Built by the British Motor Corp. between 1955 and 1962, a total of 101,081 MGA's were produced. Of this total, 20,571 were produced in 1957. The MGA became the best selling British sports car in the USA for its time, and today, remains among the most popular British sports cars of all time.
This MGA roadster started its long racing career after being built from a street car by a father and son team in Southern California. Twenty of those years were spent filling three log books until it was put in storage for ten years. Discovered sitting covered and unused by Scott Brown and Ed Lamantia, who vowed to restore it to its original condition. 'Why would you drive that pile?', a fellow vintage racer asked at the time. Needless to say, the name stuck and the car would forever be known as 'The Pile' driven by Scott Brown.
Restored in the winter of 2004/2005, the Pile races anywhere from Portland to Monterey, usually locked in battle with another famous MGA, Vintage 31's namesake, Fast Eddie Lamantia's # 31 Vintage 31. Vintage 31 is dedicated to the integrity and sportsmanship of vintage racing, building camaraderie with every turn. The current owner hope their cars inspire fond memories for vintage enthusiasts everywhere. The Pile was awarded the Best Presentation and Performance Award' for Group 4 at the 2007 Wine Country Classic by Steve Earle.
This vehicle is painted in Jaguar D-Type Blue featuring a white dot on the rear panel.
Sold for $56,100 at 2011 Gooding & Company. This assembly for this MGA was completed on April 4th of 1957 and dispatched to the United States the very next day. The early ownership history is unknown; what is known is that it left the factory originally finished in a color scheme similar to the one it wears today. In 2003, the car was disassembled for a frame-off restoration that reportedly renewed the mechanical and cosmetic components of the car to their exacting standards. The engine, transmission, carburetors, brakes and suspension were rebuilt and the body blasted to bare metal and repainted in a two-stage process of polyurethane 5-star ChromaBase and clear-coat paint layers.
In 2011, the car was brought to Pebble Beach and offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction. It was estimated to sell for $40,000 - $50,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $56,100 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2011
This MGA was prepared by J.S. Inskip Motors, NYC, with factory assistance for the 1957 Sebring 12-hour race. Entered as part of a three-car team by U.S. distributor Hambro, the car finished the race and placed 2nd in class. Additionally, all three MGAs finished to capture the coveted Manufacturer's Team Prize. The car was driven by David Ash, Gus Ehrman and John Van Driel.
After a brief advertising career, the car was placed in the SCCA at the hands of Ted Rounds. Mr. Rounds piloted the car throughout the 1959 season at events at Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Thompson, and Giant's Despair. Over the season, it was entered in eight races and took four checkered flags. After the 1959 season, the car was sold to a friend of Mr. Rounds and never raced again.
The car was eventually purchased in 1975 by MG collector Jerry Goguen and was displayed in his MG Museum in Westminster, Vermont. The current owners purchased the car from Mr. Goguen.
After years of hard use racing and later years of inactivity in the museum, the car was in need to total restoration. John Tokar of Vintage Restoration LTD completed the restoration in September of 2004 in time for David Ash and Gus Ehrman to be reunited at Watkins Glen for the 50th anniversary of the Collier Cup Race.
Sold for $39,600 at 2013 Gooding & Company. The post-war sports car movement in the United States is credited by the inspirational MG cars when GIs brought their TC Midgets back from England. The TC's pre-war designs soon gave way to the less primitive TD and TF series. They had folding windscreens, slab fuel tanks, and exposed spare tires, which soon began to show their age when compared to the more modern designs offered by their peers. By the early 1950s, Lord Nuffield's Morris Garages was already working on a fresh and more modern design. The two-seater was given an envelope monocoque shell, integral fenders, enclosed radiator, and curved bonnet and boot lid that was drawn up by Syd Enever and Harry Herring. The new car was named the MG 'A' and entered production in 156. Under the bonnet was a 1.5 litre version of the company's XPAG inline four.
The aerodynamic body gave the MGA a 10 mph advantage over its TF sibling. With its 2,000 pound weight, it proved quite competitive with its four-cylinder British rivals Triumph and Austin-Healey. Sales were strong, with more than 13,000 produced in 1957 alone.
This MGA MK 1 Roadster is finished in Olde English White with a black leatherette interior and black vinyl folding top. The current owner has cared for the car for the past decade. The prior owner treated the car to a restoration in the early 2000s. It has been converted to 12-volt electrics but has never had a radio installed. The car has a walnut dashboard, zip-up vinyl tonnea cover, and a pair of side curtains. Aftermarket wind deflectors are attached to the windshield frame verticals with stainless hardware, and period-correct rearview mirrors are mounted forward on the front fenders. There is a set of chromed wire-basket headlamp protectors and a partial tool kit.
In 2013, the car was offered for sale at Gooding & Company's Scottsdale, Arizona sale. It was estimated to sell for $35,000 - $45,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $39,600 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2013
The MGA began production in 1955. The styling and mechanics were different from previous MG models. The public had been given hints of its new design during the 1951 Le-Mans 24 hour endurance race. The car was driven by George Phillips and was actually a TD Midget with body modifications. The XPAG engine that had power many previous MG's was replaced by a new power-plant. This 1489 cc four-cylinder, B-series engine provided between 68 and 72 horsepower. The BMC B-series unit had made its debut in the MG Magnette saloon and proved to be a reliable and powerful engine.
To create enthusiasm for the cars prior to release, three aluminum bodied prototypes were created and dubbed EX182. They were entered into the Le Mans race where they finished fifth and sixth in their class. This epic achievement gave the MGA racing credibility and mechanical reliability.
The styling of the car was undeniably elegant. Its aerodynamic design and two-seat open-body was stylish and sporty. The vehicle sat very low to the ground providing an excellent center of gravity. This improved the handling and cornering ability. The chassis was a modified TD Midget unit with widely spaced side rails allowing for a low-seating position.
In the rear of the vehicle was a spare wheel mounted on the upper portion of the outside of the vehicle. Underneath was adequate trunk-space for luggage. At the front of the vehicle sat the engine.
Steel disc wheels were standard equipment but centre-locking wire wheels could be substituted at an additional fee. Since the car had an open top, it was subjected to the elements. A hard-top could be purchased making the vehicle more versatile.
A coupe version quickly followed and offered features such as wind-up windows, soft-top version, and other amenities that helped appeal to a wider customer base. To stay competitive on the race track, the MGA twin-cam version was introduced in 1958. This high performance version could be driven to the race track, race, and then be driven home. The engine had been modified with aluminum components, twin overhead camshafts, and dual SU carburetors. These enhancements increased the horsepower rating to 110 and the overall top speed to 115 miles-per-hour. Disc brakes replaced the drums which not only made the car more competitive, it made it safer. Unfortunately, the vehicle suffered from reliability issues and did not hold up well to the strain of racing. So in 1960, MG discontinued its production.
In 1959, MG introduced the MGA 1600's and offered them in coupe and open form. These were the standard MGA cars but with 1588 cc B-series pushrod engines. Drum brakes were used in the rear of the vehicle, but disc brakes were placed in the front.
In 1961, the MGA 1600 MKII was introduced. It featured a 1622 cc. B-series engine that was capable of producing 93 horsepower. 100 miles per hour was easily achieved by the MKII. Minor aesthetic changes were made to the front and rear of the vehicle.
In 1962, MG ceased production of the MGA. Nearly 100,000 examples had been produced during its life span making it the longest-running and best-selling MG. The success of the vehicle was in part to its styling, racing history, performance, and its competitive pricing. Many of the MGA's produced were exported to the United States. In the end and after so many years, the MGA was having trouble staying competitive with models offered by other manufacturers. By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2006