to provi...[Read more...]|
|JEEP® AT THE 2013 GENEVA INTERNATIONAL MOTOR SHOW|
|•European premiere of the new Jeep® Grand Cherokee 2014: the most awarded Large SUV ever has been renewed in terms of internal and external design, technological contents and performance thanks to the new eight-speed automatic transmission •European debut for the new Jeep Compass 2014: revised interior and exterior design, new PowerTech six-speed automatic transmission and all-new safety features •European preview of the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary Edition: the new special-edition...[Read more...]|
|All-new Dodge Dart and Chrysler 300 Luxury Series Named to 'Wards 10 Best Interiors' List for 2012|
|• New 2013 Dodge Dart built with materials and precision craftsmanship typically found in more expensive vehicle segments |
• High-tech, unseen-in-the-segment features available on the Dart include class-exclusive customizable 7-inch gauge cluster, 8.4-inch Uconnect® touchscreen, heated steering wheel and illuminated floating island bezel in the instrument panel
• All-new Chrysler 300 Luxury Series sedan is the most luxurious and fuel-efficient Chrysler vehicle ever
• ...[Read more...]
|2009 Pontiac models|
|Pontiac G8 GXP|
|Pontiac Solstice Coupe|
|Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe Concept|
|Pontiac Vibe||2009 Pontiac Concepts|
|Pontiac G8 GXP Street Concept|
|Pontiac G8 ST Concept|
|Similarly Sized Vehicles from 2009|
|Alfa Romeo MiTo|
|Alfa Romeo MiTo GTA Concept|
|BMW 3 Series|
|BYD Auto E6|
|BYD Auto F3|
|Other models by Pontiac|
|Vehicle Recall Information|