Chassis Num: 71252
Engine Num: 71252
Sold for $66,000 at 2004 RM Auctions
High bid of $75,000 at 2008 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
Sold for $63,800 at 2008 RM Auctions
Lincoln was founded in 1920 by Henry Leland and the cars that bore its name quickly gained a reputation for outstanding quality and exceptionally well engineered. Two years after the introduction of the first model, the company was sold to the Ford Motor Company and positioned for the upscale market. The deal had been championed by Henry Ford's son Edsel.
In 1932, Lincoln introduced the Model KA and fitted them with V8 engines. They were offered in seven different standard body styles and priced lower than previous K models.
This example is a 2/4P Coupe and one of the finest still left in existence. It is all original and never been given a restoration. It is painted in two-tone beige and olive brown paintwork in the interior. The engine is the same one that was installed in the vehicle at the factory.
In 2008 this 1932 Lincoln Model KA V8 Coupe was brought to RM Auctions 'Vintage Motor Cars of Meadow Brook' where it was estimated to sell for $80,000-$110,000. As bidding came to a close, the lot would fail to find a buyer willing to satisfy the vehicles reserve. A high bid of $75,000 was close, yet not enough.By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2008
Company founder Henry Martyn Leland initially started Lincoln to build Liberty aero engines. He would eventually being to produce motorcars after the 1918 armistice. Designed to compete with the Cadillac, the Lincoln is a high end precision-made automobile.
By 1928 the Lincoln engine had been enlarged considerably, and for 1931 was heavily revised, incorporating five main bearings and a host of other improvements. This would include the first American use of a two-barrel, downdraft carburetor which raised maximum power from 90 to 120 horsepower. Lincoln's up-rated engine would go into an entirely new car, the Model K, built on a lengthened 145-inch wheelbase chassis.
1932 was a major year for Lincoln, with numerous changes throughout the lineup. All of their cars were restyled to keep a strong yet distinct family resemblance with the new 1932 Fords. Lincoln would offer two different models, the A engine model which would be called the KA, and the KB, which would receive the all-new V12 engine. Lincoln would work with a variety of coach builders over the years, including Dietrich, Murphy, LeBaron, Willoughby, Murray and others.
This example is powered by the venerable Lincoln V8 on a 136-inch wheelbase chassis. It is a restored example of the KA sedan with body by Murray. Murray was known for their dramatic styling, featuring the long sleek hood.
Becoming a vehicle that was known for luxury, the Lincoln underwent a total transformation in 1931. Re-powered, re-styled, and becoming lower-priced, this entire transformation was done under the censorship of Edsel Ford. The Lincoln Model K replaced the Model L, and only a total of forty five models were ever produced.
With an increased horsepower from 90 to 120, the newly added Stromberg carburetor increased the engine with 384.8 cubic inches. With a price significantly lower than any other Lincolns, the Model K 7-passenger Touring vehicle was used primarily as a limousine. Though at $4,400, the model K still cost ten times the amount of a Ford.
The largest updates were contained in the body style. The wheel base was now increased to 145 inches with a longer hood, and rounded bumpers which now gave it a low and sleek profile. Dual trumpet horns and large bowl-shaped head lights now gave the front a stunning look. Utilized mainly as a limousine, sales were less than half of what they were in the late 1920s due to the Depression.
A reflection of the earlier Ford Model K, the Lincoln K-series was a luxury vehicle line that was produced until 1942. A V12 became standard in 1933, while the original K-Series featured a 385 in³ (6.3 L) V8. The option of ordering a fully custom coachwork was available for customers.
Appearing on a new chassis in 1931, the original Model K had a 145 in (3683 mm) wheelbase. Available as a dual cowl model, factory bodies were a 2 or 4-door phaeton. A derivative of the earlier L-series 60° V8, the 384.8 in³ (6.3 L) engine had a dual downdraft Stromberg carburetors, altered timing upped power to 120 hp (89 kW), and higher compression.
Splitting into two lines in 1932, the Lincoln K-series featured the carryover Model KA and the new V12-powered Model KB. The engine output was pushed to 125 hp (93 kW) while the V8 car reverted to a 136 in (3454 mm) wheelbase. Producing 150 hp (112 kW), the KB featured the marque's new V12, 447.9 in³ (7.3 L) 65° L-head unit. These two new lines featured a new grille with less of a surround, and vent doors rather than vertical louvers on the sides of the hood. Both series also featured a parking light on top of each front fender and 18 inch wire wheels.
The Model KA V8 engine was replaced in 1933 with a new 381.7 in³ (6.3 L) V12. The large KB engine shared very few similarities with this new L-head engine. Only a few minor changes that were readily visible occurred on the 1933 K-series. The return of hood louvers and the deletion of the bar linking the headlights were by far the most obvious updates. The chassis was also revised, along with thermostatic shock absorbers and transmission.
In 1934, the V12 engines were replaced by a single 414 in³ (6.8 L) version of the updated model KA V12. The KA and KB nameplates now denoted the wheelbase only. For this year, the only styling updates included the replacement again of the louvers with doors on the side of the hood, and a body-colored grille surround.
For 1935, the Lincoln line was trimmed down considerable, as all vehicles where simply referred to as the Model K. Putting focus on the lofty over-$4,000 segment, the marque was attempting to improve profitability, though unfortunately limiting sales in the depression devastated US.
The following year, a more modern Lincoln Zephyr was debuted. Costing much less, the Model K's days were considerably numbered. However, despite its high $4700 price-tag, a 7-passenger Model K limousine was the marque's best-selling model for 1936. A new and improved raked windshield and pressed steel wheels were also part of this years update.
Continuing in production for the next five more years, the Model K unfortunately faced a decrease in sales in comparison to the more modern Zephyr and the new flagship Continental which became more appealing to buyers. Though production was mostly ended with the 1939 model year, one final Model K, the 1942 model was a one-off 'Sunshine Special' convertible limousine that was built especially for President Roosevelt.By Jessica Donaldson