Sold for $259,600 at 2004 RM Auctions. Sold for $247,500 at 2010 RM Auctions. In 1937 Howard 'Dutch' Darrin of Hollywood, CA began designing this radical coachwork known for its chrome frame windshield and cut-down doors. The Darrin attracted celebrity owners such as Clark Gable, Tyrone Power, Errol Flynn, Rosalind Russell, Constance Bennett, Gene Krupa, Ann Sheridan, Ruby Keller (Mrs. Al Jolson) and Preston Foster. In early 1939 coachwork production was moved to the Central Body Co. in Connersville, IN and in May 1941 production was moved to Sayers & Scoville Co. (Hess & Eisenhardt), Cincinnati, Oh. The production in 1941 was 35 Darrins, each with a approximate cost of $5,000. The engine is a 356 cubic-inch 160 horsepower straight-eight. This Darrin is currently on display at Citizens Motorcar Company - America's Packard Museum in Dayton, Ohio.
There were Packards, and then there were Darrin Packards. Howard 'Dutch' Darrin has been doing custom coachwork on Packards since the early 1920's, but his real 'star' came when he set up shop in Hollywood, customizing Packard coupes into dazzling Convertible Victorias with cut-down doors, a low hood line, and a padded dash. A total of 14 were built in Hollywood through 1939, two on the Super Eight chassis, and the rest on the One-Twenty chassis.
Darrin represented his masterpieces to Packard dealers, who then lobbied the company to offer these stunning cars as 'catalogue customs' which it did through 1942. Darrin built the cars in Cornersville, Indiana in 1940 and Packard moved production to Hess & Eisenhardt, in Cincinnati, in 1941 and 1942. About 150 Darrins were built, in all, mostly as Convertible Victorias. A few Sedans and Convertible Sedans were built, as well as one Sedanca.
This Convertible Victoria, finished in Packard Cream, is in the 'normal' configuration without either running boards or sidemounts. It is estimated there were only 50 Darrin Convertible Victoria's built in 1940 and only 35 in 1941. It has a 160 horsepower, 356 cubic-inch engine and dual-down draft carburetors. There is an AM radio, 20 gallon fuel tank, 5-gallon radiator capacity and 7.00 x 16 white wall tires. Prices started at $4,550 when introduced in September of 1940 and increased to $4,595 in June of 1941.
Sold for $165,000 at 2011 Gooding & Company. Packard produced approximately 930 examples of the Senior Packards in 1941, and approximately 50 such examples were the LeBaron Touring Limousine. The semi-custom was built on Packard's longest wheelbase of 1941 and, at $5,595, was the most expensive model available that year.
It is believed that this limousine is the one that was assigned to the White House between 1941 and 1947, serving as transportation for Presidents Roosevelt and Truman. After its presidential duties were performed, it was acquired by Governor Thomas Dewey of New York state, who used the limousine in his campaign for president against incumbent Harry Truman.
In April of 1985, the car was acquired by Dr. Charles Blackman of Madison, Indiana. In 1991, it was sold to Bill Mitchell. In 2006, it was sold to an individual who had a significant collection in Houston, Texas.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Pebble Beach, CA. It was estimated to sell for $150,000-$225,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $165,000 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2011
In 1941 Packard offered a small line of custom bodies carrying the LeBaron nameplate, of which this Sport Sedan is one. By this point LeBaron was a part of the Briggs Body Co. and these were created in the custom section of Briggs. As a cost-cutting effort, Packard often forced outside body builders to use stock body components. A careful eye will find the rear window and trunk configuration of a stock 1941 Packard coupe cleverly used in this body.
In 1941, the LeBaron Company was commissioned to build about 100 custom bodies for Packard. Standard on the Packard 180 series were power windows, overdrive and deluxe interior appointments. The 180 series vehicles were powered by a 356 cubic-inch straight eight engine with 160 horsepower. It rode on a 138-inch wheelbase and weighs 4,450 pounds.
This Packard was delivered to Morristown, New Jersey, on February 20th of 1941. Options included a radio, heater, backup lights, bumper guard over riders and rare factory air-conditioning.
This car was listed at nearly $4,800 when compared to a new Cadillac that was listed at $2,900.
Sport Brougham Coachwork: LeBaron Chassis Num: 14522002 Engine Num: C501634A
Sold for $176,000 at 2013 Gooding & Company. LeBaron made just 99 examples of the Sport Brougham that made its debut in 1941 on the 138-inch wheelbase. These were essentially a replacement for the outgoing Club Sedan. This particular example is only the second example produced of this custom-built body style. It was ordered new by Norwegian figure skating champion and actress Sonja Henie. It was sold on November 1st of 1940 by the Earle C. Anthony dealership in Los Angeles.
After Ms. Heine's ownership, this car passed to at least one other caretaker before Richard L. Roach, acquired it in the early 2000s. The Packard was purchased soon thereafter by fellow AACA member Francis Childs of Jupiter, Florida, who immediately began an extensive frame-off restoration. The work took nearly three years to complete at a cost exceeding $250,000.
After the restoration work was completed in late 2008, this Super-8 One-Eighty was exhibited at the Lake Mirror Classic in Lakeland, Florida in October 2009. It was awarded with a Best of Show honorable mention. Following a Second in Class award at the Boca Raton Concours d'Elegance in February 2010, the Packard was shown at the AACA's national meet in Homestead, Florida, where it won a First Junior Award. It was later shown at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance.
A year later it earned a 100-point score and a Primary Division win at the CCCA meeting in Palm Beach, Florida, in January of 2011. Two months later, it earned a Senior 1st place badge at the AACA 2011 national winter meet. In early 2012, this Sport Brougham was acquired by its current owner.
The car is finished in Balboa Blue paint with a broadcloth upholstery interior. It has a 3-speed manual gearbox, 4-wheel hydraulic drum brakes, and a 356 CID L-Head 8-cylidner engine.
In 2013, the vehicle was offered for sale at Gooding & Company's Scottsdale, Arizona auction. It was estimated to sell for $100,000 - $150,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, it had been sold for the sum of $176,000 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2013
This is the 226th of 930 four-door Touring Sedans built by Packards in 1941. It had a base price of $2,912, exclusive of options, when a Ford Deluxe sedan had a base price of $800. There were 110 options available, and the most expensive was air conditioning, at $1,085. The compressor had no clutch, so the drive belt had to be removed to turn it off. This example was purchased very early by the Harrah Auto Collection in Reno because it was one of the first vehicles to have air conditioning in this country. At the Harrah auction in 1981, this car was sold to a collector who wanted to dismantle it for parts for his 1941 Packard LeBaron Sedan. He eventually decided that it was too good to dismantle, and sold it to the current owner in 1999. Restoration was completed in 2007. It still has the Harrah Museum nomenclature plate on the bumper bracket.
Often it is the provenance of a full classic automobile that really makes it stand apart. This full classic 1941 Packard 1907 Convertible Limousine with body by Rollson is a true one-off custom. It is believed to be the very last custom convertible body produced by Rollson, and the largest.
This fine automobile was purchased new by Colonel Parmalee Prentice and his wife, the youngest daughter of oil tycoon John D. Rockefeller. After several years of ownership they would sell the car to another member of the Rockefeller family, who eventually sold it to Bill Harrah.
A long list of unique features make this Packard truly unique. Among them is the rear mounted speedometer, allowing the Colonel to enforce the Prentice Estate speed limit of 25 miles per hour. You see, Colonel Prentice owned several large estates, and excessive speed was not tolerated. It also has a rear divider window assuring the family's privacy. Also of note is that Colonel Prentice ordered all of the Packard scripts to be omitted. This would include deletion of the logos on all areas of the car, including the 'hex' logos on the wheel covers. Colonel Prentice did not want to advertise that the car was a Packard.
With a mere 27,000 original miles, it remains nearly all original, as delivered to the Colonel in 1941, right down to the initials on the rear doors. This is one of as many as ten American made custom coach built automobiles that were owned by Colonel Prentice.
This car was purchased new by Mrs. Elizabeth G. Packard on May 3, 1941 at Hause Garage located in Jamestown, New York. Mrs. Packard requested body and interior custom alterations that would have added to this base price. It was primarily used in Lakewood, New York and Warren, Ohio until Mrs. Packard's death in 1960.Source - National Packard Museum
This 1941 Packard All Weather (AW) Cabriolet is the only example of this motor car known to exist. The exact number produced is unknown.
This 4,075 pound car, riding on a 138-inch wheelbase, is powered by a 356 cubic-inch inline-eight producing 160 horsepower. New, this car sold for $4,695, while a Packard standard 4-door sedan sold for $1,076. This car was a definite part of the smart, urban scene as top hats and sequins, and was the favorite formal transportation of a discriminating society.
The car has recently completed a three-year restoration.
This Bohman & Schwartz Convertible Victoria is a stunning design that is somewhat reminiscent of the Packard Darrin Victoria, yet it is distinctive in many ways. The V-windshield has a strikingly severe rake to it, while the trailing edge of the front fender extends gracefully into the door instead of ending before the door. A 10-inch longer wheelbase than the Darrin Victoria, a lack of running boards and the bold chrome spear on the body side combine to make a beautiful, long, low, truly elegant automobile of distinction.
This car was purchased new in California by the auto of racing personality Phil Hill. Phil later acquired the car and used it in the 1950s to tow his Ferrari to races up and down the West Coast. It is generally accepted that this is one of two surviving Bohman & Schwartz Convertible Victorias, of at least three originally built.
This 1941 Packard Darrin was custom built by Howard 'Dutch' Darrin by modifying Packard Convertibles. Darrin lowered doorlines and windshields and extended the hood. It has rear opening doors, rather than suicide doors common on the 1939-1940 models and authentic Packard Ribbed Flooring.
Only 35 of the 1941 cars were produced and as of 1996 only 11 are left. This car was restored in 1994. The original selling price was $4,685.
Sold for $203,500 at 2011 RM Auctions. This Packard Darrin Convertible Victoria was delivered on January 27th of 1951 through the Meador Motor Company in Houston, Texas. It was purchased by Harry Rinker in the late 1960s from collector Tom Lester. A professional restoration was completed in the late 1970s. This is the twelfth of a believed 35 Darrin Convertible Victorias built for 1941. It is one of fewer 20 estimated survivors. Power is from a 365 cubic-inch, L-head inline engine offering 160 horsepower. There are four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes and a three-speed manual transmission.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale in Monterey, Ca. presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $225,000-$300,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $203,500, including buyer's premium.
This Darrin-designed convertible is one of just 35 built in 1941 at a retail price of $4,595. This last iteration of Darrin's famed cut-down door style is felt by many to be the most successful because the body stability issues of earlier types were no longer present. Packard's overdrive-equipped 356 cubic-inch straight eight provided the lucky owner with a car that was as pleasing to drive as it was to the eye.
Sport Brougham Coachwork: LeBaron Engine Num: CD503992
Sold for $104,500 at 2014 RM Auctions. In the early 1940s, the custom coach-building industry began to fade out of existence. American luxury automakers slowly discontinued the factory-catalogued 'semi-customs' that had been a part of their lines for over a decade. Packard was among the last to offer bodies by coachbuilders LeBaron and Rollson, with the former being a division of Briggs by 1941, but still produce hand-built bodies in limited numbers. Many of LeBaron's final Packard offerings were formal limousines which were intended to be driven by a chauffeur. In 1941 only, an 'owner-driver' variant, the Sport Brougham, could also be had. It was similar to Cadillac's Series 60 Special, and featured a design with narrow chromed window frames and a 'formal' rear window on the shorter 1907 chassis, with a five-passenger interior. In total, just 99 Sport Broughams were built.
This example was sold by the Earle C. Anthony Packard dealership in Los Angeles. The original owner was August Herzeler, who was chauffeured in the car, and had it maintained by Anthony's shop before trading it back to the dealer in 1948. One of the salesman at the dealership became the car's next owner, which for six years was garaged in the dealership's sub-basement.
In 1954, Robert E. Carter, an early CCCA member, purchased the car from Earle C. Anthony and owned it for two decades. Ray Hunter owned it for a brief period of time before selling to another Southern California enthusiast, Wayne Bemis. Mr. Bemis owned the car until 1980, when it was purchased by Matt Browning, of Utah. Mr. Browning sold the Packard seven years later back to Mr. Bemis. It was later owned by Robert Escalante, and then by Art Astor before being acquired by the present owner.
The car was painted in the 1970s. It has its original factory-fitted Laidlaw wool broadcloth upholstery, Mosstred carpets, wood-grained dashboard, and grey plastic trim. It is equipped with hydraulic window lifts, factory overdrive, a deluxe heater/defroster, an electric winding clock, and a Philco P-1835 eight-tube pushbutton radio with a roof antenna.
The car has recently been driven over the 80,000 mile mark. It has completed both the Glidden and Chrome Glidden Tours, as well as a CCCA CARavan. It has been awarded the Veteran Motor Car Club of America's highest honor, the Golden Award of Excellence, as well as the George L. Weiss Memorial Trophy for the Best Pre-World War II Packard. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2014
All Weather Town Car Roll Coachwork: Rollson Chassis Num: 1450-2125 Engine Num: OD5835582
Sold for $82,500 at 2014 RM Auctions. In 1941, Rollson offered two 'catalogue custom' bodies on the Packard Custom Super Eight One Eighty chassis. Both were designed to be driven by a chauffeur, and were outfitted with open driver's compartment and padded formal roof lines. The All-Weather Town car rested on a 148-inch wheelbase platform and cost $4,820 each. Just three examples were built in 1941, with this example (with engine number OD5835582) being the sole surviving example.
This car was delivered new to Providence, Rhode Island. It eventually made its way into the ownership of John H. Behn, from Trumbull, Connecticut. Mr. Behn eventually sold the car to Robert Skop, from whom it was purchased by its present owner.
This All-Weather Town Car remains in original condition and includes most of its Rollson-applied Packard Blue paint and interior. It has never been fully restored. Equipment includes hydraulically operated windows, a feature which was available for Senior Packards for the first time this year, as well as functional overdrive, dual side-mounted spares, the traditional cormorant radiator mascot, and front and rear license plate brackets. It has the original rear compartment broadcloth upholstery and the odometer shows 67,327 miles, which may well be actual mileage from new. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2014
This Packard Model 1908 One-Eighty rests on a large 148-inch wheelbase and can accommodate up to seven occupants. It is equipped with a pair of folding jump seats and an open passenger compartment, meaning there is no division window to separate the driver and passengers, unlike other limousine bodies available for Packard's Model 1908 chassis. Power is from a 356 cubic-inch L-head eight-cylinder engine delivering 160 rated horsepower. There are power-operated windows and wool broadcloth upholstery on all seating surfaces. This has an unusual feature; the rear rooftop was opened and equipped with a snap-on cover for weather protection. A pair of Ash bows was also fitted to the car to help support dignitaries while standing up through the open roof during parades and formal processions.
This car was purchased from a collector in Tennessee and brought to Phoenix, Arizona in 1993. A body-off frame restoration began in 2002, with the work being completed in January of 2011. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2015
This car was owned by Lucy Aldrich, sister of John D. Rockefeller, Jr.'s wife Abby. This formal sedan was chauffeur driven to and from the theater, formal events and shopping. There is lots of leg room in the rear, but little in the front. It has a divider window, makeup mirrors and perfume bottles for the rear seat passengers. There is also a small jump seat on one side and a hidden compartment on the other side for packages and valuables.
This car has 45,000 original miles and was originally owned by Greta Garbo. It is one of 99 custom bodied Sport Broughams built with the body be LeBaron. The car was part of the Bill Harrah Collection in Reno, Nevada from 1971 to 1986. It has an eight cylinder L-head, 356 cubic-inch engine producing 160 horsepower at 3500 RPM and a three-speed transmission on a 138-inch wheelbase. It weighs 4,450 pounds and sold for $3,545. The 180 models were all custom cars available on special order. It is currently in its original color of Grove Green.
Sport Brougham Coachwork: LeBaron Engine Num: CD502599
Just 99 examples of the Sport Broughams were built and 20 are known to survive. The earliest-known owner of this particular example was George Oxford of Iowa. In the late 1960s, Mr. Oxford sold it to Don Hanson, who owned it until 2001, when it was sold to Tom Mix. After Mr. Mix's passing, his collection was privately sold, and the current owner acquired the car from the estate in 2006 as a partially completed project. Mr. Mix's shop then completed the restoration for the new owner over the next year. Since that time, the car has been driven about 2,500 miles. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2016
Sold for $36,300 at 2017 Bonhams. 1939 was the final year of the twelve cylinder Packard. For 1940, the straight eight was Packard's top power plant and it rivaled the twelve in terms of horsepower, yet it was lighter and a much simpler engine to maintain and build. The top Packard model was now called the 180 and was introduced with modern styling in 1940. Although its design was similar to the 160 model, the long wheelbase 180 was reserve for Packard custom coachwork offerings.
This particular Packard 180 is a four door, five-passenger Touring Sedan with a padded roof and a built-in trunk. There is a folding trunk rack which allows extra carrying capacity.
This Packard has been given a high quality bare metal re-spray in the original black. There has been re-chroming, an engine rebuild, and the front seats have been re-upholstered. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2017
The Packard One Eighty was first introduced in 1940 and was Packard's new top-of-the-line vehicle. It served as a replacement for the company's V12 powered vehicle. The Packard 180 was given a eight-cylinder 356 cubic-inch engine that produced an astonishing 160 horsepower. Packard proudly claimed that it was the most powerful eight cylinder engine on the market.
Though most of the other series, the 110, 120, 160, and 180, were similar in body styling in 1940, the 180 was segregated by its exquisite interior detailing, and lush carpets and fabrics. Options included a heater/defroster, air conditioning, radio, fender skirts, backup lights and more.
Styling changed only slightly during its production lifespan, lasting until 1942 when World War II brought an end to civilian automobile production. Famous coachbuilders, such as Darrin and LeBaron were given the opportunity to build their interpretation of the automobile on this accommodating chassis. These were constructed in limited numbers and built to suite the individual customers needs, desires, and specifications.
Standard on the 180 Series were power windows, overdrive, and deluxe interior appointments. The 180 Series was powered by a 356-cubic inch straight-eight, with 160 hp, and rode on a 138-inch wheelbase. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2009