Image credits: © Mazda.
2005 Mazda 3 news, pictures, and information
Mazda at its bestoverview
mazda3: the inspiration of a great heritage
The essential elements of Mazda's 83-year heritage are a passion for innovation and excellence in engineering, a flair for design and a pursuit of spirited driving dynamics. It is when all these elements come together that Mazda products most distinguish themselves. The rotary-powered RX-7 sports cars, the renowned MX-5 roadster (the best-selling roadster ever) and the recently launched Mazda RX-8 are inspiring examples, as was the company's 1991 victory at Le Mans.
Today, Mazda's heritage is innate in all its products. The result? An almost indefinable sense of exhilaration and excitement we like to call Zoom-Zoom. Much more than a marketing slogan, Zoom-Zoom is an emotional compass that guides every aspect of Mazda's product development. For the past two years, wîth the launch of each of its ‘new-generation' products in South Africa – Mazda6, Mazda RX-8, and now the Mazda3 – Mazda has added scope to its meaning. The first of these products, the Mazda6 defined Zoom-Zoom and has captured more than 70 awards globally since its launch, making it the most acclaimed Mazda in history.
The new Mazda3 range assembles all the best qualities of its predecessors, refined wîth the insights gained by Mazda's designers and engineers through the evolution of the new-generation Mazda product line-up. Mazda3 introduces a fresh, confident vision to a §egmènt that has left the customers of other brands wanting more. With the Mazda3 range, Mazda responds to all those who seek a memorable driving experience, in a car that redefines the style, build-quality and performance in a §egmènt that has traditionally been focused on functionality and sales volumes.
In South Africa, Mazda3 is offered as a distinctive sedan or hatch ('Sport'), wîth a choice of two four-cylinder 1.6- and 2.0-litre powertrains. The 1.6-litre engine delivers 77kW @ 6000rpm and torque of 146Nm @ 4000rpm, while the 2.0-litre powerplant delivers 104kW @ 6500rpm and torque of 182Nm @ 4500rpm. A five-speed manual transmission offers smooth, sporty shifting to enhance the pleasure of driving Mazda3's spirited engines. Mazda3 is another example of Mazda's fresh approach to designing and building cars that combine excellent manufacturing quality wîth an innovative, global perspective to create cars that epitomize the company's Zoom-Zoom philosophy. High standards of craftsmanship, refined during the development of Mazda6 and Mazda RX-8, were applied to Mazda3 range to deliver a vehicle wîth levels of quality that rival most of the world's top C-§egmènt models. Superior build quality characterizes the new Mazda3 range.
With Mazda3, Mazda set out to create a car that's different from conventional cars in the §egmènt, and further develops the style everybody can recognise
as a Mazda car. Mazda's strategy was to present a clear differentiation between the sedan and Sport, by creating two distinctively different body designs. The Sport can be described as sporty, modern, aggressive, distinctive and exciting, while the sedan can be aptly described as sophisticated, prestigious and sleek. Mazda3's exhilarating driving performance has been packaged in ways that would appeal to the widest customer base.
Fit and finish are of the same high standards pioneered by the Mazda6 and continued wîth Mazda RX-8. Intense efforts to ensure solid, instantly recognizable craftsmanship wîth the Mazda3 exterior have been undertaken to deliver outstanding build quality.
Combined wîth Mazda3's dynamic exterior design, the intrinsic quality enhances the sense of satisfaction and pride of ownership every time the car is taken to the road. Both the Mazda3 sedan and Mazda3 Sport version offer four similar specification levels:
· 1.6-litre Original
· 1.6-litre Active
· 1.6-litre Dynamic
· 2.0-litre Individual
The Mazda3 1.6 Active / Dynamic and 2.0-litre Individual models include innovative new features not seen before in a Mazda in this §egmènt, such as an Auto Light System (which automatically switches on the lights when entering a tunnel - or when night approaches - but will not switch on the lights when Mazda3 momentarily enters shady areas) and a Rain Sensor Wiper feature (which offers complete control of wiper on/off and wiper speed, promoting visibility and giving a better view of the road in bad weather). The Mazda3 2.0-litre Individual models are differentiated by a Sport Appearance Package for a sportier, more evocative vehicle personality and on-road presence. The features of the Sports Appearance Packages include: Body-coloured aero-type front grille, sports-type front and rear bumpers, side-skirts, rear roof (on the Sport) or trunk (on the sedan) spoilers, sporty-type front fog lamps and unique rear combination lamps.
Besides halogen headlamps, a fully automatic air conditioning system, indash 6 CD changer, the 2.0-litre individual models also feature an innovative blackout lighting system provides indirect blue lighting for the instrument panel when a door is opened, gradually adding amber-red backlighting after the
ignition is turned on, which gives a pleasant note to the interior instrumentation and reduces eye fatigue. Nowhere are Mazda efforts to achieve customer delight more obvious than in the Mazda3 interior, wîth its fresh, pure ambience and high levels of craftsmanship that can be seen in the design and feel of the materials. Functional beauty is achieved by a combination of form, colour and high usability – such as switches are located lower and closer to the driver's hands for easier operation. These key elements in Mazda's ‘Stylish, Insightful and Spirited' brand DNA are abundantly obvious inside the new Mazda3. Mazda3 developers created a comfortable and a pleasingly stimulating environment wîth the goal of making it one of the most enjoyable cars in its §egmènt. From its excellent modular entertainment system, to seats wîth firm yet comfortable support, every aspect of Mazda3's interior takes Mazda a step further to
deliver even higher levels of customer delight. An uncluttered instrument panel, combined wîth clean-cut door and trim, reinforce a feeling of spaciousness, comfort and quality, while the prominent three-meter cluster, §teering layout and sports-style seats give a refined yet sporty feel for driver and front passenger.
Dynamically, the Mazda3 exhibits the same Zoom-Zoom handling and control that characterises all new-generation Mazda vehicles by delivering a reassuring §teering feel and superior braking performance. Innovative front and rear suspension systems have been designed and tuned to ensure an excellent balance between handling stability and ride comfort. Electro-hydraulic power-assisted §teering (EHPAS) on the 2.0-litre Individual models, wîth electronic controlled hydraulics, supplies precise §teering feel at all speeds, while Mazda3's braking system delivers responsive, linear braking wîth robust controllability.
A stiff body structure is one of the main factors ensuring that Mazda3, whether sedan or Sport, is a fun car to drive and embodies the same Zoom-Zoom
character common to all new-generation Mazda vehicles. Mazda3's all-new body structure provides high levels of torsional and flexural rigidity for superior
handling stability and low levels of NVH transmission for a relaxing, quality driving experience. Where driver and passenger safety is concerned. Mazda's Advanced Impact Distribution and Absorption System (MAIDAS) technology has been applied to the Mazda3. The body structure incorporates a triple-H structure, which forms a protective cage for safety in a side-on or offset collision, and front and rear crushable zones. Impact-absorbing structure channels energy from a frontal impact into the front side-members, while large-section centre pillars, crossmembers and side-sills disperse impact energy throughout the entire body structure to minimise cabin deformation. Dual-stage front airbags are fitted to all models and deploy according to impact severity to maximize passenger protection and minimise the risk of airbag-inflicted injuries. Front and rear curtain airbags and driver and passenger side airbags are fitted as standard to the 1.6-litre Dynamic and 2.0- litre Individual models, providing excellent protection from all directions. The driver and passenger front seatbelts feature pre-tensioners for instant hold and load-limiters, which loosen the seatbelt in a controlled manner to help reduce excessive pressure on the chest.
Four-wheel ABS wîth Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and built-in mechanical brake assistance, air conditioner, power §teering and an in-car
entertainment system is fitted as standard equipment across the Mazda3 range. Also featured in all models are: a transponder immobiliser system wîth alarm
and a keyless entry system wîth remote central locking and power door locking.
'Mazda3 is Mazda at its best,' says Rob Crouse, Mazda South Africa's Marketing Manager. 'It is the third new-generation Mazda, and the third allnew
Mazda launched in less than 14 months in South Africa. It is also proof that Mazda's product formula – craftsmanship and quality that customers expect, mixed wîth the dynamic performance that is elemental to Zoom-Zoom – really works.
'With Mazda3, Mazda demonstrates that its long-standing traditions of excellence, of imaginative design underpinned by intelligent engineering, continue to set new standards for the . This is the true DNA of the Mazda brand.' The Mazda3 comes has 15 000 km service intervals, three-year/100 000 km warranty, as well as the Mazda Motion five-year, 60 000 km maintenance plan and roadside assistance. 'Mazda3 is about giving extra satisfaction and pride of ownership that lasts for years; it's about making every trip enjoyable and entertaining,' states Mr. Crouse.
overview: evocative, roomy, functional The new Mazda3 introduces unmistakable Mazda styling and functional intelligence to the C-§egmènt. As wîth all new-generation Mazda vehicles, its exterior design is dynamic and strong wîth a road presence that visually communicates the exciting, fun-to-drive character that is the essence of Zoom-Zoom. Its roomy interior is designed to evoke excitement and delight wîth high levels of interior functionality and comfort.
Mazda3's exterior design, whether the Mazda3 sedan or Mazda3 Sport version, is meant to express movement combined wîth muscular solidity and stability, and to be another tangible expression of Mazda's brand DNA evoked by the Mazda6 and Mazda RX-8.
Building on methods used to develop the flagship Mazda RX-8, Mazda3's interior is far roomier than the car's dynamic exterior indicates. It is sporty yet
comfortable, wîth intelligent functionality and storage solutions so important to a vehicle in this §egmènt.
Mazda3 (sedan): refined and sporty The Mazda3 is a sedan wîth a personality all its own. It takes the traditional three-box design a step further by evoking dynamic proportions and taut contours for a strikingly refined and sporty look, without sacrificing space on the inside. A long wheelbase, short overhangs, a short but high rear deck, and a compact-lòòking cabin combine to deliver an elegant coupé-like design targeted at customers lòòking for an aggressive but sophisticated sedan. (concept carz)
· Lines extending from the five-point grille through the bonnet convey a subtler, elegant look.
· Flared front and rear fenders suggest muscularity and strength.
· Compact-lòòking cabin gives an elegant yet sporty appearance when seen from the side.
· Short, high rear deck seamlessly extends the lines flowing from the front of the vehicle for a powerful appearance.
· Elongated rear combination lamps and flared rear fenders enhance the well-planted stance and look of stability.
Mazda3 Sport (hatch) exterior: Bold and confident
Dynamic, solid proportions – created by a long wheelbase and cabin, short overhangs and large-diameter wheels, and aggressively flared front and rear
fenders – give the Mazda3 Sport an assertive presence, even when viewed from a distance. The Mazda3 Sport visually conveys dynamic potential in a powerful and confident way, resulting in an exciting hatchback personality wîth design flair that is targeted to appeal to a more youthful mindset.
· Bold character lines extending from the prominent five-point grille up and over the bonnet give a more emphatically contoured look than the sedan. (concept carz)
· Únique triangular C-pillar enhances the dynamic movement of the overall design.
· Sculpted tailgate reassures wîth stability and solidity.
· Flared front and rear fenders communicate tenacious road-holding capability.
· Integrated circular headlamps and rear combination lamps add a distinguished touch to the exterior design.
Package: functionality, spaciousness & comfort
The Mazda3 range is one of the longest, widest and tallest vehicles in its §egmènt. It is also relatively upright, despite its aggressive design. As a result, Mazda3 is §egmènt leading for front and rear shoulder-room and one of the best-in-class for knee-clearance, wîth a truly roomy interior wîth ample space for four adults to travel in comfort. Add to this a host of intelligent storage compartments and a large, flexible luggage compartment.
· Despite the wide body (1755mm), the distance between the outermost points of the door mirrors is just 1935mm.
· A long wheelbase (2640mm) and wide tread (1530mm front / 1515mm rear) and good overall height (1465mm) allow for a spacious, airy cabin.
· Tumble angle of just 20º delivers generous shoulder room front and back.
· The long wheelbase and optimal shaping of the front seats assure generous knee clearance for rear passengers.
· Hip point is higher (approximately 30mm higher than the Mazda Etude) for a better view of the road and easy entry and exit.
· Steering column offers tilt (up to 40mm) and telescope (up to 50mm) adjustment.
· Driver seat provides up to 55mm of vertical and up to 250mm of horizontal adjustment to allow drivers of practically all sizes to find their optimum driving position.
· Ratchet-type lever gives easy seat adjustment, while both cushion and seatback move up and down together to ensure optimal comfort.
· Parking brake is located beside and behind the gear lever allowing smaller drivers to operate it more easily when the seat is in a forward position.
Instrumentation and lighting
· An uncluttered instrument panel, combined wîth clean-cut door and trim, reinforce a feeling of spaciousness, comfort and quality.
· Prominent three-meter cluster, §teering layout and sports-style seats give a refined yet sporty feel for driver and front passenger.
· Metallic-look accents, amber-red lighting and dual-textured, leatherwrapped §teering wheel convey a sense of the vehicle's sporty essence.
· Instrument panel and upper door trim use the same high-quality textured material for a stylish, coordinated look.
· Design of the instrument panel's central section has clear separation of meters and controls for safe and easy operation when driving.
· New interior lighting concept links changes in illumination to switch operations for improved visibility and adds an element of precision and control to overall vehicle functionality.
· On the 2.0-litre Individual models, the amber-red lighting of the instruments and console may be softened by indirect blue illumination.
Interior options for personal expression
A choice of contrasting interior colours and materials offer the Mazda3 owner an opportunity to express their own personality and taste. These choices enhance Mazda3's highly-ergonomic environment which, quite literally, wraps around the driver to give greater comfort and control, and a heightened sense of connection to the car's overall performance.
- Active Pattern Blue Original & Active
- Active Pattern Grey Original & Active
- Pure Sport Blue Dynamic & Individual
- Pure Sport Red Dynamic & Individual
Interior storage compartments
· Eight-litre, 260mm-deep glove-box offers space for a two-litre beverage bottle.
· Glove-box has the capacity for up to 16 CD cases.
· Double-bottomed centre console box features an upper tray wîth space for a mobile phone or other similar-sized items, and a lower box wîth 3.6- litre capacity, sufficient for 13 CDs.
· Front section of the console box has two cupholders (for one large-size and one medium-size cup) wîth a flip-back lid.
· The Mazda3 Sport model offers §egmènt-leading distance between the rear wheel wells (1050mm) for generous luggage compartment volume. This is due in part to the rear suspension coil springs located beneath the floor.
· Rear seatbacks and cushions are optimally shaped to give a flat floor when folded forward (60/40).
· Mazda3 Sport model offers unparalleled luggage compartment flexibility wîth a subtrunk for storage of car-care products or other items.
· Front floor section of the Mazda3 Sport's luggage compartment can be used to separate the luggage space into upper and lower sections, and the rear floor section can be raised to create a partition between the front and rear of the luggage compartment.
· The four door's high deck design and location of rear coil springs under the floor result in greater trunk width and capacity (419 litres VDA).
· Double-link trunk hinges neither intrude into the trunk when the lid is closed nor obstruct the trunk when the lid is open.
sports appearance package: zoom-zoom!
Both the Mazda3 and Mazda3 Sport 2.0-litre Individual versions are available wîth Sports Appearance Packages, as standard equipment, for a sportier, more evocative vehicle personality and on-road presence. The development of the Sports Appearance Packages was an integral part of the Mazda3 program and the resulting components combine seamlessly wîth the body contours of both body styles for a look that cannot be achieved wîth normal aftermarket styling.
The features of the Sports Appearance Packages include:
· Body-coloured aero-type front grille
· Sports-type front and rear bumpers
· Rear roof (Mazda3 Sport ) or trunk (Mazda3 ) spoilers
· Sporty-type front fog lamps
· Únique rear combination lamps: LED (Mazda3 Sport) and black bezel bulb type (Mazda3)
overview: balanced dynamism, flair
The new Mazda3 range offers C-§egmènt customers high levels of driving flair and enjoyment that is the essence of Zoom-Zoom. As the third in the line of
new-generation Mazda vehicles introduced in South Africa, Mazda3 embodies everything learned from developing the award-winning Mazda6 and the Mazda RX-8. Mazda3 delivers a superbly-balanced dynamic performance that combines spirited engines, exceptional ride quality, a predictable and reassuring §teering feel and braking performance that inspires confidence. Mazda3's MZR 1.6- and 2.0-litre petrol engine line-up was developed to meet the diverse demands of a global market. A product of Mazda's innovative approach to engineering, they deliver linear, lively driving enjoyment, and a minimum on environmental impact wîth good fuel economy and low emissions.
The 1.6-litre engine delivers 77kW @ 6000rpm and torque of 146Nm @ 4000rpm, while the 2.0-litre powerplant delivers 104kW @ 6500rpm and torque of 182Nm @ 4500rpm. A five-speed manual transmission offers smooth, sporty shifting to enhance the pleasure of driving Mazda3's spirited engines. Chassis systems are tuned to deliver an overall high performance feel that balances the smooth handling and ride comfort characteristics of Mazda's new-generation products. The §teering is precise, linear and predictable in all situations, while larger brakes and linear booster give safe, effective deceleration that supports driver confidence.
A highly-rigid body structure delivers superior torsional and flexural stiffness, essential to ensuring Mazda3's superior handling and §teering. Thanks to
Mazda's innovative approach to safety, Mazda3's body resists deformation and disperses impact energy in all collision situations to ensure passenger cell integrity and excellent passive safety.
mazda3 engines: spirited and frugal wîth low emissions
Mazda3's engine line up includes two MZR inline four-cylinder petrol powerplants that meet the demands of global customers lòòking for linear, lively power combined wîth low fuel consumption and emissions. Coupled to a redesigned five-speed manual transmission, they contribute to that spirited driving experience that epitomizes Zoom-Zoom.
· Linear engine response to accelerator-pedal input for immediate acceleration and a lively driving feel.
· Low flow-resistance air cleaner, intake manifold wîth long (600mm) equallength runners and high-flow ports for robust torque across the speed range.
· Sequential Valve Timing (S-VT) in the 1.6-litre models optimises valve open/close timing according to engine speed and air intake for more efficient engine operation throughout the rev range, while maintaining optimal driveability and power delivery.
· Variable Induction System (VIS) controls intake manifold length by opening a valve at higher engine speeds to optimise intake efficiency and boost torque.
· Stainless steel exhaust manifold wîth long, equal-length runners (1.6-litre: 4-1 configuration, 2.0-litre: 4-2-1 configuration) optimises exhaust gas flow
for enhanced power and torque, and for a sporty engine note.
· Rigid aluminium-alloy engine block, and deep-skirt construction to give superior transmission coupling stiffness, combined wîth lightweight pistons and con-rods for lower overall engine noise.
· Cams and shimless tappets have a low-friction finish which, combined wîth lower valve-train inertia and valve-spring weight, minimise valvetrain noise for a clearer engine note.
· Lightweight pistons, low-tension piston rings and shimless tappets contribute to minimal friction loss and improved fuel economy.
dynamic five-speed manual transmission: smoother, quieter operation
· Cable-controlled, five-speed manual transmission suppresses engine vibration to the shift lever for smoother, quieter operation.
· Cable-bend angles and tolerances are minimised for a sporty, direct shift feel.
· Linked double-cone synchronizers for first and second gears (where synchronizer load is greatest) lighten shift operation for sportier smoothaction, short-throw shifting.
· Special surface treatment applied to the shift rod, crank lever and control rod, plus Teflon coating on bushes, combined wîth a double-construction detent ball, reduces overall friction by up to 50 percent.
handling & control: superior suspension, §teering and brakes
Mazda3 range exhibits the same Zoom-Zoom handling and control that characterise all new-generation Mazda vehicles by delivering a reassuring §teering feel and superior braking performance. Innovative front and rear suspension systems have been designed and tuned to ensure an excellent balance between handling stability and ride comfort. Electro-hydraulic powerassisted §teering (EHPAS) on the 2.0-litre Individual models, wîth electronic controlled hydraulics, supplies precise §teering feel at all speeds, while Mazda3's braking system delivers responsive, linear braking wîth robust controllability.
· Optimised suspension layout and geometry ensure outstanding manoeuvrability.
· A MacPherson-type front suspension system employs a four-point rubber mounting system to provide robust handling stability.
· Large front dampers wîth 35mm diameter pistons feature built-in rebound springs optimised to suppress wheel bounce when cornering for stable, sporty handling and ride comfort.
· Input-splitting design for the upper strut mounts allows independent optimisation of damper and spring rates for more refined handling and improved ride comfort.
· Fluid-filled bushings – similar in size to those on the Mazda6 – are used at the rear of the lower arms to contribute to Mazda3's superior balance of handling stability and ride comfort.
· The §teering gear is mounted lower and tie rods are shorter to give good linear toe-control and minimal toe-out for improved handling stability.
· Multi-link rear suspension design based on the Mazda6 to give larger-car handling characteristics and improved performance.
· Separate position of springs and dampers reduces damper friction and frees space for a larger luggage compartment, while maintaining a long coil spring stroke.
· Layout of each link is optimised to control rear-wheel camber and achieve optimum roll-centre height.
· Mazda3 has been tuned for a forward-inclined roll-centre axis to achieve exceptional road-holding and straight-line stability, similar to a rear-wheel.
· Bushings are designed and positioned to optimise toe changes in response to lateral forces for enhanced road-holding performance.
· Twintube gas-filled dampers wîth large-diameter (35mm) pistons substantially improve handling and ride comfort.
· Electro-hydraulic power-assisted §teering (2.0-litre Individual models) combines merits of an hydraulic system wîth those of an electronic one.
· An electric motor, not the engine, is used to drive an hydraulic pump and can better respond to vehicle speed and §teering input for more precise control of §teering assist.
· Electric motor lowers speed of hydraulic pump during situations where power assist is not required, reducing energy loss and contributing to lower overall fuel consumption.
· Short turning circle (5.2m), gives excellent manoeuvrability, allowing any driver to handle the car wîth confidence.
· Turning radius is at the same level as competing vehicles wîth shorter wheelbase and narrower tread.
· ABS wîth electronic brake distribution and brake assist system is available as standard across the range.
· Responsive linear deceleration is enhanced by exceptional robustness and controllability, for some of the shortest stopping distances in the C§egmènt.
· Robust front discs (1.6-litre:278mm or 2.0-litre:300mm depending on model) and rear discs (1.6-litre:265mm or 2.0-litre:280mm) are larger and thicker (25mm front/11mm rear) than the previous-generation model yielding greater braking effectiveness, consistency, rigidity and response.
· A 10-inch single vacuum booster enhances brake effectiveness and response by ensuring linear increase in deceleration as pedal travel increases.
· Booster is tuned to shorten pedal travel for more instantaneous response to braking inputs.
· Newly-developed low-expansion brake hoses, reduced master cylinder travel loss, optimised brake pad friction characteristics plus high-grip tires further optimise braking performance. body, nvh, safety: rigid, quiet, safe A stiff body structure is one of the main factors ensuring that Mazda3 is a fun car to drive and embodies the same Zoom-Zoom character common to all new-generation Mazda vehicles.
Mazda3's all-new body structure provides high levels of torsional and flexural rigidity for superior handling stability and low levels of NVH transmission for a relaxing, quality driving experience. Relentlessly, engineers worked to refine the NVH performance of the front suspension and subframe and determine an ideal solution that balanced weight, cost, and effectiveness. The Mazda3's rigid body structure is also safety optimised, the result of Mazda's Advance Impact Distribution and Absorption System, which delivers a safe and robust passenger cell that resists impact deformation and disperses impact energy in all possible crash scenarios.
· Straight, large-section front side-members mounted to the cabin to help maximize front-end flexural rigidity for enhanced §teering performance.
· Left and right front side-members are coupled to the dash cross-member to suppress lateral deformation.
· The cowl panel linking left and right front suspension towers is mounted to the cabin to prevent the suspension towers leaning inwards and to help maintain ideal suspension geometry.
· Large-section side-sills and floor cross-members add to torsional and flexural rigidity.
· Three cross-members beneath the floor tunnel suppress flexing of the body due to §teering inputs to provide for a strong linear §teering feel.
· The rear floor features reinforced coupling stiffness between the side- and cross-members.
· Side-panel inners feature tailor-welded blanks for low weight and high rigidity.
· Optimally-positioned gussets on the rear suspension mounts increase rear suspension rigidity.
· Five-door hatchback features reinforcements coupling the rear sidemembers and the rear gate opening to improve torsional rigidity of the rear body structure.
Noise, vibration, harshness (nvh)
Low levels of NVH are a tangible sign of quality and craftsmanship. For this reason, Mazda worked to optimise cabin NVH levels by critically evaluating
approximately fifteen distinct 'acoustic transfer paths.' Everything was considered, from engine and suspension vibrations to induction and exhaust noise.
With the Mazda3, this critical analysis was vastly aided by the most-advanced version of the company's own Virtual NVH Testing system – an advanced computer-aided engineering (CAE) system that incorporates software from LMS International, a leader in the field based in Leuven, Belgium. The accuracy of Mazda's Virtual NVH Testing system – as determined by the difference between the estimated (virtual) and measured (physical) results – has improved more than 60 percent from the previous-generation development system of just a few years ago. In fact, Virtual NVH Testing is now used by Mazda to directly predict customer satisfaction levels.
· Rigid air cleaner and plastic manifold wîth long, equal-length runners reduce intake noise.
· Silent cam chain, high-efficiency alternator, optimised cam profiles; lightweight valve train and shimless tappets work together to decrease engine noise in the cabin.
· Highly-rigid aluminium-alloy cylinder block and lower block, deep-skirt construction, lighter pistons and connecting rods, enhanced crankshaft rigidity and optimised crankshaft balance help reduce engine noise.
· Large front suspension cross-members wîth minimal vertical offset are coupled to the body by the four-point rubber mounting system to dramatically reduce transmission of vibrations caused by road surface irregularities.
· Front suspension towers are linked to a cowl panel to prevent them leaning inward and help minimise transmission of vibrations from the suspension system.
· Flat floor has minimal beading and incorporates vibration-damping material in locations susceptible to pronounced road noise transmission. (posted on conceptcarz.com)
· Full duplex door seals prevent penetration of noise into the cabin from around the doors.
· Front hinge pillars, centre pillars, and rear wheel arches are filled wîth polyurethane to isolate the cabin from engine and road noise.
· Optimally placed soundproofing measures, including a sealing treatment for the scuff plates on the side-sills.
· Four-wheel ABS wîth Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and builtin mechanical brake assistance provide superior vehicle stability and braking performance on slippery roads and in emergency situations, whether the car is fully loaded or nearly empty.
· On the 1.6-litre Active / Dynamic and 2.0-litre individual models an Auto Light System uses both forward- and upward-facing sensors to monitor ambient light. The system automatically switches on the lights when entering a tunnel, but will not switch on the lights when Mazda3 momentarily enters shady areas.
· On the 1.6-litre Active / Dynamic and 2.0-litre individual models, a Rain Sensor Wiper feature offers complete control of wiper on/off and wiper speed, promoting visibility and giving a better view of the road in bad weather.
· Also available on the 1.6-litre Active / Dynamic and 2.0-litre individual models, is a water repelling feature on the exterior mirrors and front door glass, adding to active safety.
· Impact-absorbing structure channels energy from a frontal impact into the front side-members.
· Three-fork structure directs energy from the front side-members diagonally outwards into the hinge pillar, laterally through the dash crossmember and downward into the side-sills to minimise cabin deformation around the feet of front-seat occupants.
· Tailor-welded blanks are integrated wîth the high-tensile steel side-panels to further minimise cabin deformation.
· A rigid crossbeam links the side-members to strengthen the cabin by preventing the hinge pillars moving outwards in a frontal collision.
· In a high-speed frontal collision, the engine, transmission and suspension side-members break away and move rearward to maximize impactabsorption of the crushable zone before it reaches the cabin.
· Large-section centre pillars, cross-members and side-sills disperse impact energy throughout the entire body structure to minimise cabin deformation.
· The roof features three cross-members to further reinforce the body structure.
· Side-impact beams increase overlap wîth the body frame and disperse energy into the floor structure to minimise door intrusion.
· Effective energy absorption minimises cabin deformation so doors can still be opened after a crash allowing escape or rescue of occupants.
· Tough, high-tensile steel sheet in the rear frame maximizes energyabsorption.
· The fuel tank is positioned in front of the rear axle to minimise the possibility of damage in a collision.
· Mazda3 Sport models feature reinforcements to the rear side-member suspension mounts and around the hatch opening to improve the torsional rigidity and structural integrity of the rear end.
driver, passenger and pedestrian protection systems
· Dual-stage front airbags are fitted to all models and deploy according to impact severity to maximize passenger protection and minimise the risk of airbag-inflicted injuries.
· Front and rear curtain airbags and driver and passenger side airbags are fitted as standard to the 1.6-litre Dynamic and 2.0-litre Individual models, providing excellent protection from all directions.
· Front seatbelts feature pretensioners for instant hold and load-limiters, which loosen the seatbelt in a controlled manner to help reduce excessive pressure on the chest.
· All models feature a SMART airbag system (Advanced Restraint System) wîth sensors to monitor driver's seat position and the physical attributes of the front passenger to control airbag deployment according to both collision severity and seat position/occupant physique.
· Horizontal collapsing §teering column minimises impact on the driver's head and chest.
· Brake pedal retracts away from the driver's foot in a frontal collision to lower the risk of pedal-inflicted foot and leg injuries.
· Height- and shape-optimised headrests help minimise whiplash in a rear impact, while seatbacks are designed to permit rearward movement of the occupant's torso.
· Pillars and roof side-trim incorporate energy-absorbing ribs to minimise the risk of secondary-impact head injuries.
· ISOFIX child seat anchors and top tether anchors are fitted to both rear seats for quick, easy, secure installation of a child's seat and to help prevent the child seat tipping forward in a collision.
· Reinforced rear seatback frame, non-detachable seat hinges and reinforced latches help prevent luggage from entering the cabin in a frontal collision.
· A large space between the engine and the bonnet, plus uniform stiffness over the bonnet's surface, reduce pedestrian head injuries in a carpedestrian accident.
· Front bumper includes an impact-absorbing space between its face and beam and a ribbed stiffener in the skirt to help prevent a pedestrian's legs being trapped under the vehicle.
quality & craftsmanship
overview: craftsmanship equals quality
The Mazda3 range is another example of Mazda's fresh approach to designing and building cars that combine excellent manufacturing quality wîth an innovative, global perspective to create cars that epitomize the company's Zoom-Zoom philosophy. High standards of craftsmanship, refined during the development of Mazda6 and Mazda RX-8, were applied to Mazda3 to deliver a vehicle wîth levels of quality that rival most of the world's top C-§egmènt models. As a result, Mazda3 enters the market as one of the most enjoyable cars in its §egmènt, wîth high levels of customer delight achieved through functional beauty and solid build quality.
On the outside, Mazda3's build quality is instantly apparent by its excellent fit and finish, characterized by consistently small gaps between abutting body
panels and components that give a high-quality finish. On the inside, look, touch and operating feel were designed to delight and satisfy, wîth high levels of craftsmanship, in the same way that all newgeneration Mazda cars do. Mazda3's distinctive functional elegance combines operability and visibility which customers will appreciate. This is achieved through aesthetic design, attention to ergonomics and kansei engineering – a Japanese concept that identifies customer perceptions and emotional responses, and translates them into real product characteristics to attain new heights of customer satisfaction.
superb fit and finish Superior build quality characterizes the new Mazda3 range. Fit and finish are of the same high standards pioneered by the Mazda6 and continued wîth Mazda RX-8. Intense efforts to ensure solid, instantly recognizable craftsmanship wîth the Mazda3 exterior were undertaken to deliver outstanding Japanese build quality.
Combined wîth Mazda3's dynamic exterior design, it enhances the sense of satisfaction and pride of ownership every time the car is taken to the road.
· Small, consistent gaps between body panels realized through identification. and adjustment of more than 300 abutting items, including headlights and front fenders, bonnet and front fenders, and trunk lid and rear fenders.
· Non-visible exterior sections receive the same care and attention to detail. Virtual simulation resulted in a simplification of door-opening surfaces prior to prototype build to achieve a cleaner, neater door appearance.
tangible craftsmanship: interior
Nowhere are Mazda efforts to achieve customer delight more obvious than in the Mazda3 interior, wîth its fresh, pure ambience and high levels of craftsmanship that can be seen in the design and felt in the materials. Functional beauty is achieved by a combination of form, colour and high usability. These key elements in Mazda's ‘Stylish, Insightful and Spirited' brand DNA are abundantly obvious inside the new Mazda3.
· The top of the instrument panel and door trim feature a unified covering material wîth reduced sheen and improved continuity of grain for a strong sense of design unity.
· The seam on the airbag cover is eliminated, minimizing the parting line for a neater appearance.
· A driving simulator was used for evaluation tests of instrument panel layouts to achieve optimal placement of controls and switches.
· Audio/climate control displays are located at the top of the centre panel for enhanced visibility and minimal driving distraction.
· Switches are located lower and closer to the driver's hands for easier operation.
· Knobs and push buttons were evaluated on the basis of touch and stroke, and designed to assure a positive, satisfying operating feel. In addition, touch and stroke for all switches are unified for a consistent operating feel.
· On the 2.0-litre Individual models, an innovative blackout lighting system provides indirect blue lighting for the instrument panel when a door is opened, gradually adding amber-red backlighting after the ignition is turned on, which gives a pleasant note to the interior instrumentation and reduces eye fatigue.
· Glove box lid and roof grab-handles are equipped wîth dampers for smooth, silent operation.
· Extensive measurements of muscle load, finger pressure and other parameters were carried out to determine the optimal position and shape for door handles to give a smooth, easy feel to door opening and closing. audio, seats, materials: customer delight Mazda3 developers created a comfortable and a pleasingly stimulating interior environment wîth the goal of making it one of the most enjoyable cars in its §egmènt. From its excellent modular entertainment system, to seats wîth firm yet comfortable support, every aspect of Mazda3's interior incorporates the lessons learned in the development of Mazda6 and Mazda RX-8, and takes them a step further to deliver even higher levels of customer delight.
high quality audio
· 1.6-litre Original fitted wîth Radio only.
· 1.6-litre Active fitted wîth Radio / CD frontloader
· 1.6-litre Dynamic and 2.0-litre Individual models fitted wîth Radio / In-dash 6CD changer.
· Modular construction offers easy system expansion wîth future media.
· Easy-to-use piano style buttons and knobs can be operated without lòòking away from the road.
· A 'light bar' of LEDs mounted either side of the volume control knob ,which can be disabled responds to operations giving a visual impression that the car is interacting wîth the operator.
· Steering wheel mounted audio switches, featured in the 1.6-litre Dynamic and 2.0-litre Individual models, provide easy, safe operation while driving.
· All Mazda3 models are fitted wîth four speakers which deliver a superior sound quality throughout the vehicle. The 1.6-litre Dynamic and 2.0-litre Individual models audio systems also include two tweeters.
· Body pressure distribution of Mazda3's seat is superior to competing models, assuring greater posture support and comfort.
· Cushions and seatbacks have shapes and pressure distribution patterns similar to those of the larger Mazda6.
· Front seats feature suspension springs in the back-frame to conform to the occupant's body for increased support and comfort.
· Springs supporting the pelvis are especially firm, while springs in the sideframe have a higher spring-rate to assure support and orthopedicallycorrect posture.
· Lower cushion is mounted on a moulding that is shape-optimised to fit the lower body.
· Shoulder support is designed to be comfortably snug during normal driving conditions and to give confidence-inspiring hold during spirited driving.
· Rear seats are designed according to a similar concept to give rear passengers excellent posture stability and a snug fit.
· Úpholstery colours and fabrics are stylishly coordinated for a pleasingly modern impression.
· Four interior trim packages – each wîth distinct character – are offered, allowing customers to select the style that matches their taste.
· Door trim armrest, centre console armrest and other often-used areas are made wîth soft-touch materials.
The Mazda3 Original and Active models have a grey environment wîth grey and blue or grey and grey alternative combinations. The Mazda3 Dynamic and Individual models have a black environment wîth black and blue or black and red possible combinations.
· Instrument panel upper and lower sections are covered wîth an advanced grain-finish material wîth a tactile sensation that evokes the vehicle's technical quality.
· The top of the instrument panel and door trim feature a unified covering material wîth reduced sheen and improved continuity of grain.
· The seam on the airbag cover is eliminated to minimise the parting line and give a neater appearance.
· Metallic-look finish on door handles, shift lever gate and lever surrounds gives a satisfyingly mechanical look and feel.
environment: innovation and care
Care for the environment is central to Mazda's corporate policy and one of the guiding principles in the development, manufacture, operating life and recyclability of all new-generation Mazda vehicles. With ISO14001 and TS16949 certification for its manufacturing facilities, Mazda South Africa has committed itself to producing products wîth as little impact on the environment as possible, while still meeting customer demands. The innovative, advanced
technology used in the production of the Mazda3, and in the vehicle itself, are just the latest example of these efforts. vehicle
· Úse of aluminium for cylinder blocks achieves a 10 percent reduction in engine weight.
· Structural foam injected into body frames reduces weight wîth no sacrifice in strength.
· Both MZR petrol engines are lightweight aluminium-alloy, low-friction and efficient engines developed to balance linear strong performance wîth fuel consumption and low emissions.
· Reversed intake-exhaust layout, wîth intake at the front of the engine and exhaust at the rear, shortens the distance to the catalytic converter, allowing for a direct attachment to the stainless steel exhaust manifold. This in turn promotes fast catalytic heat-up for superior emissions performance.
· When the engine is running under low-to-medium loads, S-VT advances intake valve timing to extend overlap and boost exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) to minimise pumping loss, improve fuel economy and reduce CO2 emission.
· Tumble Swirl Control Valve (TSCV) in the intake manifold ensures more stable combustion during cold/low-load conditions, allowing for a relatively large valve overlap. This delivers increased internal exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), for high output wîth minimal emissions.
· An EGR system that introduces exhaust gas to the induction cycle to suppress NOx emission.
· High compression ratios, electronic throttle control, and Electro-hydraulic power-assisted §teering system all contribute to lower fuel consumption.Source - Ford Motor Company
|ALL-NEW 2014 FIAT 500L EXPANDS FIAT BRAND'S PRODUCT LINEUP AND COMMITMENT TO INNOVATIVE AND VALUE-LOADED ITALIAN CARS|
|◾Loaded with value: all-new 2014 Fiat 500L arrives to FIAT studios this June with a starting price of $19,100 and four well-equipped models ◾Leveraging: taking the FIAT brand's DNA, the all-new Fiat 500L expands the appeal of the iconic 500 while adding two more doors plus best-in-class interior volume (120.1 cu. ft.) providing comfortable accommodations for five passengers ◾Large: a Fiat 500 designed on the new 'small-wide' vehicle architecture for 27 inches more length, plus six inches more ...[Read more...]|
|Land Rover Celebrates 65 Years Of Technology And Innovation|
|SIXTY-FIVE YEARS OF LAND ROVER From our earliest days, the desire to create a vehicle that will tackle any terrain has made Land Rover famous around the world. Over the past 65 years, the Land Rover family has grown into the highly respected range of vehicles that are sold in record numbers today. As Land Rover continues to go from strength to strength, we thought it was time to look back at the milestones in our history that have got us here. The last 65 years have been an adventure. ...[Read more...]|
|2013 RAM 1500 LARAMIE LONGHORN NAMED TO WARD'S 10 BEST INTERIORS LIST FOR 2013|
|• For 2013, the Ram 1500's award-winning interior includes material upgrades, all-new interior themes with invigorating colors that speak to the lifestyle of the Ram Truck brand|
• All-new HVAC controls and new multimedia systems enhance the driver experience
• The 2013 Ram 1500 also features an exclusive eight-speed transmission activated with a breakthrough e-shift rotary dial
April 15, 2013 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn has been named one ...[Read more...]
|Ford Begins Taking Orders for C-MAX Hybrid – America's Most Affordable, Fuel-Efficient Hybrid Utility Vehicle|
|Ford dealers are starting to place orders for America's most affordable and fuel-efficient hybrid utility vehicle – the 2013 Ford C-MAX Hybrid – with innovative technologies such as a hands-free liftgate, spaciousness for five passengers and cargo as well as the fun-to-drive character shared with well-handling cars including Ford Focus. The C-MAX is a compact hybrid utility vehicle and the company's first dedicated line of hybrids. The 2013 C-MAX Hybrid will be available this fall with a base...[Read more...]|
|JAGUAR EXPANDS POWERTRAIN CHOICE WITH TWO ADDITIONAL FORCED-INDUCTION PETROL ENGINES|
|As Jaguar expands its product offer in key global markets it is introducing two additional petrol units to its range to enhance customer choice; the new 3.0-litre V6 Supercharged Petrol, and the 2.0-litre I4 Turbocharged Petrol. Adrian Hallmark, Global Brand Director, Jaguar Cars, said: 'Jaguar currently has its strongest range of products for several decades. Our continued growth is dependent on two things; activating the awareness of the brand, and expanding our range to enable us to access...[Read more...]|
|2005 Mazda models|
|Mazda Mazdaspeed 6|
|Mazda MX-5 Miata|
|Mazda Tribute||2005 Mazda Concepts|
|Mazda Sassou B-Car Concept|
|Similarly Sized Vehicles from 2005|
|Acura TSX A-Spec|
|Audi A4 DTM Edition|
|BMW E90 330i|
|Other models by Mazda|
|Related Articles and Event Coverage|
|2005 Pittsburgh, PA|
|2005 Washington DC|