Hardtop Coupe Coachwork: Ghia Chassis Num: 0305 Engine Num: 0305
Sold for $418,000 at 2009 Gooding & Company. Detroit businessman Eugene Casaroll transformed a Chrysler concept car into a limited-production convertible, employing MoPar mechanicals and hand-built Ghia coachwork. Though the car was short-lived (in production for just three years since its 1956 introduction), it did become the favored automobile of many Hollywood royalty such as Frank Sinatra, Lucille Ball, and Peter Lawford.
By 1958, Casaroll's shipping line, which was the company's bread-and-butter, had slowed. As the end of production came into sight, Ghia designer Paul Farago drew up a second-generation model, a 'two-plus-two' fastback coupe, with lines refined by Chrysler's Virgil Exner. Ghia hand-built the body and the entire car, including the chassis, which was based on 1960 Chrysler suspension and powered by a 383 cubic-inch 'Wedge' V-8. As Casaroll's Dual Motors involvement dwindled, the new model was simply christened the Ghia L6.4, or '6.4 liter' which is the metric displacement of the engine.
The Ghia L6.4 was priced at an astonishing $13,500. The cost of production was partly due to complications of building a car in Italy and selling it in the United States. In the end just 26 examples of the L6.4 were built.
This car is chassis number 0305. It was the factory's New York Auto Show car in 1962. It was sold off the show floor to Bernard Berman, of Allentown, Pennsylvania. Berman retained this car until the early 2000s, when it was sold to its second owner. Since that time, it has traded hands just twice.
The car has nearly perfect original paint, interior, and chrome. All the original Sekurit glass is in place, as is all the original wiring and decals under the hood. The factory air conditioning is still in working condition. It has the original fitted luggage, with which this car was supplied when new. The luggage is also preserved in near-perfect condition. The odometer currently show 28,000 miles.
The engine is a 383 cubic-inch Chrysler overhead valve 'Wedge' V8 fitted with Carter four-barrel carburetors. There is a Torqueflite three-speed automatic transmission and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2014
Sold for $126,500 at 2010 RM Auctions. This unique Dual Ghia L6.4 was ordered and built for singer and movie star Dean Martin. It remains in its original, unrestored condition.
Although each Ghia L6.4 was specifically built for each customer, Dean Martin nevertheless found this car was still not exclusive enough for him and had it customized by noted Hollywood car customizer George Barris.
The car is finished in black with oval headlights - a Barris touch - and Nardi steering wheel. Its chrome wire wheels and whitewall tires are accented with thin chrome trim around the wheel wells and rocker panels.
Power is supplied by a 335 horsepower Chrysler 383 cubic-inch motor fitted to a TorqueFlite three-speed automatic transmission. Finishing touches are power steering, power brakes and air conditioning.
Hardtop Coupe Coachwork: Ghia Chassis Num: 0319 Engine Num: 00319
Sold for $577,500 at 2016 RM Auctions. This Ghia L 6.4 is the 19th of the 26 examples built. It was originally delivered in Italy and later imported to the United States in the 1980s. Its ownership history includes Fred Kanter, perhaps the country's foremost Dual-Ghia collector. The current owner has treated the car to a complete restoration. The car has been refinished in its factory-authentic condition and appearance using either original Ghia and Chrysler parts or precise reproductions where originals were not available. It is finished in Rosso Rubino Metallizzato, with an interior in Wollsdorf Nappa Exclusive red leather. The car has factory air conditioning and rare original hubcaps.
The car was restored with correct Ghia 'two-light' taillight assemblies. It was originally delivered with the European 'three-light' configuration - which still accompany the car, along with Borrani wire wheels.
Since restoration, the car has been judged Best in Class at the 2015 Concorso Italian, where it was also one of the eight finalists for Best in Show, as well as Best in Class at the 2015 Concours on the Avenue in Carmel. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2016
Eugene Casaroll, proprietor of Automobile Shippers Incorporated, was the individual responsible for the creation of the Dual-Ghia. The design was inspired by Virgini Exner's Dodge Firearrow, later called the Firebomb, show car. When Chrysler decided not to produce the car, Casaroll purchased the original Firebomb show car. It was re-engineered for public sale by designer Paul Farago. The interior room was increased, as was the luggage space. The chassis was from Chrysler, which was sent to Turin, Italy to have Ghia create the coachwork. Ghia had created the original Firebomb body, thus were the perfect craftsman to create the production vehicle. When the bodies were assembled, they were shipped to Detroit where Dual Motors fitted the drive-train and interior trim. The first series were equipped with Chryslers D500 and D500-1 engines. The D500 displaced 315 cubic-inches and produced 230 horsepower. The D500-1 had a larger, 325 cubic-inch displacement and 260 horsepower.
Production of this series lasted from 1956 through 1958 with a total of 117 examples constructed. There were two convertibles and the rest were coupes. The cars were competitively price considering they cost less than a Cadillac Eldorado and the Lincoln Continental. Just like many new automotive upstarts, the Dual Motors Company lost money on every car.
The concept was later revived in 1961. This time it was produced entirely in Italy in hopes of reducing the cost and expenses. This series is commonly known as the L6.4 as they were powered by Chrysler's 383 cubic-inch (6.4-liter) V8 engine. The chassis was its own, as Chrysler now used a unitary construction method. The cars were offered in hardtop coupe form only. Casaroll doubled the price in hopes of turning a profit, or at least break even. Problems continued to escalate as overhead costs continued to soar. Production continued until 1963 with a total of 26 examples created. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2008
Built by Troy Ladds Hollywood Hot Rods, the heavily modified 1936 Packard with a retractable roof was awarded the highest honor in hot rodding, beating out 12 of the top roadsters in the world, during...
Goodwood Festival of Speed founder, Lord March, will open this years event by driving up the hillclimb course formed by his driveway in a beautiful 1957 BMW 507 sportscar.
BMW is this years Honoured...