Concept Carz Home Concepts and PrototypesAbout Follow ConceptCarz on Facebook Follow ConceptCarz on Twitter RSS News Feed
 
 CoupesArrow PictureManufacturersArrow PictureFerrariArrow Picture365 Daytona (1968 - 1974)Arrow Picture1971 Ferrari 365 Daytona 
Image Left 1970 365 GTB/41972 365 GTB/4 Image Right1972 365 GTB/4 Shooting Brake Image Right
 

1971 Ferrari 365 Daytona news, pictures, specifications, and information

GTS/4 Spyder
Chassis Num: 14085
 
Sold for $181,500 at 2006 RM Auctions.
The Pininfarina designed Ferrari 365 GTB/4 was first debuted to the public at the 1968 Paris Auto Salon and served as a successor to the 275 GTB/4. It was given the nickname 'Daytona' after Ferrari's one-two-three victory at the 1967 Daytona 24 Hour race.

The Ferrari 365 GTB/4 first reached the United States in 1970. Some minor improvements were needed in order to satisfy US regulations and safety concerns. The US versions had retractable headlights under two panels. The wheel nuts were hexagonal-type whereas the European versions had three-eared knock-off wheel nuts.

Under the hood was a powerful 4.4-liter V23 with four overhead cams and six 40DCN20 Weber carburetors. Horsepower was in the neighborhood of 350 which meant the car could race from zero-to-sixty in under six seconds with top speed reaching 174 mph.

This 1971 Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona finished in Rosso Corsa and Borrani wire wheels was offered for sale at the 2006 RM Auction in Monterey, CA where it was estimated to sell between $175,000-$225,000. It was offered without reserve. It has traveled less than 38,000 miles since new. On auction day, the vehicle was sold, selling for $181,500.

By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2014
GTS/4 Spyder
Chassis Num: 14169
Engine Num: 251
 
Sold for $341,000 at 2006 Gooding & Company.
This 1971 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona was first owned by Bill Harrah. Harrah had ordered a 365 Berlinetta Boxer but was unhappy with the vehicle due to its limited cargo capacity and apparent handling issues. To keep one of their good customers happy, the Ferrari sent him a 365 GTB/5 Coupe that had been built to European specifications. A few changes were required to send it to the United States, such as adapting appropriate side and taillights, and appropriate smog equipment. It was finished in metallic copper-orange; the official name was Rame Mettalizzato.

The car had 36 mm European-spec headers and exhaust system which was better suited for performance than the US versions. It is believed to have been delivered from the factory with the full Euro A-Spec motor with P6 cams and a cold-air box for the six Weber carburetors.

The car remained in his possession until 1976 when ownership passed to John Robertson. During the 1990s the car was treated to a complete restoration with many of the components being rebuilt. The interior was sent back to Italy where it was fitted with new tobacco and black pattern upholstery. Since this very extensive overhaul was performed, the car has traveled less than 2000 miles. The car offered for sale at the 2006 Gooding & Company Auction in Pebble Beach, Ca. The car has had only two titled owners since new and is believed to be one of the fastest 365 GTB/4 Daytona Coupes residing in the US. It has Campagnolo Competition Wheels and Spineners, flared fenders, and a five speed manual gearbox. The engine is a twelve cylinder unit with dual-overhead camshafts and six-Weber Dual-Choke carburetors.

At auction, the car was estimated to sell between $275,000-$350,000. That estimate proved to be very accurate as the cars third owner got the car for $341,000.

By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2014
GTS/4 Spyder
Chassis Num: 13865
 
Sold for $198,000 at 2007 RM Auctions.
Sold for $264,000 at 2008 RM Auctions.
Sold for $375,650 (250,000) at 2009 Coys.
The Ferrari Daytona was the last two-seater V12 Ferrari to have its power plant mounted in the front. This configuration would not re-appear wear a prancing horse badge for another quarter of a century. The 3600 pound vehicle was powered by a 4.4-liter engine that produced over 350 horsepower. Zero to sixty was accomplished in just under 6 seconds. The quarter mile was accomplished in 13.8 seconds and top speed was achieved at 174 mph. The Daytona was the world's fastest production automobile at the time of its introduction.

There were over 1400 Daytona's created, but only a few were Spyders. This example was offered for sale at the 2007 RM Auction held in Amelia Island, Florida where it was estimated to sell between $200,000 - $250,000. It is powered by a 4380cc V12 engine and capable of producing 352 horsepower. There is a five-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel disc brakes. The odometer reads just under 32,000 km.

This car has been in the possession of its current owner for 20 years. The prior owner had the car converted into a spyder, and it is believed that Scaglietti had done the conversion.

The red Ferrari with black interior and original Borrani wire wheels did find a new owner at the RM Auctions, selling for $198,000.

By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2007
Coupe
Chassis Num: 14719
Engine Num: 251
 
The Daytona, as it was unofficially called in celebration of Ferrari's triple 24 Hours of Daytona success in 1967, was built from 1968 through 1973. The 405 horsepower V12 was capable of 173 miles per hour. In the Owner's family since new, this Daytona was delivered in February 1971 from USA Ferrari Importer, N.A.R.T. Team Owner, and friend Luigi Chinetti. The owner's inspiration for the purchase was North American Racing Team (NART) competing at the Daytona 24 hour race in 1970. While initially used as a daily driver, the mileage is current 44,000; and the Daytona remains largely unrestored, including its factory 'Orange' color paint that was very much typical and 'in fashion' for 1971.
Coupe
Chassis Num: 14265
 
This car has been awarded a platinum trophy at the Ferrari Club of America's concours event at the Cavallino Classic with a score of 97.5. A complete mechanical and cosmetic restoration was performed on the car in the early 1990s. The car is always driven to event and has 125,000 kilometers on its odometer. A two-seat coupe, the 330 GTC is considered by many, including the late Phil Hill, to be one of Ferrari's best all-around road cars of the period. Larger than the 275, its contemporary, it was no less aggressive when it needed to be but certainly smoother the rest of the time. It has a 4-liter This restored 365 GTB/4 Daytona is serial number 14265 and placed second in class at the Los Angeles Concours in 2008. The Daytona was revealed at the 1968 Paris Auto Salon and served as a successor to the 275 GTB/4. The car did not rear the U.S. officially until 1970, and retractable headlights and non-knockoff wheel nuts were required for it to pass safety regulations. A four-overhead-cam 4.4-liter, V12 with six 40DCN20 downdraught Webers meant a horsepower rating of 350 under the hood. Almost 1400 of this model were built before the end of production in 1974. engine.
Coupe
Chassis Num: 14819
 
Sold for $291,500 at 2010 Gooding & Company.
Sold for $407,000 at 2013 RM Auctions.
This 1971 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona currently has 24,282 miles. It has a toolkit, books and a variety of documentation. The car is painted in Fly Yellow and has a black leather interior.

In 2010, this car was offered for sale at Gooding & Company's Scottsdale Auction in Arizona. It was estimated to sell for $275,000 - $350,000. The lot was sold for the sum of $291,500, inclusive of buyer's premium.

By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2010
Coupe
 
This Daytona was loaned to Brock Yates and Dan Gurney by car dealer Kirk F. White for the inaugural Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash, or 'Cannonball Run' as it was to be known.

On November 15th of 1971, eight teams gathered at the Red Ball Garage in Manhattan. As the midnight starting time approached, Yates and Gurney stocked up on provisions: Swiss cheese, Hershey bars, Gatorade and vitamin C.

Gurney drove the first 18 hours through horrible weather at one point verifying the Daytona's top speed at an indicated 172 mph. They arrived at the Portofino Inn in Redondo Beach, California, on November 17th of 1971, just 35 hours and 54 minutes after leaving the Red Ball Garage 2,876 miles ago. With stops, average speed was 80.8 mph.

By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2011
Coupe
 
Beginning in 1947, Enzo Ferrari began building road cars under the Ferrari name. The first car was the 125 Sport, which was powered by a 1.5 liter V12. This was the beginning of a long history of Ferrari's preferential use of the V-12 engine in both his road and race cars. The 1949 166 Inter followed and was the first of the Grand Touring cars built. This evolved into the 195 Inter and the 212 inter as the engine and chassis were refined and improved. First developed for the track, the Colombo designed 250 was adapted to road cars and used extensively until the mid-sixties when the 275 was introduced. Built in both two cam and four cam versions, the engine was used until 1968. The 365 GTB/4 came next powering the Ferrari GT cars until 1973.

Pininfarina had long been the coachbuilder of choice for Ferrari. They produced many stunning designs during their career. The Daytona was introduced at the 1968 Paris Auto show. The new 365 GTB/4 was radically different from previous Pininfarina design as its sharp-edged styling resembled a Lamborghini more than a traditional Pininfarina Ferrari.

The Daytona is a traditional front engine, rear drive supercar. This car is a two owner car. The interior was restored in 2007 and the exterior repainted in 2010.
The 365 Series were introduced in the late 1960's and stayed in production until the early 1970's. The 365's were often powered by a Columbo SOHC 4390 cc V-12 engine with three Weber carburetors capable of producing around 300 horsepower. The front and rear suspension for most of the series was independent with double wishbones and coil springs. The 365 GT4 2+2 had an independent with transverse parallelograms and coil springs suspension. The 365 California had a live axle with coil springs rear suspension. The chassis was an oval tube ladder type frame layout.

Disc brakes were standard on all the vehicles, as was the five-speed manual gearbox. Many of the series received standard options such as power steering and air conditioning, uncommon at the time. When most manufacturers such as Lamborghini and DeTomaso were creating vehicles with mid-engined design, Ferrari continued to use their tried-and-true front-engined, rear wheel design.

In 1967 Ferrari dominated the Daytona 24 Hours race with a first, second, and third place finish. At the 1968 Paris Auto Show the public and press were expecting Ferrari's new berlinetta to be dubbed 'Daytona'. They were proven wrong when Ferrari dubbed the vehicle the 365 GTB/4, however, the name Daytona is a common reference to the vehicle even to this day. Ferrari had intended on using 'Daytona' but it was revealed prematurely so the traditional Ferrari naming sequence was used.

During its production lifespan lasting from 1968 through 1974, 1383 examples of the Pinifarina designed 365 GTB/4 Daytona vehicles were created.

The famous coachbuilder Pininfarina was tasked with creating many of the designs for the 365 Series. The designs were not new, rather they borrowed many of the styling cues of the prior 330 GTC and 275 GTS models. The headlights were courtesy of the 500 Superfast. The result was a visually stunning automobile with proven Ferrari mechanics and performance.

GT represented Gran Turismo. GTB represented Berlinetta or coupe. GTS stood for open models which were either a targa roof or a full convertible. '4' represented four-cam engines. 'C' represented 'Competizione' or 'Corsa' meaning 'to race'.

365 California
In 1966 Ferrari introduced the 365 California at the Geneva Auto Show as a replacement for the Ferrari 500 Superfast. The famous coachbuilder, Pininfarina, had been tasked with creating the body for the vehicle. The result was a two door, two-seat, convertible. The 365 borrowed many of the mechanics of its predecessor including the five-speed manual gearbox, chassis, and suspension. The front of vehicle was similar in design to the 500 with the remaining portions all new. With a top speed of 240 km/h, it was the fastest convertible in the world at the time. Disc brakes provided excellent stopping power for the 1300 kg vehicle. Production continued for only a year with a total of fourteen examples being created.

365 GT2+2
In 1967 Ferrari introduced the 365 GT2+2, only its second production four-seater vehicle. The vehicle would stay in production until 1971 during which around 800 examples being created.

The rear passengers had limited headroom but there was sufficient legroom for most passengers. The purpose of the vehicle was to provided performance and comfort. As a result the vehicle was outfitted with electric windows, leather interior, power assisted brakes, full carpeting, and optional air conditioning.

365 GTC
Near the close of 1968, Ferrari introduced the 365 GTC which stayed in production until 1970. During the production lifespan, 168 examples were produced. The 365 GTC was basically a 330 GTC with a SOHC 4390 cc V-12 engine. Visually, the vehicle was very similar to its predecessor except for the air vents in the front wings had been removed. In their place were black vents placed in the back corners of the hood.

365 GTS
The 365 GTS was a replacement for the 330 GTS. It featured a 4390 cc SOHC engine and had its cooling vents removed in favor of vents in the hood. Only twenty examples were created.

365 GTC/4
In 1971 Ferrari introduced the 365 GTC/4 as a replacement for the 365 GT 2+2. It sat atop a Daytona chassis and given an independent suspension. The same Daytona ventilated disc brakes were used. The gearbox was mounted in the front and the engine was the 4390 cc V12 but with six sidedraught Weber carburetors and wet sump lubrication resulting in 340 horsepower.

The design was once again handled by Pininfarina. The two-door, 2+2 coupe had pop-up headlights and five-spoke alloy wheels. During its production lifespan lasting until 1972, around 500 examples were produced. Strict American safety and emission regulations were partly responsible for the demise of the GTC/4.

365 GT4 2+2
The 365 GT4 2+2 was debuted to the public at the 1972 Paris Auto Show as a replacement for the 365 GT 2+2 and the 365 GTC/4. It sat atop an enlarged 365 GTC/4 chassis and given the same mechanics. The larger chassis meant more interior room for the passengers, especially the rear passengers, and their luggage. The styling was once again assigned to Pininfarina. The design was different from the prior 365 models.

During its production lifespan lasting until 1976, around 470 examples were created.

365 GT4 BB
The 365 GT4 BB, meaning Berlinetta Boxer, was introduced to the public at the 1971 Turin Auto Show. Its styling was similar to the P6 show car built in 1968. The engine was a flat-12 cylinder power-plant mounted longitudinal. The gearbox was mounted under the engine. This was a great design but ultimately created an unbalanced weight distribution with most of the weight over the rear axle. The weight distribution problem and the fact that the engine was mounted high in the vehicle resulted in a car that had poor handling and never achieved successful racing status.

The 365 GT4 BB was replaced by the 512 BB in 1976. The 512 BB was similar in design but featured a five-liter engine.

By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2006
For more information and related vehicles, click here

Postwar Ferrari Named Best of Show at 2014 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance
 1954 Ferrari 375 MM Scaglietti Coupe Named 'Best of Show' PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 17, 2014) -- Excited cheers echoed across the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links Sunday when a 1954 Ferrari 375 MM Scaglietti Coupe was named Best of Show at the 64th annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. The car, owned by Jon Shirley of Medina, Washington, was the first postwar car to take the top award at the prestigious event in nearly five decades. It was also the first Ferrari to win. ...[Read more...]
REVERED FERRARI 250 LM LEADS SUPERLATIVE ROSTER OF ITALIAN SPORTS CARS AT RM'S FLAGSHIP MONTEREY SALE
· RM Auctions announces a legendary 1964 Ferrari 250 LM by Scaglietti as the latest multi-million-dollar highlight for its flagship Monterey sale, August 15–16 in California · 250 LM leads a superb roster of no less than 26 Ferraris at RM's two-day sale; additional new entries include a 1953 250 Europa and a 1963 400 SA LWB Coupe Aerodinamico Series II · RM joins in Maserati's 100th anniversary celebrations, presenting no less than four examples from the luxury Italian ma...[Read more...]
RRDC VOTES IN 37 NEW MEMBERS FOR 2013
 HILLIARD, Ohio (Nov. 7, 2013) - Thirty-seven race-car drivers and motorsports professionals have been voted into the Road Racing Drivers Club in 2013. The group includes 13 Regular Members from the open-wheel and sports-car racing ranks, 20 Associate Members and four Honorary Members. The current roster of RRDC members now numbers 440. Voting was held among all current RRDC members. 'This year's crop of new Regular Members truly represents the spirit of the RRDC, as each driver has de...[Read more...]
63rd Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Names 1934 Packard 'Best of Show'
The competition showcased 248 cars, including 48 from abroad PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 18, 2013) -- A 1934 Packard 1108 Twelve Dietrich Convertible Victoria owned by Joseph and Margie Cassini III of West Orange, New Jersey, was named Best of Show at the 63rd Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, held Sunday on the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links at Pebble Beach Resorts. The event showcased 248 cars from 36 states and 12 countries and raised $1,277,007 for charity. 'This Pack...[Read more...]
Italian Racing Classics Lead Gooding & Company's 10th Anniversary
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (June 4, 2013) – Gooding & Company, the official auction house of the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance acclaimed for selling the world's most significant and valuable collector cars, will be hosting the 10th Anniversary sale of the Pebble Beach Auctions on August 17 and 18. This year Gooding & Company offers an early preview of some of the most highly sought after and rapidly amassing value collectible – the distinguished Italian race car. Auction highlights include a...[Read more...]
156
166
166 F2
195
196
212
246
250 GT
250 Monza
250 Testarossa
275
288
308
312
328
330
333 SP
335
342 America
348
360
365
375
400
410
410 S
456
458
500 F2
500 Superfast
500 TR
512
512 BB/LM
550
553
575
599
612 Scaglietti
625
California
Dino
Enzo
F12berlinetta
F355
F40
F430
F430 GTC
F50
FF
LaFerrari
Mondial
Mondial 500
Testarossa
Type 340

Image Left 1970 365 GTB/41972 365 GTB/4 Image Right1972 365 GTB/4 Shooting Brake Image Right
© 1998-2014. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.