1967 Aston Martin DB6 news, pictures, specifications, and information
Chassis Num: DB63141R
Engine Num: 4003198
Sold for $52,800 at 2005 RM Auctions
Sold for $115,500 at 2006 RM Auctions
During the production lifespan of the Aston Martin DB6, there were only 1504 examples produced. It was announced at the London Motor Show in October of 1965. In comparison to its predecessor, the DB5, the DB6 grew in size with its wheelbase expanding by 3.75 inches. There was more interior room for its occupants with more headroom and a taller windscreen. There were rounded rear side windows and front and rear split bumpers.
The Aston Martin DB6 Coupe shown finished in silver birch with a dark blue interior was offered for sale at the 2006 RM Auction in Monterey, Ca. It was estimated to sell between $120,000-$140,000. It has been treated to a restoration since new. It is powered by a 3995cc dual overhead cam inline six-cylinder engine with triple SU carburetors and twin SU fuel pumps. All this equates to 325 horsepower which is sent to the rear wheels through a Borg-Warner automatic transmission. The vehicle sits atop a 102-inch wheelbase and has four-wheel disc brakes which provide the stopping power. Zero-to-sixty takes just 6.5 seconds while top speed is reached at 148 mph. On auction day this vehicle was sold, fetching $115,500.By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2006
This DB6 Volante is equipped with Aston Martin's 4-liter, 6-cylinder, DOHC engine with 3 SU carburetors, developing 325 horsepower, coupled to a ZF 5-speed gear box and rare factory air conditioning.
The DB6 was the final phase of evolution for the DB series. It is the pinnacle of style and performance and encompasses both form and function. The lightweight body, aggressive stance, potent engine and perfectly tuned suspension continued the Aston Martin racing heritage without sacrificing care or comfort. It is the ultimate gentleman's sports car.
This DB6 Volante is an active vintage rally participant. In 2006, it campaigned in New England 1000 Vintage Rally for four days throughout Vermont and Canada. It ran the Carolina Trophy 1000 Rally in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina where it finished 2nd overall out of 30 entries. It also won a trophy for 'Best Prepared Car.' A total of 215 DB6 Volantes were produced between 1965 and 1970.
During the production lifespan of the Aston Martin DB6, there were only 1504 examples produced. It was announced at the London Motor Show in October of 1965 and production discontinued in 1970 with only 1,327 examples created. In comparison to its predecessor, the DB5, the DB6 grew in size with its wheelbase expanding by 3.75-inches. The DB6 Volante is equipped with Aston Martin's 4-liter, six-cylinder DOHC engine with 3 SU carburetors, developing 325 horsepower, coupled to a ZF five-speed gearbox. Top speed was just under 150 mph while zero-to-sixty took just 6.2 seconds. The DB6 was the final phase of evolution for the DB series.
Robert Bamford and Lionel Martin created the Aston martin Company in 1913 for the sole purpose of racing, though they are now known as 'the ultimate gentleman's touring car.'
Sold for $170,500 at 2009 RM Auctions
In the late 1950s, Aston Martin was still a small, highly exclusive car manufacturer that produced less than 250 hand-built cars per year. Their clientele was an exclusive base of discerning connoisseurs of grand touring motor cars, many who were attracted to the company due to its successes in sports car racing. The cars cost roughly twice that of a new Jaguar E-Type, adding to the exclusivity even further.
Aston Martin unveiled their DB4 model in 1958 at the Paris Auto Salon. It was a new car in virtually every regard, and built on a new steel chassis with four-wheel disc brakes and fitted with a newly developed alloy, twin-cam inline six-cylinder engine designed by Tadek Marek. The engine was similar in its design and construction to the Lagonda engine designed by W.O. Bentley and found in earlier Aston Martin DBs.
In 1963, Aston Martin introduced the DB5 at the Earl's Court Motor Show in London. The design was similar to the DB4, but the six-cylinder engine displacement had been increased to 4-liters. It had three SU carburetors as standard equipment, with horsepower increased by 20 percent to 282 horsepower. Other refinements included a twin fuel fillers, electric windows, and a highly tuned exhaust system. After just 50 units were built, the ZF five-speed gearbox became standard equipment.
Between 1963 and 1965, just 886 DB5s were produced, all of which received Touring's superleggera (super light) bodywork.
In October of 1965, Aston Martin introduced the DB6 at the London Motor Show. The DB6 had a more conventional framing for the aluminum outer bodywork, consisting of a steel floor pan and inner body panels at the rear. On of the most visually apparent feature was the truncated Kamm-type tail which aided the car's stability at high speeds. There was a slightly higher roofline which improved passenger space in combination with a slightly longer wheelbase that provided additional luggage capacity.
The styling of the DB5 in the front remained virtually intact, with the sole addition of a chin-type air scoop adding additional oil cooling for the four-liter six-cylinder engine. Other styling updates included quarter bumpers on all four corners, as opposed to the previous full-width units.
The 3995cc inline six-cylinder engine had dual overhead camshafts, three SU carburetors, and produced 282 horsepower. There was a ZF five-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes.
This coupe is painted in Aston Green with a tan Connolly leather interior and matching beige Wilton wool carpets. It was originally owned by John Chapman of the London Aston Martin main agency Chapman Spooner. The car was originally a right-hand drive car that was converted to left-hand drive by the Aston Martin factory prior to shipment of the car to California in the 1980s. since new, this car has been given a restoration. The mileage is approximately 76,500.
In total, there were just 1,321 DB6 coupes produced.
In 2009, this Aston Martin DB6 was offered for sale at the Sports & Classics of Monterey auction in Monterey, California presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $125,000-$175,000. The lot was sold for the sum of $170,500 including buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2009
Sold for $286,000 at 2010 Gooding & Company
This DB6 Coupe is an original left-hand drive, optioned from the factory with air conditioning. It is painted in a shade of Silver Birch and rides on chrome wire wheels. Since new, it has been given a quality restoration that was completed some time ago. It has spent much of its existence in southern California, aiding in keeping this preserved car in superb condition.
The seats are upholstered in black Connolly hides, has a period-correct radio and the rarely-seen, factory-installed air conditioning system. There is seating for four passengers and their luggage.
In 2010, this DB6 was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction at Amelia Island, Florida. It was estimated to sell for $200,000 - $250,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $286,000, inclusive of buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2010
Chassis Num: DB6/2722/L
Engine Num: 400/2697/V
Sold for $348,000 at 2011 Bonhams
The Aston Martin DB6 was introduced at the 1965 London Motor Show and was the ultimate development of touring-designed sports saloons that began with the DB4 in 1958. It had the front fascia of the DB5 with a race-bred Kamm tail and a long wheelbase. The result was a vehicle that had great handling at high speeds and improved space for rear passengers. Powering the DB6 was the Tadek Marek-designed four-liter, all-alloy dual overhead cam six-cylinder engine carried over from the DB5. The rare, optional high-tune Vantage engines adopted an exhaust-cam profile from the DB4GT, giving it a zero-to-sixty mph time of just over six seconds and a quarter-mile performance reminiscent of the earlier GT car.
This Aston Martin DB6 is one of 1,321 saloon-bodied Mark I examples produced between October 1965 and July 1969. There were even fewer configured as left-hand-drive cars with the Vantage-engine option, such as this example.
This car was ordered new on January 12th of 1967 by Monsieur Herbert Kenmore of London through Garage Mirabeau, the official Aston Martin sales agent of Paris. The car was given the powerful Vantage engine and a 3.71:1 limited-slip differential, as well as chrome wire wheels and a heated rear screen.
Since the car was ordered as a left-hand drive example with the speedometer in miles per hour, it was believed that M. Kenmore was a native Frenchman residing in London.
The 3995cc alloy dual overhead cam six-cylinder engine is fitted with three Weber carburetors and offers 325 horsepower. There is a five-speed manual ZF gearbox with a limited slip differential and four-wheel power-assisted disc brakes.
In December of 1968, the car had 19,340 miles and was sold to its next owner, Willesden Engineering Company of London. By the early 1990s, the car was in California where it caught the attention of Greg Gussman, the proprietor of Autos Unlimited in Flagstaff, Arizona. Mr. Gussman purchased the car in early 1995. Mr. Gussman treated the car to gradual restoration and careful maintenance of the DB6. In 2004, the car was given a meticulous repaint in its original color of Midnight Blue sealed by three layers of clear coat.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Amelia Island, Florida. It was estimated to sell for $350,000 - $450,000. Bidding failed to satisfy the vehicle's reserve and it would leave the auction unsold.By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2012
This Aston Martin DB6 is an original LHD example that was delivered new on January 25th of 1967 to Richard Blauner, the president of Richard Blauner Inc. on Manhattan's Seventh Avenue. Local agent J.S. Inskip was responsible for the order and supplied the car in Snow Shadow Grey, with a black leather interior. It came equipped with Normalaire air-conditioning, chrome wheels with three ear knock off hubs, a heated rear screen, two Marchal fog lamps, and Britax Lap and Diagonal Safety belts to both front seats. It is believed the car may have probably been repainted once in its life to the original grey. The odometer currently reads 46,430 miles.
In 2012 the car was offered for sale at the Quail Lodge Sale in Carmel, CA presented by Bonhams. The car was estimated to sell for $300,000 - $375,000. As bidding came to a close, the car failed to find a buyer willing to satisfy its reserve. It would leave the auction unsold.By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2012
High bid of $780,000 at 2012 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
The DB6 was an evolution of the iconic Aston Martin DB5. The new Volante used the same extended wheelbase of the DB6 coupe on a strengthened chassis. This 3.75-inch stretch, created for the first time in a postwar Aston, had real, usable room in the back for two adults. The rear section was given a substantial redesign, now with a flat 'Kamm-tail,' along with an integrated spoiler lip. The new Volante was also the first Aston martin to be designed with the influence of wind tunnel testing.
Powering the Volante was an all-alloy, twin-cam straight six engine, in 4.0-liter form rated at 282 horsepower and fed by triple SU carburetors. Transmission was via a ZF five-speed manual gearbox that was fitted to Aston Martins part way into DB5 production. A Borg-Warner automatic transmission option was also available.
The aluminum alloy body work of the DB6, and the later DB6 MKII models, became the last of the Aston Martins constructed using the patented Touring of Milan 'Superleggera' process of wrapping the exterior panels around an open lattice of small-diameter steel tubing, resulting in a structure that is exceptionally rigid as well as lightweight.
This DB6 Volante is one of just 140 examples produced. Its early history is not fully known, except that it was found in Canada after having spent time in Germany. The car wears period-appropriate color scheme of Black Pearl with red interior and black convertible roof. The car has been treated to a ground-up, nut-and-bolt restoration that was completed in August of 2010.
In 2012, this car was offered for sale at RM Auction's Monterey, CA sale. It was estimated to sell for $850,000 - $1,100,000. Bidding reached $780,000 but was not enough to satisfy the vehicle's reserve. It would leave the auction unsold.By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2012
Chassis Num: DB6/2625/LN
Engine Num: 400/3345
Gearbox Num: 10116
Sold for $412,500 at 2014 RM Auctions
The early left-hand-drive DB6 was originally delivered on March 29th of 1966 to a French individual. After just 811 kilometers, the DB6 was brought back to the Aston Martin Works at Newport Pagnell. As reflected on the new data plate, the engine was replaced with a standard unit, the km/h speedometer was swapped with a new Smiths unit reading in mph and the lighting was changed from French to U.S. specification. Additional work, including to the gearbox, was also performed on the DB6.
The Aston Martin DB6 was sold as a new car on December 4th of 1966 through Phillip Long, an auto broker from Southern California, to Mr. and Mrs. William Duke, of Encino, California. The car had options such as chrome wire wheels with three-eared knock-offs, Normalair air conditioning, a heated rear window, Fiamm electric air horns, a Bosch Köln radio with an electric antenna, two pairs of Britax lap and diagonal safety belts, and a brace of Marchal fog lamps.
The Dukes took delivery of the new DB6 in February 1967. Over the next 47 years, it served as Mrs. Duke's occasional weekend transportation.
Recently, the triple SU carburetors and master cylinder were rebuilt and the fuel line and brakes were cleaned. The car has its original Platinum White finish and its black Connolly leather interior and Wilton wool carpeting. It still has its correct spare wheel, jack, and a comprehensive tool kit, as well as its original British registration plate, NLU 110F.By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2014
Sold for $687,500 at 2015 RM Auctions
The Aston Martin DB6 Mark 1 was introduced in 1965 and produced until 1969. In Vantage tune, the Tadek Marek-designed inline six-cylinder engine offered 325 horsepower. The Touring of Milan's coachwork had a restyled rear section in folded steel rather than in the traditional superleggera method, and rested on a wheelbase that had been stretched 3.75 inches than its predecessor. In the back was a Kamm-style tail, completing its sporty, yet elegant appearance. By this point in history, the DB series had become a very evolved and refined luxury, sport, grand touring vehicle.
This particular example is one of seventy-one original Vantage-specification DB6 produced. It left the factory with left-hand-drive configuration, a five-speed manual transmission, factory air conditioning, American-spec wide bumper guards, headrests, and the Vantage engine.
Dr. Alexander Cross of Palo Alto, California ordered the car in April of 1967. He took delivery later that year. The car remained in Dr. Cross's care until 2012. Over the years, Dr. Corss had his car restored as-needed, which included having the original, matching-numbers Vantage engine rebuilt in 1991. The car has been re-upholstered and the original Sierra Blue paint has been re-applied. Over the years, nearly every component of the car has been rebuilt, although it has never been the subject of a total restoration.By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2015
Aston Martin produced just 1,575 DB6 Coupes along two distinct series between September 1966 and January 1971. This example is an original left-hand drive North American Export model, built on June 3, 1966. Eight days later, it was sent to J.S. Inskip Inc. in New York City. It was sold new to the Saye Construction Company. The car was finished in Mink over dark blue upholstery and came equipped with factory options including Normalair air-conditioning, chrome road wheels, a heated rear window, 3.73:1 limited-slip differential, three-eared knock-offs, Avon Turbospeed GT whitewall tires, twin Fiamm horns with change-over switch, two safety belts, twin Marchal fog lamps, and a Bosch Koln TR radio with power antenna.
Subsequent long-term owners of this DB6 include Harry Mathews of Arvada, Colorado and former NFL Green Bay Packer Randy J. Rose.
The car is complete with a correct instruction book, original workshop manual, parts catalogue, tool roll, lead knock-off wheel hammer, and an original jack with accessories.By Daniel Vaughan | May 2015
Sold for $682,000 at 2015 RM Auctions
The history of the Aston Martin 'shooting Brake' station wagon begins with a story involving David Brown, chairman of Aston, who entered a board meeting one day with his hunting dogs. With several of his engineers in attendance, Mr. Brown said 'Build me something for him to sit in.' The result of the request was a DB5 built by the factory with an extended cargo compartment suitable for the hunt, which the Brown family used for many years. The vehicle proved to be popular with Mr. Brown's gentlemen friends and a limited run of cars were produced by special customer order, with similar coachwork that cost more than 50 percent more than a factory DB5. It is believed that just 12 examples were built on the DB5 chassis, followed by an additional six - four by Radford and two by HLM Panelcraft, on DB6 chassis.
The particular example is an original DB6 Shooting Brake that was ordered by the current caretaker's father, William E. Weiss Jr., at the 1966 New York Automobile Show. The car was finished in Goodwood Green over Natural Connolly leather and came luxuriously equipped, including a Borg-Warner automatic transmission, chrome wheels, radio with power antenna, Marchal fog lights, Fiam horns, a detachable front-passenger headrest, front Britax safety belts, a Bray immersion heater, and factory Coolaire air conditioning. The car has Triumph taillights which are correct equipment.
Before the car was delivered, it was tested by the new owner and David Brown at Silverstone. Upon arrival in the United States, it was used to carry Mr. Weiss's luggage and guns to the Rolling Rock Club for hunts. The car was kept primarily in Oyster Bay, Long Island, New York, until Mr. Weiss's passing in 1985. Ownership then passed to his son at his home in Wyoming, where it has remained since. In the early 1990s, the car was completely disassembled, all the components checked, it was repainted in its original color, and the rubber seals and gaskets were replaced. The engine was tuned and some of the chrome trim was re-plated.
The engine is a 3995cc dual overhead cam six-cylinder unit fitted with triple SU side-draft carburetors and delivers 282 horsepower. There is a three-speed Borg-Warner automatic transmission with power-assisted four-wheel disc brakes.By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2015
Robert Bamford and Lionel Martin created the Aston Martin Company in 1913 for the sole purpose of racing. They built a car which sat atop an Isotta-Fraschini chassis. The name of the company was in honor to the Aston Clinton Hillclimb race combined with Lionel Martin's surname. After World War One they created their own cars which quickly gained a reputation for reliability and speed by setting many speed records. In 1924 the company was taken over by new ownership, which began a series of ownership changes for the company that lasted for many years.
After World War Two, the company was in financial distress and production was slow to resume. David Brown purchased the company in 1947, also purchased the Lagonda automobile company. Though his financial support brought the company back into existence, it was his charismatic designs that are responsible for its longevity and success. The DB series, David Browns initials, first appearing in 1957 are some of the most memorable and skillfully crafted designs of all time. They offered superior handling and power than most of their competitors. The aluminum body panels of the DB4 were part of the reason they were given the 'supperleggera' name, meaning superlight.
The DB6 was produced for a short period of time, lasting from 1965 through 1970 with only 1327 examples being created. They are the climax of David Brown's expression of a gentleman's ultimate touring motor car.
The DB6 was given styling cues from the DB4GT and DB5 but sat atop a chassis that had been extended by 3.75 inches to give extra room for the rear passengers. The DB5's followed the success of the DB4's and featured similar body work as the 2 door, 4 seater Saloon. Under the hood of the DB5 was a six-cylinder engine of 3995 cc displacement and capable of producing over 280 horsepower. The Vantage option increased the output rating to 314 bhp. Most of the DB5s featured a new ZF five-speed transmission. Unlike the DB4's, the DB5's were equipped with Electric windows and Selectaride type Armstrong Dampers. These were luxuries, but they also increased the weight of the vehicle and decreasing the overall performance. The zero-to-sixty time was 8.1 seconds with the top speed being in the neighborhood of 143 mph.
Instead of using a gracefully rounded DB5 tail, the DB6 now featured a rear spoiler. 1966 was the final year for Carrozzeria bodied Aston Martins. Instead of utilizing assembly lines, the Aston Martins were hand built. The specialized process of creating a vehicle took around 2900 man-hours, thus the low production figures.
A 4 liter six-cylinder engine could be found under the hood. The Vantage option included three twin-choke Weber 45DCOE9 carburetors and produced 325 horsepower. Top speed was just under 150 mph while zero-to-sixty took just 6.2 seconds. A five speed manual gearbox was standard as was the limited slip differential. The vehicle was suspended by an independent front suspension with coil springs and shocks. Stopping power was provided by disc brakes located on all four wheels. The interior continued the appeal of sophistication with Connolly leather and Wilton wool seats.
The DB6 was the final phase of evolution for the DB series. It is the pinnacle of style and performance and encompasses both form and function. The lightweight body, aggressive stance, potent engine, and perfectly tuned suspension continued the Aston Martin racing heritage without sacrificing care or comfort. It is the ultimate gentleman's sport car.
By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2006
Recent Vehicle Additions
|Full Car List Revealed As City Concours Kicks Off This Week|
|•This Thursday and Friday more than 100 of the world's most incredible cars will roar into London's Honourable Artillery Company for the first City Concours
•Star cars range from the Pagani Huarya and Aston Martin Vulcan to early motoring pioneers like the Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost 'London to Edinburgh'
•A collection of racing cars forms the 'Built for Speed' feature, including a Maserati 200SI Tipo and Jaguar XJ220C TWR
•Away from the world of four wheels will be a range of superbikes, from t...[Read more...]|
|FIRST-EVER SPORTS CAR AMONG EXTRAORDINARY LINE UP FOR BONHAMS' BOND STREET SALE|
|• The world's first sports car – the 'Prince Henry' Vauxhall leads Bonhams' Bond St Sale
• The original supercar – the iconic 1957 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster
• James Bond Aston Martin DB5 with two-owner faultless records
• One of the first Maserati road cars, the all-original, matching numbers Mistral Spyder
The world's first sports car – the 1914 Vauxhall 25hp 'Prince Henry' Sports Torpedo – is coming to auction for the first time in Bonhams' Bond Street Sale on 4 December, estimated at ...[Read more...]|
|THE McLAREN F1|
|FOR THE DRIVER VITALLY – AS IN ONE OF McLAREN'S WORLD CHAMPION RACING CARS – DRIVER AND VEHICLE BECOME ENTIRELY AS ONE
The primary design consideration for the McLaren F1 has been to make it without reserve 'a driver's car', an extremely high-performance design which advances all conventional boundaries. It combines Formula 1 racing car dynamics with genuine Grand Touring capabilities. ▪ Beginning with its radical and entirely innovative one-plus-two seating configuration, the McLaren...[Read more...]|
|The Best of British|
|The 2015 Les Grandes Marques auction on 5 February at the Grand Palais in Paris will be the biggest to date, with around 130 motor cars on offer. The sale will be led by two fantastic vehicles from British luxury marque, Aston Martin.
Synonymous with Britain - and, of course, British movie heroes - Aston Martin has produced some truly iconic motor cars, and arguably none more so than those designed in the David Brown era: the DB4 and DB5. With only 70 produced, the 1962 DB4C is one of the rar...[Read more...]|
|Italian Racing Classics Lead Gooding & Company's 10th Anniversary|
|SANTA MONICA, Calif. (June 4, 2013) – Gooding & Company, the official auction house of the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance acclaimed for selling the world's most significant and valuable collector cars, will be hosting the 10th Anniversary sale of the Pebble Beach Auctions on August 17 and 18. This year Gooding & Company offers an early preview of some of the most highly sought after and rapidly amassing value collectible – the distinguished Italian race car. Auction highlights include a...[Read more...]|