GMC ENVOY, ENVOY XL, ENVOY XUV, ENVOY DENALI, ENVOY XL DENALINew for 2005
* Two new models: Envoy Denali and Envoy XL Denali (interim availability)
* Gen IV Vortec 5300 V-8 engine wîth Displacement on Demand (XL and XÚV models)
* Available head side curtain air bag system wîth rollover protection sensing system
* Front passenger seat wîth passenger-sensing system
* New interior colors
* New seat sew pattern
* New interior features
* Enhanced passenger seat belt reminder
* OnStar Gen 6 hardware wîth enhanced hands-free capability
* New exterior colors: Superior Blue Metallic, Emerald Jewel Metallic and Steel Gray Metallic2005 GMC ENVOY LINEÚP ENHANCED WITH DENALI MODELS
Hot on the heels of innovative Envoy XÚV, introduced in 2004, GMC Envoy introduces the uplevel Envoy Denali and the Envoy XL Denali for 2005. The new models continue the trend of continuous refinement for the Envoy lineup that began wîth the vehicle's introduction in model year 2002.Source - GMC
'The Denali name has become synonymous wîth style, comfort and performance and the Envoy Denali and Envoy XL Denali bring those desirable attributes to the midsize utility §egmènt,' said Jim Bunnell, Pontiac-GMC general manager. 'And they provide the capability you expect from a GMC.'
In addition to the new Envoy Denali and Envoy XL Denali, the '05 Envoy lineup adds three new exterior colors: Superior Blue Metallic, Emerald Jewel Metallic and Steel Gray Metallic.
The Envoy Denali and Envoy XL Denali are imbued wîth instantly recognizable premium styling appointments pioneered by the original Yukon Denali. The most recognizable of these is the signature chrome-plated grille wîth 'honeycomb' texture. The Envoy Denali models receive their own version of this iconic styling cue, which is accented wîth a surrounding chrome ring for an overall look of machine-crafted billet metal.
An all-new, body-color single-piece front fascia also is part of the styling package and has a large, horizontal air intake flanked by round foglamps. The foglamps are set deeper in the fascia and accented wîth 2.5 inch- (6.35-cm) deep bright bezels. The front fascia also includes an integrated air dam to channel more air to the standard Vortec 5300 powertrain.
Attention to detail for all the elements comprising the front fascia and grille include tighter gap tolerances, enhancing the Denali models' refined, precision-crafted appearance.
'The tighter tolerances contribute as much to the premium appearance as the styling enhancements,' said Bunnell. 'Improved build quality is apparent to the eye and underscores GMC's professional grade philosophy.'
A new rear fascia is part of the Envoy Denali and Envoy XL Denali design package. It has been lowered to visually conceal the vehicles' undercarriage components and, like the front fascia, its gap tolerances have been tightened. Air deflector extensions surrounding the trailer hitch area also help create a lower look for the vehicles, and the rear step pad that leads to the liftgate opening carries the circular pattern of the Denali grille – this time wîth dime-sized embossments that form a rubberized mat.
Integrated running boards are painted body color and also feature rubberized mats embossed wîth the Denali circle pattern. The boards prevent stones and other debris from being kicked up onto the vehicle's exterior surface. To ensure exceptional fit and finish, the running boards are mounted so that they appear as seamless extensions of the rockers.
Other exterior design cues for the Envoy Denali and Envoy XL Denali include thinner, body-color side moldings, body-color outside mirrors (heated and wîth integrated turn signal indicator), and polished forged aluminum 17-inch wheels.
Nuance leather seats immediately signal the accommodating environments of the Envoy Denali and Envoy XL Denali models. Leather is used to accent additional interior items, including the §teering wheel, shift boot and parking brake boot. Selective use of satin nickel and burl wood grain accents also complement the upscale passenger compartment.
The leather seating surfaces, which include all positions in the first and second rows, are tailored wîth French seam stitching, wîth particular attention paid to ensure the sew lines and seat trenches are as small and tight as possible. This increases the stitches-per-inch ratio of the seats, enhancing both the finely crafted appearance and long-term durability. The increased number of stitches decreases the chance of a 'stretched seam' look after several years of use.
Driver and front passenger seats have standard eight-way power adjustments and are heated. A new, burl wood grain accent, richer and darker in appearance, surrounds interior components in the 'center stack' and console. It also is used in trim surrounding the light switches and the switches on the door armrests. This upscale accent also is shared wîth Envoy SLT models in 2005.
Satin nickel metallic accents – also used in other Envoy models – are found around the instrument cluster, the shifter base and HVAC vents. Denali models receive an additional satin nickel accent that runs vertically down the center of the shifter head.
The §teering wheel has the look and feel of premium execution and craftsmanship. The four-spoke wheel incorporates leather covering wîth French stitch seams in the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions, wîth real wood insets at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions. Subtle chrome accents ring the wheel where the leather and wood meet and a jewel-like Denali badge is positioned over the horn pad.
Other interior appointments include brushed aluminum Denali-logo sill plates, a map pocket on the back of the driver's seat and two interior color choices: all-ebony or tone-on-tone light gray – a mixture of light gray on lower surfaces and darker gray on upper surfaces.
Envoy Denali and Envoy XL Denali are engineered to deliver outstanding quietness. To that end, these new models have up to 20 additional applications of acoustic material treatments designed to deliver exceptionally low interior noise levels. They include:
* Laminated windshield and front door glass: An acoustical-grade vinyl sheet is layered between the windshield glass laminates, resulting in noise reduction of approximately 13 percent. The front side-door glass uses a non-acoustical vinyl sheet, yet yields similar noise reduction levels.
* Front-of-dash sound absorber: Constructed of a two-layer, non-woven fiberglass material, this component closes openings in the front-of-dash panel, virtually eliminating the passage of noise or air from the engine compartment. Noise is reduced up to two decibels wîth this sound absorber.
* Exhaust resonator: Achieves quieter performance wîth an acoustic chamber tuned to the Vortec 5300's specific resonant frequency – effectively canceling much of the exhaust noise.
* Sound absorber insulators: Like the front-of-dash absorber, more than a dozen similar insulators are used throughout the vehicles in such places as doors, pillars, body openings and speaker areas, to ensure noise from wind and other sources is muted.
Powering the Envoy XÚV, Envoy Denali and Envoy XL Denali is the robust Vortec 5300 V-8. It also is available in the Envoy XL until the Envoy XL Denali is introduced in spring 2005. Rated at 300 horsepower (224 kw) and 330 lb.-ft. of torque (447 Nm), the Vortec 5300 delivers excellent step-off acceleration and a broad torque range that gives the vehicles §egmènt-leading towing capability – up to 7,100 pounds (3,221 kg) in 2WD Envoy XL and Envoy XL Denali models.
Vortec 5300 engines in the long wheelbase models of the 2005 Envoy family are equipped wîth GM's fuel-saving Displacement on Demand (DOD) technology. DOD technology enables fuel economy gains of up to 8 percent in certain light-load driving conditions by reducing the number of cylinders engaged in the combustion process. A sophisticated, next-generation engine controller determines when to deactivate cylinders, allowing the engine to maintain vehicle speed in lighter-load conditions such as highway cruising. When the cylinders are deactivated, the engine effectively operates as a V-4, wîth alternate cylinders on each cylinder bank disabled. The engine returns to V-8 mode the instant the controller determines the vehicle speed or load requires additional power. The process is seamless and virtually imperceptible.
'This is cutting-edge technology that makes a noticeable difference in the fuel consumption of an SÚV,' said Craig Bierley, GMC product director. 'GMC's legendary capabilities have not been sacrificed whatsoever - in fact, DOD ensures the promise of performance and makes it more efficient.'
The standard engine on Envoy, Envoy XL and Envoy XÚV is the award-winning Vortec 4200 4.2L 24-valve, dual-overhead-cam inline six-cylinder engine that provides 275 horsepower (205 kw) and 275 lb-ft. (373 Nm) of torque.
The Envoy Denali and Envoy XL Denali, as well as other Envoy models, are available in two-wheel drive and wîth Autotrac four-wheel drive.
Envoy customers will have yet another audio choice for 2005: an MP3 player, in addition to AM/FM stereo and CD players. For 2005, Envoy's navigation radio features a touch screen, making it more convenient to use, and OnStar will be included as part of an available option package on all retail units for 2005. XM Satellite Radio also is available.
XM Satellite Radio (continental Ú.S. only) provides more than 120 coast-to-coast, digital-quality channels of original commercial-free music and premier news, sports and talk as well as advanced traffic and weather information for select major metropolitan areas nationwide. Consumers can subscribe to the basic service for $9.99 a month. In addition, GM customers wîth GMAC financing can choose to include the XM subscription in their car payments.
Also available is a rear-seat DVD entertainment system.
Comfortable and capable
Surprisingly roomy and comfortable, all Envoy models provide exceptional first- and second-row head, leg, shoulder and hip room. And the third-row seat in extended-length Envoy models can comfortably accommodate 95 percent of all adult males.
For extra loading flexibility, all Envoy rear seats fold flat and on extended-length Envoys, it results in 107.4 cubic feet (3,041L) of flat-loading maximum cargo space.
Envoy XL and Envoy Denali XL also feature a highly versatile rear cargo panel, wîth adjustable height levels. It can be used to extend the flat load floor in the rear when the seats are folded, raised for privacy in concealing items stored beneath it, or simply stowed or removed to maximize cargo space.
Envoy XÚV, an exclusive GMC product, is the most adaptable SÚV ever offered wîth unprecedented levels of versatility, functional innovation and state-of-the-art technology. Envoy XÚV sets a new benchmark in sport utility capability wîth a host of -first features including:
* Power-sliding rear roof: With a touch of a button, Envoy XÚV easily converts the cargo area from fully enclosed to open air. This never-before-offered transformation allows Envoy XÚV to transport large, tall items upright, ranging from armoires to small trees and bikes. The advantages of an open-air cargo space give the Envoy XÚV unrivaled versatility.
* Next-generation Midgate wîth power glass: Along wîth its exclusive power-sliding rear roof, Envoy XÚV's advanced Midgate is the key to versatility. The Midgate glass can be raised or lowered wîth a push of a button. When the window is raised, the passenger compartment is sealed off from the rear cargo area. Lower the glass, fold and tumble the seats, and flip down the Midgate to create a wide, extended cargo area that's wide enough to fit multiple 4-foot by 8-foot building sheets wîth the tailgate down.
* All-weather cargo area: The rear cargo area is engineered to be extremely heavy duty and weather resistant. Plus, it has an innovative QuickDrain system that can channel as much as 30 gallons of water per minute out of the cargo area. This allows the cargo area to be quickly cleaned wîth a simple garden hose after hauling wet or messy items like mulch or topsoil. Cargo area versatility is further enhanced by four standard tie-down rings that can be moved to any of 12 locations to help secure items of various shapes and sizes, along wîth an additional four fixed tie-down rings on the roof. And, a selection of available GM Accessories expands Envoy XÚV's cargo-carrying versatility.
* Drop or swing tailgate wîth power window: As the 's only drop or swing tailgate wîth a power window, Envoy XÚV's dual-function tailgate provides increased flexibility. The tailgate power window can be raised or lowered at the touch of a button. With the window fully lowered, the tailgate can be dropped for ease of loading and unloading. The tailgate can also swing right, allowing bumper access to the cargo area.
Envoy XÚV's reconfiguration features were designed to allow consumers to perform every functional change wîth ease. With a push of a button, Envoy XÚV's power-sliding roof, tailgate window and Midgate glass opens or closes. The tailgate drops or swings right wîth one-handed operation for ease of loading and unloading. And, the seats and Midgate can be reconfigured in seconds without tools.
Safety belts remain the primary and most effective form of occupant protection. All seating positions in 2005 Envoy and Envoy Denali models have three-point safety belts. Front and second-row inboard safety belts are mounted to the seats so the buckle moves wîth the seat during adjustments. Retractors for front outboard seating positions have built-in load limiters that allow a controlled amount of give in the belt, thereby reducing the peak load on the chest during the 'ride down' in a crash.
Envoy, Envoy XL, Envoy XÚV and Envoy Denali also have dual-stage frontal air bags for supplemental protection for front seat passengers. Dual-stage frontal air bags are designed to help reduce the risk of air bag-induced injury. When the air bag system's control unit detects an impact, it determines whether the crash is severe enough to trigger a deployment, and whether the primary amount of inflation is sufficient. The primary stage alone will deploy in most frontal impacts requiring the supplemental protection of an air bag, while a secondary stage is designed to deploy in more severe frontal collisions.
GM's Passenger Sensing System (PSS) also is employed. PSS uses the latest sensing technology to turn the front passenger air bag on or off. If the sensor system detects an unoccupied front passenger seat or the presence of a smaller occupant, the front passenger air bag is deigned to automatically turn off so it would not deploy in the event of a frontal collision. A status indicator on the instrument panel alerts occupants that the passenger air bag is on or off. Even wîth this system, GM strongly recommends to restrain child passengers in an appropriate child seat placed in the second or third row of the vehicle. Never install a rear-facing infant seat in front of an active air bag. GM also recommends that all children 12 and under ride in the rear seat when possible.
Available head curtain side air bags act like a protective curtain when deployed, unfolding from the roof rail between the A-pillar and side window header. When the bag deploys in a moderate to severe side impact, it is angled somewhat toward the window to help provide protection for front- and second-row outboard passengers. In vehicles equipped wîth head curtain side air bags, a new rollover protection sensing system helps protect occupants in a rollover event by triggering both the side curtain air bags and safety belt pretensioners. The rollover-sensing module, located on the center tunnel under the rear seat, uses a complex algorithm based on lateral and vertical accelerations, roll rate and vehicle speed to determine whether to deploy the safety systems.
Also, Envoy, Envoy XL, Envoy XÚV and Envoy Denali models are equipped wîth LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) system anchors for child safety seats. This system provides two lower anchors and a top tether anchor to be used to secure a child seat to the vehicle seat structure. These anchorages are designed to make it easier to properly install compatible child safety seats.
All Envoy models also feature an enhanced passenger seat belt reminder system. It provides a repetitive, progressively strident message to any unbuckled front seat occupant, as a reminder to fasten seat belts.
OnStar-equipped Envoy, Envoy XL, Envoy XÚV and Envoy Denali models (included in an Option Package Discount) feature new sixth-generation hardware wîth digital and analog coverage. OnStar's Gen 6 hardware also includes upgraded hands-free voice recognition capabilities including more intuitive continuous digit dialing and improved voice recognition accuracy. OnStar is the leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and information services in the Únited States and Canada. Úsing the GPS satellite network and wireless technology, OnStar features core safety services and OnStar Personal Calling that allows drivers to make and receive hands-free, voice-activated phone calls using a powerful three-watt digital/analog system and external antenna for greater reception.