The Bugatti is the most successful racing car ever built. Not only has it won more races than any other car, it has probably won more races than all other makes combined. Note the wire wheels wîth 'K Knock-off' hubs. There are three valves per cylinder, 2 intake and 1 exhaust.Source - Luray Cavern Museum
This 1927 Bugatti Type 40 has a two-seater body with a blue exterior with dark blue wings and tan upholstery. It is powered by a four-cylinder engine with a single overhead camshaft, twin Weber carburetors, displaces 1496cc's, and is capable of producing 70 horsepower.
The early history of this vehicle is unknown. It was purchased by Bugatti's Paris agency in late July of 1927 as a rolling chassis. It was brought back to the factory in the late 1950s and rebuilt. In the early 1960s it was brought to the US and into Michigan with a black and yellow boat-tail two-seater body. From then it passed through several owners and even spent some time in storage.
The coachwork is old and the modifications done by the factory in the 1950s are still evident. Its paint, leather, and most other components are 'worn' and in need of a refreshing or restoration. In many respects, it is an original and mostly complete Bugatti Type 40. It was offered for sale at the 2007 Christie's Auction of 'Exceptional Motor Cars at the Monterey Jet Center.' It had an estimated value of $150,000 - $200,000 which is very fair considering the cars condition and the rarity of the vehicle. The buyer agreed with the estimated value and was willing to part with $165,000, including buyers premium, to purchase this vehicle.
The Bugatti Type 40 was powered by a four-cylinder engine that produced an impressive amount of horsepower, considering the vehicles size and weight. It was a detuned version of the engine found in the Type 37 and initially featured a splash lubrication system to its five-bearing crankshaft. Later, a full-pressure lubrication system would become standard. The engines had 12 valves, twin Weber carburetors, coil ignition and produced around 70 horsepower. In traditional Bugatti fashion, the cylinder block and head were in the form of a single casting. The three-valve heads had two inlets each and a single large exhaust valve. They was mated to a four-speed manual gearbox with center change. The suspension was comprised of a beam front axle on semi-elliptic springs, while in the rear was a live axle on reversed quarter-elliptic springs. Hartford-type friction shock absorbers were placed on all four corners, as were the drum brakes.
The Type 40's were entry level vehicles that had low-cost construction methods making them reasonable to produce and purchase. The were introduced in 1926 and served as a replacement for the touring versions of the 16-valve Brescia range. The Type 38, introduced at the same time as the Type 40, was a replacement for the Type 30. The Type 37 with its 1500cc engine replaced the racing version of the Brescia.
The standard bodystyle for the Type 40 was the four-seater coupe. When introduced, it used the wheelbase of the Type 23, which measured 2.55 meters. Bugatti created the rolling chassis and custom coachbuilders outfitted the vehicle with its bodywork.
Around 745 (some sources say as high as 900) examples of the Type 40 were produced, and 35 examples of the Type 40A constructed. The Type 40A had engines fitted from the Type 49. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2007
More than three decades after taping a full-page ad ripped from a 1965 car magazine above his bunk on an Alaskan crab boat, Mark Hovander is touring the country this year with the same Ford Shelby GT350...