Sold for $27,500 at 2011 Gooding & Company. In the post-War period, MG built a reputation with amateur racing with the MG TC and TD. In 1955, a team of MGs competed in the 24 Hours of LeMans; the following year, three cars competing in the 12 Hours of Sebring endurance race.
This particular example is a tribute to the MGA race cars. It features right-hand drive, a cut-down Plexiglas windshield, a front racing valance, and a custom rear license plate mounting bracket with a fitted light in the rear. The bumpers have been removed to complete the race look.
In 2010, this car was treated to an interior restoration with re-padded, newly covered leather seats, cowl and door trim, door panels and new carpeting. It is painted in British Racing Green paint with a light tan interior.
In 2011, this vehicle was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Amelia Island, Florida. It was estimated to sell for $30,000 - $40,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $27,500 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2011
The 1958 MGA Series 1500 was available as either a roadster or a coupe and sold for $2,275 - $2,600. The soft-top roadster could be purchased with a removable hardtop and the coupe version had roll-up glass windows and small vent wings. Power came from an overhead-valve four-cylinder engine that displaced 1489cc and offered 72 horsepower. They came with a four-speed manual gearbox with a hydraulically-operated clutch. There was a rack-and-pinion steering system and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes.
There were approximately 16,250 MG vehicles sold in the United States in 1958, an increase of 2,754 vehicles over the prior year. By Daniel Vaughan | Jul 2011
Only 2111 MGA Twin Cam cars were manufactured. This vehicle is the first left-hand car built and the first sent to the United States. The long awaited MGA Twin car was rolled-out in early 1958. The first cars were delivered to established race teams or large dealerships. KJell Qvale, the largest North American MG Dealer with an Extensive race team in California, received #504 in Mid-1958. QVale campaigned #504 for three races.
In 1963, #504 was purchased from a used car lot in Detroit, Michigan. Waterford Hill Race Track, North of Detroit, saw #504 racing again until 1966 when the engine was removed for inspection and normal maintenance. The exciting times of racing ended when #504 was placed in storage for four decades.
The current owner purchased the car in 2007 and its restoration was completed in 2012.
Sold for $68,200 at 2014 Bonhams. The MGA was conceived as a replacement for the tradition 'T'-Seires MGs, and combined a rigid chassis with the 1,489cc B-Series engine that had first appeared in the ZA Magnette. They were given a curvaceous aerodynamic body and were capable of achieving 95 mph. It was becoming more difficult to extract more power from the standard engine, so work was concentrated on a twin-overhead-camshaft cylinder head for the B-Series block. Conceived at Cowley by BMC engineer Gerald Palmer and introduced in 1958, the engine offered an impressive 108 horsepower. The Twin Cam MGA had a top speed which exceeded 110 mph. To cope with the increased performance, Dunlop disc brakes were fitted all round and Dunlop center-lock wheels were adopted.
This early MGA Twin Cam has a documented history. The previous owner used it in the Bahama Vintage Grand Prix. It is believed that this MGA was the ex-David Ash, JS Inksip test car used to film a road test at Lime Rock Park.
MG produced just 2,111 Twin Cam models, making them a rare commodity in modern time. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2014
The MGA began production in 1955. The styling and mechanics were different from previous MG models. The public had been given hints of its new design during the 1951 Le-Mans 24 hour endurance race. The car was driven by George Phillips and was actually a TD Midget with body modifications. The XPAG engine that had power many previous MG's was replaced by a new power-plant. This 1489 cc four-cylinder, B-series engine provided between 68 and 72 horsepower. The BMC B-series unit had made its debut in the MG Magnette saloon and proved to be a reliable and powerful engine.
To create enthusiasm for the cars prior to release, three aluminum bodied prototypes were created and dubbed EX182. They were entered into the Le Mans race where they finished fifth and sixth in their class. This epic achievement gave the MGA racing credibility and mechanical reliability.
The styling of the car was undeniably elegant. Its aerodynamic design and two-seat open-body was stylish and sporty. The vehicle sat very low to the ground providing an excellent center of gravity. This improved the handling and cornering ability. The chassis was a modified TD Midget unit with widely spaced side rails allowing for a low-seating position.
In the rear of the vehicle was a spare wheel mounted on the upper portion of the outside of the vehicle. Underneath was adequate trunk-space for luggage. At the front of the vehicle sat the engine.
Steel disc wheels were standard equipment but centre-locking wire wheels could be substituted at an additional fee. Since the car had an open top, it was subjected to the elements. A hard-top could be purchased making the vehicle more versatile.
A coupe version quickly followed and offered features such as wind-up windows, soft-top version, and other amenities that helped appeal to a wider customer base. To stay competitive on the race track, the MGA twin-cam version was introduced in 1958. This high performance version could be driven to the race track, race, and then be driven home. The engine had been modified with aluminum components, twin overhead camshafts, and dual SU carburetors. These enhancements increased the horsepower rating to 110 and the overall top speed to 115 miles-per-hour. Disc brakes replaced the drums which not only made the car more competitive, it made it safer. Unfortunately, the vehicle suffered from reliability issues and did not hold up well to the strain of racing. So in 1960, MG discontinued its production.
In 1959, MG introduced the MGA 1600's and offered them in coupe and open form. These were the standard MGA cars but with 1588 cc B-series pushrod engines. Drum brakes were used in the rear of the vehicle, but disc brakes were placed in the front.
In 1961, the MGA 1600 MKII was introduced. It featured a 1622 cc. B-series engine that was capable of producing 93 horsepower. 100 miles per hour was easily achieved by the MKII. Minor aesthetic changes were made to the front and rear of the vehicle.
In 1962, MG ceased production of the MGA. Nearly 100,000 examples had been produced during its life span making it the longest-running and best-selling MG. The success of the vehicle was in part to its styling, racing history, performance, and its competitive pricing. Many of the MGA's produced were exported to the United States. In the end and after so many years, the MGA was having trouble staying competitive with models offered by other manufacturers. By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2006
With p3 finish at Lime Rock, Ford Chip Ganassi Racing has finished on every IMSA and FIA World Endurance Championship race it has competed in since the IMSA WeatherTech Sports Car Championship race a...