In the summer of 1895, the BSA formed to exploit the Daimler engine patents within the British Empire. Production began in 1897, and over the next five years, a bewildering variety of models and engines were available. In 1902, Daimler officials got rid of the complicated line-up in favor of three models. One of the first customers after the change was Edward VII, which began a long history of Daimler-made royal automobiles. Daimler survived both World Wars as a subsidiary of BSA, but was purchased in 1960 by Jaguar.
After the purchase, the only Daimler models that were not based on existing Jaguar models were the limousines. These cars, wîth a history of service to the British royal family, had for many years been bodied by Vanden Plas. The Vanden Plas firm opened in 1884 in Brussels, Belgium. Demand for their work in England was so high that under a license agreement wîth the Brussels firm Vanden Plas (England) Limited was opened in 1913. Although both firms survived the First World War, the diminishing Belgian auto caused the firm to focus on its English subsidiary. The Vanden Plas cars are noted for their luxurious interiors, and were designed for those who could afford not only the purchase price of over 14,000 pounds, but the cost of a full time chauffeur as well.
Donated to SDAM by S. Steve SourapasSource - SDAM