Sold for $181,500 at 2009 Gooding & Company
The 'SE' designation on the Mercedes-Benz first appeared in 1958 with the 220 SE. The 'E' represented 'Einspritzung', meaning injection. In 1970, the newly developed 3.5-liter V-8 could be found in the 280 SE 3.5 convertible, which had seating for five passengers. The interior was clothed in leather and featured power windows, air-conditioning and reclining seats with center armrests.
This 280 SE 3.5 convertible has been given a restoration which was completed in May 2004. The work too five years to complete. The interior is trimmed in cognac-colored leather and burl-wood console trim. The exterior is classic black and power is from the 3499cc SOHC V-8 engine with Bosch D-Jetronic Electronic Fuel Injection. There is a four-speed automatic transmission and four-wheel servo-assisted disc brakes.
In 2009, this 280 SE 3.5 Convertible was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction in Scottsdale, Arizona where it was estimated to sell for $160,000 - $210,000. The lot was sold for the sum of $181,500 including buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2009
The Mercedes-Benz 280 SE was produced from 1965 through September 1972. Mounted under the bonnet as a six-cylinder engine fitted with a fuel injection system. (The 250S and 280S had carbureted engines.) By 1970, Mercedes-Benz introduced a larger, eight-cylinder engine displacing 3.5 liters. It was available in a sedan, coupe, and convertible bodystyles with a total of 5187 examples of the coupe and convertibles being built. The standard sedan was far more popular with 91,051 examples produced. Part of the popularity was the price tag which was almost half the cost of the convertible option, which carried a sticker price of $12,444.
A four-speed manual gearbox was standard with an automatic available as option equipment. Disk brakes could be found at all four corners. With just under 100,000 examples produced during their short lifespan, these were very important and popular for the Mercedes-Benz company.
By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2010