The Railton was named for land speed record holder Reid Railton; a collaboration between himself and Noel Macklin, who produced the Invicta. It was built in England from 1933 until the onset of World War II with fewer than 1,500 being produced. The Railton is an early example of an Anglo-American hybrid - it was built in England but with American powertrain components. Hudson, well-established in Europe, supplied the chassis as well as the motivation; first with Essex and later with Terraplane engines.
Detroit based department store magnate, J.L. Hudson and Roy D. Chapin formed the Hudson Motor Car Company in 1909. During their early years of existence, they enjoyed much success with their low-priced car that sold for less than $1,000.
As the 1930s came into sight and the Great Depression began taking its hold on the automotive company, the fortunes began to change. This was even true for British based manufacturers. The founder of the Invicta Company soon found his factory empty as demand declined drastically. He decided to satisfy the interests in American cars by 'Anglicizing' them with British coachwork. He recruited well known land speed record car designer Reed Railton as a consultant and to lend his credence to the Hudson chassis conversion project. By 1937, Railtons were fitted with a 4.2-liter Terraplane 8-cylinder offering 113 horsepower.
This 1937 Hudson Railton 4-door sedan was built by Col. Reginald Rippon, of the well-known Yorkshire Rippon Bros. coachbuilders, for his personal use. No expense was spared on the aluminum coachwork. The car has a wheelbase that measures 139 inches and a length of 214 inches. There are two sliding roof panels, fitted 3-piece luggage, hidden waterproof compartment for sporting guns, tools painted to match the car's exterior color, a reinforced trunk lid to seat six people and an inlaid walnut cabinet in the rear compartment that forms a table and contains a silver plated cognac flask, corkscrew, chocolate box, matchbox and cigarette and cigar boxes.
Restoration was done by Lavine Restorations, Inc. of Nappanee, Indiana.
|McLAREN SPECIAL OPERATIONS PRESENTS CONCOURS CONDITION McLAREN F1 FOR SALE|
|◾McLaren F1 chassis #069 – one of the very last produced – offered for sale with less than 2,800 miles covered from new
◾Original down to the correct numbered McLaren F1 book and limited edition owner's watch presented on delivery
◾Maintained and presented by McLaren Special Operations Heritage division
The McLaren F1 is regarded by many as the car which rewrote the supercar rule book. With only 64 roadcar examples built between 1993 and 1998, the original McLaren F1 is one of the rarest an...[Read more...]|
|SHOW-STOPPING AUTOMOBILES AT RM SOTHEBY'S AMELIA ISLAND CONCOURS D'ELEGANCE SALE|
|• RM Sotheby's readies for its 18th annual Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance sale, March 12 in Florida
• Star attractions: 1939 Mercedes-Benz 540 K Spezial Cabriolet A and 1962 Ferrari 400 Superamerica LWB Coupe Aerodinamico lead roster of more than 90 blue-chip collector cars
• Sale features over a century of automotive design and styling, from Brass Era greats including a stunning Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP Silver Ghost, to modern exotics represented by a highly-optioned 2014 Pagani Huayra
• ...[Read more...]|
|Auctions America showcases evolution of the sports car at its 14th annual Fort Lauderdale sale|
|• Sports cars from across the decades dominate Auctions America's Fort Lauderdale sale, April 1-3 in Florida
• From a classic Jaguar E-Type to a fascinating BMW M1 and a limited-production Ferrari F355 Spider, auction docket superbly illustrates the genre's progression
• Multi-day auction presents more than 450 quality automobiles and select automobilia
• Frequently updated list of entries available at www.auctionsamerica.com
AUBURN, Indiana (February 17, 2016) – Auctions America's annu...[Read more...]|
|COMING OUT THE GATE STRONG: AMERICAN MUSCLE LEADS EARLY ENTRIES FOR AUCTIONS AMERICA'S 2016 SEASON OPENER|
|• Auctions America's kicks off its 2016 calendar, April 1-3 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
• Regarded as South Florida's premier collector car auction, multi-day sale expected to feature diverse roster of nearly 500 automobiles
• Early highlights led by an all-original 1967 Shelby GT 500 Fastback and a recently restored 1968 Shelby GT 500KR Convertible
• Event information and a frequently updated list of entries available online at www.auctionsamerica.com
AUBURN, Indiana (December...[Read more...]|
|RARE ALLOY MERCEDES-BENZ 300 SL GULLWING WINS THE PUBLIC CHOICE AT THE 2014 CONCOURS OF ELEGANCE|
|◾The results are now all in for the inaugural Public Choice vote for the 2014 Concours of Elegance at Hampton Court Palace
◾A rare alloy-bodied 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing is voted the Public Choice winner by visitors to the annual Concours
◾Each Public Choice vote placed by text made a welcome donation to the official Concours charities
For the very first time, visitors to the recent Concours of Elegance – held to great acclaim at Hampton Court Palace from 5-7 September – were able ...[Read more...]|