|2008 Avalanche||2010 Avalanche|
Image credits: © Chevrolet. GM Corp
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche news, pictures, and information
2009 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE ADDS FUEL-SAVING SIX-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AND BLUETOOTH WIRELESS PHONE CONNECTION• Six-speed automatic transmission standard on all models
• 3.08 axle ratio
• New 20-inch chrome-clad wheel optional on LTZ
• OnStar 8.0 wîth Stolen Vehicle Slow Down, Turn-by-Turn navigation, and Destination Download to navigation radios
• Bluetooth connectivity wîth specific §teering wheel controls
• XM Satellite Radio wîth new real-time NavTraffic feature for navigation radios
• Available backup camera display in inside rearview mirror
• New cloth seat fabrics on LS and 1LT models
• Available heavy-duty trailering package wîth 3.42 axle ratio
• Fuel-saving 3.08 axle offered on 2WD models wîth 5.3L V-8
• Integrated brake controller
• LTZ Enhancements
• Heated and cooled seats 12-way power seats wîth perforated leather seating surfaces
• New body-side moldings wîth chrome accent
• New rear fascia wîth chrome accent and trailer hitch cover
• Brushed metal §teering wheel trim plate
• New sill plates wîth 'Chevrolet' embossed
• Centerpoint Surround Sound Bose speaker system
• New exterior colors: White Diamond Tricoat available on LTZ models, and Inferno Orange (available in January 2009)
• Titanium and Cashmere interiors now available on Z71 models
New Luxury Package available on 2LT models consisting of:
• Bose Premium speaker system
• Heated 10-way power seats wîth memory
• Auto-dimming outside mirrors wîth 'Razor-styled' turn signal display
• Auto-dimming inside mirror
Chevy Avalanche is the 's most flexible utility vehicle, combining the passenger-comfort attributes of an SÚV wîth the cargo capability of a truck. It is based on GM's full-size SÚV platform that features §egmènt-leading fuel economy and flex-fuel capability; a sharp, precise driving feel, interior refinement and notable quietness – it also has a maximum towing capacity of 8,100 pounds (3,674 kg).
Avalanche's efficiency is enhanced in '09 wîth the new, fuel-saving six-speed automatic transmission that is standard on all models. The advanced, Hydra-Matic 6L80 transmission helps deliver improved highway fuel mileage by incorporating two overdrive gears (fifth and sixth gears) that allow the engine to operate at a lower speed on the highway. Less fuel is used when the engine rpm is lowered, enhancing fuel economy. The lower engine speed also contributes to a quieter passenger environment.
'There's no other vehicle that offers the spaciousness and versatility of the Avalanche,' said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. 'With technologies such as Active Fuel Management and its high towing rating, the Avalanche delivers effortless capability wîth surprising efficiency.'
New technologies that enhance safety are also added to the Avalanche for 2009, including Bluetooth wireless phone connectivity wîth specific §teering wheel controls, and an available rear camera system that can be displayed in either the inside review mirror or the Navigation display depending on radio choice. These new features complement an already strong package of standard safety items, such as head curtain side-impact air bags and StabiliTrak electronic stability control system.
New features for 2009
In addition to the new six-speed automatic transmission, a host of new features and revisions across the lineup gives Avalanche customers more choices. The changes for '09 include the following:
• New 20-inch chrome-clad wheel – This new wheel design is available on LTZ models
• New exterior colors – White Diamond Tricoat is available on LTZ; Inferno Orange replaces Sunburst Orange and later in the model year, Dark Brahma Jewel will be available in limited quantity
• OnStar 8.0 – The latest-generation OnStar system offers advanced features, including Stolen Vehicle Slow Down, Turn-by-Turn Navigation, and new Destination Download that automatic downloads requested directions to the navigation system
• Bluetooth connectivity – This wireless technology enables safer, hands-free calling, wîth specific §teering wheel controls through either OnStar or a Bluetooth-enabled phone
• XM Satellite Radio wîth NavTraffic – Available wîth the standard XM Satellite Radio service, the new NavTraffic feature delivers real-time traffic advisements and route suggestions into the optional navigation system
LTZ Enhancements – Standard on LTZ models:
• Heated and cooled 12-way power memory seats
• Perforated leather-trimmed seating surfaces
• New body-side moldings wîth chrome accent strip
• New rear fascia wîth chrome accent strip and trailer hitch cover
• Centerpoint Surround Sound Bose speaker system
• New sill plates wîth embossed 'Chevrolet' logo
• New outside mirror glass – A new 'Razor' LED design for the turn signals is incorporated in the mirror glass for LTZ models and 2LT models wîth the luxury package
• Integrated brake controller – Integrated wîth the ABS system, this optional feature provides immediate and measured brake force signaling to electric-controlled trailer brake systems; there is no requirement for external and/or aftermarket brake control systems
• Heavy-duty trailering package – Provides enhanced cooling capacity to deliver maximum towing capability wîth the 3.42 axle ratio
• Fuel-saving 3.08 axle ratio – New base axle for 2WD models that delivers real-world highway fuel economy improvement
Additionally, several changes have been made to previous Avalanche packages and content. They include:
• Twenty-inch polished wheels are available on 1LT and 2LT
• Two rearview camera options: The rearview camera display is included in the inside rearview mirror on models without the navigation radio and on the navigation display for models wîth the navigation radio
• Navigation radio now offered on 1LT
• New fabric for cloth seat trim
• Z71 models now include body-color door handles and mirror caps, as well as a bright chrome grille insert
• Titanium and Cashmere interior options are now available on Z71 models
New luxury package available on 2LT models consisting of:
• Bose premium speaker system
• Heated leather-trimmed seats wîth 10-way power seat adjusters
• Auto-dimming outside mirror wîth new 'Razor-style' turn signal display
• Auto-dimming inside mirror
• Avalanche lineup
The Avalanche is available in LS, LT and LTZ models, wîth 2WD and 4WD. The standard powertrain includes an efficient 5.3L V-8 wîth Active Fuel Management™ technology that seamlessly switches from eight-cylinder to four-cylinder operation to save fuel. (concept carz) A 6.0L V-8 engine wîth Active Fuel Management and variable valve timing (VVT) is also available, giving Avalanche customers more choices for selecting a vehicle that has the capability they demand. Several of Avalanche's engines are FlexFuel-capable, meaning they can run on E85 ethanol-based fuel. (concept carz)
Also available is the popular Z71 Off Road appearance package. This optional package includes the Z71 Off Road suspension wîth high-pressure, gas-charged monotube shocks, 18-inch on/off road tires, automatic-locking differential, front recovery hooks, a durable skid plate and high-capacity air cleaner. Large, color-keyed wheel flares, an aggressive front fascia and satin chrome tubular assist steps, and bright chrome front grille insert provide a one-of-a kind appearance. On the inside are leather-appointed bucket seats that are available in solid Ebony, Cashmere or Titanium.
Avalanche's unparalleled flexibility enables it to function as an SÚV, truck or both, thanks to the exclusive Midgate. Pioneered on the first-generation Avalanche, the Midgate opens to extend the cargo-carrying capability from the cargo bed's 5-foot-3-inch-long (1.6 m) length to 8 feet 2 inches (2.5 m). The rear seat must be folded to achieve maximum storage capability; wîth the rear seat up and the Midgate closed, Avalanche has room for up to six passengers.
When the Midgate is open and the rear seat is folded flat, Avalanche can carry 4-foot by 8-foot (1.2 m by 2.4 m) sheets of plywood wîth the tailgate closed. Storage compartments alongside the cargo box provide ample and lockable storage. The storage compartments also have drains, so they can be filled wîth ice and used as coolers. A three-piece rigid cargo cover wîth interlocking panels also is available.
Avalanche's flexible attributes also include a central-locking tailgate and cargo cover retaining straps. Also, the tailgate is spring-loaded to reduce the effort needed to open or close it.
Avalanche is powered by the small-block V-8 family. Standard on 2WD models is an iron-block Vortec 5.3L V-8 wîth 320 horsepower (239 kW)* and 340 lb.-ft. of torque (461 Nm)*, which offers Active Fuel Management.
At the beginning of the 2009 model year, Avalanche comes wîth a 5.3L aluminum-block V-8 as standard on 4WD models, delivering 310 horsepower (231 kW)* and 335 lb.-ft. (454 Nm)* of torque. Shortly after start-up production, the standard engine will change to a 5.3L iron-block V-8 wîth 320 horsepower (239 kW) and 340 lb.-ft. of torque (461 Nm), wîth Active Fuel Management and FlexFuel capability.
Two versions of the Vortec 5.3L V-8 are compatible wîth E85, a renewable fuel made of 85 percent ethyl alcohol (ethanol) and 15 percent gasoline.
An all-aluminum 6.0L V-8 wîth variable valve timing (VVT), as well as Active Fuel Management, is available on 2WD and 4WD models. It is rated at 366 horsepower (273 kW).* Variable valve timing helps optimize camshaft timing to improve low-rpm torque and high-rpm horsepower. The system is enabled by a unique dual-equal cam phaser that adjusts the camshaft timing at the same rate for both the intake and exhaust valves.
All of Avalanche's engines are matched wîth a new, fuel-saving Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission. (posted on conceptcarz.com)
Interior refinement and convenience
Avalanche's interior represents a high level of refinement, comfort, quality and convenience. It is roomy and airy, thanks to a low instrument panel and deep windshield that improve outward visibility.
Avalanche's front seats are designed to provide comfort and easy entry/egress. Door pillar-mounted first-row three-point safety belts facilitate a slim seat design, which helps enhances cargo space behind the seats. Comfort comes from firm seat foams, including aggressive bolsters. The rear seat is unique to the Avalanche and enables easy access to the Midgate system. The seat folds flat, allowing longer items to be carried between the cargo bed and into the rear passenger compartment.
Avalanche's spacious interior creates an environment that exudes quality and precision. Flush-mounted accessories and controls, such as the climate control/radio center stack, create a seamless, 'single unit' appearance. Also, there are almost no exposed metal hardware or latches, as all models feature enclosing 'close-outs' around the seat bottoms and door sill trim plates. Comfort features include an efficient HVAC system, and generous storage capability – wîth the §egmènt's largest center console storage bin, a large glove box and numerous storage compartments. Avalanche also offers a host of available convenience features, including:
• Últrasonic Rear Parking Assist
• Remote vehicle starting
• Driver information center
• Dual-zone automatic HVAC
• Rain Sense wiper system
• Rearview camera system
• Touch-screen navigation system
DVD rear-seat entertainment system wîth eight-inch screen that can play videos stored on iPods
Avalanche also features an impressive audio/navigation lineup, which provides quality entertainment and information. GM's family of CD/MP3-compatible radios leads the audio lineup, wîth an available DVD entertainment system that includes an eight-inch screen (with in-dash loading). A touch-screen navigation radio is available and incorporates the monitor for the rearview camera system.
|Engine : 5.3 L., 8-cylinder|
Power: 310 hp
Torque: 335 ft-lbs
Engine : 6.0 L., 8-cylinder
Power: 366 hp
Torque: 376 ft-lbs
Avalanche's front end styling reflects its capability. It includes the fast-rake windshield; a power dome hood; a prominent fender design wîth integrated wheel flares; bold grille and headlamps; and a full-wrap fascia. The wraparound fascia eliminates the conventional bumper-to-body gap and is one of the numerous attributes that gives the Avalanche its refined look. It also enhances aerodynamics.
Avalanche offers a range of 17-inch and 20-inch wheels. Seventeen-inch wheels and tires are standard, wîth 20-inch factory-installed wheels available (standard on LTZ; available on LT). The larger wheels fill Avalanche's wheelhouses, giving the vehicle a confident stance.
Avalanche also offers convenient power-articulating running boards on LTZ models, which blend smoothly wîth the vehicle's design. They automatically move downward and outward when the doors are opened, providing a lower step-in height.
Numerous Chevy Accessories are available for Avalanche:
• Seven styles of 20-inch chrome wheels, including the new D20 wheels that were developed in concert wîth DÚB magazine
• Three styles of 22-inch chrome wheels, including the new D22 that were developed in concert wîth DÚB magazine
• Personal Audio Link that allows radio controls to be used for iPods and other MP3 players
• Six-inch chrome assist steps
• Chrome recovery hooks, door handles, mirror caps and fuel doors
• Power tonneau cover
• Custom grille wîth chrome bars
• Grille brush guard
• Bed extender
• Cat-back exhaust systems
• Taillamp guards
• Portable DVD players
• Full-size SÚV foundation
Avalanche is built on GM's full-size SÚV platform, which incorporates features such as a fully boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension, rack-and-pinion §teering and a premium interior system that bolster the vehicle's comfort, quality and capability. Wide front and rear tracks enhance handling and vehicle stability for a more confident road feel.
A stiff frame reduces vibrations transmitted to the passenger cabin, while the strength and accuracy of the fully boxed frame also enable precise mounting and tuning of chassis and suspension components. Even the tires on the large, 17-inch and 20-inch wheels were designed to reduce noise.
Noise-reducing components and materials are used throughout the body structure, including the headliner material, door seals and front-of-dash area. The engines also feature a quiet-tuned alternator and an acoustically tuned engine cover that reduce engine noise heard inside the vehicle. The door seals help reduce seal 'pull-away' at highway speeds, which can cause wind noise.
Avalanche's quietness and smoothness are complemented by the Autoride suspension system, which is standard on LTZ. This §egmènt-exclusive bi-state, real-time damping system provides an extremely refined ride wîth greatly reduced body motion. The system consists of a semi-active, two-position damping control system that responds in real time to road and driving conditions, based on body and wheel motion sensors.
Avalanche offers up to 8,100 pounds (3,676 kg) of towing capability, when properly equipped, enhancing its flexible, ready-for-anything capability.
The Avalanche offers security in the form of a 360-degree safety system of occupant protection and crash-avoidance technologies. Features include standard head curtain side air bags wîth rollover protection for both rows and front-seat safety belt pretensioners that are linked to the vehicle's sensing system to provide §egmènt-exclusive deployment in rear-end crashes.
The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment. These head curtain side air bags stay inflated longer than air bags developed only for side impacts, since rollover incidents can last longer. The deployment duration and other design features of the air bags combine to provide increased occupant protection and the ability to help keep occupants inside the vehicle.
Sensors located at the front of the vehicle, in the side doors, and within the occupant compartment provide increased and more immediate crash detection. The vehicle's sensing system provides -exclusive capability to deploy front seat safety belt pretensioners during certain rear-end collisions, enhancing the belt system's ability to hold the occupants firmly in place.
Crash avoidance is bolstered through strong design and driver control dynamics, such as wide front and rear tracks, as well as responsive suspensions – including a standard coil-over-shock front suspension design and rack-and-pinion §teering. Avalanche's fully boxed frame contributes to enhanced crash energy management. The front frame section has been designed to optimize crush progression, resulting in energy absorption efficiency. The improved crush performance, enabled by hydroformed frame rails and efficient chassis component packaging, also comprehends design provisions that help improve vehicle-to-vehicle compatibility in the event of a frontal impact wîth a smaller vehicle.
Additional safety features include:
• Standard StabiliTrak stability control system wîth rollover mitigation technology
• Standard dual-stage driver front air bag
• Standard dual-stage outboard-front passenger air bag wîth passenger sensing system
• Standard tire pressure monitoring system
• Available rain-sensing wiper system
• Available Últrasonic Rear Parking Assist that can detect certain stationary objects in the rearward path of the vehicle and send an audible warning sound and display via three LEDs near the rear window
• Available rearview camera system designed to provide the driver wîth a view of people or objects in the rearward path of the vehicle
• Standard pull-up/push-down power window switches
LS models come standard wîth OnStar and a one-year Safe & Sound service plan; LT and LTZ models come wîth a one-year Directions & Connections plan that features Turn-By-Turn Navigation. OnStar includes the General Motors Advanced Crash Response System, making crash data available to emergency services to potentially dispatch the appropriate life-saving personnel and equipment to crash scenes faster. If the vehicle is in a crash that activates an air bag, the OnStar system automatically notifies an OnStar advisor, who will check on the occupants or summon emergency help if necessary. OnStar also can assist authorities in locating a vehicle if it is reported stolen (ability to locate stolen vehicles varies wîth conditions).
*SAE certified. Source - Chevrolet
|2014 Sierra'S New 4.3L Tops In Standard V-6 Pickup Torque|
|When the all-new 2014 GMC Sierra full-size pickup arrives this summer, its standard 4.3L EcoTec V-6 it will offer the most torque of any standard V-6 in the segment – 305 lb-ft (413 Nm). Buyers will choose from three new, advanced EcoTec3 engines – a 5.3L available at launch, followed by the 4.3L and 6.2L versions available later this year. All are designed specifically for the high trailering and hauling demands unique to truck buyers. Torque is the turning force that generates off-the-li...[Read more...]|
|Land Rover Celebrates 65 Years Of Technology And Innovation|
|SIXTY-FIVE YEARS OF LAND ROVER From our earliest days, the desire to create a vehicle that will tackle any terrain has made Land Rover famous around the world. Over the past 65 years, the Land Rover family has grown into the highly respected range of vehicles that are sold in record numbers today. As Land Rover continues to go from strength to strength, we thought it was time to look back at the milestones in our history that have got us here. The last 65 years have been an adventure. ...[Read more...]|
|Kia Motors Announces Pricing For All-New 2014 Cadenza Premium Sedan|
|Kia's Flagship Sedan Offers Premium Amenities at a Starting Price of $35,1001 MSRP
• The most powerful and technologically advanced Kia in the U.S. market is defined by European-influenced styling and extraordinary levels of refinement and amenities
• Cadenza features class-leading interior room2 and is offered in one trim level with two available option packages
IRVINE, Calif., April 19, 2013 – Kia Motors America (KMA) is pleased to announce pricing for its most powerful and ...[Read more...]
|2014 MAZDA6 NAMED TO WARD'S ‘10 BEST INTERIORS' LIST|
|The all-new 2014 Mazda6 today was named to WardsAuto World's 10 Best Interiors list, as chosen by the publication's editors. The redesigned mid-size sports sedan features Mazda's new design language called KODO 'Soul of Motion,' which translates muscular movement and power into agile proportions, detailed sculpting and expressive character. The Mazda6 also was recently named one of the top three vehicle designs in the world for 2013 by the World Car Awards. 'The automotive industry, regardl...[Read more...]|
|JEEP® AT THE 2013 GENEVA INTERNATIONAL MOTOR SHOW|
|•European premiere of the new Jeep® Grand Cherokee 2014: the most awarded Large SUV ever has been renewed in terms of internal and external design, technological contents and performance thanks to the new eight-speed automatic transmission •European debut for the new Jeep Compass 2014: revised interior and exterior design, new PowerTech six-speed automatic transmission and all-new safety features •European preview of the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary Edition: the new special-edition...[Read more...]|
|Lexus RX 350||($37,700-42,980)|
|Similarly Sized Vehicles from 2009|
|Acura ZDX Concept|
|Aston Martin LeMans LMP1|
|Audi R15 TDI|
|Audi R8 LMS|
|Bugatti 16.4 Veyron Centenaire Edition|
|Bugatti 16.4 Veyron Grand Sport|
|Other models by Chevrolet|
|Vehicle Recall Information|
|2008 Avalanche||2010 Avalanche|