Rolls Royce introduced the Silver Cloud model in April of 1955. It followed the production run of the Silver Dawn, and the relocation of manufacturing to Crewe. The new model was to be somewhat larger, substantially roomier, just as nimble and no less speedy. In addition, provisions were added for conveniences such as power assisted steering, automatic transmission and improved ventilation. Initially, 'sufficient' power came from a staid six-cylinder engine.
The Silver Cloud Series II, introduced in August 1959 saw the introduction of eight-cylinder power. This offset the tendency for both production and coach built bodies, which had become progressively heavier.
The final iteration, the Silver Cloud III, began production in September 1962. The example shown is an unrestored, two-owner vehicle from the final year's production. It has been refinished in the original 'sand' color, but retains the original interior and trim. Initially, Anthony Celeste purchased it as a special order overseas delivery. The current owners acquired the vehicle in 2003 with 18,000 miles showing. Its only purpose for both sets of owners is to be driven for pleasure.
This is the very last of five such hand-built aluminum bodied cars built on the long wheelbase Silver Cloud III chassis from 1963 to 1965 and, to date, the only documented left-hand drive supplied. The car was ordered new by Mr. Melvin Gelman of Washington, D.C. He requested one with the looks of the H.J. Mulliner 7410 DHC, but with four doors so he could easily get in the back seat and still be chauffeur driven. It was ordered to be painted in 'Docker's Golden Beige Iridescent' with off-white hides and a dark green convertible top. Gelman's surviving records indicate he paid in excess of $40,000, likely making it one of, if not the most expensive Silver Cloud based automobile ever built.
This spectacular automobile has been tastefully finished in Velvet Green lacquer, appropriate to the era, complimented by tan tops and hides. It has traveled over 28,000 miles since new and the full ownership history is known. The performance and handling are impressive and in keeping with the indicated mileage.
It was originally equipped with air conditioning and power windows and has retained its full complement of tools. The nine pieces of fitted luggage have been manufactured to the same style as those optionally fitted by the coachbuilder to their Flying Spurs of the era, and an original Continental Touring Spare Kit was acquired to fit inside. The correct handbooks and hang tag instruments for the air conditioner still accompany the automobile.
If you were filthy rich in the sixties you owned a Rolls Royce. Back then it was considered ‘The best car in the World'. A great number of the buyers employed a chauffeur to glide them from place to place. A few people however preferred to drive themselves. They also preferred to take the even more extravagant option of having a special coach built body fitted to their vehicle. The James Young Continental was one such option. Built specifically wîth the younger owner/driver in mind, coachbuilders James Young bodied 20 such examples known as the Silver Cloud III Continental. As the name suggests they were based on the standard steel SC III Saloon but the chassis and running gear were clothed wîth special lightweight handmade aluminium panels most suited to high-speed continental trips. This particular example was ordered wîth a very special dashboard in black leather wîth black bezel instrumentation as opposed to the more usual burr walnut chrome type. Restored in the late eighties this car has been awarded many rosettes at past Rolls-Royce Concours D'Elegance gatherings.Source - Blackhawk Collection
This car is 1 of 253 Silver Cloud III long-wheelbase cars produced. It is a one owner, unrestored car. The owner picked up this car in London in 1962 and kept it until 2008 when it was purchased by its current owner in an estate sale.
The car has very detailed and extensive records of maintenance that span the 43 years of ownership. The originality and unrestored condition of this car is amazing. This car has a rare original cruise control device pictured in the engine compartment.
1965 was the last year that the low production 'Pressed Steel' Silver Cloud Saloon was produced.
Sold for $132,000 at 2009 Gooding & Company. This Silver Cloud 3 Continental Coupe wears alloy coachwork by H.J. Mulliner Park Ward. It was built for the King of Bahrain, H.H. Sheikh Khalifa bin Sheikh Salman Al Khalifa. The royal family was a loyal customer of the Rolls-Royce Company and had owned at least one example of nearly every exclusive model.
This example was ordered with many rare and expensive options, many of which are said to appear only on this particular car. It was ordered with full colonial specifications, full refrigeration, cocktail requisites (crystal decanters, thermos, etc.,), whitewall tires and a Phillips 45 rpm record player. It was painted Porcelain White over Scarlet Connolly hides and fitted with the crest of the royal family.
Michael Schudroff purchased the car in 1972, at which time it was located in Switzerland. To date, the car has covered approximately 19,000 original miles.
In 2009, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company Pebble Beach Auction where it was estimated to sell for $175,000 - $225,000 and offered without reserve. The lot was sold for the sum of $132,000, including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2010
This is a remarkably straight, well preserved low mileage Silver Cloud III, which is enjoyed on a regular basis rather than strictly for shows. It is finished as originally supplied in the classic Masons Black with Beige Connolly hides, it is a factory air conditioned example from new with power windows and a full complement of accessories. The original tools and handbooks have survived in fine order.
Sold for $99,000 at 2011 RM Auctions. The Silver Cloud III was produced from late 1962 until October of 1965, with 2,376 examples produced. They were replaced by the Silver Shadow.
The Silver Cloud was introduced in 1955 with continuous development made throughout its production lifespan. The Silver Cloud II was introduced in 1959 followed by the Silver Cloud III in 1962. The Silver Cloud III had many cosmetic changes, with the most notable being a new four-headlamp arrangement. Mechanically, the 6.2-liter alloy V8 was now claimed to produce eight percent more power than before, resulting in an output increase to almost 220 bhp.
This Silver Cloud III is a late-production 1965 model that has just over 64,400 miles. It has had just two owners from new. It was acquired by the current long-term owner in 1980. The car has been extensively restored and has many desirable features such as the air conditioning system and clear driving lamps.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at RM Auctions' Arizona sale where it was estimated to sell for $100,000 - $125,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $99,000 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2011
Sold for $104,500 at 2011 RM Auctions. This alloy-bodied example is a Mulliner Park Ward coupe. There were 2,809 examples of the Silver Cloud III produced, and 2,555 had the 123-inch wheelbase. Just 328 examples were fitted with coach-built bodies. There were just 65 examples of the Mulliner Park Ward Design 2045 Coupe produced.
Mechanical advancements for the Silver Cloud III included a compression increase to 9.0:1 for the aluminum block-and-head 6.2-liter V-8, enlarged carburetors and a corresponding output boost of some 20 estimated horsepower. The Silver Cloud III also had such standard features as a four-speed automatic gearbox, power-assisted brakes, a radio and a heater.
This coupe is an original left-hand drive example that was delivered new to Vincent P. Cronin of New York on April 5th of 1965. Optional features included on this car included whitewall Firestone tires, electric window lifts, an emergency hand window winder, plain Sundym glass all around and a Radiomobile electric aerial with a 'T' key.
The car was purchased by Mr. Will in 1974 and retained it for the next 36 years.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at RM Auctions' Arizona sale where it was estimated to sell for $125,000 - $175,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $104,500 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2011
The history of the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud dates back to 1955. The first series rode on a 123-inch wheelbase and were given a traditional Rolls-Royce six-cylinder engine. In 1959, a V-8 powerplant arrived with the introduction of the Silver Cloud II, which in turn was superseded by the mildly updated Silver Cloud IIIN in 1962. The 6.2-liter V-8 found in the Silver Cloud II was carried over to the Silver Cloud III. However, the Series III models had twin SU carburetors which helped boost output to approximately 220 horsepower. Total production between 1962 and 1966 was 2,376 units.
The Silver Cloud III was the last Rolls-Royce model to be built in the traditional body-on-chassis manner. In 1967, it was succeeded by the uni-bodied Silver Shadow.
This 1965 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III is one of 49 produced with left-hand drive and was first owned by the proprietor of a prominent menswear store chain. It was originally delivered in Europe and then sent to Northern California after its first year of ownership.
The in-house Rolls-Royce coachbuilding operation, Mulliner Park Ward, was tasked with creating the coachwork for this drop head. It is cataloged as style number 2045. This well-proportioned slab-sided 'drop head coupe' has triple taillights, canted quad headlamps, and modern styling.
This example is also one of the last Silver Cloud III Convertibles. There is power steering which offered greater assist than that of prior models. The vehicle has never been restored and has covered less than 1,000 miles since a major servicing which was completed in February of 2011.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the Quail Lodge Sale presented by Bonhams. It was estimated to sell for $185,000 - $225,000. Bidding failed to satisfy the vehicle's reserve and it would leave the auction unsold. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2011
One of 18 left drives built, this was part of a group of low mileage coachbuilt Rolls-Royces and Bentleys in the hands of its second owner who passed away in 1976. Vantage Motorworks supplied it to an enthusiastic client who wanted one when they were new, but fiscally beyond his reach in August 1997 with 29,183 miles. Recently re-acquired 649 miles later, it has been freshly re-lacquered in velvet green to complement its largely original beige Connolly hides. Roof ducted air conditioning, complete tools and history accompanies this aluminum bodied vehicle.
The Silver Cloud III, produced from late 1962 to 1965, was the last Rolls-Royce model with separate body-and-chassis construction suitable for the finest custom coach-built bodywork.
This rare alloy-bodied Mulliner Park Ward Design 2045 Coupe remains among the most desirable of all post-WW II Rolls-Royce cars. Only 200 of these examples were crafted, approximately half were fixed-head coupes and half drop-heads.
Mechanical advancements to the Silver Cloud III's 6.2-liter V8 with aluminum block and heads, included an increased 9.0:1 compression ratio and larger carburetors. A four-speed automatic transmission was standard.
This particular automobile was delivered by J.S. Inskip Motors of Manhattan to its first owner, Dr. Vincent Cronin of New York, in April of 1965. It was later sold to Los Angeles based Rolls-Royce collector Mr. Wendell Will in 1974 who meticulously maintained the car for 36 years through 2010, cosmetically changing only the black interior to grey with red piping. The current owners are just the third owner of this car.
The Silver Cloud III debuted in 1962, as the final iteration of the Silver Cloud Series.
Mechanically, it was essentially identical to the Bentley S3 Continental. The Flying Spur design by H. J. Mulliner was introduced in 1957 and was offered on all three S series Bentleys and in 1962 as a Rolls Royce. There were only 35 right hand drive models and 18 left hand drive models constructed between 1962 and 1965.
The next major model change took place in 1955 wîth the introductions of the Silver Cloud. It was fitted wîth the current 4,887cc engine, but a totally new pressed-steel body was designed and the streamlined, elegant and perfectly balanced look of this car made it an instant success. Most cars were fitted wîth an automatic gearbox although a few were manual.
The rear brakes were combined hydraulic and mechanical wîth the usual Rolls-Royce gearbox-driven servo. Front suspension was by unequal length wishbones and coil springs wîth rear semi-elliptic electrically controlled dampers. A top speed of 106 mph was possible.
The press called the new Silver Cloud the 'finest car in the world' and said, 'There is little doubt that these find new cars will carry on the maker's tradition and reputation.' They were right: orders came from all around the world, wîth an unprecedented number from America, where it proved to be extremely popular in Hollywood.
The Silver Cloud II, launched in 1959, retained the same body as the Silver Cloud I, but was powered by a completely new V8 engine of 6,230cc. Coupled wîth automatic transmission as standard, the Silver Cloud II set new standards of refinement and performance. The 'Autocar' wrote: 'Only by adopting advanced production methods and thereby increasing yearly output can a superlative machine like this be made today at a price its clientele can afford. The Rolls-Royce is one of very few surviving top quality cars; the maintained standard of overall excellence is rewarded by full order books, and a world reputation which has never stood higher.'
In 1962, a lower bonnet line and twin headlamps were introduced and the Cloud III was born. Engine power was upped by 15% and the top speed rose to 117 mph. The compression ratio was increased and the 1-inch SÚ carburetors replaced by 2-inch units.
A 1963 road test stated: 'It is a pity that a connoisseur's car like the Rolls-Royce remains far beyond the dreams of the vast majority of the World's motorists, but good to know that cars of this quality can be built still and that there is a healthy market for them. They set a standard that is really appreciated best when one returns to driving lesser cars.'
The Silver Cloud range prompted the immortal line used in its advertising, 'At 60 miles an hour the loudest noise in this new Rolls-Royce comes from the electric clock.'Source - Rolls-Royce Motor Cars
The last of the Rolls-Royce separate-chassis cars from Crewe, the Silver Cloud was the main vehicle manufactured by Rolls-Royce from April 1955 until March 1966. The Silver Cloud replaced the Silver Dawn and was eventually replaced by the Silver Shadow. A major update from the pre-war models, the main design work was accomplished by J.P. Blatchley.
With a simple steel box section, the chassis was welded together and was very rigid while construction was still split into chassis and pressed steel and aluminum coachwork. It wasn't until the Silver Shadow that the uni-body construction arrived.
Weighing a total of 1.95 ton's, the Silver Cloud measured 5.38 m long and 1.90 m wide. Transmission was a four-speed automatic with an engine that was a 4.9 L six-cylinder unit. Suspension was independent coils at the front and semi-elliptic springs at the rear while the brakes were servo-assisted hydraulic drums.
In 1959 the Silver Cloud II was introduced with minor changes externally, but with the addition of a 6.2 L V8 engine with now pushed the vehicles weight to 2.11 tons. The top speed jumped to 183 km/h while the biggest improvements were showcased in acceleration and torque. Essentially the Silver Cloud with a different engine, the Rolls-Royce new 6.2-liter light-alloy V8 has been said to have been inspired by Cadillac's 1949 OHV unit.
Identical in everything but the nameplate, and of course, the Rolls-Royce radiator and mascot, the Silver Cloud II favored the companion Bentley S-Type Series II. 229 units of this model were long-wheelbase limo's with division window and handcrafted coachwork, though most of these vehicles had the ‘standard steel' sedan body. Though falling behind the rising standard of chassis refinement, the 1959-1962 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II was still the ‘Best Car in the World'.
In 1963 the Silver Cloud III was unveiled with slightly updated external tweaks and a remodeled interior. The weight of this newest model was reduced by almost 100 kg which resulted in boosted engine speed and slight performance. Very similar to the later Silver Shadow, the headlights were updated to a four-headlamp layout.
A total of 2,238 units of the Silver Cloud were produced during its production time.By Jessica Donaldson
Despite taking place across the channel, the Bonhams sale Les Grandes Marques au Grand Palais in Paris on 9th February will witness the sale of some of Britains finest motor cars. More than 30 vehicles...