Concept Carz Home
 CoupesArrow PictureManufacturersArrow PicturePorscheArrow Picture356B (1948 - 1965)Arrow Picture1960 Porsche 356B 
Image Left 1959 356B 1600S Super1961 356B Image Right
 

1960 Porsche 356B news, pictures, specifications, and information

Coupe
Chassis Num: 110307
 
This 1960 Porsche 356B has chassis number 754428 and is powered by a four-cylinder engine that produces 90 horsepower. It was previously owned and driven by Eric Britzel. It has been in present ownership for the past five years and a regular on the East Coast Vintage circuit.
Roadster
Coachwork: Drauz
Chassis Num: 88221
Engine Num: 603331
 
Sold for $165,000 at 2011 Gooding & Company.
Sold for $149,515 (125,000) at 2012 Coys.
The 356 Roadster was introduced in tandem with the all-new 'B' series. It offered open air motoring while giving occupants a more refined and versatile overall package than the preceding Speedster and convertible D. This example, chassis number 88221, was completed on July 14th of 1960 and finished in Ruby Red with a brown leather interior. It was delivered to the official San Francisco area distributor, Porsche car Pacific. It was purchased in the United States by a German couple and retained the car for three decades.

This 356 B Roadster is powered by a 1582cc air-cooled Boxer four-cylinder engine fitted with twin Zenith carburetors. The 60 horsepower produced is sent to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual gearbox. There are four-wheel drum brakes and an independent suspension in both the front and the rear. There are several notable accessories including a Leitz luggage rack, camber compensator spring, headlamp stone guards, Hella fog lamps, tonneau cover, owner's manual and a tool kit. Inside, there are reclining seats, an in-dash clock and a wood-rimmed VDM steering wheel with the deluxe horn ring.

In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. The car was estimated to sell for $130,000 - $160,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $165,000 including buyer's premium.

By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2011
Cabriolet
Chassis Num: 87779
 
First came the popular 356A Speedster, then the Convertible D in 1958 to be replaced by the Roadster a year later in 1959. Within a year of so demand for open top 356s was slowing fast and that early love affair with 'wind in the hair' was virtually non-existent at the launch of the 911 in 1965.

This example was restored over a two year period starting in 2007.
Roadster
Coachwork: Drauz
Chassis Num: 87 288
 
Sold for $191,800 at 2008 Bonhams.
Sold for $242,000 at 2012 RM Auctions.
Development and production of the Model 356 was overseen by Dr.Ferdinand Porsche and his son 'Ferry' in the late 1940s. The coachwork was designed by Austrian engineer Erwin Komenda. When the Porsche 356 entered production, it would remain there for 18 years with total production nearing 80,000 cars.

Porsche introduced Erwin Komenda's new T5 body style in 1960. Along with the styling changes came a name change to '356B.' German coachbuilder Drauz Karosserieswerke built both the Convertible (Drauz) and 356B bodies. The T5 models had a flatter hood and larger, higher bumpers. The 'Roadster' coachwork served as a replacement for the Convertible D and just 2,563 examples were produced durign its production run. The T5 was later replaced by the T6 in 1962, and was produced briefly by Belgian coachbuilders D'Ieteren Frères S.A.

There were a total of 2,653 Drauz Roadsters produced between 1960 and 1962.

This Porsche 356B 1600 T5 Super 90 Roadster is one of just 560 produced in 1959 and is one of the first of the 1960 production model year. It was delivered to Porsche distributor Max Hoffman in New York on December 22nd. A customer from Riverside, California became the car's first owner. It retains its original Californian black plates, has had three owners since new, and has just 74,000 original miles. Options on this car include the higher compression 1600 Super engine, rare factory Rudge knock-off wheels, roadster seats, in-dash cigar lighter, deluxe horn, original books, keys and factory tool kit. The car has been given a nut-and-bolt restoration, is a matching numbers example, and finished in its original color combination of ivory (Elfenbeing) over red (Rot).

In 2012, this vehicle was offered for sale at the Amelia Island sale presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $175,000 - $225,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for $242,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.

By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2012
Roadster
Coachwork: Drauz
Chassis Num: 87383
Engine Num: 800105
 
Sold for $148,500 at 2012 Gooding & Company.
Competition Motors in Hollywood delivered this Roadster to its original owner, James K. Skeoch of Los Angeles in Spring of 1960. The car's most recent owner has given the car to a concours restoration, which specified numerous upgrades to enhance the performance for everyday driving. In 2008, it received a new top, plus several other minor enhancements. The original engine was replaced with an early Super 90 engine. It was also upgraded with four-wheel disc brakes, a sport exhaust system, a 12-volt electrical system, a hidden Alpine stereo and Hella fog lights.

Originally light ivory with a red interior, this Porsche Roadster has been finished in correct metallic silver exterior with a midnight blue roof and interior.

The 1582cc overhead valve air-cooled flat four-cylinder engine has dual twin-barrel Solex carburetors and delivers 110 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel disc brakes.

In 2012, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Amelia Island, Florida. It was estimated to sell for $135,000 - $160,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for $148,500 inclusive of buyer's premium.

By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2012
Roadster
Coachwork: Drauz
Chassis Num: 88658
 
The B-series was built from 1959 through 1963 by coachbuilder Anciens Etablissement d'Iteren Frers SA of Brussels, Belgium, also the Porsche importer for the country. The Roadster was a development of the Convertible D and Speedster with both a larger windshield and rear screen. Like the Speedster its top was unlined but gave more headroom. It did have a cigarette lighter. Roadsters were available with 60 or 75 horsepower motors. Some 1,529 Roadsters were made in 1960, the largest yearly production by far. Open 356s have a charm and style that is all of their own.
Roadster
Coachwork: Drauz
Chassis Num: 88348
Engine Num: 87182
Gearbox Num: 393354
 
High bid of $145,000 at 2013 RM Auctions. (did not sell)
High bid of $130,000 at 2014 Mecum. (did not sell)
This Porsche 356B 1600 Super Roadster by Drauz is described as a two-owner automobile that left the factory on August 8th of 1960. It was originally sold in the United States. The car is powered by the 75 horsepower 1600 Super engine and came loaded with a list of factory options including chrome steel wheels, a Becker 'Europa' AM-FM radio with antenna and dual speakers, a luggage rack, an outside mirror, reclining seats with headrests, seat belts, a dimmable rearview mirror, an anti-theft device (locking gearshift lever), Dunlop tires, and even cocoa-type floor mats.

The car has been fully restored and retain its original floors, longitudinal panels, and battery box.

The car was originally delivered in 6002 Ruby Red with a black leatherette interior and black convertible top. The car has been refinished in metallic silver with a full leather upholstery. There is also correct square weave carpets and correct black rubber floor mats.

The car has its original numbers-matching 1600 Super engine upgraded with a higher-performance ignition system. There is a Type 741 four-speed transmission and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes.

By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2014
During the war Ferdinand 'Ferry' Porsche and a handful of his proven, faithful employees had started work on development number 356 in their workshops moved to the town of Gmünd in Kärnten. The first design drawings were completed on 17 July 1947 and on 8 June 1948 the Kärnten state government issued a special permit homologating the car. Returning home after being held by the French as a prisoner of war and bailed out of custody by his family, Professor Dr.-Ing.h.c.Ferdinand Porsche, Ferry's father, stated right away that 'every single bolt was just right'. No 1 was then followed by a small series of 52 additional cars built in Gmünd, production in Stuttgart from 1950 - 1965 subsequently amounting to 78,000 units of the 356 model Porsche No 1, a mid-engined roadster, is completed and homologated in the Austrian town of Gmünd. The engine displaces 1131 cc and develops maximum output of 35 bhp(26 kW). The first few 356 coupes are made of light alloy.
The Porsche 1500 S ('Super') was launched in 1952 and was capable of producing 70 bhp.

In 1953, the Porsceh 1300 S producing 60 horsepower was added to the Porsche line-up. This was also the year the Porsche was introduced to the Únited States. The split windshields are also replaced by bent windshields during this year.

1954 marked the production of the first 200 Porsche Speedsters.

In 1955, the Speedster becomes a genuine sales success. Production of the 356 A series starts in autumn wîth the proven 1300 and 1300 S power units soon joined by the 1600(1582 cc, 60 bhp/44 kW), 1600 S (1582 cc, 75 bhp/55 kW) and 1500 GS -the first Carrera marking the introduction of the new sports engine wîth four overhead camshafts - (1498 cc, 100 bhp/74 kW). The 1100-ccengines are dropped from the range.

During the 1956 model year, Porsche produces its 10,000th 356 model.

In 1957, the sporting and Spartan Porsche 1500 GS Carrera is joined by the more comfortable 1500GS de Luxe model.

In 1958, output of the Porsche 356 A 1500 GS Carrera GT is boosted to 110 bhp/81 kW. The Speedster is replaced by the Convertible D wîth a larger windscreen and winding windows at the side. The 1300-cc engines are dropped from the range.

In 1959, the Carrera receives extra power and is now called the 1600 GS-GT, wîth the sports version offering more output (1588 cc, 115 bhp/85 kW) than the de Luxe model (105 bhp/77 kW). The 356 B series is introduced in autumn, the Convertible D being renamed the Roadster.

Source - Porsche
The Porsche 365C has been named the number ten on the list of Top Sports Cars of the 1960s by Sports Car International in 2004. The Porsche 356 is still widely regarded as a collector car that has capably stood the test of time.

There is some debate over which vehicle was the first official Porsche, the pre-war Porsche 64 being actually a VW racing automobile. The 356 was a sports car designed by Porsche that sold from 1948 through 1964 and was Porsche's first production automobile. A prototype for the 356, the 'Number 1' had a mid-engine. The name for the 356 was chosen as it was the 356th project off the Porsche design desk. In 1949, production officially began in Stuttgart, Germany.

Designed and fabricated by Ferdinand 'Ferry' Porsche (the son of well-known Dr. Ing Ferdinand Porsche, founder of Porsche motors), the Project # 356 concept was then styled by Irwin Komenda. Bailed out of custody by his family, Professor Dr.-Ing.h.c.Ferdinand Porsche was a held as a prisoner of war by the French. During the war, Ferry Porsche and a small handful of his faithful employees began work on the 356 in their workshops moved to the town of Gmünd in Kärnten. On Dr. Porsche's return to his family, he stated right away that 'every single bolt was just right'.

On July 17th, 1947, the first design drawings were completed, and it was an entire year later when the Kärnten state government issued a special permit homologating the car on June 8th, 1948.

Komenda, born in 1904 in Austria, was also responsible for contributing substantially to the construction of the Volkswagen, Cistalia, Auto Union racers, and other vehicles of the day. Joining Porsche's design bureau in 1931, Komenda held various positions at Steyr, Daimler-Benz and other coach shops in both Austria and Germany. He is responsible for contributing to a variety of other designs in Porsche's history, and was the chief engineer and head of Porsche's coachwork from 1955 until he died in 1966. The 'confidential clerk' for Porsche, Karl Peter-Rabe became the chief business manager, after Dr. Ing Albert Prizing, until 1965. Prizing was a business manager who is famous for bringing 37 orders back to the factory following one importer's conference in Wolfsberg in 1950.

The prototype was taken various times by Ferry, often with just the rolling chassis without body, up the steep mountain roads surrounding the city to test its agile handling and durability. Ferdinand Porsche went on to live a long life, and died on March 27th, at the age of 88. Contributing to the handling of the prototype was the gearbox and suspension specialist Karl Frolich.

Evolving through several updates through the years, the 365 was originally available as a coupe, a cabriolet and finally a roadster. The vehicle changed from mid-engine to rear, along with a myriad of details that evolved over the 22 year run of the model, though the recognizable shape of the vehicle remained the same, a timeless classic. The most desirable versions were the Porsche 356 Carrera, which came with a special racing engine, and the 'Super 90' and 'Speedster' models. The same price as a Cadillac at the time, the price of a late 1950's Porsche was nearly $4,000. Today, a 356 Carrera model can sell for well over $150,000.

The very first Porsche sport car was hand built in Gmünd/Kärnten, Austria. The entire aluminum body was hand beaten over a wooden buck. Without the benefits of a machine shop, all of the engine and drive-train components were made completely. Over 50 Gmünd cars were built and sold primarily in Austria and Germany. To be closer to parts suppliers, the Porsche Firm, located to Zuffenhausen, Austria, near the Reutter coachworks following the war. The only Porsche to ever have the engine mounted in front of the rear axle, the 356/1 was open top 2-seater. Designed with a tubular chassis, the vehicle was air-cooled and came with a 110 cc engine that remarkably light and quick for the times. Following this first ever radical design, every Porsche 356 to follow was constructed with the engine in the rear, behind the axle.
The Reutter Company, located in Stuttgart Germany, was given the assignment in late 1949 to construct 500 body works for an adjusted model of the 356 unit. This classic 356 was capable of reaching a speed of 140 kph. Under the belief that selling more than 500 units was an impossible feat, it was a pleasant surprise on March 15, 1954, car no. 5,000 left the factory.

Over the years, the 356 was updated with various mechanical refinements, though the basic shape was retained and remained instantly recognizable from year to year. The final 356B Roadster was built in early 1963, while both Coupe and Cabriolet models continued to be built every year up until 1965.

With a top speed of over 85 mph (135kph), a total of only 4 models of the 356 were produced in 1948. The 356/1 came with a 1.1 liter engine that was capable of making 40 horsepower. Less than 60 units were produced during 1949 and the earlier part of 1950. These very rare and unique models are known today as the Gmünd Coupes. The tiny sport cars continued to be built during 1950, but now at a factory in Stuttgart where Porsche moved production. A total of 298 units were built and delivered to their owners by the end of 1950.

One year later, three engines, all of them were flat-4's 'boxers' that were air cooled and were available from the factory. They were available at the 1,100cc, the 1,300cc, and the 1,500cc. The 1500 Super was the top power-plant during late 1952, which came with a synchromesh transmission. That same year the America Roadster was designed and created. Only a total of sixteen models were produced, and all units were an aluminum cabriolet body that came with a removable windshield. In 1992, this vehicle inspired the 40th Anniversary 1992 911 America Roadster.

Under the advice of Max Hoffman, the sole importer of Porsches into the U.S., the 356 'Speedster' was introduced in late 1954. The idea was to produce a lower cost vehicle that was a racier version that would appeal to the American market. Proving to be an instantaneous hit, the Speedster came with a low, raked windshield that was easily removed, bucket seats, and a minimal folding top. In 1954, the Speedster was available for $2,995. This unit was available in a variety of six different engine types, the 1100, 1300, 1300A, 1300S, 1500 and 1500S. The 1500Super was the top of the line model, while the Coupe and Cabriolet wore the 'Continental' badge designation. In 1955 the 1600 motor went into production.

In 1956, the 356A was unveiled to the world, and had an all steel body, curved windshield and smaller wheels. When the cars were introduced, numerous subtle differences in the shape of the body and features were highlighted. In 1956 the 10,000th 356 unit rolled off the assembly line. The 356 Carrera was introduced at the same time, which came with a 1500GS engine. Before being replaced in 1959 by the Convertible D model, the Speedster peaked at a total of 1,171 units produced. In this same year, the 1300 engine was dropped from the line. A new project was the result from continued improvements to the 356A, the Type 2 or 'T-2', now with a new transmission, the 644 replaced the earlier 519 with an improved shifter, better synchros, dual nose mounts and a split case design. A higher horsepower is achieved in 1958 as continuous improvements were made in the Carrera engines.

The D model featured more comfortable seating, along with a more practical windshield, and glass side windows. In an attempt to boost sinking sales, around 1300 of these models were produced. While previous models were developed by Reutter coachbuilders, the Convertible D model was developed by Drauz, which is what the ‘D' stands for. The D model falls somewhere between a Speedster and a Cabriolet in both luxury and lightweight appointments. In the later months of 1959, the Convertible D became a roadster with the new T-5 body style. Today to the convertible D is considered very desirable, due to the low number of units produced.

In 1960 the 356B offered the S90, or 'Super 90' motor as an available option. The vehicle also had a counterweighted crank, sodium-filled valves and Solex P40-II carburetors. The Karmann Coachworks were employed in 1961 to produce the 'Hardtop', a Cabriolet body with a fixed hard roof. The nickname 'Notchback' was affixed to these cars because of their profile. Nearly 1750 of these vehicles were produced during the two years of its production.

It was one year later when the 356B was introduced, updated with an entirely new body and Super 90 engine. In 1962 and 1963, the engine was once again revised, and changed body styles. A very small number of 356B 4-seater coupes were produced by a Swiss company. Though rare, several models are still around today. Next was the introduction of the Carrera 2 in April of 1962, and only around 450 models were produced in both Coupe and Cabriolet form. In the same year, Karmann produced 2170 coupes, and Reutter produced 4100. The production for the year topped 7900 when the almost 1600 Cabriolets are added into the count. The discussion is broached by Porsche with Reutter to purchase the coachmaker, and finally, after 12-years of co-operation, the successes are consolidated. 'Christophorus', a customer magazine filled with news and background on the Porsche lifestyle is launched by the Porsche factory.

Finally the 356C, the final model, known also as the Type 6 (T-6), was available in 1964 with an engine that came from the same lines as previous Spyder engines, the most powerful pushrod engine Porsche every produced, was cable of producing 130 horsepower. Offering the 1600C, 1600SC and Carrerra 2 engines, the 356C featured 4-wheel disc brakes. Both the C and SC were available for purchase in either Coupe or Cabriolet form.

In 1964, a total of 14,151 356 units were produced. Porsche had achieved a production rate higher in that year alone than the entire line production of the first 10 years of the Porsche 356. The 911 was introduced at this time, presaging the end of the 356 run. Through the end of 1965, the company continued to sell the 365C in North America as a lower-cost vehicle.

Achieving a victory in the 1100cc class during its first outing, the original 356-001 vehicle was raced at the Innsbruck city race. In Austria, on the 8th of June 1948, the Porsche was homologated by the state government of Kärnten. Frequently touring the world for special car shows and historic events, the original Porsche '001' vehicle is in the Factory Museum.

Near the end of 1965, more than 76,000 Porsche 356 models were produced and sold. Following 17 years of production, the model 912 eventually took over the 356's stance in the market. The push-rod engine from the 356 was reused to power the 'entry level' 912 model that was produced from 1965 to 1969.

The Porsche '901' was introduced at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1963. Later after a protest by Peugeot, the name was changed to '911'. In 1964 the Porsche 911 began production.

By Jessica Donaldson
For more information and related vehicles, click here

PORSCHE'S 914 HONORED AT 20TH AMELIA CONCOURS d'ELEGANCE
The 20th annual Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance will honor the first mid-engine production Porsche, the 914 in all its variants. At first some Porsche purists lamented the Porsche 914's seemingly humble origins. They whispered the 'V-Word' . . . Volkswagen. The reality was that the 914 is a blood descendant of the seminal Gmund Porsche, the first car to wear the family name and the crest, a pure sports car designed around a Volkswagen-sourced air-cooled flat-four and a mid-engine con...[Read more...]
NATALIE WOOD'S 300 SL ROADSTER JOINS STUNNING LIST OF ENTRIES FOR RM'S AMELIA ISLAND SALE
• RM Auctions announces additional highlights for its 16th annual Amelia Island sale, held March 8th at the Ritz-Carlton • Recent entries are led by a 1957 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster that was originally owned by Hollywood actress Natalie Wood • As the official auction house of the world-renowned Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, RM's single-day sale will feature a roster of more than 80 handpicked automobiles • A frequently updated list of consignments is available online at www.rmauction...[Read more...]
2014 Honda Odyssey Arrives At Dealers July 2 Delivering More Value To Customers With Refreshed Styling
06/25/2013 - TORRANCE, Calif. The 2014 Honda Odyssey minivan arrives at Honda dealerships nationwide on July 2, refreshed with a host of powertrain, styling, interior, feature and safety upgrades, all designed to meet the needs of today's family. Key changes to the 2014 Odyssey minivan include the addition of a standard 6-speed automatic transmission on all trims resulting in class-leading fuel-economy ratings, enhanced safety equipment, cleaner front and rear exterior styling, plus revis...[Read more...]
Lost Mercedes - Surfaces At Bonhams
One owner, unrestored, supercharged 'S' Type Mercedes to be sold by Bonhams at Goodwood Revival this autumn One of the greatest and most important motor car finds of the last decade, the 'Lost Mercedes' is to be offered at Bonhams Goodwood Revival sale on Saturday 15th September 2012. Bonhams announced today that it has been commissioned to sell a recently discovered 1928 Mercedes-Benz 26/120/180 'S' Type Sports Tourer which almost without precedent for motor cars of this type and d...[Read more...]
GOODING & COMPANY ANNOUNCES ITS FIRST-EVER AMELIA ISLAND AUCTION
 Concours-Winning ‘Best of Show' 1931 Voisin Demi-Berline Headlines the Sale on Friday, March 12, 2010 Gooding & Company, the internationally-recognized auction house, is thrilled to announce that it will be hosting its first-ever auction at Amelia Island, Florida. Already starring a number of exceptional consignments including the Best of Show-winning 1931 Voisin C20 'Mylord' Demi-Berline, Gooding & Company's one-day auction will take place on Friday, March 12, 2010 at 4 p.m. on the g...[Read more...]

Arrow Right 1960 Porsche models
Porsche 356 Carrera GT
Porsche 356 GS/GT
Porsche 356B Super 90
Porsche 718/2
Porsche 718/RS60

Collectible: A Gathering of the Exceptional and Captivating
Similar Automakers
Aston MartinBentley
BugattiDevon
FerrariGTA
KoenigseggLamborghini
LotusMaserati
MaybachMcLaren
Rolls-RoyceSpyker
Tesla
Similarly Sized Vehicles from 1960
Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint
Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Speciale
Aston Martin DB2/4 MKIII
Aston Martin DB4
Aston Martin DB4 GT
Ferrari 250 GTE
MG A
Porsche 356 Carrera GT
Porsche 356 Carrera GTL
Porsche 356 GS/GT

Similarly Priced Vehicles from 1960
Chevrolet Corvette C1 ($3,900-$3,900)
Buick Electra ($3,816-$4,300)
Daimler SP 250 ($3,905-$3,905)
Jaguar MK II ($4,560-$4,760)
Mercedes-Benz 300 SL ($10,955-$11,130)
Lincoln Continental Mark V ($6,595-$10,235)

Average Auction Sale: $113,211

 
Porsche: 1950-1960
Similar Automakers
Porsche History
Other models by Porsche
Manufacturer Website

Porsche
Monthly Sales FiguresVolume
September 20143,607 
August 20144,540 
July 20144,300 
June 20144,102 
May 20144,609 
April 20144,072 
March 20143,808 
February 20143,232 
January 20143,096 
December 20133,246 
November 20133,966 
October 20133,562 
(More Details)

 
356
550/718 Sports Racing Cars
597
904
906
907
908
911
912
914
917
918 Spyder
924
928
934/935
936
944
956 and 962
968
Boxster
Carrera GT
Cayenne
Cayman
GT3
Macan
Panamera
Type 959

Image Left 1959 356B 1600S Super1961 356B Image Right
© 1998-2014. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.