Jaguar created a sensation when the XK120 was launched in October of 148. It was a true 120 MPH sports car with 160 horsepower from a 3.4-liter double-overhead cam engine. A total of 12,055 units of the XK model were produced.
The first restoration of this car was completed in 1977 at a cost of $5,000 and the death of four parts cars. The second restoration was completed over a four-year period by Jaguar South. It is a true driver and has never gone more than two weeks without a good workout. The current owner purchased this car in 1973 for $400.
Sold for $80,300 at 2007 RM Auctions. This 1953 Jaguar XK 120 was offered for sale at the 2007 RM Auctions held in Amelia Island, Florida where it was estimated to sell between $80,000 - $100,000. It was offered without reserve. It is powered by a 3442cc twin-overhead am inline six-cylinder engine capable of producing 160 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel drum brakes.
The XK 120 model line was first introduced at the 1948 Earls Court Motor Show. Originally, only two-hundred examples were to be produced. After its public appearance, and seeing the interest in the vehicle, William Lyons, Jaguars Founder, ordered tooling for steel bodywork so these cars could be produced in larger quantities.
The car offered style and performance at an affordable price. It was the fastest production car in the world at the time.
This example shown is a two-owner vehicle and the product of a recent, complete restoration. It is finished in British Racing Green and British Racing Green carpet and Biscuit colored leather.
At auction, the beautiful restoration was rewarded and its exquisite design inspired bidding, and the estimated value was achieved. The car found a new owner at a price of $80,300. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2007
It was the XK120 that brought Jaguar to prominence as a sports car builder and giant in the world of road racing. This legendary model was produced between 1949 and 1954. In that time, a total of 12,078 units were built, of which only 2,678 were fixed head coupes.
This example was a 'barn find' in the late 1990s and has undergone a lengthy total restoration.
Hardtop Coupe Chassis Num: S680992 Engine Num: W7957-8S
Sold for $93,143 (€69,000) at 2009 Bonhams. Sold for $72,600 at 2012 Gooding & Company. The 1953 Jaguar XK120 SE Fixed Head Coupe finished in silver with a black leather interior was offered for sale at the 2006 Worldwide Group Auction held on Hilton Head Island where it was estimated to fetch between $75,000-$100,000. When first constructed it was finished in Baltic grey and had a red leather interior. It was constructed on March 24th of 1953 and its first owner was a resident of West Palm Beach, FL. It was used as a commuter car for a number of years before being sent to the United Kingdom where a restoration was undertaken. It was a participant in the 1990-1992 Pirelli Classic Marathon where it earned sixth in class the first year. The following two years it achieved second in class. In 1994 it was sent back to the United States and prepared for motor sports which included the addition of a roll bar and an engine rebuilt. The period C-type head, increased inlet valve size, and enlarged exhaust gave the vehicle over 200 horsepower. Its third owner campaigned the vehicle in six VSCCA races. Its fourth owner acquired the car in 1996 and had it prepared for the 19999 London to Monte Carlo Rally where suffered two flat tires but still managed to finish 13th in class.
At the conclusion of the Worldwide Group the vehicle was left unsold. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2012
Comfort, beauty, performance, class - the Jaguar XK120 was a legend in its own time. The original XK 120 was a true roadster, with a fully detachable top stored in the trunk. The hardtop coupe version was introduced in 1951 and a convertible in 1953. Eventually, 30,000 XK120's were produced in all versions.
It soon became clear that the XK 120 was not only a beautiful machine but a formidable racing competitor. At its racing debut in August of 1949, it took the first two places at Silverstone. With Stirling Moss at the wheel, an XK120 won the Tourist Trophy at Dundrod and the Silverstone in 1950. The twin-overhead-cam, 6-cylinder engine has a displacement of 3.4 Liters, producing 160 horsepower, with a 4-speed transmission, and a top speed of 120 mph.
The Roadster recently completed a frame-off restoration by Tsikuris Classics in Lakeland, Florida. It received the Best-In-Show Award at the Miami International Auto Show - Memory Land (AACA) Display.
Sport Roadster Chassis Num: S 673526 Engine Num: W 7362-8S
Sold for $114,186 (€86,250) at 2010 Bonhams. This Jaguar XK120 is an original, left-hand drive example that was completed on the 29th of January in 1953. It was delivered new to R.M. Overseas in Düsseldorf, Germany on 18th February 1953. It came equipped with the 'C-Type' cylinder head, which combined with 8.0:1 pistons and 1.75-inch SU carburetors, increased power to 210 horsepower. In 1986, it was purchased from Jean-Claude Chansel in saint Maur, France and given a seven-year, 'bare-chassis', concours restoration. To help with cruising speeds, it was given a higher-ratio rear axle, while the cylinder head was converted to run on unleaded fuel. It is finished in Old English White with red leather interior and chromed wire wheels.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at Bonhams Auction in Monaco. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of €86,250 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2013
Sport Roadster Chassis Num: 674111 Engine Num: W 9122-8
Sold for $83,600 at 2013 Bonhams. The Jaguar XK120 was conceived and constructed in but a few months. It made its debut at the 1948 Earls Court Motor Show were it caused a sensation. At the heart of the XK120 was the fabulous XK engine; a 3.4-liter 'six' that boasted twin overhead camshafts running in an aluminum-alloy cylinder head, seven main bearings and a maximum output of 160 horsepower. The XK120 defined new standards of comfort, road holding and performance for British sport cars.
This Car In 2006, Fred Mack celebrated his 95th birthday by skydiving, and enjoyed the experience so much that in 2011, as he 'turned the ton' he did it again! Since his teens, he has owned around eighteen automobiles.
At a much younger age, Mach purchased a Slate Grey Jaguar XK120 with a red interior and chrome wire wheels. It was purchased from a dealer in Media, Pennsylvania. The dealer was able to get it for him for $3,600 instead of the going rate of $4,400. Mr. Mack still retains the Jaguar sales sheet. When he went to collect the car from Hoffman's Importers, it was white with red interior and had painted wires, the dealer explaining that he felt this was better suited to him.
From that day in 1953, the car has been in the ownership of Mr. Mack. In the early 1990s after a period of storage, when the car had sat under a plastic cover and its paint had lifted, Mr. Mack decided to refurbish the XK. The car would emerge from the restorer with new paint and a renewed interior. The work was completed in time to attend the Franklin Mint show in 1999.
The car is currently 60 years old and has been in continuous ownership from new. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2013
Sold for $99,000 at 2014 Gooding & Company. This Jaguar is finished in its original pastel green paint. This XK120 M was discovered in 2013 having been in single family car for over 58 years. The current owner acquired the car and began, in early 2014, an intensive refurbishment. This special fixed head coupe has been a California car since it was first retailed by Charles Hornburg Jaguar in Los Angeles in 1953. It spent many years in dry storage.
This XK120 M is one of just 421 examples manufactured for export in 1953, with as few as 30 sharing this unrestored example's color and options. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2014
Sport Roadster Chassis Num: S677295 Engine Num: 1776-9
Sold for $42,900 at 2014 Bonhams. This Special Equipment XK120 Drophead Coupe was completed at the Jaguar works in May of 1953 and was delivered new through Hoffman Motor Car Company in New York, New York, to its first owner. It left the factory finished in the classic British Racing Green, and fitted with a tan interior and a black convertible top. The early history remains unknown, but at some point it was stored in Georgia, where it remained until recently. Currently, the cylinder head number does match but the engine block number does not match the factory records, and therefore appears to have been replaced at some point. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2014
Sport Convertible Chassis Num: 677111 Engine Num: W 8373-8 Gearbox Num: JL 15986
Sold for $121,000 at 2015 RM Auctions. The first Jaguar XK120s arrived in the United States in August 1949, delivered to distributors Charles Hornburg in Los Angeles and Max Hoffman in New York. With a 3.4-liter DOHC engine and sensuous flowing lines, they were highly sought after. Between 1949 and 1954, 7,631 roadsters were built, with 2,678 coupes built between 1951 and 1954. Drophead coupe body styles arrived last, with 1,769 (1,471 LHD) produced until 1954.
This particular example was delivered new to Charles Hornburg in Los Angeles and sent to Miss V.M. Donaldson on May 14, 1953. It is believed to have spent its entire life in Oregon.
This Drophead Coupe has a French Grey top, red leather interior, and original Birch Grey exterior. It has the desirable 'curved-back' seat and the original burl walnut interior wood has been replaced since new. The car has been given a frame-off restoration.
The car won Best of Show out of a field of 650 cars at Portland's All-British Field Meet after its restoration in 2006. By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2015
Sport Roadster Chassis Num: 673870 Engine Num: W 8109-8
Sold for $73,700 at 2013 Barrett-Jackson. Sold for $93,500 at 2015 RM Auctions. Jaguar produced 12,055 XK 120 roadsters, coupes, and drophead coupes from 1948 to 1954. This production total includes 7,374 steel-bodied roadsters. This particular example is finished in Olde English White over Burgundy and Biscuit leather. This car was owned by Joan Marilyn Piddington of La Canada, California who placed it into static storage in 1968. It was removed from storage in the late 1980s, and sold from California to Bud Morrison, of Tempe, Arizona, who restored the car to its former glory in the early 1990s. The car remained with Mr. Morrison for the next 25 years, selling it in 2013. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2015
The Jaguar XK120 was designed to be a prestigious vehicle and produced in low numbers. The designation '120' represented the vehicles top speed of 120 miles-per-hour. At the time, it was the fastest production car in the world. The British automotive industry was greatly influenced by World War II. Many manufacturers went out of business due to the lack of funds, fuel and supply shortages, or their factories had been destroyed during the war. In order to stay in business, a solid production line was required that could compete with its class of vehicles. William Lyons, owner of Jaguar, did so by creating a new class - one that was faster, more reliable, stylish, and cheaper than any other vehicle on the market.
To gain industry recognition, Lyons knew that he needed a show car that was revolutionary and bold. Lyons handled the styling while his chief engineer, William Heynes, was tasked with designing the mechanical components. When the vehicle was displayed at Earls Court, the reaction was overwhelming. Originally, Lyons planned to make between 100 and 200 examples. After the public reaction to the car and to keep up with demand, he decided to change the body from hand-formed aluminum to all-steel construction.
The body of the car was reminiscent to the 'French Curves' produced by manufacturers such as Bugatti and Delahaye of the early 1930's and 1940's. They were created in three different body styles, roadster, fixed head, and drop head (convertible).
The vehicle was powered by a 160 horsepower, 3.4 liter, inline-six cylinder engine. Peak horsepower was achieved at 5000 RPM. The 120-mph was the promised speed, the top speed of the vehicle was around 126-132 mph depending on the trim of the vehicle.
The vehicle was designed as a touring car. However, many of the vehicles were raced. Their main weaknesses were their drum brakes which wore quickly, and their steering which was heavy and less responsive when compared to other purpose-built racing vehicles.
In 1951, Jaguar entered the grueling 24-hour of Le Mans endurance race. Three XK120C, the 'C' representing 'competition', were entered. One of the three entrants won the event.
In 1952, an XK120 was driven continuously for seven days and nights around a track located in Montlhery, France. After more than 16,000 miles in one week, the vehicle once again proved its endurance capabilities.
In 1954 production ceased. Over 12,000 examples were produced. By Daniel Vaughan | May 2008
Sir Stirling Moss has been named the Honoree of the 20th annual Amelia Island Concours dElegance. Sir Stirling was the honoree of the first Amelia Island Concours in 1996 and will again be the honoree...
Cars that were the heroes of magical moments put their stamp on this high-powered, most comprehensive show presentation
With more than 30 vehicles, Mercedes-Benz Classic presents motor racing histor...
The 1955 24 Hours of Le Mans would be forever remembered, not for the 24 hours of racing, but for the tragic and terrible events that would take place after just two. The consequences would be dire and...