Skip to main content
Top Auction Sales
1950 - 1953
1950 MG TD
1950 MG TD
1950 MG TD news, pictures, specifications, and information
History of MG TD 0653
This is car number TD 0653 and came off the production line in Abingdon on February 6, 1950 and was the 402nd TD manufactured. It is also one of only 149 Right Hand Drive cars produced for the home market (England) in 1950 and was registered in Cambridge (JE) with license BJE 131.
As a very early TD it had solid steel wheel, different from the perforated steel wheel found on most TD's.
In September 1968 it was purchased from an MG dealer in Huntingdon, England by a US Airman stationed at the RAF base in Alconbury for the sum of 190 pounds. At the end of his tour he shipped the car to Duluth Minnesota (July 1970). Most information prior to its purchase in 1968 has not been found, although the MG Dealer in Huntingdon stated the car had been used for racing in the late 1950's and early 1960's.
The car remained in Minnesota, and changed owners a number of times. The current owner purchased the car in Minnesota in December 1979 and began what turned out to be a 22 year ground-up restoration project. The car was finally completed in the spring of 2002 and put on the road in its new home of Seneca, SC.
The MG TA Midget appeared in the spring of 1936 as a replacement for the MG PB. It featured many components borrowed from Morris. Channel sections replaced the tubular cross-members making the vehicles ride more comfortable. The suspension was provided by leaf springs and beam-axle in the front and rear. The brakes were hydraulically operated drums, a first for MG. The body shell was assembled around the MG traditional way of using a wooden frame. All this added up to a total weight of 1,765 pounds.
A 1292 cc, overhead-valve, pushrod, four-cylinder engine was placed in the front and powered the rear wheels. Outfitted with dual horizontal SU carburetors, the engine produced 50 horsepower. The four-speed manual gearbox was synchromesh, another first for MG.
When first introduced, the two-seater vehicle could be purchased in open and closed configuration. Later, the open coupe, referred to as an Airline Coupe, was replaced with a Drophead style. The Drophead used a soft-top that could open and close depending on the driver and the weather conditions.
In 1939 World War II was beginning. MG was introducing its latest vehicle, the TB Midget. It was basically the same as the TA, but was equipped with a larger, 1250cc, engine. The four-cylinder over-head valve, XPAG power plant was borrowed from the new Morris 10. It produced 45 horsepower and was much more reliable than its predecessor. When the war began, production ceased. MG shifted its focus to creating equipment for military purposes.
At the end of the War, MG introduced the TC Midget. This was essentially a TB with very few modifications. The chassis was modified with rubber bush shackles in place of the sliding trunnion spring mountings. The transmission was the single-plate dry clutch and four-speed synchromesh unit. The engine was the XPAG 1250 cc pushrod engine. It was essential a TB offered in one body style, an open two-seater.
Even though the TC was a rebirth of an old model and used outdated mechanical equipments but modern interior, the TC Midget was very successful. During its four year production run, lasting from 1945 through 1949, more than 10,000 TC's were created.
In 1949, the TC was replaced by the TD Midget. It visually appeared like the previous Midgets, but was very different in mechanical ways. With a new chassis, it was sturdier and provided a comfortable ride. An independent suspension with double wishbones and coil springs were placed in the front. The vehicle was left-hand drive. The engine and transmission were identical to the TC. To comply with newly developed safety concerns and regulations, bumpers were placed on the front and in the rear.
A Mark II version used a more powerful version of the XPAG engine. With larger carburetors and higher compression ratio, the vehicle produced 57 horsepower. The suspension was modified and the interior received bucket seats.
During its four-year production run, the TD experienced even more success than its predecessor. Just like the TC, many of the TD Midgets were exported to the United States.
In 1953, the TD was updated and dubbed the TF. It was given a 1466 cc engine. Production continued through 1955 when it was replaced by the MGA.
Prior to World War I, the future of the company was unknown. Thanks to the success of the TA, the road was paved for MG to continue their prosperous status after the War. The models that followed brought modifications both visually and mechanically. The T-Series, lasting from 1936 through 1955, was a simple and reliable two-seater sports car that was fun to drive.
By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2006
Recent Vehicle Additions
1986 Dodge Shelby Omni GLHS
2017 MINI Countryman
2016 Citroen Dispatch
2016 Nissan e-NV200 WORKSPACe
2016 MINI Cooper S E Countryman ALL4
2017 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Edition 1
Vehicles by Company
Show All Manufacturers
Similarly Sized Vehicles from 1950
Crosley Series CD
Siata Amica 50
Similarly Priced Vehicles
Chevrolet Deluxe Series
Average Auction Sale:
Other models by MG
© 1998-2016. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.