Image credits: © Chevrolet. GM Corp
2009 Chevrolet Tahoe news, pictures, and information
2009 CHEVROLET TAHOE OFFERS NEW FUEL-SAVING SIX-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AND BLUETOOTH WIRELESS PHONE CONNECTIONAs the 's best-selling full-size SÚV, Chevrolet Tahoe continues to offer great spaciousness and towing capability wîth a precise driving feel, robust performance and impeccable interior refinement and quietness. It also delivers the §egmènt's best fuel mileage – a standing that is solidified in 2009 wîth the introduction of a new, six-speed automatic transmission. (posted on conceptcarz.com)
The new Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed is standard on models wîth the Vortec 5.3L V-8 and a new 6.2L V-8. It enhances real world fuel economy on the highway via reduced engine speed, as the engine requires less fuel to operate at a lower 'cruising' speed. Also, quietness in the interior is enhanced wîth the lower-rpm cruising.
'We're continually improving the Tahoe and the new six-speed automatic is a great example,' said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. 'It improves fuel economy while delivering a high-quality feel that bolsters the Tahoe's overall feeling of quality.'
For the ultimate full-size SÚV fuel economy, customers can select the Tahoe Hybrid. It employs GM's patented two-mode hybrid system to deliver a 50-percent improved fuel mileage in city driving. Please see the separate Tahoe Hybrid release for complete details.
A Vortec 6.2L is new for 2009, too, and is offered on LTZ models. It features a lightweight aluminum block and variable valve timing; and it is the most powerful engine in the Tahoe's lineup. It is rated at 395 horsepower (295 kW) wîth 417 lb.-ft. of torque (565 Nm).
All Tahoe models are built on GM's full-size SÚV platform that incorporates features such as a fully boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension, rack-and-pinion §teering and a premium interior that bolsters the vehicle's comfort, quality and capability. Wide front and rear tracks enhance handling and lower the center of gravity for a more confident road feel.
The Tahoe is available in LS, LT, LTZ and Hybrid models, wîth 2WD and 4WD.
New for 2009
In addition to the new six-speed automatic transmission and the 6.2L V-8, numerous new features and revisions across the lineup gives customers more choices. They include:
• New 20-inch chrome-clad wheel – This new wheel design is available on LTZ models
• New exterior colors – White Diamond Tricoat and Red Jewel Tintcoat are offered on LTZ models; and Dark Brahma Jewel will be available in limited quantity.
• OnStar 8.0 – The latest-generation OnStar system offers advanced features, including Stolen Vehicle Slow Down, Turn-by-Turn Navigation and new, Destination Download that automatically downloads requested directions to the Tahoe's navigation system
• Bluetooth connectivity – This wireless technology enables safer, hands-free calling wîth specific §teering wheel controls through either OnStar or a Bluetooth-enabled phone
• XM Satellite Radio wîth NavTraffic – Available wîth the standard XM Satellite Radio service, the new NavTraffic feature delivers real-time traffic advisements and route suggestions into the optional navigation system
LTZ Enhancements – Standard on 2009 LTZ models:
• Heated and cooled 12-way memory seats
• Perforated, leather-trimmed seating surfaces
• New body-side moldings wîth chrome accent
• New rear fascia wîth chrome accent and trailer hitch cover
• Brushed metal §teering wheel trim plate
• New sill plates wîth 'Chevrolet' embossed logo
• Centerpoint Surround Sound Bose speaker system
• Side Blind Zone Alert System – Optional on LTZ, this safety system uses radar sensors located in the corners of the rear fascia to that signal a visual alert in the outside mirrors when objects are detected in 'blind zones'
• Two rearview camera options – The rearview camera display is included in the inside rearview mirror on models without the navigation radio and on the navigation display for models wîth the navigation radio
• Navigation radio now offered on 1LT
• New fabric for cloth seat trim
• Z71 exterior changes – body-color door handles and mirror caps, as well as a bright chrome grille insert are now part of the package
• Titanium and Cashmere interior options are now available on Z71 models
New 'Luxury' package available on 2LT models consisting of:
• Bose premium speaker system
• Heated 10-way power seats wîth memory
• Heated second-row seats
• Second-row power seat release
• Power liftgate
• Auto-dimming outside mirrors wîth 'Razor-styled' turn signal display
• Auto-dimming inside mirror
• Integrated brake controller – Integrated wîth the ABS system, it provides immediate and measured brake force signaling to electric-controlled trailer brake systems; there is no requirement for external and/or aftermarket brake control systems
• Heavy-duty trailering package – Provides enhanced cooling capacity to deliver maximum towing capability wîth 3.42 axle ratio
• Fuel-saving 3.08 axle ratio – New axle for 2WD models equipped wîth the 5.3L V-8 delivers real-world fuel economy improvements
Additionally, there are several changes to existing models and content packages, including:
• Auto-dimming mirror standard on LTZ models and 2LT models wîth the luxury package
• Navigation system is now available on 1LT
• New seat fabric for models wîth cloth trim
Z71 Off Road package
The popular Z71 Off Road appearance package returns for 2009. It includes the Z71 Off Road suspension wîth high-pressure, gas-charged monotube shocks, 18-inch on/off-road tires, automatic-locking rear differential, front recovery hooks, a durable skid plate and a high-capacity air cleaner. Large, color-keyed fender flares, an aggressive front fascia and satin chrome tubular assist steps, and bright chrome front grille insert provide a distinctive appearance.
Inside, a brushed metal-look replaces wood grain accents for a more rugged appearance. Also included are leather-appointed bucket seats that are available in solid Ebony, Cashmere or Titanium.
The Tahoe's design is lean and agile lòòking, wîth large wheels and a wide track enhancing Tahoe's powerful, capable stance. Sleek aerodynamics contribute to the look, wîth a steeply raked windshield and smooth roofline that enhances aerodynamics.
Tahoe features the global face of Chevrolet wîth a large Chevy gold bowtie, centered on a twin-port horizontal grille. The body-color grille surround is inset wîth an argent texture or available chrome mesh. Fog lamps and headlamps feature jewel-like optics. The lower fascia, incorporating the front license plate holder and integrated recovery hooks, is aggressively styled wîth a skid plate look that enhances Tahoe's rugged, off-road appearance.
Also complementing Tahoe's sporty appearance is an assortment of 17-inch and 20-inch wheels. Seventeen-inch wheels and tires are standard, wîth 20-inch factory-installed wheels available (standard on LTZ). The larger wheels give the vehicle a more confident stance.
Tahoe also offers power articulated running boards on LTZ models. They blend smoothly wîth the vehicle's design, but automatically move downward and outward when the doors are opened, providing a lower step-in height.
Numerous Chevy Accessories are available for Tahoe.
• Seven styles of 20-inch chrome wheels, including the new D20 wheels that were developed in concert wîth DÚB magazine
• Three styles of 22-inch chrome wheels, including the new D22 wheels that were developed in concert wîth DÚB magazine
• Personal Audio Link that allows radio controls to be used for iPods and other MP3 players
• Six-inch chrome assist steps
• Chrome recovery hooks, door handles, mirror caps and fuel doors
• Custom grille wîth chrome bars
• Grille brush guard
• Cat-back exhaust systems
• Taillamp guards
• Portable DVD players
|Engine : 4.8 L., 8-cylinder|
Power: 295 hp
Torque: 305 ft-lbs
Engine : 6.2 L., 8-cylinder
Power: 395 hp
Torque: 417 ft-lbs
Engine : 5.3 L., 8-cylinder
Power: 320 hp
Torque: 340 ft-lbs
• Power-release fold-and-tumble second-row seat
• Remote vehicle starting system
• Driver information center
• Dual-zone automatic climate control
• RainSense wiper system
• First- and second-row heated seats
• Últrasonic Rear Parking Assist
• Rearview camera system
• Touch-screen navigation system
DVD rear-seat entertainment system wîth eight-inch screen that can play videos stored on iPods
Refinement throughout Tahoe's spacious interior creates an environment that exudes quality and precision, as well as comfort. A two-tone color scheme offers softer and low-gloss materials for the instrument panel and other trim pieces.
Additional details include LED backlighting for the instruments and chrome accents on instruments and vents. Flush-mounted accessories and controls, such as the climate control/radio center stack, create a seamless, 'single unit' appearance. Also, there are almost no exposed metal hardware or latches, as all models feature enclosing 'close-outs' around the seat bottoms and door sill trim plates.
Smoothness and quietness
Tahoe features a stiff, fully boxed frame, which reduces vibrations transmitted to the passenger cabin. The strength and accuracy of the frame also enable more precise mounting and tuning of chassis and suspension components, which also help reduce vibration. Even the tires on the large, 17-inch standard and 20-inch available wheels were designed to reduce noise.
Noise-reducing components and materials are used throughout the body structure, including the headliner material, door seals and front-of-dash area. The engine also features a quiet-tuned alternator and an acoustically tuned engine cover that dramatically reduces engine noise heard inside the vehicle. Specific door seals help reduce seal 'pull away' at highway speeds, which can cause wind noise. Also, Tahoe's slippery shape, including streamlined exterior mirrors and roof rack, and tighter body gap tolerances, makes Tahoe quieter as it slices through the air.
Tahoe's quietness and smoothness are complemented by the Autoride suspension system, which is standard on LTZ. This §egmènt-exclusive bi-state, real-time damping system provides an extremely refined ride wîth greatly reduced body motion. The system consists of a semi-active, two-position damping control system that responds in real time to road and driving conditions, based on body and wheel motion sensors.
A small-block V-8 family powers the Tahoe lineup. Fuel-saving Active Fuel Management technology also enables better fuel economy. When combined wîth other vehicle-wide features, including improved aerodynamics, the small-block V-8 helps give the Tahoe the §egmènt's best fuel economy.
A Vortec 5.3L V-8 wîth 320 horsepower (239 kW)* and 340 lb.-ft. of torque (461 Nm)* offering Active Fuel Management technology and E85 capability is standard in 4WD models. A Vortec 4.8L V-8 is standard on Tahoe 2WD base models.
Available on Tahoe LTZ is an all-aluminum 6.2L V-8 wîth variable valve timing (VVT). It is rated at 395 horsepower (295 kW).* VVT helps optimize camshaft timing to improve low-rpm torque and high-rpm horsepower. The system is enabled by a unique cam phaser that adjusts the camshaft timing at the same rate for both the intake and exhaust valves.
The Tahoe's transmissions deliver a balance between effortless capability and efficiency. They include a four-speed automatic wîth the 2WD base model's 4.8L engine and a new, fuel-saving six-speed automatic wîth the 5.3L and 6.2L engines.
Safety and security
The Tahoe features a 360-degree perimeter safety system of occupant protection and crash avoidance technologies. Standard features include head curtain side air bags wîth rollover protection for all seating rows and front-seat safety belt pretensioners that are linked to the vehicle's sensing system to provide §egmènt-exclusive deployment in rear-end crashes.
The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment. These head curtain side air bags stay inflated longer than air bags developed only for side impacts, since rollover incidents can last longer. The deployment duration and other design features of the air bags combine to provide increased occupant protection and the ability to help keep occupants inside the vehicle. Sensors located at the front of the vehicle, in the side doors and within the occupant compartment provide increased and more immediate crash detection.
Crash avoidance is bolstered through enhanced design and driver control dynamics, such as wider front and rear tracks, as well as more responsive suspensions – including a new coil-over-shock front suspension design and new rack-and-pinion §teering. The vehicles are built on a stronger and stiffer, fully boxed frame that contributes to enhanced crash energy management. The front frame section has been designed to optimize crush progression, resulting in improved energy absorption efficiency. The improved crush performance, enabled by hydroformed frame rails and efficient chassis component packaging, also comprehends design provisions for improved vehicle-to-vehicle compatibility in the event of a frontal impact wîth a smaller vehicle.
Additional safety and security features include:
• Standard StabiliTrak stability control system wîth rollover mitigation technology
• Standard dual-stage driver front air bag
• Standard dual-stage outboard-front passenger air bag wîth Passenger Sensing System
• Standard front seat safety belt pretensioners wîth rear-impact deployment capability
• Standard tire pressure monitoring system
• Available rain-sensing wiper system
• Available Últrasonic Rear Parking Assist that can detect certain stationary objects in the rearward path of the vehicle and send an audible warning sound and display via three LEDs on the right D-pillar
• Available rearview camera system designed to provide the driver wîth a view of people or objects in the rearward path of the vehicle
• Available side blind zone alert
• Standard pull-up/push-down power window switches
All models come wîth the OnStar system. The system includes the Advanced Crash Response System system, making crash data available to emergency services to potentially dispatch the appropriate life-saving personnel and equipment to crash scenes faster. If the vehicle is in a crash that activates an air bag, the OnStar system automatically notifies an OnStar advisor, who will check on the occupants or summon emergency help if necessary.
*SAE certified. Source - Chevrolet
|2014 Sierra Denali Pairs High-Tech Luxury And Capability|
|DETROIT – An all-new 2014 Sierra 1500 Denali full-size pickup arrives this fall with an available 6.2L EcoTec3 V-8 that will produce an estimated 420 horsepower and 450 lb-ft of torque, the most power and torque of any light duty truck engine. Final SAE-rated power and torque numbers will be available later this year. Now entering its third generation, the Sierra Denali is the most luxurious and technologically advanced GMC half-ton pickup. Sierra's 6.2L V-8 will also be available f...[Read more...]|
|2014 Sierra'S New 4.3L Tops In Standard V-6 Pickup Torque|
|When the all-new 2014 GMC Sierra full-size pickup arrives this summer, its standard 4.3L EcoTec V-6 it will offer the most torque of any standard V-6 in the segment – 305 lb-ft (413 Nm). Buyers will choose from three new, advanced EcoTec3 engines – a 5.3L available at launch, followed by the 4.3L and 6.2L versions available later this year. All are designed specifically for the high trailering and hauling demands unique to truck buyers. Torque is the turning force that generates off-the-li...[Read more...]|
|Land Rover Celebrates 65 Years Of Technology And Innovation|
|SIXTY-FIVE YEARS OF LAND ROVER From our earliest days, the desire to create a vehicle that will tackle any terrain has made Land Rover famous around the world. Over the past 65 years, the Land Rover family has grown into the highly respected range of vehicles that are sold in record numbers today. As Land Rover continues to go from strength to strength, we thought it was time to look back at the milestones in our history that have got us here. The last 65 years have been an adventure. ...[Read more...]|
|2014 MAZDA6 NAMED TO WARD'S ‘10 BEST INTERIORS' LIST|
|The all-new 2014 Mazda6 today was named to WardsAuto World's 10 Best Interiors list, as chosen by the publication's editors. The redesigned mid-size sports sedan features Mazda's new design language called KODO 'Soul of Motion,' which translates muscular movement and power into agile proportions, detailed sculpting and expressive character. The Mazda6 also was recently named one of the top three vehicle designs in the world for 2013 by the World Car Awards. 'The automotive industry, regardl...[Read more...]|
|VOLKSWAGEN CLAIMS BEST HIGHWAY FUEL EFFICIENCY, WITH SEVEN MODELS THAT ACHIEVE MORE THAN 40 MPG|
|• New Jetta Hybrid earns EPA fuel economy rating of up to 48 mpg; the first compact hybrid available with a turbocharged engine|
Herndon, VA - With EPA estimated fuel economy ratings of 48 mpg on the highway, 42 mpg in the city, and a combined rating of 45 mpg, the Jetta Hybrid becomes the most fuel-efficient vehicle in the Volkswagen lineup and the seventh model capable of more than 40 mpg on the highway. With sales of the Jetta Hybrid beginning later this month, Volkswagen wil...[Read more...]
|Land Rover LR2||($35,375-35,375)|
|Lexus RX 350||($37,700-42,980)|
|Volvo XC 90||($37,000-50,800)|
|Similarly Sized Vehicles from 2009|
|Acura ZDX Concept|
|Aston Martin LeMans LMP1|
|Audi R15 TDI|
|Audi R8 LMS|
|Other models by Chevrolet|
|Vehicle Recall Information|