Sold for $3,080,000 at 2013 RM Auctions. The 166 MM would be considered the car that started it all, the legend that would become Ferrari. Enzo Ferrari had raced under the Scuderia Ferrari team name while he still worked with Alfa Romeo. However, following the end of the Second World War, Ferrari was yet to really make a name for himself. That would all change with the introduction of the 166.
The 125S would be the very first to wear the Ferrari badge and would be considered a rather successful failure by Enzo. In the end, the 125S would go on to win a number of races and would help Ferrari to advance his cause.
The 125S would be a solid foundation upon which to build. However, the body styling would lack that touch of elegance. While the engine from the 125 would be taken an increased in size, Touring of Milan, Italy would be commissioned to provide a new body design for the newly delineated 166.
The first example of the 166 MM would make its debut in 1948 at the Torino Motor Show. This would be a handful of months after a 166 earned victory in the Mille Miglia at the hands of Clemente Biondetti and Ettore Salani and would be the reason the Touring barchetta would receive the 'MM' suffix.
The new 166 MM would be produced in limited numbers. Just a total of 25 would be built. Chassis 0038M would be the 15th of the 25 and would be even more rare than that as it would also end up being one of just three with the single door and extra fuel tank fitted in the sealed passenger side of the car.
But while the car would already be an exclusive member of the 166 MM community, being a factory racing barchetta meant it would be all the more honored as it would have some truly legendary drivers as its occupants.
Upgraded with a 195 S engine and a longer bonnet in 1950, it would end up being driven by no less than future double World Champion Alberto Ascari in the Grand Prix of Luxembourg. Not surprisingly, Ascari and 0038M would go on to earn victory in the race.
One month later, at the Mille Miglia, 0038M would be driven by Dorino Serafini and Ettore Salani and would manage to complete the formidable event in 2nd place behind Giannino Marzotto and Marco Crosara driving a Ferrari 195 S. Following the 2nd place in the Mille Miglia, the pair of Serafini and Salani would guide 0038M to a victory in the Coppa della Toscana in June.
Heading into the 24 Hours of Le Mans, 0038M would have an impressive driver lineup in Luigi Chinetti and Pierre Louis-Dreyfus. Unfortunately, the partnership would prove to be unsuccessful as 0038M would fail to make it to the finish of the race. However, one month later, at the hands of Franco Cornacchia the 166 MM would go on to yet another 2nd place result in the Coppa d'Ore delle Dolomiti. The partnership of Serafini, Salani and 0038M would prove successful again when victory was achieved in the Giro delle Calabrie in August of 1950.
More victories would come 0038M's way. Following some upgrades and improvements, which included a repositioned air intake, the car would be driven to victory by Alberto Ascari in the Daily Express Trophy held at Silverstone. The following month would see the car earn more than a couple of victories, a couple of which would be hill climbing events.
The 166 MM wouldn't just be driven by racing greats however. The famed motor racing photographer Louis Klemantaski would have the opportunity not only to drive the barchetta, but to chauffeur the great Ascari at the same time when on a trip to Silverstone for the Daily Express International. It would be a truly memorable moment for Klemantaski, but it would also prove Ascari to be much more comfortable behind the wheel than not.
In 1951, the bonnet on 0038M would be altered again. Shortened once more, an extra cooling grille would also be added in preparation for the Mille Miglia on the 28th of April that year. Driven by Serafini and Salani, there were great hopes heading into the event. Unfortunately, the potential would be lost when it was driven off the circuit and damaged too severely to go on.
Chassis 0038M would be rebuilt. However, instead of restoring it to its 166 MM barchetta appearance, 0038M would be basically turned into a 212 Coupe and would even have new 212 motor. It would then be delivered to another rather legendary personality within Ferrari lore. The recipient of the car would be none other than Jose Froilan Gonzalez, the Argentinean that had earned Scuderia Ferrari its first Formula One World Championship victory at the 1951 British Grand Prix. It is rumored the car was a payment of a debt Ferrari owed Gonzalez.
At any rate, Gonzalez would own the car for just a short period of time before selling it to Raul Guillermo Decker of Buenos Aires. From then on, the 212-looking 166 MM would become a regular fixture at motor races around Argentina and would continue to enjoy some sporadic success.
The car would continue racing right up through the very early 1960s. The car would also change hands a number of times, but always to Argentinean owners. However, in 1980, the car would be sold again, this time to an American.
The 166 MM would be in the United States for just a couple of years before it would return to Italy as the property of Ugo Isgro, a restorer and dealer from Silea. Isgro would commission Carrozzeria Nova Rinascente to restore the Ferrari. Upon completion, the refurbished 166 MM would not retire to a quiet life. Instead, the car would be campaigned in a number of events including the Mille Miglia in 1985 and 1986. Offered for sale in 1987, Michael Sheehan of Costa Mesa would become the car's proud owner. The pride would be short-lived; however, as Yogi Oyama would come to own the car later that same year.
Oyama would take and have 0038M fully restored to its original 166 MM barchetta look. This meant getting rid of the Vignale 212 bodywork and replacing it with correct Touring styling. When completed, the Vignale bodywork would be retained and would actually remain as a part of the car. However, 0038M would be restored to its original barchetta configuration and would become something of a regular in the Mille Miglia as it would take part in the event in 1996, 1997 and again in 1999.
Sold again in 2003 to another Japanese collector, 0038M would again return to take part in the Mille Miglia and would have the acclaim of being the highest-finishing Ferrari in the 2010 Mille Miglia.
Not only is 0038M one of the most important of early Ferrari sportscars given that it is a 166 MM, the fact that it would be just one of three factory racing barchettas and that it had been driven by some of the legends of Ferrari and of motor racing means this particular chassis belongs in a league occupied by very few competitors.
Offered at the 2013 RM Auctions Monterey event, the 1950 Ferrari 166MM would garner a sale price of $3,080,000.By Jeremy McMullen
High bid of $1,100,000 at 2009 RM Auctions. (did not sell) The 166 MM Touring Barchetta, a Ferrari masterpiece, still increase pulse rates fifty-five years later. It is the first Ferrari sports car; all previous cars were strictly for racing. Craftsmen welded a tubular frame with a 2,200 mm wheelbase to hand-formed body panels. Beneath the hood resides a Colombo designed 1,995 cc 60-degree V-12, with a 10:1 compression ratio and triple Weber carburetors, producing 140 horsepower at 6,600 rpm's. The front suspension features independent A-arms on a single transverse leaf trailing arms. The interior has hand stitched leather upholstery and trim.
The 166 MM was arguably the world's fastest sports car. In the heyday, it recorded more than eighty overall or class victories between 1948 and 1953.
This car, chassis #0050M, was purchased by Porfirio Rusirosa to race at the 24 Hours of LeMans, in 1950. After running as high as eighth, it was forced out in the eighth hour by a clutch failure. The Barchetta was traded back to the factory in 1953. It was purchased by Bill Devin of Fontana, California. In 1975, three Californians later, the current owner purchased it. It has been refinished and the engine rebuilt, otherwise it remains the magnificent example of the gentleman's sports racer that departed the factory in 1953.
Sold for $1,760,000 at 2005 RM Auctions. Ferrari 166 MM Touring Barchetta Lusso with chassis number 0054M is a right hand drive vehicle which spent its early life being raced extensively. It was driven by Carlos Menditeguy at the Circuito de Playa Grande and Buenos Aires before being sent to the United States. The vehicles next owner entered the car in competition from late 1950 through 1952. It made appearances at Watkins Glen, Elkhart Lake, 6 hours of Sebring, 12 Hours of Sebring, and more. Spears drove the car in most of the events and was awarded with many podium finishes.
The vehicles next owner, Edmund Lunken, continued the cars racing resume. Lunken drove the car and at times, during endurance competition, enlisted the help of a backup driver. Herbert Swan became the vehicles next owner in 1958. In 1959 he had the engine replace and an Offenhauser unit placed in the engine bay. The car continued to be raced during the late 1950s. The car placed through the ownership of a few owners before coming into the care of Eleanore Haga in 1969. Haga kept the car for over twenty years. In 1991 the car was shown at the Pebble Beach Concours where it was awarded a Second in Class.
The car was sold to Ed Davies in 1994. Davies has shown the car extensively before selling to Lawrence Auriana. It has made appearances at the Cavallino Classic, Meadow Brook Concours d'Elegance, Pebble Beach, and the Ferrari Club of America National Concours under the care of Davies.
Auriana has shown the car at the New York Concours in 2005 and the Cavallino Classic in 2007. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007
The 23rd Barchetta (0058M) was completed in June 1950 with one carburetor and a hood scoop. It was sold to the rising Italian racing great Eugenio Castellotti, who raced it in the 1951 Mille Miglia where he finished 6th in class and fiftieth overall. The engine was converted to three carburetors and the car was then given a smooth hood. Castellotti raced the car eight times in Italy, Monaco and Portugal in 1951 and 1952, then loaned the car to a friend for the 1953 Mille Miglia where it failed to finish.
Ferrari 166MM Touring Barchetta lusso with chassis number 0058 was constructed in June of 1950. Eugenio Castellotti raced it extensively from 1950 through 1953 before it was sold to Charles Rezzaghi. Eugenio entered the car in the 1951 and 1953 Mille Miglia. It was raced in Grand Prix events and provided many podium finishes. It crossed the finish line in First place on three occasions under Castellotti's care.
Rezzaghi continued the cars racing career, mostly in the United States. The car was sold in 1966 and again in 1977. It was shown at the Pebble Beach Concours by its owner, Ed Gilbertson, where it was the Hans Thanner Trophy. Since that time it has been shown at the 166MM Barchetta Reunion in Monterey, Pebble Beach Concours, and the Colorado Grand. It was sold in 1998 to Lorenzo Zambrano who brought the car to the 2007 Cavallino Classic where it was awarded 'Outstanding 166.'
It is one of the few 166MM Barchetta that does not have a hood scoop. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2009
This is the last 166 MM Barchetta built (serial 0068M). It is also the first to have the rear 'moustaches' and brake lights moved to the tips of the rear fenders. It was completed in June 1950 and sent to Le Mans as a backup by the Ferrari time but was not used. Nothing further is known about its activates until April 1951 when it was sold to the Italian racing team Scuderia Guastalla and passed on to Lucian Farnaud. He raced it in France, Belgium, Monte Carlo and Germany, including endurance races at Le Mans and Nurburgring over the next two years, winning two second place finishes, a third and five first-in-class positions. In 1953 it raced at Monza and then was sold to a new owner who raced it in one Swiss hill climb.
This Ferrari (serial number 0044M) was the 17th Barchetta completed in 1950, and it has the corsa interior. Nothing is known about the activities of this Barchetta in 1950, but it is known to have raced in the Mille Miglia in 1951 and 1952 and in several races in Sicily until 1957. Early in its career a more powerful Formula 2 Ferrari 166 engine was installed, but the original engine has now been reunited with its chassis.
This Ferrari 166 MM was given to Eugenio Castellotti as a gift from a local benefactor who recognized the driving skills of the talented 20-year-old. In 1951 Castellotti competed in his first-ever race in this car and later the Mille Miglia. Afterwards, in order to find more speed, he sent the car back to the factory where it was converted to three carburetors with modified air cleaners and manifolds and the hood scoop was removed. The car continued to be raced throughout Europe before coming to the United States when it was sold by San Francisco dealer Charles Rezzaghi to Raymond Craycroft in 1953. Craycroft drove the car to second place in the novice class at the Pebble Beach Road Races in 1954.
Berlinetta Coachwork: Touring Chassis Num: 0046 M Engine Num: 0046 M
Sold for $5,445,000 at 2016 Gooding & Company. Carrozzeria Touring of Milan, during the early days, was headed by Carlo Felice Bianchi Anderloni. Their lightweight Superleggera construction was well suited to the sporting qualities of the 166 MM chassis.
This particular example was completed in April of 1950, making it the 18th of 25 Barchettas built by Carrozeria Touring. It wears body number 3447 which was purpose-built for competition use and finished in Italian racing red with the more Spartan interior, rather than the more luxurious Lusso treatment.
The Barchetta made its racing debut at the Mille Miglia, held on April 23, 1950. For this race, Scuderia Ferrari loaned 0046 M to Giuseppe 'Nuccio' Bertone and his co-driver, Luigi Casalegno, who finished in 15th overall and 3rd in class. Three months later, Bertone drove the Ferrari at the Coppa d'Oro delle Dolomiti. After the race, the car returned to the Ferrari factory, where it was given an upgraded three-carburetor arrangement and a revised rear-axle ratio. Changes were also made to the body at this time, with the hood receiving two horizontal slots and fog lights were faired in on either side of the grille.
In April 1951, Nuccio Bertone brought the updated Barchetta to the Mille Miglia. Unfortunately, Bertone and his co-driver failed to finished the race, and the Barchetta once again returned to Ferrari for the even more updates. The engine was updated prior to the 1952 racing season with type 225/16658 cylinder heads.
The car was sold in June of 1952 to Nuccio Bertone, who in turn sold it to another Torino resident named Emilio Giletti. During the 1952 season, Giletti was rewarded with incredible success, capturing many podium finishes, several class wins, and even an outright victory at Il Trofeo Sardo. Giletti often shared his Barchetta with co-driver Walter Loro-Piana. At the end of the season, Giletti became the Italian Sports Car Champion in the two-liter class and was even featured in Ferrari's annual yearbook.
Giletti sold 0046 M in January of 1953 to Luigi Bosisio, who had signed up with Scuderia Sant'Ambroeus, a new racing team founded in Milan. One of the team's founding members was Elio Zagato, who advised Bosisio that his father could transform the car into a berlinetta. Bosisio brought the car to Carrozzeria Zagato, who updated the Barchetta's nose with by eliminating the 'omega' form. A lightweight aluminum roof section was fabricated in the aerodynamically effective teardrop shape. The side windows were constructed in Zagato's 'panoramico' style, while the rear window incorporated a large external fuel filler. Even with Zagato's berlinetta conversion, much of the original coachwork was left intact, preserving the line and character of the original Touring Barchetta.
In the car's new guise, Bosisio raced 0046 M throughout 1953, with a debut in April at the Mille Miglia.
The car was sold to Bruno Martignoni of Varese in December of 1953. Martignoni raced the car just once, at the Casablanca 12 Hours in Morocco, before selling it in September of 1955 to Luigi Chinetti Motors, Ferrari's North American distributor. Mr. John Sharpe of Buffalo, New York, became the cars next owner, purchasing it in early 1956. He had it repainted in metallic blue, and campaigned it in its final races at the Watkins Glen Grand Prix in New York and the Indian Summer Trophy at Harewood Acres in Canada.
The car's next owner was Charles and Audrey Saffell of Huntsville, Alabama who acquired it in 1957 from a used-car lot in Detroit. The couple drove the 166 MM to Sebring for the 12 Hour race and repainted the car red to match their other Ferrari, a 250 MM Vignale Spider.
It was sold a few years later to Maurice Blevins, who damaged the engine and replaced it with a Chevrolet small-block V-8. In 1966, the Ferrari and its original engine were sold to Darrell Westfaul. After using it for a few years as his daily transportation, the car was retired to storage, where it remained for decades. IN 2007, Mr. Westfaul sold the Ferrari to its current owner. In his ownership, the car has continued to be preserved in its unrestored condition. Beginning around 2014, the engine was rebuilt and installed, with a correct gearbox (no. 7). The car has its original differential (no. 0018), along with many other original components. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2016
Ferrari's cycle-winged 166 Corsa was a very successful competition car, earning victories in the Targa Florio, the Mille Miglia, and the Paris 12-hour race. Powered by a two-liter Giaocchino Colombo short-block V-12 engine, it was a development of the smaller 125 S engine.
In September of 1948, at the Turin Salon, an updated model named the 166 MM was introduced. The 'MM' was in honor of the Mille Miglia victory. The Touring of Milan coachwork was devoid of cycle fenders. It was a two-seat spider body with full fenders and a graceful beltline. Just 25 examples of the 166 open style Superleggera coachwork were built, and known as barchetta (Italian for 'little boat.')
Ferrari entered two early 166 MM barchettas in the 1949 Mille Miglia, where they finished in 1st and 2nd place, with Clemente Biondetti and Ettore Salani edging out Felice Bonetto and Pierre-Louis Carpani. The 166 MM would earn multiple victories during the 1949 season, including the 24 Hours of LeMans, the 24 Hours of Spa, and events at Senigallia and Trieste.
This example, chassis 0058 M, is the 27th of 32 166 MM examples built, and the 23rd of 25 Touring barchettas. It was given Rudge wheel hubs and Houdaille shock absorbers. Its short-block based Colombo V12 engine was originally fitted with a single Weber 36 DCF/1 carburetor.
It was issues a certificate of origin on June 1st of 1955 and was delivered to Touring of Milan for mounting of the open coachwork. It received Touring body number 3452 and finished with traditional rosso corsa paint with a lusso (luxury) interior trimmed with beige leather.
Its first owner of record was Marco Dallorso of the company S.r.L. Braida e C., Costruz. Stradili, in Genoa, who took delivery on June 5th. A short time later, it was given as a gift to racing driver Eugenio Castelotti, of Milan, who registered the car as MI 166875. On April 28th of 1951, Castellotti entered the Ferrari in the Mille Miglia as race number 340. He and co-driver Giuseppe Rota finsihed 6th in class.
After the race, Castellotti returned the barchetta to the factory in Maranello, and the engine was modified with a competition manifold featuring triple Weber carburetors fed by individual ram-horn air cleaners. The gearbox was converted to an offset lever-type shifter, and adjustments were made to the fuel log and the distributor boots. Externally, the original single-scoop hood was replaced with an unvented bonnet.
With the performance upgrades, Castellotti and Sandro Matranga entered the car on June 3rd in the Coppa della Toscana, where it wore number 1248. It finished 8th overall and 3rd in class. Two weeks later, wearing number 30, it raced at the Circuito Internacional do Porto in Portugal, where Castellotti drove it to a 7th overall finish and 3rd in class. On July 15th, the barchetta DNF'ed at teh Coppa d'Oro delle Dolomiti, where Castellotti and Annibale Broglia were entered as #102. It then went on to finish 3rd in class at the Giro delle Calabrie.
The start of the 1952 season resulted in another early retirement, this time at the Prix de Monte Carlo in Monaco on June 1st. On September 28th, at the Gran Premio di Bari, while entered as #89, the 166 finished 7th overall and 2nd in class, this time with Sergio Mantovani performing the driving duties.
At the Mille Miglia on April 25th of 1953, entered as #455, Ambrogio Arosio and Italo Di Giuseppe were unable to finish the race. On June 14th, Arosio retired early after a minor accident at the VII Varese-Campo dei Fiori Hillclimb. The Ferrari's repairs were repaired, after which it was exported to the United States later in 1953, and sent to Charles Rezzaghi's Mille Miglia Motors in San Francisco. Before the close of the year, it had been sold to Dr. Raymond Craycroft of Berkeley, California.
Dr. Craycroft raced the car locally, first as #19 at the third annual Madera road races. On March 21st, Dr. Craycroft entered the barchetta as #116 in the 1st Annual Bakersfield Road Races, where he finished 4th in the Junior Race, and his wife finished 6th in the R.N. Race. The Ferrari then participated in the Pebble Beach Road Races on 10 April, placing 2nd in the novice class. On June 6th, it was entered by Craycroft in the Golden Gate Handicap, and this would be the final race under his ownership.
Larry Taylor of San Francisco acquired the car in 1966, and 11 years later sold it Ed Gilbertson, who went on to present the car at several FCA events to great acclaim. In August of 1979, Mr. Gilbertson exhibited the car at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, where it won the Hans Tanner Trophy.
Five years later the Ferrari returned to the Monterey Peninsula with presentation at the International Ferrari Concours d'Elegance in Carmel. Mr. Gilbertson drove the car in the 166 MM Barchetta Reunion from Yountville to Monterey in August 1989, then displaying it at the Monterey Historic Races. In 1993, it ran the Colorado Grand, where Gilbertson was joined by co-driver Sherry Lindberg.
In January 1994, the Ferrari was put on display at the Behring Auto Museum (now the Blackhawk Museum) in Danville, California, as part of a three-month exhibit titled, 'Ferrari: the V-12 Front Engined Road Cars.' In August, it was shown at the FCA's International Ferrari Concours at Monterey, and four days later the car was again displayed by Gilbertson at the Pebble Beach Concours.
Lorenzo Zambrano of Monterrey, Mexico acquired the car in December of 1998 and then displayed it at Pebble in August of 1999, taking 2nd in Class. At the Cavallino Classic in January 2000, the Ferrari earned a Platinum Award and the Excellence Cup. Zambrano further displayed 0058 M at the FCA National Meet in Colorado Springs in July 2000, where it won another Platinum Award, as well as the Ferrari Legend Award and the Luigi Chinetti Award. A month later the car appeared at the Vintage Ferrari Concours at Concorso Italiano, winning yet another Platinum Award and Best of Show.
It was shown in May of 2001 at the FCA Annual Meet in Dallas, Texas, and at the Cavallino Classic in January of 2007, where it won the 166 Cup and another Platinum Award. In June of 2007, Mr. Zambrano received from the factory a Ferrari Classiche Red Book that confirms the presence of all the original matching-numbers components. Less than a week later, the Barchetta finished 2nd in class at the Ferrari 60th Anniversary Concours d'Elegance held in Maranello. In August of 2009, it was again shown at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.
Manny Del Arroz of Diablo, California acquired the car in January 2010, and sold it less than a year later to the current owner. Since then, it has participated in the 'Ferraris in the Pebble Beach Road Races' event held in mid-August 2015, as well as the Pebble Beach Concours that soon followed. In August 2016, the Ferrari was displayed at the Quail Motorsports Gathering in Carmel Valley. By Daniel Vaughan | May 2017
Clemente Biondetti and Count Igor Troubetzkoy won the Targa Florio on April 3rd of 1948, marking Ferrari's first major international win. The car was a closed Berlinetta Ferrari 166 and would later capture a victory at Italy's most important race, the Mille Miglia in 1948.
The Ferrari 166 was officially introduced at the Turin Salon in September of 1948. The body was courtesy of Touring utilizing the patented 'superleggera' technique. The alloy coachwork was well proportioned, covering the narrow tube skeleton structure. The frame consisted of an oval tube cross-section ladder with an X-shaped cross member. The short wheelbase car was given a Giacchino Colombo-designed V12, which would become the basic structure that would serve Ferrari road and race car for the next two decades.
In total, there were a mere 33 examples of the 166 MM produced between 1949 and 1951. Most of the 166 models were given Carrozzeria Touring coachwork in either Barchetta or Berlinetta forms. 26 were Barchettas and 7 were Berlinetta models. Of the seven Touring-bodied Berlinettas, only five were the Le Mans Berlinettas, named for Ferrari's victory at the 1949 24 Hours of Lemans in a 166MM. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2009
It was in 1948 when the newly formed Italian automobile company named Ferrari began selling a promising sports car named the 166. The two seater sports car featured a 12-cylinder engine mounted in the front and supplying over 100 horsepower to the rear wheels. The engine was just under two-liters in size and had a unitary displacement of 166 cc, thus, the evolution of the model name. Production would last until 1953 with only 38 examples being produced. Even though production was low, its accomplishments are large, with wins at LeMans, Mille Miglia, and the Targa Florio.
The 166 was a continuation of the 125, introduced a year earlier. The 125's size of 1497 cc was later enlarged to 1902cc, bringing about the Tipo 159. In 1948, it was enlarged to 1995 cc and became the 166.
As was customary at the time, a rolling chassis was supplied to custom coachbuilders to outfit the vehicles according to customer specifications and their intended purposes. The 166 MM was named after its historic victories at the Mille Miglia. The 166 MM versions were given even chassis numbers and built with racing intentions. The 166 Inter, named after victories at the Coppa Intereuropa at Monza, were given odd chassis numbers and became Ferrari's first road car.
The 166 Inter road cars featured a 2 liter, 12-cylinder Colombo engine producing about 115 horsepower. The engines were mounted longitudinally and given one Weber 32 DCF Carburetor. A five-speed manual gearbox provided power to the rear wheels while drum brakes provided the stopping power. Top speed was achieved at just over 105 mph. Zero-to-sixty took about ten seconds. The tubular frame was given a live-rear axle and a front wishbone suspension. When production began, Carrozzeria Touring was the primary coachbuilder, outfitting the cars in both Berlinetta and Coupe bodies. Later, other coachbuilders such as Pinin Farina, Ghia, Vignale, and others, produced bodies for the 166 Inter.
The phenomenal accomplishments achieved on the race track did much to stir enthusiasm for the cars. To generate even more publicity, in November of 1948, Ferrari displayed examples of his 166 MM and 166 Inter Coupe at the Turin Motor Show. Other shows included the Paris salon in October of 1950 and the Geneva Salons in March of 1951.
With just 38 examples created, the 166 Inter was replaced in 1950 by the 195 Inter. The 195 Inter came into existence by the enlargement of the engine to 2.3 liters. A year later the engine was enlarged to 212 cc and the name changed to 212 Inter. In 1952, after 142 examples were created, production ceased.
The 166 MM was a competition version of the 166 Inter. It featured the same 12-cylinder engine, but modified to produce 135 horsepower. The suspension and chassis were similar to the 166 Inter. The bodies were lightweight, small, and built to endure the grueling requirements that racing requires. Initially, Ferrari intended the 166 MM to be a customer racing car. After a number of 166 MM models captured a large number of class and overall victories against stiff competition such as Maserati, Cistiralia, and Alfa Romeo, Ferrari commissioned the creation of the 166 MM as factory works cars.
Touring of Italy was commissioned to provide the coachwork for most of the 166 MM, and many were given Barchetta bodies. The name 'Barchetta' came about because of the size and design of the car. Barchetta in Italian means little boat.
Clemente Biondetti and Giuseppe Navone drove a 166 MM to overall victory at the Mille Miglia in 1948. A year later, Biondetti and Ettore Salani captured the victory at Mille Miglia in a 166 MM. Giannino Marzotto and Marco Crosara capture victory at Mille Miglia in 1950, driving a 166 chassis with a bigger 195 engine. In 1949 a Ferrari 166 MM, entered by Lord Selsdon and mostly driven by Luigi Chinetti, captured overall victory at Le Mans.
The 166 MM's were a powerful, reliable and competitive automobile. Their historic accomplishments are legendary and their designs are elegant, beautiful and breathtaking. VIN #002C, a 166 Spyder Corsa, is the oldest Ferrari car still in existence. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007
Following Alberto Ascaris back-to-back titles in 1952 and 1953 there have been no Italian Formula One World Champions. While there has been a great amount of hope throughout the years, Italians have...