1939 Delahaye Type 165 news, pictures, specifications, and information
The Delahaye Automobile Manufacturing Company was started by Emile Delahaye in 1894 in Tours, France. His first cars were belt-driven, with single or twin cylinder engines. In 1900, Delahaye left the firm and the renamed company, the Societe des Automobiles Delahaye, constructed a factory in Paris in 1901, where they continued to manufacture cars and trucks.
This Delahaye 165 Cabriolet features a 4.5-liter, triple overhead cam, aluminum, 12-cylinder engine with three downdraft Solex carburetors. Delahaye had no in-house coachworks, so all its chassis were custom-bodied by independent. This example wears coachwork of Figoni & Falaschi.
One of only two built, this V-12 Delahaye, with coachwork by Figoni & Falaschi, was chosen by the French Government to represent France at the 1939 New York World's Fair, where it caused a sensation. When World War II broke out, the car became stranded at U.S. customs in New York and it remained there for the next eight years. A Beverly Hills dealer acquired the car in 1947, re-sold it for the substantial sum of $12,000 and it was returned to New York. It was purchased by a private party in 1946 who installed a Cadillac V8 engine. The car was discovered in Fresno, California in 1981 and began an 8-year restoration which included remarrying it to its original V-12 engine.
This Delahaye 165 Figoni & Falaschi Cabriolet was first seen at the 1938 Paris Auto Salon, where it was pronounced by many to be the most beautiful car of the show. Built on a Type 145 racing chassis and fitted with a rare V12 engine, it offered incredible performance in addition to unique styling.
The design, one of Figoni & Falaschi's most harmonious creations, includes the sensitive use of chrome brightwork along the sills, which wrap around the rear, and along the bonnet sides and doors.
Two identical Type 165s were built by Figoni & Falaschi in 1938, and while this car appeared at the Paris Salon, its twin (chassis number 60744) was shown in the French Pavilion at the New York World Fair. This car was first purchased by W.E. 'Billy' Butlin, the British holiday camp entrepreneur, and its next owner was Adrian Conan Doyle, the son of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle of Sherlock Holmes fame. It was acquired by the Lee collection in 1988.
Emile Delahaye was born in Tours, France in 1843. He studied engineering in Angers, France. In 1869 he began work with his engineering degree in applied arts and crafts.
Emile Delahaye began business in Tours, France in the middle of the 19th century for the purpose of constructing engines for the ceramic industry. The company branched out and began constructing mechanical appliances such as pumps and engines. In 1888, Delahaye designed an internal combustion engine for the shipping industry. It was not until 1896 that Automobile production began for Delahaye. His first automobiles produced were powered by belt-driven single and twin cylinder engines.
Emile used motor racing to promote his vehicles. In 1896, Emile Delahaye entered the Paris-Marseilles race. Not only did he enter a vehicle his company had created, but he entered as the driver. The results were astounding, which truly speaks highly of the caliber and quality of the automobile. The demand for the vehicles began pouring-in and a second factory was opened.
Due to failing health, Delahaye was forced into retirement in 1901. This was a year after the second factory was opened in Paris. Since Delahaye had no heirs, management control was passed onto a young engineer named Charles Weiffenbach. Weiffenbach oversaw operations until 1954.
In 1905, due to failing health, Emile Delahaye passed away.
Automotive racing was paramount during this period in history. This is why many of the vehicles built during this era were built to be raced and to be used as the daily driver. The sales of the vehicles were stimulated by the way the vehicle performed on the race track. Weiffenbach, however had a different philosophy. His main focus and priority was to build dependable vehicles. Many of the early vehicles were equipped with four cylinder engines capable of producing between 9-12 horsepower. Near the beginning of the first World War, a 6 cylinder, 2565cc, engine was used.
In addition to automobiles, the Delahaye company produced trucks, lorries, parcel carriers for the post office, motor ploughs, fire engines, and other commercial and military vehicles. Many of the vehicles were used during the First World War
From 1927 to 1933, productions of the medium-class cars were low, but the vehicles that were produced carried with them a reputation of being reliable and robust.
In the early thirties, Weiffenbach, also known as 'Monsieur Charles' by his piers, was in his early 60's. The decision was made to boldly move into the sports car arena. This was in response to the market trends and a way to re-establish a competitive edge in the automotive technology spectrum. For an automotive company that had never created a car that could achieve a top speed faster than 110 km/h, this would be a major undertaking.
Jean Francois, a 29 year-old engineer, was commissioned to construct a series of sporty cars using as many of the spare parts as possible. Talbot's new independent suspension was used along with a new chassis with box-section side members. The engine was borrowed from one of their trucks. The engine featured a 65mm crankshaft with internal lubrication. In 1933, the vehicles were introduced at the Paris Car Salon. They were the 4 cylinder 12CV and the 6 cylinder 18CV. At the show, Lucy O'Reilly Schell approached Weiffenbach with a request to have a vehicle built that could be entered in rally events.
Lucy O'Reilly, a wealthy American with an Irish origin, had a passion for racing. So fueled by Delahayes desire to produce sports cars and Reilly's financial backing and quest to win motor sport events, the company re-entered the racing scene.
The Type 135 was created with variants such as the 135 Competition Speciale (135 CS), designed specifically for racing. The 135 Sport and the 135 Coupe both featured a 3.2 liter engine. The Sport produced 96 horsepower while the Coupe had 110 horsepower. 120 horsepower was produced by the 3.6 liter engine that rested in the Type 135 Competition model. The engine in the 135 CS was a simple pushrod operated engine borrowed from the 1927 Type 103 truck engine. It gave up horsepower for great acceleration and torque.
The Type 135 is considered as one of the most famous and prestigious vehicles produced by Delahaye. In both design and racing competition, it was very successful. Designed in 1934 it was quickly entered into races such as the 24 Heures du Mans, the Monte-Carlo Rally, and the Paris-Saint-Raphael motor race, where it had great successes at being a competitive and reliable automobile.
The Type 135 Competition Speciale Sports Car (CS) had a chassis 25 cm shorter than the 135 touring car. This shortened version had better weight distribution which greatly improved the handling and performance. The engine and 4-speed Wilson epicyclic gearbox was placed lower in the chassis, thus contributing to the benefits of a better balanced vehicle. The 135 CS came equipped with an 80 liter or a 100 liter fuel tank, this option was left up to the buyer's discretion.
The 135 CS was debut in the 1936 Monte Carlo Rally where it finished 2nd in a field of fierce competition. In 1936 it was the winner of the Marsailles Gran Prix. At the French Gran Prix is placed second, third, fourth and fifth.
Well-known coachbuilders, such as Franay, Letourner & Marchard, Chapron, and Guillore, were tasked with outfitting the 135's. This may have been influenced by Delage, an automotive company that Delahaye merged with in 1935. As a result, the 135 won numerous awards for styling and design.
The Type 135's are truly a prestigious masterpiece with a strong racing history and a heritage that was formed on stability, robustness, and stamina.
Figoni was an Italian emigrant who had changed his name to Joseph after arriving in France. In 1935, he began working with another Italian designer named Ovidio Falaschi. In 1936, they built the Delahaye 135MS roadster for the Paris Salon. The vehicle was based on drawings by the automobile artist Geo Ham. This design brought the duo instant success and recognition.
The Delahaye Type 165 was also designed by Guiseppi Figoni and Falaschi. The Type 165 was built for the 1937 Paris Salon. It featured a 12-cylidner engine. A crank handle under the dash was used to remove the rectractable windshield where it would disappear down to cowl.
By Daniel Vaughan | May 2009
Recent Vehicle Additions
|What Cars Can You Expect to See at The Elegance at Hershey?|
|HERSHEY, PA (May 2017) - The Elegance at Hershey is a celebration of a bygone era when the automobile stirred our imaginations and quickened our hearts. Today, people both young and old marvel at the extravagances of the automobiles of the past. Modeled after the grandest concours hosted in Europe and America, The Elegance at Hershey is the ultimate garden party featuring the world's most exquisite collector cars, displayed in and around the impeccably manicured European style gardens of ...[Read more...]|
|Concours d'Elegance of America : Best of Show|
The 38th Concours d'Elegance of America displayed over 300 of the world's most spectacular contributions to automotive history. This year, the event paid tribute to many special features inclduing Ford GT-40s, Body by Dietrich, Rally Cars, Pierce Arrow, 110 years of Lancia, Jet-Age Travel Trucks, and a spectacular assortment of Classics and early Brass Cars.
The days activites ended with naming the winners of Best of Show American and Best of Show Foreign.
|140 CARS GO UNDER THE HAMMER AT COYS BLENHEIM PALACE AUCTION|
|◾Daimler DB18 Drophead used by Churchill for campaigns in 1944 and 1949 to be sold at Churchill's birthplace
◾Ex-John Bolster Mini, raced at Goodwood's Members Meeting in 1960
◾The Jaguar Legend collection, fifteen Ferraris and much more
COYS return to the magnificent surroundings of Blenheim Palace, birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill and one of England's greatest palaces, with a sensational line-up of over 140 motor cars being offered at auction on July 2nd.
In addition, Coys will host...[Read more...]|
|2015 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Best of Show|
|PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 17, 2015) -- An Italian Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8A Cabriolet that once turned heads and garnered top prizes in the classic era glided to victory at the 65th Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance on Sunday.
The competition drew 219 cars from 16 countries and 29 U.S. states to the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links. It also raised over $1.8 million to help people in need. Through the Pebble Beach Company Foundation, which celebrates its 40th anniversary this ...[Read more...]|
|THE CONCORSO D'ELEGANZA VILLA D'ESTE 2014 CELEBRATES THE ROARING TWENTIES AND SOME COMPELLING LANDMARKS|
|Munich/Cernobbio. The glitz and glamour of the Roaring Twenties, an exquisite selection of vehicles, and anniversaries certain to capture the imagination will be the headline attractions at the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este 2014. The 85th edition of the tradition-swathed event on Lake Como will take place from 23 – 25 May 2014, hosted for the 10th time by BMW Group Classic and the Villa d'Este luxury hotel. The organisers took the opportunity at the Geneva International Motor Show to r...[Read more...]|