Sold for $39,600 at 2008 RM Auctions. The 1942 Cadillac was dramatically restyled and introduced to the public in September of 1941. The streamlined design theme continued its evolution with the addition of elliptical front fenders extending deeply into the front doors. There were bullet-shaped front bumper extensions which were later given the nickname 'Dagmars.'
This 1942 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Club Coupe was built on December 7th of 1941, the same day the Japanese attaked Pearl Harbor. On February 4th of 1942, civilian automobile production was halted and the American workforce was redirected to concentrate on the war-time effort.
This car is an original and unrestored example that has been driven 34,700 miles since new. There have been only two owners for this car prior to its acquisition at the 2008 auction. It is painted in Marlboro Blue and wears a replacement convertible top that it was given in the early 1960s. There are running boards, which were a no-cost option, a locking gas cap, and windshield washer. The convertible top and the radio antenna are both operated by a vacuum-cylinder system.
The interior has blue and beige upholstery and is well equipped with a radio, heater and defroster, and a Deluxe steering wheel with a day-night rearview mirror. The car is powered by a 346 cubic-inch V8 engine and mated to a Hydra-Matic Drive transmission with four forward speeds.
In 2008, this car was brought to the 2nd Annual Vintage Motor Cars of Hershey presented by RM Auctions where it was estimated to sell for $35,000 - $45,000. It was offered without reserve. Those estimates were proven accurate when bidding reached $39,600. The lot was sold. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2008
Sold for $60,500 at 2009 RM Auctions. The streamlined design theme continued its evolution on all Cadillac models in 1942, except on the large Series 75. There were elliptical front fenders extending deeply into the front doors, with a pair of bullet-shaped front bumper extensions (later nicknamed 'Dagmars' during the 1950s) made their first appearance on the front of a Cadillac. The basic 'egg-crate' grille design now displayed a more massive styling theme with fewer but larger bars. There was more generous trunk area, enlarged seats and additional floor space. The Convertible Club Coupe came equipped with an electrically powered convertible top mechanism.
Total Cadillac production amounted to just 16,513 units in 1942, with just 4,961 Series 62 models produced. Of those, an estimated 300 Convertible Club Coupes were built.
This car has been given a complete engine rebuild and traveled just over 2,000 miles since that time. It has completed several CCCA tours and was shown under CCCA scrutiny in 2008. The car has a back up light and a radio, a heater and a clock.
In 2009, this car was brought to RM Auctions 'Vintage Motor Cars of Meadow Brook' where it was estimated to sell for $60,000-$70,000. As bidding came to a close, the lot had been sold for the sum of $60,500, including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2009
Any car built in 1942 is rare due to the short production year after the Pearl Harbor bombing in December 1941. Production for the public stopped January 15, 1942. Black out models were built for the military until February 2, 1942. 2,150 of these cars were built before production was stopped. Body number 286 was one of 515 built and was sold to Shaw Motor Company in Minneapolis, MN.
The Harley Earl designed Cadillac Series 62 was a very large vehicle that featured a large, 6,390 cc (390 cubic inch) V-8 engine. The back had large fins that did little for performance and handling but was all about the style of the vehicle. The design of the vehicle was inspired by the space program and the era of jet engines. The large, 4400 lb car was fitted with drum brakes. These often wore out quickly. If a U-turn needed to be made, the driver would need a parking lot. The turning radius was 24 feet.
The name 'DeVille' would first be used in 1949 on the Coupe De Ville, and later on the 1956 Sedan deVille. The 1942, 1946 and 1947 versions were similar; they were completely different from the 1941 bodystyles.
The car was a luxury vehicle that could carry six individuals comfortably. The car was a convertible with the top being raised and lowered automatically. The interior had electrical gauges. The head lights would turn on at dusk and were also capable of switching from high beam to low beam when they sensed oncoming traffic. In total, there were eight lights on the front of the vehicle. The four on the top were the driving lights while the lights mounted on the bumper were the parking lamps. To add to the driving comfort, air suspension was used. This aided in providing a very soft ride but there was significant body roll when cornering. With the V8, it was capable of creeping to sixty in 11 seconds. This reinforced the notion that this Cadillac was built for comfort and not for speed. The drivers enjoyed the ride and they looked good cruising along, enjoying the large open road. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2008
The latest technology for the AMG off-road icon: the new 2014 G63 AMG impresses with a state-of-the-art powertrain, expressive new design and improved efficiency. All this is largely attributable to the...