1939 Bugatti Type 57 news, pictures, specifications, and information
Introduced in 1934, and produced until 1940, the Type 57 is the ultimate Bugatti road car. They were fitted with some of the most dazzling coachwork ever produced, and this car, #57710, is a fabulous example. This chassis of the car, fitted with engine #46C was ordered in April of 1938 and was delivered in August of 1938. The completed chassis was delivered to the coachbuilder Gangloff, where it was fitted with its stunning Aravis fixed coupe bodywork.
This is truly one of the world's finest automobiles, from the aggressive front fenders, to the long, tapered rear treatment, it has a flair for the dramatic. Skirted rear fenders add to the feeling of grace in motion. Even the steering wheel is a work of art. The spare wheel is kept inside the trunk, which opens from the top like a rumble seat. The car is powered by a DOHC supercharged eight-cylinder engine, which is essentially a detuned version of the motor used by the awesome Type 59 Grand Prix cars. Beautifully finished in black with green accents, and fitted with exquisite dark tan leather, the supercharged Bugatti is an important addition to any collection.
The Bugatti Type 57 was effectively the marque's last production model, and perhaps the best. With a supercharger for the eight-cylinder engine, this model became the Type 57C. The Type 57 has a 130-inch wheelbase, and the 200 cubic-inch engine was [Read More...]
The transmission was seamless, since at that point the Type 57 was Bugatti's only production car, and one of its most successful. The standard 57 engine was a 3257cc inline eight, developed from the Type 49 but equipped with gear-driven dual overhead [Read More...]
Ettore Bugatti had a vision of creating a grand touring automobile by marrying the excitement of Bugatti's racing heritage to the refinement of a road car. The result was the Type 57 designed by Jean Bugatti, son of founder Ettore. Type 57s were buil [Read More...]
Chassis Num: 57752
Engine Num: 57476 19C
This beautifully restored Type 57C is a 3rd series car and is number 19 of 27 cars built between October 1938 – July 1939. Of the 27 cars built during that period, only 11 cars were supercharged. Bugatti offered clients the choice of four factory-des [Read More...]
Ettore Bugatti was born in northern Italy but started building automobiles in Molsheim in the Alsace region of France. Ettore Bugatti's son Jean was in charge of the design team responsible for the Bugatti '57C's'. [Read More...]
Sold for $913,000 at 2011 RM Auctions
The Type 57 is the most celebrated non-racing Bugatti. Only 680 were made from the years 1934 through 1939. This was the last Letourneur et Marchand bodied car, delivered in April 1939 in Paris. There were only 13 Letourneur et Marchand bodied type 5 [Read More...]
Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, the Prince of Persia and future Shah of Iran, received this supercharged Bugatti (the black Bugatti Type 57C) as a gift from the French government on the occasion of his first wedding. The dramatic body was constructed by Vanvooren of Paris in the style of Figoni & Falaschi. In 1959 the Bugatti was sold out of the Shah's Imperial Garage for a sum equivalent to approximately 275 ÚS dollars. It was subsequently owned by a succession of Bugatti enthusiasts, but never publicly shown until after receiving a complete restoration in 1983.
Collection of Margie and Robert E. PetersenSource - Petterson Museum
High bid of $375,000 at 2008 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
High bid of $380,000 at 2009 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
Sold for $503,611 (£308,000) at 2009 RM Auctions
The Bugatti Type 57 was produced from 1934 through 1939 and was designed to compete with other luxurious road-going models such as the Delahaye and Delage. The development was heavily influenced by the son of Ettore Bugatti, Jean Bugatti. Mounted u [Read More...]By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2009
Chassis Num: 57624
Engine Num: 448
Sold for $880,000 at 2008 Gooding & Company
From 1937 through 1940, there were only 95 examples of the Type 57C produced. The original names for Jean Bugatti's cars were originally sourced from the Alpine passes (Stelvio, Galibier, Ventoux); it is unclear why he ventured away from this naming [Read More...]By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2009
Chassis Num: 57806C
Engine Num: 87C
Sold for $396,000 at 2008 Gooding & Company
This 1939 Bugatti Type 57C Galibier Sport Saloon is fitted with the supercharged DOHC straight-eight engine. It is a late Galibier that was ordered directly from the Bugatti factory by author L. Cabot Briggs. It was delivered to him in the United S [Read More...]By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2009
The Type 57 was designed under the supervision of Ettore Bugatti's young son, Jean. For the first time in a Bugatti, the transmission was mounted integrally with the engine, separated by a single-plate clutch. In 1936, the company introduced the su [Read More...]
Chassis Num: 57786
Engine Num: 19C.V.
The Stelvio coachwork on this Bugatti is by Gangloff in Colmar. Few Stelvios were made, and no two were identical. A total of 96 57Cs were built. It is a documented supercharged Type 57. [Read More...]
This Bugatti Type 57C with Atalante style coachwork by the French coachbuilder Van Vooren was ordered by M. Fernand Chaussivert in April 1939 and delivered two months later. It spent all its life in France before coming to the United States in 2009 a [Read More...]
This Type 57 Saoutchik cabriolet was a very worthy winner of the Best of Show Trophy at Pebble Beach in 1985 - the same memorable year that all the Bugatti Royales were seen together for the first time. It was owned at that time by Jack Becronis. Bet [Read More...]
Named after the Passo dello Stelvio pass in the Eastern Alps, the Type 57 Stelvio four-seat cabriolet penned by Jean Bugatti was the factory's most popular open car. Most Stelvio bodies were manufactured by Gangloff of Colmar, who modified the design [Read More...]
This Type 57C was originally owned by the Shah of Iran, Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi. An avid car enthusiast and collector, he received this striking supercharged Bugatti as a wedding gift from the French government when he married his second wife, Pri [Read More...]
Many manufacturers during this time produced multi-purpose vehicles that could be driven to a race track, raced, and then driven home. The Bugatti Type 57, however, was solely a road-going vehicle and is considered the most celebrated of all non-racing Bugattis. Even though the Type 57 was strictly a road-going vehicle, a racing version was created for the 1937 24-Hours of Le Mans race. This vehicle, based on the Type 57S chassis and named the 57G, won the race. A supercharged version was created for the 1939 Le Mans race and also was victorious. This is the legacy of the Bugatti heritage and the quality and innovative designs that were truly masterpieces in all respects.
In 1934, the Type 57C entered the scene, a project headed by Jean Bugatti, the son of Ettore Bugatti. The vehicle centered around refinement while focusing on the values that had made Bugatti successful.
Three 'factory' bodies were available and consisted of the Ventoux, a two-window and four window version, the Stelvio, and the Atalante. All of the Atalante bodies were produced and all were done in-house. The Atalante was named after peaks in the Alps and is one of the most exclusive bodystyles ever produced by Bugatti.
The Type 57 could also be ordered with Galibier four-door bodies. Ealier versions of the Galibier bodies had suicide-opening front doors with no pillar. Later versions had suicide-opening front doors and rear doors hung in the traditional fashion. The front and rear doors would share a common pillar.
Jean designed an indepenent front suspension to aide in the handling of the vehicle. This was not popular with Ettore Bugatti and had the traditional Bugatti front axle installed.
A 3.3 liter, twin-cam, straight-eight engine was used to power this vehicle. Even with the heavy saloon bodies, the engine could propel the vehicle to a speed of around 95 mph. A Roots-type supercharger was later added and the vehicle was given the designation 57C. The supercharger was quiet and provided between three to four pounds of boost pressure. The addition of the supercharger increased the horsepower rating to 175.
The Type 57S version was a 'sportier' version of the Type 57. The chassis was shorter, with the rear axle running through the frame. A slightly tuned engine with higher compression and a dry sump lubrication helped increase the performance of the car. The front and rear axles received de Ram shock aborbers, replacing the Hartford Friction dampers.
The Type 57SC was a combination of the 57C and 57S. The engine produced between 200 and 220 horsepower.
On August 11, 1939 while testing a Type 57C tank-bodied racer near Molsheim, Jean Bugatti was killed. This was the same day as the start of the 2nd World War, which inevitably meant that the race Jean was preparing the vehicle for would never be run.
By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2006
Ettore Arco Isidoro Bugatti was born in Milan, Italy in 1881. His father, Carlo, was a furniture designer of some fame. The father's brother, Rembrandt, was a gifted sculptor of animals. When he was old enough, Ettore attended the Brera Academy of Art where he studied sculpture. Soon, he turned his attention to mechanical endeavors.
The first Bugatti motor car was built in 1899 though the first vehicle to bear his name was the Type 13 of 1910. Power came from a four-cylinder, eight-valve engine. The 1913 the radiators became more rounded and in the shape of a horse shoe.
The company's first eight-cylinder engine production car was introduced in 1922 and dubbed the Type 30. The engine had a single overhead camshaft and displaced two liters. The car had a drum brakes, solid axles and leaf springs on all four corners.
The Type 35 in all sequences, the A, B, C, and T, were some of Bugatti's early examples that made the marque famous. The Type 57 introduced in 1934 and continued in production until 1940. They were powered by a 3257cc straight-eight engine with double overhead camshafts that produced between 130 and 140 horsepower. There were four road-going versions of the 57 and these were the Type 57, Type 57C, Type 57S, and Type 57SC. The Type 57C was a supercharged version while the Type 57S was a sporty version based on a short and lower wheelbase. The Type 57SC was a combination of the 57S and 57C. A variety of body-styles were offered throughout the years.
The engine rested in a ladder-type frame and matted to a four-speed manual gearbox. The front had a tubular axle with the suspension comprised of longitudinally mounted semi-elliptic leaf springs. The rear axle was suspended in place by a pair of quarter-elliptic leaf springs. The early versions of the vehicle had cable-operated drums on all four wheels. Later versions were upgraded with Lockheed hydraulic brakes with twin master cylinder, which first appeared in 1938.
The Type 57 and its variants were intended for road going use. However, many made their way onto the racing circuit. Lord Howe drove a Type 57 to a third place finish in the 1935 Tourist Trophy. A Type 57G won the Monthlhery and Reims race in 1936. In 1937, Jean-Pierre Wimille and Robert Benoist drove a Bugatti to victory at LeMans.
Many of the cars were clothed by prominent coachbuilders such as Figoni, Van Vooren, Corsica, and James Young. Most of the chassis were bodied by the factory with coachwork in the style of Jean Buggatti. The catalog bodies included two versions of the Ventoux Coupe, the Galibier four-door sedan, the Stelvio cabriolet, Atalante, and Atlantic. The Atlantic and Atalante were constructed in two-door coupe configuration. Gangloff, a Swiss coachbuilder, was tasked with clothing most of the factory bodies.
By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007
Recent Vehicle Additions
|2014 Concours of America a Success|
|• 36th annual Concours d'Elegance of America at St. John's a Resounding Success!|
• 1932 Duesenberg Model J Convertible Victoria by Murphy and 1939 Bugatti T57C Cabriolet by Voll & Ruhrbeck win Best of Show at 2014 Concours d'Elegance of America at St. John's.
More Than 250 Cars on View for Picture Perfect Day and 4th Successful Year at New Location
Plymouth, MI, July 27, 2014: Blessed by near perfect weather, on Sunday, July 27th, the 36th Annual Concours d'El...[Read more...]
|BENTLEY AT THE PALACE OF HOLYROODHOUSE CONCOURS OF ELEGANCE|
|◾Historical Bentleys star at prestigious Edinburgh event
◾1952 R-Type Continental, 'Blue Train' and 8 Litre among line up
◾'Bentley Sunday' highlights best of British brand's historic range
(Crewe, 31 August) Scotland's historical seat of power, the Palace of Holyroodhouse, is playing host to the 2015 Concours of Elegance from 4 to 6 September, with an impressive array of Bentley models taking centre stage.
The prestigious, invitation-only event – which showcases 60 of the world's...[Read more...]|
|2015 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Best of Show|
|PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 17, 2015) -- An Italian Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8A Cabriolet that once turned heads and garnered top prizes in the classic era glided to victory at the 65th Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance on Sunday.
The competition drew 219 cars from 16 countries and 29 U.S. states to the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links. It also raised over $1.8 million to help people in need. Through the Pebble Beach Company Foundation, which celebrates its 40th anniversary this ...[Read more...]|
|Concours d'Elegance of America at St. John's : Best of Show|
The Concours d'Elegance of America, established in 1978, featured over 300 significant automobiles on the beautiful green at the Inn at St. John's in Plymouth, Michigan. This year's featured classes included Vintage Bentley, Auto Show '55, Bonneville Streamliners, and Dream Cars of the 1980s.
Best of Show winners at the 37th annual Concours d'Elegance of America was awarded to a 1929 Duesenberg Model J owned by Charles Letts, Jr. of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, and a 1937 Bugatti 57...[Read more...]|
|Postwar Ferrari Named Best of Show at 2014 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance|
| ||1954 Ferrari 375 MM Scaglietti Coupe Named 'Best of Show'
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 17, 2014) -- Excited cheers echoed across the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links Sunday when a 1954 Ferrari 375 MM Scaglietti Coupe was named Best of Show at the 64th annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. The car, owned by Jon Shirley of Medina, Washington, was the first postwar car to take the top award at the prestigious event in nearly five decades. It was also the first Ferrari to win.
|MERCEDES-BENZ 2014 G63 AMG: THE ULTIMATE G-CLASS|
| ||The latest technology for the AMG off-road icon: the new 2014 G63 AMG impresses with a state-of-the-art powertrain, expressive new design and improved efficiency. All this is largely attributable to the AMG 5.5-liter V8 biturbo engine delivering 536 hp and the AMG SPEEDSHIFT PLUS 7-speed automatic transmission.
Every new AMG high-performance vehicle offers an outstanding mix of 'more power from less fuel' – and the G63 AMG is no exception. The 'strong man' in the AMG model range has been furt...[Read more...]|