1955 Jaguar XK-140 news, pictures, specifications, and information
Convertible
In 1954 Jaguar introduced the XK140 as a replacement for the highly successful Jaguar XK120 that had first appeared in 1948. The XK Series was conceived by William Lyons as a sleek automobile that sat atop a short wheelbase in two-seat roadster configuration powered by a twin-cam engine. The XK120, named because of its 120 mph top speed, was powered by an engine that produced 160 horsepower. The XK140 received a larger 190 horsepower engine, rack-and-pinion steering, and more interior space. Interior space was gained by the repositioning of the engine and firewall, thus keeping the dimensions of the chassis identical to the XK120. This car was purchased new by Mr. Reddy's grandfather in 1956 and restoration was completed in 2005.
140MC Sports Roadster
The Jaguar XK-140 series was in production from 1954 to 1957. It was a continuation of the Jaguar 120 series, which had been introduced in 1949. The motor was Jaguar's venerable 3.4-liter, twin overhead cam motor that developed 210 horsepower.

The XK-140MC was fitted with the C-Type cylinder head, two-inch sand cast H8 carburetors, heavier front torsion bars and twin exhaust pipes. This model was known in the UK as an XK-140 SE.

The XK140 was available in three body styles: an open seat roadster, drophead coupe and fixed head coupe. The XK140 roadster had removable canvas and plastic side curtains and either a long or short tonneau cover to keep the cockpit dry when the top is down.
Convertible
XK 140 production lasted three years superseding the XK120 in the 1955 model year, and itself being replaced by the XK150 in 1957. There were useful improvement's the bigger brakes, the adoption of rack and pinion steering and the suspension with four-corner telescopic shock absorbers replacing lever arm activation. The 3442cc engine was now rated at 190 horsepower at 5500 RPM. The SE or MC model was rated at 210 horsepower. Inside the car, the firewall and dash pushed the engine forward by 3-inches so that there was more acceptable for taller rides.
Hardtop Coupe
Jaguar's XK140 Special Equipment Fixed Head Coupe - this example in Old English White and Red - was a popular American import, all part of Great Britain's 'export or die' promotion which was still going strong 10 years after WWII had ended. The XK140 was introduced in 1954, first sold as a 1955 model. The Xk150 followed it in 1958 with the XK-E, or E-Type, superseding it in 1961. Upgrades over the preceding were brakes, rack-and-pinion steering and telescopic shock absorbers (instead of lever arm.) The SE cylinder head came from the C-Type and offered 210 horsepower. The engine also had 2-inch sand-cast SU H8 carburetors, heavier torsion bars and twin exhausts.

The XK140 appeared from 1954 through 1957 and was an evolution of the 1949 revolutionary Xk120. It featured several improvements such as rack-and-pinion steering and Girling telescopic rear dampers. Other changes included much heavier bumpers and a revised roof line.
140MC Sports Roadster
Chassis Num: S811687
Engine Num: G5224-8S
Sold for $94,300 at 2013 Bonhams.
Jaguar offered a Special Equipment performance package for the XK-140 and examples so equipped, such as this Open Two-Seater, were designated MC models. The MC engine featured a higher-compression 'C-Type' cylinder head and had a dual exhaust system. Other updates included a pair of Lucas FT576 fog lamps, which were mounted above the front bumper, and a 210 horsepower engine.

This XK 140MC rolled off the line in Coventry on September 25th of 19555. It was finished in a triple blue combination of Pastel Blue over Dark Blue leather with Light Blue piping and a Blue top. It was dispatched to Hornburg in Los Angeles though it was not registered until 1957. It wears an older restoration and is currently finished in Carmine Red with tan hides.

The car was previously owned by James Schnute of Glen Ellyn Illinois and joined the Oldenburg Family Collection in May of 2006.

In 2013 this car was offered for sale at Bonhams Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $94,300 including buyer's premium.

By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2013
140MC Sports Roadster
Chassis Num: S 8111049
Engine Num: G-2212-8S
Sold for $137,500 at 2013 Gooding & Company.
This Jaguar XK140MC Roadster is an original left-hand-drive, US-delivery example factory equipped with the 'MC' package. The MC option comprised the 'M' or 'Special Equipment' package, including a crankshaft damper, dual exhaust pipes, enlarged SU H8 carburetors, twin fog lamps, and wire-spoke wheels. The 'C' designation indicates the addition of a high-compression, LeMans proven C-Type cylinder head raising engine output to 210 horsepower.

The car was completed on February 28th of 1955 and on March 30th of that year, it was shipped stateside to a Los Angeles-based Jaguar distributor. The car received a concours-quality restoration during the early to mid-1980s.

By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2013
140MC Sports Roadster
Chassis Num: S811918
The XK140 was the successor to the Xk120 model. The primary differences were increased interior space, better brakes, rack-and-pinion steering, increased suspension travel and the use of tubular shock absorbers.

This car carries matching numbers. It was initially delivered to an Air Force pilot in Alabama. The second owner held the car for many years and began a restoration. The car retains all its original sheet metal, and the mechanicals were restored by a technician who had previously worked in the Jaguar Factory. The interior materials were supplied by the company that supplied the factory.

The car was purchased as a Christmas present and has participated in JCNA Concours events.
140MC Convertible
Chassis Num: S 818857
Engine Num: G 8781-8S
Sold for $104,500 at 2014 RM Auctions.
Jaguar introduced their XK120 at the 1948 London Motor Show. A fixed-head coupe was added to the line in 1951, and a convertible, 'drophead coupe', with roll-up side windows and a more substantial top was added in 1953. The chassis was redesigned in 1955 with larger torsion bars, better brakes, and rack-and-pinion steering. The engine received higher-lift camshafts, which helped raise horsepower to 190. Subtle appearance changes were added, such as the grille was given fewer bars that were more widely spaced and full-width bumpers were added. Flashing directional signals were located in the front fenders, just above the bumper.

The cockpit became roomier when the engine was moved forward about three inches. This also required that the battery compartment was to be relocated into the front fender. The car was re-designated XK140 and two variants were added, the XK140 M, which included a crankshaft dampener, wire wheels, a dual exhaust, twin fog lamps, and windshield washers, and the XK140 MC, which added the big-valve cylinder head from the C-Type Jaguar, raising horsepower to 210. The three body styles continued in production through mid-1957, with each available in any of the three variants.

This particular example is a XK140 MC that has been in the current ownership for 15 years. In the early 2000s it was treated to a meticulous body-off restoration at Jaguars Unlimited in Chicago. The body was stripped to bare metal and refinished in red, and there is a new tan Connolly leather interior.

The car is a veteran of the California Mille, and has been upgraded with an aluminum radiator, an electric fan, and a Mallory electronic ignition system.

By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2014
140MC Convertible
Chassis Num: S811630D/N
Engine Num: G 4870-8S
Sold for $110,000 at 2015 Bonhams.
At the 1948 Earl's Court Show, Jaguar introduced its XK120. Years later, in 1954, it was followed by the XK140 which offered new features and improvements. It was given a redesigned box-section frame with a more supple suspension that included larger torsion bars and anti-roll bars, improved brakes, and rack-and-pinion steering to replace the earlier recirculating-ball system. Inside, there was a larger and more comfortable cockpit with increased legroom. This new space was created by moving the engine and transmission assembly forward by three inches, along with the firewall and instrument panel. The cowling and steering wheel were both raised. In both the front and rear were larger, full-width bumpers with over-riders. Beneath the bonnet and redesigned grille was a 3.4-liter twin-cam six-cylinder engine with higher-lift camshafts and an improved ignition system. The standard transmission was a four-cylinder unit with electric overdrive.

Even though the XK140 was a few hundred pounds heavier than the XK120, it was also faster, with a top speed in the neighborhood of 130 mph. For customers seeking even more performance, Jaguar offered a larger-valved cylinder head which gave an additional 20 horsepower.

Between 1954 and 1957, nearly 8,900 units of the XK140 were shipped from Coventry.

This particular Jaguar was completed on August 24, 1955 and delivered to the Charles Hornburg Motor Company in Los Angeles on September 5th. The original owner is not known. It eventually found its way to the east coast where it was cosmetically restored. Mr. Derek Gilchrist purchased the car around 2007, who had the engine, transmission, and rear axle overhauled by Dan Kelly at British Car Service in Sacramento, California. Additional work followed, this total restoration costs exceeding $150,000 over a three-year period. In October of 2012, the car was consigned for sale in Sacramento, and was purchased by the current owner.

This car currently has 68,817 miles on its odometer. It is finished in red paint with a black leather interior, black canvas top and tonneau cover, a set of correct side curtains, a handsome Motolita wood-and-alloy steering wheel, sparkling chromed-plated wire wheels, spare, jack, and tool roll. It also has a special hardwood tool that allows the chrome-plated knock-off spinners to be removed and installed without damage to the plating.

By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2015
Sports Roadster
Chassis Num: S 810715 DN
Sold for $154,000 at 2017 RM Auctions.
This Jaguar XK 140 was built to its current configuration for Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, Jaguar dealer, Christian Heuber. Mr. Heuber commissioned the car from two longtime Roger Penske racing mechanics, LeRoy Gane and Harry Tidmarsh, who had worked for Penske on everything from 'birdcage' Maseratis to TransAm Camaros.

The body is largely stock, and rides on new Borrani 15 x 7-icnh knock-off wheels, and new fenders formed from aluminum. The trunk lid was reshaped in a lighter-weight aluminum, eliminating the heavy wooden framing beneath. The interior seats are custom-fabricated, lightweight aluminum racing seats, facing dual racing windshields.

The engine and transmission were mounted front-to-back, lowering the center of gravity and improving front/rear weight balance. The block was overbored and stroked, to just over 4.5-liters, and fitted with Iskenderian-ground Piper camshafts, exceptionally large valves, Arias pistons with 10.5:1 compression, a complex multi-chambered oil pump, high-output oil pump, a substantial racing oil cooler, custom competition-style exhaust, and a lightweight aluminum bronze flywheel. The transmission is a competition CR Moss-type gearbox built by Alan George and Mr. Gane, with a double roller bearing lower shaft, robust overdrive, and a custom-built shifting tower, and connects to torque tube drive to a very heavy-duty Jaguar solid rear axle assembly. The suspension was outfitted with modern Aston Martin-type adjustable Panhard bars, while the rear suspension was specially designed by Gane and Tidmarsh.
In 1954 Jaguar introduced the XK140 as a replacement for the highly successful Jaguar XK120 that had first appeared in 1948. The XK Series was conceived by William Lyons as a sleek automobile that sat atop a short wheelbase in two-seat roadster configuration powered by a twin-cam engine. The XK120, named because of its 120 mph top speed, was powered by an engine that produced 160 horsepower. The 'X' represented the 'experimental' engine type while the letter 'K' was the sequence. The XK140 received a larger 190 horsepower engine, rack-and-pinion steering, and more interior space. Interior space was gained by the repositioning of the engine and firewall, thus keeping the dimensions of the chassis identical to the XK120. Minor improvements were done to the aesthetics of the vehicle. A Special Equipment package was available that included Dayton wire wheels and a 210 horsepower engine, the result of C-Type heads and dual exhaust.
The XK legacy continued with outright victories at LeMans in 1953, 1955, 1956 and 1957. This 24 hour grueling marathon is a true test of speed and endurance. The XK-Series proved to be the best.

Production continued through 1957 when it was replaced by the XK150. The XK140 carried on the success started by the XK120. The OTS version proved again to be the most popular with sales for the DHC and Fixed versions still respectable. In Jaguar lingo, 'OTS' refers to 'open two-seater' or 'roadster' while 'DHC' represents 'drophead coupe'. The roadster versions often featured removable side curtains instead of windows. The top could be folded behind the seats and conveniently hidden by the rear shroud. The DHC body has roll-up windows, wood interior, and an attached top that, when folded, would stick-up above the body.

By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2006
 
Recent Vehicle Additions

1951 Atlas Babycar 2S

1938 Mercedes-Benz 170V

2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI RS Concept

2017 Volkswagen Golf R Heritage Concept

2017 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Nardo Concept

2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack Country Concept
THREE TIMES FOUR: RM SOTHEBY'S BRINGS ASTON MARTIN TRINITY TO LONDON SALE WITH DB4GT, DB4 CONVERTIBLE AND DB4 SERIES II COUPÉ
• RM Sotheby's assembles 'holy trifecta' of DB4s for its 10th anniversary London sale, 7 September at Battersea Evolution • Trio led by original one-of-75 DB4GT, immaculate concours-standard Series V Convertible, and desirable left-hand-drive Series II Coupé • Aston Martin fans also catered for with classic 1953 DB2 Vantage and desirable 2009 DBS Volante • RM's Battersea sale the official auction of the UK's prestigious Concours of Elegance • Further information and frequently updated list...[Read more...]
15 Exciting Collector Automobiles to Watch During This January's Scottsdale, Arizona Car Week Auctions
Scottsdale, Arizona (January 13th, 2016) – Astute Collectors of the world's most sought after and most valuable automobiles know that Scottsdale, Arizona in January is where the market values for collector cars are established each year. As such, they make it primary lifestyle destination and year in and year out it is the one of only a select group of internationally recognized locations that provides all the fundamental essentials that attract the best buyers and sellers from around the world....[Read more...]
Fabulously Presented 1971 Maserati Ghibli Joins the Ever Growing Line Up of Incredible Offerings at Russo and Steele's 3rd Annual Newport Beach Collector Automobile Auction
Scottsdale, Arizona (May 12, 2015) – Launched at Turin in 1966, Maserati's Ghibli was appropriately named after the hot, dust-blowing wind currents of North Africa and featured handsomely tailored bodylines penned by a brilliant young Giorgetto Giugiaro for Ghia. The Ghibli's V-8 engine was a race-bred masterpiece initially displacing 4.7 liters, featuring dual-overhead camshaft and delivering 330 horsepower. Its tubular-frame chassis was derived from that of the Mexico and Quattroporte s...[Read more...]
Gooding & Company Adds Two Legendary Ferraris to Scottsdale Offerings Including a 1959 250 GT LWB California Spider
The two-day event will also drop the hammer on a 1962 Ferrari 400 Superamerica SWB Coupe Aerodinamico along with over a dozen other models from the Italian marque SANTA MONICA, Calif. (December 12, 2014) – Gooding & Company, the record-setting auction house acclaimed for selling the world's most significant and valuable collector cars, announced today the addition of two superlative Ferraris to its Scottsdale roster. New consignments include a 1959 Ferrari 250 GT LWB California...[Read more...]
Russo and Steele Collector Automobile Auctions Kicks Off 15th Anniversary with Eight Initial Offerings to Watch
Scottsdale, Arizona (December 1st, 2014) – For Enthusiasts – By Enthusiasts. ™ This is far more than a tagline at Russo and Steele Collector Automobile Auctions. It's a lifestyle, and we are gearing up to deliver that singular passion to the High Desert of sunny Scottsdale, Arizona for our annual flagship event during the world renowned collector car week. Additionally, Scottsdale marks the kick-off of the year-long celebration of our 15th anniversary. Held over five thrilling a...[Read more...]

1.5 Litre
C-Type
D-Type
E-Series
Mark
Mark IV
Mark IX
Mark V
Mark VII
Mark X
S-Type
SS 100
SS II
X-Type
XF
XJ
XJ-S
XJ220
XJR Group 44, IMSA, and Group C
XK
XK Series
XKSS

Image Left 1954 XK1401956 XK-140 Image Right
© 1998-2017. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.