|2009 i||3/1/2011||2011 Speed3|
Image credits: © Mazda.
2010 Mazda Speed3 news, pictures, and information
THE 2010 MAZDASPEED3: TAKING SIBLING RIVALRY TO THE EXTREMEThe performance car for enthusiasts wîth active lifestyles
It's an unwritten law of nature. When two parents have kids, more often than not, their offspring will be quite different. One will have Dad's eyes, another, Mom's nose. Some will be mild-mannered, happy and always smiling, and others, well - they will be wicked. Enter the all-new 2010 MAZDASPEED3. From a distance, it may look like its MAZDA3 siblings, wîth its five-point grille and sleek lines, but one minute behind the wheel will prove otherwise.
For 2010, the MAZDASPEED3 blends the five-door functionality of the all-new MAZDA3 5-Door wîth bolder, more aggressive styling and exhilarating performance to meet the needs of driving enthusiasts wîth active lifestyles. Carrying forward the award-winning MZR 2.3-liter DISI Turbo engine, the new MAZDASPEED3 builds on the legendary performance of the original while adding a fresh new look and even better handling.
Expressive and Dynamic Design
The design of the all-new MAZDASPEED3 evolves the model's visual identity to create a sportier, more aggressive appearance. The result is a more emotional design that takes the sporty, agile nature of the all-new MAZDA3 5-Door to a new level.
The MAZDASPEED3 is easily distinguished from its siblings. Start at the front, where a lower air dam and round fog lights frame an organic, metallic-black grille. The hood now houses an intercooler scoop to improve charge air cooling, and the front fenders are flared to contain the car's wider tires.
From the side view, the new 18 x 7.5-inch aluminum wheel design is unique, but modeled closely on the deeply sculpted, expressive, and very lightweight 19-inch forged wheels on the RX-8 R3. Sculpted side skirts and a lower stance also give away the MAZDASPEED3's sinister motives. From the rear, larger dual exhaust tips, a rear valance painted the same metallic black as the grille, and a larger, roof-mounted rear wing give it away.
Nagare-inspired design defines the exterior and continues into the cabin, which features color coordination and materials chosen to excite the driver and passengers every time they take a seat. Black is the keynote color employed throughout the interior, while the seats and trim fabric have an organic red graphic design. This MAZDASPEED3-exclusive design is distributed throughout, wîth red stitching enhancing the sporty interior character on the §teering wheel, seats, door trim, shift lever boot, and center armrest.
The dashboard of the new MAZDASPEED3 is designed to give a roomy feel while displaying critical information up high and deep into the dashboard, closer to the driver's field of vision and focal point. The instrument cluster for the all-new MAZDASPEED3 also includes a new LED turbo boost gauge positioned between the meters.
The driver's seat is especially critical in any performance car. Without solid lateral support, a driver loses the focus, control and precision needed to really enjoy driving. The all-new MAZDASPEED3 seats are designed to provide that support without compromising everyday comfort.
The all-new MAZDASPEED3 continues to use Mazda's award-winning MZR 2.3L DISI Turbo powerplant. Delivering 263 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 280 lb.-ft of torque at 3,000 rpm, it made the original MAZDASPEED3 the most powerful front-drive performance car under $25,000, and remains one of the strongest engines in its class today.
With no need to increase power, the development team focused on harnessing that power more effectively. Engine output itself is more consistent, thanks to the hood-mounted intercooler scoop that not only improves intercooler airflow over the grille-mounted intercooler duct of last-year's car, but also frees up grille space for a fresh-air duct to feed the engine's intake. Breathing cooler air improves efficiency, boosting both real-world power and fuel economy.
The gear ratios in the compact, three-shaft gearbox have also been revised, wîth 2nd through 5th gear all getting slightly taller to make better use of the engine's abundant torque. The new gear spacing and refined engine calibration are focused on providing more linear, seamless power delivery. The advanced torque management system, which minimizes torque steer by adjusting torque output based on gear position and §teering angle, has also been recalibrated. The new gear ratios allow more of the engine's torque to be utilized in the lower gears while still keeping torque steer at a manageable level.
Handles Like a Mazda
The new MAZDASPEED3's body shell benefits from a focused effort at strengthening the most important parts of the structure. The use of high-strength and ultra-high strength steel in the safety structures like bumpers and side impact beams has nearly doubled, making these areas both stronger and lighter. The suspension mounting points all gain rigidity from the use of thicker sheet metal in high-stress areas and extensive use of weld bonding, a hybrid joining technique combining conventional spot welds wîth structural adhesives. Torsional stiffness around the rear suspension mounts is improved roughly two percent, while deflection around the rear liftgate is reduced nearly 40 percent.
In general, a stiffer structure allows firmer suspension tuning without compromising ride comfort. In the case of the new MAZDASPEED3, that firmer suspension was accomplished wîth stiffer springs, higher damping rates, and revised mounting points for the front stabilizer bar that reduce bushing deflection and increase the bar's effectiveness. Combined wîth wider, higher-grip 225/40R18 Dunlop SP Sport 2050 performance tires, the MAZDASPEED3's new suspension tuning marries unflappable control wîth a comfortable everyday ride.
Steering feel and response have been improved through more rigid 3-point mounting of the §teering rack, compared to the previous 2-point system. The hydraulic power §teering pump has also been removed from the engine and is now driven by an electric motor. This electro-hydraulic power assisted §teering (EHPAS) reduces parasitic drag on the engine, lowers power §teering fluid temperature, and gives much more flexibility for the development team to dial in §teering feel. Rigid high-speed §teering feel can now be accomplished without suffering heavy §teering at low speeds
Brake feel in hard braking has been improved through the upgrade of the brake assist from mechanical to a new electronically-controlled system. Brake assist shortens stopping distance in panic-stop situations by applying full brake pressure during the moment of hesitation that most drivers exhibit in the instant after first hitting the brakes. The new electronically-controlled system is better at differentiating between true panic-stop situations and, for example, braking hard for turn 11 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
Features and Options - Everything You Want, Nothing You Don't Need
The 2010 MAZDASPEED3 is loaded wîth all the goodies a driving enthusiast wants, but without anything that would add undue weight. Standard features and equipment include variable intermittent windshield wipers, roof-mounted aerodynamic antenna, illuminated vanity mirrors, electroluminescent gauges, aluminum pedals, MAZDASPEED -branded black/red cloth seats, door trim, interior trim, floor mats, scuff plates and black/red decoration panel; and dual-zone climate control. An available MAZDASPEED3 Tech Package offers advanced keyless entry, push-button start, a compact full-color navigation system, Sirius satellite radio wîth six months of free service, a perimeter alarm, six CD changer, and BOSE® Centerpoint® surround sound - a five-channel surround system engineered cooperatively wîth BOSE® that enhances the listening experience thanks to a digital amplifier, noise cancellation technology and 10, strategically placed, premium speakers. Because the weight and structural penalties would compromise the pure driving experience, the MAZDASPEED3 is not available wîth a moonroof option.
The MAZDASPEED3 is the third model in the 2010 MAZDA3 lineup, joining the MAZDA3 5-door, which made its North American debut at the North American International Auto Show earlier this year, and the 4-door sedan, which made its world debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show last November.
Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., Mazda North American Operations oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the Únited States, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico through more than 850 dealers. Operations in Canada are managed by Mazda Canada, Inc., located in Ontario, Canada, and in Mexico by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City.
2010 MAZDASPEED3 AT A GLANCE:
• Design based on the all-new MAZDA3 5-Door, evolved for a sportier, more aggressive appearance
• New air intake to optimize intercooler efficiency
• Front fender and front bumper designs exclusive to MAZDASPEED
• The front grille and lower bumper sections share the same black metallic paint finish
• Wedge-shaped, curving character lines on the side panels and side under spoiler for a lower-lòòking center of gravity
• New, large floating rear spoiler
• New 18-inch aluminum alloy wheels wîth the same three-dimensional design theme as the Mazda RX-8 R3 wheels
|Engine : 2.3 L., 4-cylinder|
Power: 263 hp
Torque: 280 ft-lbs
• New tachometer wîth red MAZDASPEED logo
• New LED turbo boost gauge between the driver meters
• Semi-bucket front seats wîth superior fit
• Seat upholstery in black base color wîth a red graphic design and red stitching
• Black interior color wîth an organic red graphic design throughout the cabin and red stitching for the §teering wheel, shift boot, door trim, center console
• Acclaimed MZR 2.3L DISI Turbo producing high power of 263 horsepower at 5,500 rpm, and 280 ft.-lb. of torque at 3,000 rpm
• In-cylinder cooling effect from direct injection realizes ca. 10 percent more torque compared to conventional-intake turbo engines
• Top speed of 155 mph
• The world's first single-nanotechnology catalytic converter helps to reduce the amount of precious metals needed
• Advanced boost pressure control suppresses sudden torque peaks for linear torque development
• Left and right drive shafts optimized to minimize torque steer
• Torque-sensing conical limited-slip differential (LSD) standard
• Specially-designed, 6-speed manual transmission wîth wider gear ratio than before
• Triple-cone synchronizers for first, second and third gears and a double-cone synchronizer for fourth gear for optimized gearshift operation
• Low-viscosity transmission fluid reduces shift effort when the engine is cold
Chassis & Safety
• Special reinforcements inside the front cowl member gussets and a large tunnel member for increased body stiffness
• Modified coil spring rates for MacPherson strut front suspension and multi-link rear suspension
• Larger diameter stabilizers wîth longer mount spans achieve greater roll linearity
• Special dampers wîth increased damping strength contribute to higher roll stiffness
• Now three highly rigid §teering gear mount bushings instead of two used on the previous model for improved response to §teering wheel action
• New wider Dunlop 18-inch tires wîth improved grip, more rigid sidewalls and damping strength for more direct §teering feel and a stronger one-with-the-car feel
• Electro-hydraulic power assisted §teering (EHPAS)
• Large diameter 12.6-inch ventilated front disc brakes and 11-inch rear solid discs, 8+9-inch tandem brake booster and 1-inch large diameter master cylinder for powerful and stable braking
• Newly-introduced electronic brake assist added to four-wheel ABS and DSC as standard equipment
Source - Mazda
|Land Rover Celebrates 65 Years Of Technology And Innovation|
|SIXTY-FIVE YEARS OF LAND ROVER From our earliest days, the desire to create a vehicle that will tackle any terrain has made Land Rover famous around the world. Over the past 65 years, the Land Rover family has grown into the highly respected range of vehicles that are sold in record numbers today. As Land Rover continues to go from strength to strength, we thought it was time to look back at the milestones in our history that have got us here. The last 65 years have been an adventure. ...[Read more...]|
|2014 Corvette Stingray Starts At $51,995|
|The 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray coupe will have a suggested starting retail price of $51,995, and the Corvette Stingray Convertible will start at $56,995. Both prices include a $995 destination fee but exclude tax, title, and license. 'The 2014 Corvette Stingray perfectly embodies Chevrolet's mission to deliver more than expected for our customers,' said Chris Perry, vice president, Chevrolet marketing. 'The Corvette Stingray delivers a combination of performance, design and technology t...[Read more...]|
|Kia Motors Announces Pricing For All-New 2014 Cadenza Premium Sedan|
|Kia's Flagship Sedan Offers Premium Amenities at a Starting Price of $35,1001 MSRP
• The most powerful and technologically advanced Kia in the U.S. market is defined by European-influenced styling and extraordinary levels of refinement and amenities
• Cadenza features class-leading interior room2 and is offered in one trim level with two available option packages
IRVINE, Calif., April 19, 2013 – Kia Motors America (KMA) is pleased to announce pricing for its most powerful and ...[Read more...]
|2014 MAZDA6 NAMED TO WARD'S ‘10 BEST INTERIORS' LIST|
|The all-new 2014 Mazda6 today was named to WardsAuto World's 10 Best Interiors list, as chosen by the publication's editors. The redesigned mid-size sports sedan features Mazda's new design language called KODO 'Soul of Motion,' which translates muscular movement and power into agile proportions, detailed sculpting and expressive character. The Mazda6 also was recently named one of the top three vehicle designs in the world for 2013 by the World Car Awards. 'The automotive industry, regardl...[Read more...]|
|VOLKSWAGEN CLAIMS BEST HIGHWAY FUEL EFFICIENCY, WITH SEVEN MODELS THAT ACHIEVE MORE THAN 40 MPG|
|• New Jetta Hybrid earns EPA fuel economy rating of up to 48 mpg; the first compact hybrid available with a turbocharged engine|
Herndon, VA - With EPA estimated fuel economy ratings of 48 mpg on the highway, 42 mpg in the city, and a combined rating of 45 mpg, the Jetta Hybrid becomes the most fuel-efficient vehicle in the Volkswagen lineup and the seventh model capable of more than 40 mpg on the highway. With sales of the Jetta Hybrid beginning later this month, Volkswagen wil...[Read more...]
|Similarly Sized Vehicles from 2010|
|Audi e-tron Detroit Showcar|
|BMW 3 Series|
|BMW Concept ActiveE|
|BMW E89 Z4 sDrive35is|
|BMW Z4 E89|
|BMW Z4 E89 Slingshot|
|Other models by Mazda|
|Related Articles and Event Coverage|
|2009 New York International Auto Show|
|2009 i||3/1/2011||2011 Speed3|