The H.H. Franklin Automobile Company of Syracuse, NY, is well-known for building only air-cooled cars from 1902 until 1934. In addition to air-cooling they were also known for other automotive innovations like double elliptical springs, which allowed for a better ride than most cars of the day.
Raymond Dietrich designed the Series 153 DeLuxe bodies for an anticipated new V12 line of cars, but the bodies ended up on the 132-inch chassis with the standard 6-cyliner, 100 horsepower engine.
This is a one-off car built by the Franklin's primary body supplier, Walker Company of Amesbury, MA where Raymond Dietrich worked. It was displayed by Franklin at the 1931 New York Auto Salon. It was the last custom-built car by Walker and was known as 'The Walker.' It was previously housed in the Harrah Collection where it was fully restored.
Deluxe Custom Roadster Coachwork: Dietrich Engine Num: 154860
'Highest horsepower per cubic inch! - Its a claim many would like to have made and Franklin could say it in 1930, and again in 1931 for an non-supercharged, American engine. This was the second year for Franklin's 'airplane-type' engine with 'side-dr [Read More...]
The Franklin, built in Syracuse, New York, was by far the most successful and popular air-cooled automobile built in America until it closed its doors in 1934. From its beginnings in 1902, the company had focused solely on air-cooling. [Read More...]
Sold for $46,750 at 2014 RM Auctions. This Franklin Series 15 Convertible Coupe was purchased new by the president of South Boston Savings Bank, of Boston, Massachusetts. He drove it as his primary car until his unexpected passing in the mid-1950s. The car was then inherited by the banke [Read More...] By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2014
The 1931 Franklin Series 151 was available on either a 125-inch wheelbase or a larger 132-inch unit. The only engine available was a six-cylinder powerplant that produced 100 horsepower. There were twenty bodystyles available that ranged from coupes and roadsters to seven-passenger sedans and limousines.
Produced by the H.H. Franklin Automobile Company of Syracuse, New York, this luxury automobile manufacture offered air-cooled engines from 1902 through 1934 (with a total production of 151,266 automobiles). Franklins are known for their innovative engine and chassis designs features double elliptic springs that offer a ride unmatched by many cars even of today. By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2009
The Series 153 DeLuxe bodies were originally designed by Raymond Dietrich for the new V-12 line. With the V-12 redesign ordered by the new bank-appointed management, these designs were mounted on a 132-inch chassis with standard 6-cylinder 100 horsep [Read More...]
When these two vehicles won Best of Show honors at major Concours dElegance events, they both were owned by Judge Joseph Cassini III. The green colored Chrysler 4 door Phaeton with tan convertible top...