The Railton was named for land speed record holder Reid Railton; a collaboration between himself and Noel Macklin, who produced the Invicta. It was built in England from 1933 until the onset of World War II with fewer than 1,500 being produced. The Railton is an early example of an Anglo-American hybrid - it was built in England but with American powertrain components. Hudson, well-established in Europe, supplied the chassis as well as the motivation; first with Essex and later with Terraplane engines.
Detroit based department store magnate, J.L. Hudson and Roy D. Chapin formed the Hudson Motor Car Company in 1909. During their early years of existence, they enjoyed much success with their low-priced car that sold for less than $1,000.
As the 1930s came into sight and the Great Depression began taking its hold on the automotive company, the fortunes began to change. This was even true for British based manufacturers. The founder of the Invicta Company soon found his factory empty as demand declined drastically. He decided to satisfy the interests in American cars by 'Anglicizing' them with British coachwork. He recruited well known land speed record car designer Reed Railton as a consultant and to lend his credence to the Hudson chassis conversion project. By 1937, Railtons were fitted with a 4.2-liter Terraplane 8-cylinder offering 113 horsepower.
This 1937 Hudson Railton 4-door sedan was built by Col. Reginald Rippon, of the well-known Yorkshire Rippon Bros. coachbuilders, for his personal use. No expense was spared on the aluminum coachwork. The car has a wheelbase that measures 139 inches and a length of 214 inches. There are two sliding roof panels, fitted 3-piece luggage, hidden waterproof compartment for sporting guns, tools painted to match the car's exterior color, a reinforced trunk lid to seat six people and an inlaid walnut cabinet in the rear compartment that forms a table and contains a silver plated cognac flask, corkscrew, chocolate box, matchbox and cigarette and cigar boxes.
Restoration was done by Lavine Restorations, Inc. of Nappanee, Indiana.