Rolls Royce introduced the Silver Cloud model in April of 1955. It followed the production run of the Silver Dawn, and the relocation of manufacturing to Crewe. The new model was to be somewhat larger, substantially roomier, just as nimble and no less speedy. In addition, provisions were added for conveniences such as power assisted steering, automatic transmission and improved ventilation. Initially, 'sufficient' power came from a staid six-cylinder engine.
The Silver Cloud Series II, introduced in August 1959 saw the introduction of eight-cylinder power. This offset the tendency for both production and coach built bodies, which had become progressively heavier.
The final iteration, the Silver Cloud III, began production in September 1962.
Sold for $48,300 at 2013 Bonhams. Introduced in the autumn of 1959, the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II and Bentley S2 appeared externally unchanged from their Cloud and S-Type predecessors. The duo's performance, however, was considerably enhanced by the new 6,230cc aluminum-alloy V8 engine. They were wider and shorter than the 'six' they replaced, the new V8 power unit fitted relatively easily within the engine bay, relocation of the steering box from inside to outside of the chassis frame being the most obvious alteration to the previous arrangements. Rolls-Royce's own four-speed automatic transmission was now the only one on offer and power steering was standardized
The Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II and its Bentley S3 equipment were introduced in 1962 and were powered by the 6.2-liter V8 engine introduced on the Cloud II and S2 range, though with larger carburetors, new distributor and raised compression ratio. They also came with a four-speed GM-derived automatic transmission as standard equipment. Other changes included the adoption of four-headlamp lighting, the absence of sidelights from the wing tops, and a slightly lower radiator shell. The inside received improved accommodation with separate front seats and increased room for rear passengers.
The Silver Cloud III was also the last mainstream Rolls-Royce to employ a separate chassis. Production continued until the autumn of 1965.
This example was built for the American market in 1963 and delivered through the Rambler dealer in Palm Springs, California to its first owner, Mr. F. Newman in Las Vegas, Nevada. Finished in Astral Blue with blue leather upholstery, the Rolls-Royce was specified with Dunlop whitewall tires, a Blue Spot radio, electric windows and Ambassador Blue lambs-wool rugs front and rear.
The current owner's wife's family purchased the car in 1965, effectively making this a two-family ownership example from new. It is a low mileage example showing just 29,708 miles on the odometer. Since it left the2 factory, the car has been given seat belts, a modern stereo/CD player and air conditioning. It is currently finished in two-tone gold and burgundy with matching burgundy leather interior.
In 2013, the car was offered for sale at Bonhams Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $48,300 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2013
Long Wheelbase Touring Limo Coachwork: James Young Chassis Num: LCAL 1 Engine Num: CL1A
This James Young Touring Limousine is the first of only seven left-hand drive all-aluminum examples built from 1963-1964. This Silver Cloud III long wheelbase car is finished in midnight Blue over Blue Grey hides. It was taken straight from the factory to the Paris Salon, where it was displayed by the French importer Franco Britannic Autos. It was delivered in September 1962 to its first owner a Mrs. H. Worms of Paris, France. The car came to the USA in 1977 when Mr. William Whitehouse of New Jersey purchased it. In 1984, owner Mitch Leigh, the producer of 'The King and I' granted access to the car to famed actor Yul Brynner. This gave rise to the inaccurate belief that the car belonged to Mr. Brynner.
Some of the wonderful features on this car are: rear division window, electric aerial and windows, rear reading lamps, Speedo in KPH, lambs-wool rugs, and vanity accessories. It is equipped with air conditioning, power steering and power window lifts. In the rear armrest there is a leather covered flask of the era accompanied by a set of Waterford Crystal glasses. It also retains its full complement of books and tools along with all of the factory records.
The current stewards of the car have devoted considerable resources to upgrading the restoration of the car and exercising it frequently.
This 1963 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III Mulliner Drophead Coupe is 1 of 27 left-hand-drives ever built. This 73,673 mile example was refinished in New York City about 12 years ago. During 1998-1999 the mechanical aspects were reviewed and rebuilt as necessary to ensure correct and reliable operation of the automobile.Source - Blackhawk Collection
This Silver Cloud III is considered the prelude to the Silver Shadow models of the mid-1960s. It featured increased compression, for additional power allowing for options such as air conditioning. It carried a lower radiator and four headlights. This example carries drophead coachwork by H.J. Mulliner.
This is one of just 25 left-hand drive models produced in 1963. It is finished in Dusk Grey, with scarlet hides and shows just as it was ordered by Mrs. Axel Borstrom, of Stockholm, Sweden. It sports a series of unique features, such as a right front headrest, special veneers to match a Bentley Flying Spur, a dashboard mounted tachometer, an opening rear armrest and more.
A few years later, the now divorced Mrs. Borstrom sold the car to a noted Hollywood personality and the careful ownership since is known. It was shown at the 2011 Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance where it had 73,714 km (46,000 mile).
Drophead Coupe Coachwork: Mulliner Chassis Num: LSDW 87 Engine Num: SW 43 D
Sold for $429,000 at 2012 Gooding & Company. This 1963 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III Drophead Coupe with coachwork by H.J. Mulliner was once in the care of legendary singer and dancer, Sammy Davis Jr. Mr. Davis Jr. purchased the car in April of 1963. The car was painted in period Sand livery with a beige interior. Tinted 'sundym' glass, electric front windows and a companion, containing notebook, compact and cigarette case in the rear armrest, are all listed as requirements for this special order.
The next owner of the car was Rolls-Royce dealer John J. Schaler III of Indianapolis before being sold to another L.A. owner, Robert Wells. The history of the car was lost from that point, but it re-surfaced in the 1990s when it was sold publicly in Scottsdale, Arizona. The listing stated the car had received a complete restoration, which included a bare metal respray to maroon paint, engine rebuild, transmission rebuild, new brakes, all chrome re-plated and a new interior. The car was purchased and sent to Germany. It returned to the United States in 2010. Since that time, the car has been re-painted to its original Sand color scheme.
In 2011, this vehicle was offered for sale at the Quail Lodge auction presented by Bonhams. It was estimated to sell for $475,000 - $550,000 but its reserve was not met and the car would leave the auction unsold. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2011
Sold for $63,800 at 2014 Bonhams. In the limousine market during the 1950s, Rolls-Royce catered to the wealthy, heads of state, and royalty with their Phantom IV and Silver Wraith. With the introduction of the Silver Cloud and Bentley S-Type, a long-wheelbase version of this modern design became available. The bodies were closely based on the factory's standard offering. They were four-inches longer in the wheelbase than the standard saloon and usually fitted out with an internal division, the majority handled by Rolls-Royce's in-house coachbuilder Park Ward (soon to become H.J. Mulliner, Park Ward). A few other examples were given bodywork by external coachbuilders such as James Young.
In the autumn of 1959, the Cloud II/S2 models were introduced along with a new 6230cc aluminum-alloy V8 engine. The long-wheelbase models would continue; they would account for a little over 10% of production and only 253 examples were produced.
This particular example was sold new in the United Kingdom, originally being built for a Mr. V.A. Ercolani of Broad Oaks in Chigwell, Essex. Mr. Ercolani took delivery of the car in September 1963 and registered it with the British Plate of 'VE 3'.
The car was finished in 'Special dark Maroon' paint scheme and with tan leather interior. Mr. Ercolani traded his Silver Cloud 1 also with James Young coachwork against his new purchase.
Later in life, the car would cross the Atlantic and become part of the Frank Matthew Jr. collection of New Orleans, Louisiana. In the late 1990s, it came into the care of its present owner.
The car has magnolia leather interior piped in burgundy and plush burgundy carpets and over-rugs. It wears a much older repaint to the current tobacco brown scheme. The 6230cc overhead valve V8 engine is estimated to produce 220 horsepower. There is a 4-speed automatic transmission and four-wheel drum brakes. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2014
Six is probably amongst the shortest of all production runs, but such is the story of the Silver Cloud four-door Drophead cabriolet. This car, delivered in July 1965, was the last one produced. The model began when famed toy manufacturer, Louis Marx, commissioned the car he wanted: one with the looks of the H.J. Mulliner 7410 DHC, but with four doors so he could easily get in the back seat and still be chauffeur driven. This car was commissioned by Melvin Gelman of the Gelman Construction Company who ordered it to be painted in 'Dockers Golden Beige Iridescent' with off-white hides and a dark green convertible top. Gelman's surviving records indicate he paid in excess of $40,000, likely making it one of, if not the most expensive Silver Cloud based automobile ever built. The current owner ordered a full restoration specifying velvet green lacquer with a tan top and hides. The car was originally equipped with air-conditioning, power windows and still has its full complement of tools. Service records and general running conditions support the current mileage showing on the odometer of just above 28,000 miles.
High bid of $500,000 at 2015 Keno Brothers. (did not sell) Most of the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III models were bodied as a saloon, however, those with the means could order bespoke coachwork through coachbuilder Mulliner Parks Ward. This particular car, is one such example, and one of only 27 left-hand-drive 'adaptations' constructed by the coachbuilder.
The original owner of this car was William M. Young of Wilmington, Delaware who had it sent to Mulliner Park Ward to receive Drophead Coupe 10018 (body design number 2007). Upon completion is was finished in Shell Grey with a black Connolly leather interior. It was equipped with Sundyn glass, power windows, power-operated top, power aerial, white sidewall tires, and a Lucas driver's side mirror. It was completed and shipped to J.S. Inskip Rolls-Royce in New York on May 24, 1963, aboard the Belgian car ferry, Mv Prinses Josephine Charlotte.
It was sold to its next caretaker in 1965, who retained it for approximately four decades. Its new owner, Michel Kruch of Belgium, treated the car to a re-freshening. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2016
The next major model change took place in 1955 wîth the introductions of the Silver Cloud. It was fitted wîth the current 4,887cc engine, but a totally new pressed-steel body was designed and the streamlined, elegant and perfectly balanced look of this car made it an instant success. Most cars were fitted wîth an automatic gearbox although a few were manual.
The rear brakes were combined hydraulic and mechanical wîth the usual Rolls-Royce gearbox-driven servo. Front suspension was by unequal length wishbones and coil springs wîth rear semi-elliptic electrically controlled dampers. A top speed of 106 mph was possible.
The press called the new Silver Cloud the 'finest car in the world' and said, 'There is little doubt that these find new cars will carry on the maker's tradition and reputation.' They were right: orders came from all around the world, wîth an unprecedented number from America, where it proved to be extremely popular in Hollywood.
The Silver Cloud II, launched in 1959, retained the same body as the Silver Cloud I, but was powered by a completely new V8 engine of 6,230cc. Coupled wîth automatic transmission as standard, the Silver Cloud II set new standards of refinement and performance. The 'Autocar' wrote: 'Only by adopting advanced production methods and thereby increasing yearly output can a superlative machine like this be made today at a price its clientele can afford. The Rolls-Royce is one of very few surviving top quality cars; the maintained standard of overall excellence is rewarded by full order books, and a world reputation which has never stood higher.'
In 1962, a lower bonnet line and twin headlamps were introduced and the Cloud III was born. Engine power was upped by 15% and the top speed rose to 117 mph. The compression ratio was increased and the 1-inch SÚ carburetors replaced by 2-inch units.
A 1963 road test stated: 'It is a pity that a connoisseur's car like the Rolls-Royce remains far beyond the dreams of the vast majority of the World's motorists, but good to know that cars of this quality can be built still and that there is a healthy market for them. They set a standard that is really appreciated best when one returns to driving lesser cars.'
The Silver Cloud range prompted the immortal line used in its advertising, 'At 60 miles an hour the loudest noise in this new Rolls-Royce comes from the electric clock.'Source - Rolls-Royce Motor Cars
The last of the Rolls-Royce separate-chassis cars from Crewe, the Silver Cloud was the main vehicle manufactured by Rolls-Royce from April 1955 until March 1966. The Silver Cloud replaced the Silver Dawn and was eventually replaced by the Silver Shadow. A major update from the pre-war models, the main design work was accomplished by J.P. Blatchley.
With a simple steel box section, the chassis was welded together and was very rigid while construction was still split into chassis and pressed steel and aluminum coachwork. It wasn't until the Silver Shadow that the uni-body construction arrived.
Weighing a total of 1.95 ton's, the Silver Cloud measured 5.38 m long and 1.90 m wide. Transmission was a four-speed automatic with an engine that was a 4.9 L six-cylinder unit. Suspension was independent coils at the front and semi-elliptic springs at the rear while the brakes were servo-assisted hydraulic drums.
In 1959 the Silver Cloud II was introduced with minor changes externally, but with the addition of a 6.2 L V8 engine with now pushed the vehicles weight to 2.11 tons. The top speed jumped to 183 km/h while the biggest improvements were showcased in acceleration and torque. Essentially the Silver Cloud with a different engine, the Rolls-Royce new 6.2-liter light-alloy V8 has been said to have been inspired by Cadillac's 1949 OHV unit.
Identical in everything but the nameplate, and of course, the Rolls-Royce radiator and mascot, the Silver Cloud II favored the companion Bentley S-Type Series II. 229 units of this model were long-wheelbase limo's with division window and handcrafted coachwork, though most of these vehicles had the ‘standard steel' sedan body. Though falling behind the rising standard of chassis refinement, the 1959-1962 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II was still the ‘Best Car in the World'.
In 1963 the Silver Cloud III was unveiled with slightly updated external tweaks and a remodeled interior. The weight of this newest model was reduced by almost 100 kg which resulted in boosted engine speed and slight performance. Very similar to the later Silver Shadow, the headlights were updated to a four-headlamp layout.
A total of 2,238 units of the Silver Cloud were produced during its production time.By Jessica Donaldson
The 21st Amelia Island Concours dElegance showcased over 250 vehicles which bravely ventured onto the show field under weather reports that threatened heavy downpours. In an effort to avoid the inevitable...